A thread to help out some of our newer members (and also some longstanding members too!) with some of the more Frequently Asked Questions / Queries for some of the functions on the site…
Posting on the OriginalTrilogy•com…
The OT•com is a place for respect & civility on all of Star Wars - especially so for the Original Trilogy (the unaltered theatrical cuts, obviously) - yet also a respect for everything else from the ‘Galaxy Far Far Away’ too. Yes, even The Holiday Special, maybe…
Take your time to look around the site before posting - and to also get a feel for the place. We are not like reddit or 4chan etc (not that there’s anything wrong with those sites) - we’re just a little different… more of an old-skool site ‘for a more civilised age’.
The upshot is ‘Be Civil - Be Cool’; passionate - yet cordial discussion & wide-ranging views are both welcome and encouraged - toxicity, personal attacks, aggressive or vitriolic attitudes, trolls & WUM behaviour are not - and choosing that path will likely see your stay on here being a short one.
To paraphrase Irvin Kershner, quoted whilst directing Empire Strikes Back… ‘fight for what you love - not because you hate’.
A reminder that a significant number of members on here are fans made to feel unwelcome at certain other Star Wars sites - or were censored or even banned for discussing the unaltered cuts, or highlighting Lucas’ disingenuous statements & alterations to SW history.
Also, a number of preservationists, fan editors, and people making other fan-made projects (such as documentaries) over the years here on the OriginalTrilogy•com have received death threats, threats in general, and ‘threats to life’ - unless they ceased work on, or distribution of, their freely-available projects. These threats were made from other Star Wars fans / zealots who see such projects on here from this community… as somehow insulting or derogatory to George Lucas, the wider Star Wars fandom, or to their own beliefs.
Beliefs such as preservations of the unaltered theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy should no longer exist or be seen, or that fan edits desecrate George’s ‘vision’(s). Or fans seemingly deeply offended - even triggered to anger and threats - by cited articles, projects, and documentaries from fans here chronicling a more complete and accurate history of Star Wars… than that of the re-written, somewhat selective, and retconned version of history often found in official or licensed content and sources from Lucas / Lucasfilm.
OriginalTrilogy•com is a site to openly talk about the revered original cuts of the 3 iconic Star Wars films and its full, factual history.
We hope you enjoy your time on here - as thousands of others already have, currently do, and will - in the future to come. 👍
For the many of us wanting to have an official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy films…
❗ #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy | OriginalTrilogy•com’s enduring goal | How YOU can help… ❗
^ The OT•com supporting the #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy campaign - the call for an official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the three classic Star Wars films - and what YOU can do to help restore them to the galaxy. MTFBWY… Always.
The Index Categories / Queries are…
• Where can I learn a little more about the OriginalTrilogy•com site itself?
• Where can I find sources of information on the many alterations made to the Original Trilogy films?
• Is there a bullet point thread on here with the inconsistencies and retcons from George Lucas’ (or Lucasfilm’s) revisionism?
• Where can I find sources of information on the film crew who worked on the Original Trilogy films?
• ❗ #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy - the OriginalTrilogy•com supporting the campaign - and what YOU can do… ❗
• Posting on the OriginalTrilogy•com…
• What are the Site Rules & Guidelines?
• How do I report an issue? / Contact a Moderator?
• I would like to report a bug / request a site feature / have an idea…
• What is a ‘PM’? (and how do I send one?)
• I am receiving unwanted / harassing PMs on here - what do I do?
• I can’t find the Search function on the site - Is there one?
• How do I edit / update the title of my thread?
• How do I delete a post I accidentally made?
• Does the site have a NSFW (Not Safe For Work) Policy?
• Does this site have a social media page?
• How to post a ‘spoiler’ on this site…
• How to post an image or video on the OriginalTrilogy•com… (and some useful markdown guides too)
• How do I embed a video (from YouTube or Vimeo etc) on here?
• I see a lot of abbreviations & acronyms on here - what do they mean?
• Regarding any issues with verification emails when registering an account…
• I would like to change my username on here…
• How do I delete my account on here?
• Posting threads in the four Fan Project sections of the OriginalTrilogy•com…
• I have found a Fan Edit / Preservation I am interested in - but don’t know how to get / acquire / download it?
• How do I add my project thread to the ‘Project Index’ threads on here?
• Myspleen aren’t currently giving out invites / Can I have a Myspleen invite / Myspleen requests etc…
• What kind of download links can I post on this site?
• Why don’t you guys just have links to downloads (torrents and file share site links etc) on the OT•com?
• Where can I find Harmy’s Despecialized Editions, or adywan’s Revisted Edits, or Hal9000’s Prequel Edits, or Jambe Davdar’s Filmumentaries, or poita’s quality Star Wars projects, or the 4k77, 4K80 & 4K83 projects, or other quality endeavours?
• Why isn’t it easier to acquire Harmy’s Despecialized Editions?
• I don’t have a computer to acquire project X - or blu ray writer to burn project X to disc - please help…
• What are some of the other Fan Edit / Fan Project sites around?
• I have found some online sites and listing selling fan projects from on here…
A few reserved posts for future questions and info.
If you are new to the OriginalTrilogy•com then the following info may also be of some assistance…
The Welcome to the OT.com; Introduce yourself in here thread is just that; a good place to make your first post on here - and for more longstanding members to welcome new people to our community.
Secondly, the About and Help sections may be of interest to you regarding this site and what the OriginalTrilogy•com is about.
Thirdly, the Announcements Section - including Site Rules & Guidelines, Fan Edit & Preservation Rules & FAQ, as well info for Signatures, Linking Policy for Downloads, and Plot Spoiler Policy (and much more) that may be of use too.
If you are having any issues with the site, have a question, an idea to improve the site, or would like to give some feedback - then these can be done in the Feedback Forum and General Assistance sections.
There are also several Index Threads pinned at the top of many respective sections of the OT•com - which may help members find various topics of discussion, fan edits, preservations and other projects etc.
To Join the OT.com Discord server! click on the link. There is also the OriginalTrilogy.com Twitter too.
'An OriginalTrilogy.com Timeline | a history of the site | the why & how it came to be…’ chronicles both the history of this site & also it’s continuing evolution.
The ‘Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes’ thread by doubleofive contains many sources of information as to the numerous changes made to the Original Trilogy films over time - as well as serving as an insightful and comprehensive discussion thread and reference point on the subject.
Also, the ‘George Lucas: Star Wars Creator, Unreliable Narrator & Time Travelling Revisionist…’ thread attempts to highlight and catalog some of the revisionism, altering of history and contradictory claims by George Lucas / Lucasfilm as to the formation, planning and history of the Star Wars films and universe therein.
The ‘Some useful OT.com threads re the non-release of the theatrical OT | How you can help…’ thread - highlighting just a few of the many discussion threads on this site focusing on our love and appreciation for the Original Trilogy - and ongoing attempts to achieve a modern, high quality, official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the classic Star Wars movies.
The 'Naysayer Guide’ by people who DON’T want an unaltered theatrical release of the Original Trilogy - on a modern high quality digital format; with factual information and answers to many of the quite uninformed, somewhat ignorant, and incorrect claims & statements over the years by people who don’t want a new release of the original unaltered theatrical cuts.
Looking to acquire projects on here? Then please read this…
(and take the time to look around to see how this place works - and doesn’t - before posting requests for projects on here - thank you)
Many people on here just like to chat Star Wars… whether that’s mainly the Original Trilogy (and also the copious continuing changes made to it over the years), or the Prequel & Sequel Trilogies, the Standalone Stories, various animated tv series, The Holiday Special (shudders), the Ewok films, literature, comics, art, soundtracks & audio, collecting, gaming, and the future of the ‘Galaxy Far Far Away’ - or members who just talk about life in general in the Off Topic sections.
A fair few people join here for a particular Preservation Project, Fan Edit, documentary, blu ray or dvd cover etc. We ask that those who do… also have a look around; see if there are other Projects, Edits or works of interest to your liking. To give the Star Wars discussion threads a read through, or those in the Off Topic sections. To have a think about becoming a part of the community here; and consider not becoming a one-time poster… asking for a link to a project and to never be seen again.
Many of the projects on here have been undertaken by volunteers or enthusiasts who’ve devoted considerable time, effort, dedication and some expense… to locate, preserve, restore & archive - or edit - films and TV programs in their best possible presentation. This is often with painstaking commitment - yet all projects are available for free; not to mention our members also improving upon & sharing techniques, knowledge, technical assistance, experiences - and a few stories, along the way.
Joining up here and then creating a new thread along the lines ‘Give me the link to X’, ‘Where is project Y’, or going straight into a project thread and posting ‘How do I get these?’ doesn’t really fly on here - and will likely be ignored or deleted. Taking the time to learn about a project - by reading through the project thread - as well as how to acquire them; simply making an effort to be part of the community here, and how this place works, even if just leaving feedback for acquired projects, can go a long way…
NOTE: Many editors & preservationists choose not to make their projects available to ‘hit & runners’ or people with a post history of mainly asking for various projects - which is completely up to them. That some people join up here looking to simply take - instead of give something back; not even leaving a simple ‘thank you’, feedback or review, or join in with the community here - and instead move on to asking for more projects… is not encouraged. As above, such requests may likely be ignored.
The OriginalTrilogy•com is a community where a ‘read first - post after’ mantra benefits everyone here - especially for the ‘Fan Project’ sections. We appreciate some may be excited to see the projects that feature on here - information on how to acquire them is readily available - yet patience is also required. If you bring impatience, entitlement, aggressive or vitriolic attitudes, personal attacks, or toxicity… then expect some choice words in return - and also expect your stay on here to be a short one.
I have found a Fan Edit / Preservation Project I am interested in - but don’t know how to get / acquire / download it?
If you have a question, suggestion or would like to submit some info then please post it below.
And also let us know if you see any errors or broken links etc - thank you. 👍
Last updated: 21st June, 2022.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”
“Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” - Oddball, of The Awkward Squad