2019 Special Editions…
The changes to the Original Trilogy films & general 2019 Special Edition release discussion…
To any Rebels, Imperials, Guild Members and the dedicated scum and villainy from the OT•com reading this…
This is just one of a seven-part set of linked threads (see the end of this post for the links) to talk about each of the four main ‘Special Edition’ releases and the respective changes made to them over time - including a post for the original unaltered theatrical version, and also an unlikely scenario where “Somehow Lucas has returned!” with more changes made in yet another improbable future release.
The reason for these threads is try and help inform, educate and highlight any new fans who are unaware or are uninitiated with some the history of these continuing changes made to the three iconic Original Trilogy films (or be a reminder for
me some of more forgetful members here). As well as highlighting a lack of release for the Original Trilogy films in their classic pre-1997 Special Edition version, and also about some of the changes & tweaks made to the groundbreaking and award-winning OT films from 1977 to 1996 too…
To serve as a centralised discussion and information thread for each of the main Original Trilogy releases… and also an archive of some of the quality threads and posts on the subject which has taken place on here down the years - as well as any useful, insightful or informative articles elsewhere.
Or a chance to just chat some more about the specific & differing releases of the Original Trilogy 😃
Much credit to oojason for sending me his plans & ideas for the incomplete version of these threads - ‘I will finish what you started!’
Below is some hopefully useful & introductory information on the 2019 Special Edition release of the Original Trilogy films (or simply a reminder for us oldies)… 😉
The Announcement (+ Promo material) for the 2019 Special Edition:-
There was no announcement for the 2019 Special Edition changes or release of - they simply appeared on 12th November 2019 as part of the Disney+ streaming platform - and were noticed by fans watching the Original Trilogy films on the Disney+ subscription service.
There was an official video trailer for ‘The Complete Skywalker Saga’ being available on the Disney+ subscription-based streaming service, which appeared online during April of 2020:-
‘The Complete Skywalker Saga | Star Wars | Disney+’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsq9i6dsyII
Sources Of Information:-
‘What has changed?’ articles from StarWars•com…
No articles or information has been released for the 2019 Special Edition on the official Star Wars website or other social media platforms.
^ from ‘StarWars•com - An Oral History’ (a 2016 article) : https://www.starwars.com/news/starwars-com-an-oral-history
“November 26 will mark the 20th anniversary of StarWars•com. It’s somewhat hard to believe, considering the site originally launched in support of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition — itself a celebration of Star Wars’ same milestone.”
… and yet unfortunately it now doesn’t even inform fans about the changes made to the Star Wars Special Edition releases.
doublefive wrote three comprehensive articles which appeared on ‘The Digital Bits’ website highlighting the 2019 SE changes:-
Star Wars : https://thedigitalbits.com/featured/articles/sw-new-hope-disneyplus-4k-2019
Empire Strikes Back : https://thedigitalbits.com/featured/articles/sw-empire-disneyplus-4k-2019
Returned Of The Jedi https://thedigitalbits.com/featured/articles/sw-jedi-disneyplus-4k-2019
OT•com member 13las also came up with this informative video on the changes made to the 2019 SE / Maclunkey release:-
‘STAR WARS CHANGES (5 of 4) – Disney+ Version’:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESuLxJJFZtE - 11 minute video at the ‘Film Spaced’ YouTube channel.
13las other insightful ‘Changes’ videos on YouTube (5 of 4 😉) can be found here - SW : ESB : ROTJ : Prequels
Since the 1997 Special Editions through to the 2019 Maclunkey releases (all credit to doubleofive)…
‘Never forget that the Death Star has been in clear site of Yavin IV from the beginning of the battle since 1997 and this is how the Special Edition should have ended.':-
www.wired.com/story/put-original-star-wars-on-disney-plus (and scroll down to the ‘The Game Breaker’ section)
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #266: The Skywalker Saga (U.S. Release)’:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbY5XAwSLJc - 24 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #339: Aug. 2020 UK Black Border Releases (All 33)’ (Single film releases):-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEb9X5l0HQ - 37 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #286: The Skywalker Saga UK Releases’ (all 3 box sets - 4K UHD, blu ray, and DVD):-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6zt3tlbq1g - 20 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
• The Opening Post of the ‘Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes’ OT•com thread has an index for multiple source of information on many of the changes made to the Original Trilogy films over the years.
‘All Changes Made to Star Wars Original Trilogy’ - at the superb Marcelo Zuniga YouTube Channel
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video) PART I’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbzSH84mj0
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video) PART II’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbrVFP_f0w
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Comparison Video)’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWjPoqEhzg
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Comparison Video)’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2obEPFGrMs
^ The informative videos above were made in 2015 - and cover the changes from the OOT through to the 2011 SE release on blu ray.
For further information on the home releases of the 2019 Special Editions:-
• Star Wars Visual Comparisons - Website : Twitter - by doubleofive
• Star Wars On Video - Video Collector’s website
• Star Wars Home Video Reference website - projectcclarke’s website
• Star Wars on DVD (up to 2005) - Prillaman’s website portal
• Star Wars Release Info: 1982-2004 - DavisDVD•com website (via Archive•org)
• Star Wars - The Changes: 1997-2011 - DVDActive•com website (via Archive•org)
• ‘Star Wars home video releases’ - at Wookieepedia
• ‘Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga’ - at Wookieepedia
• bluray.com’s info pages for the UK releases of the 2019 OT SE 4K / blu ray / DVD single film releases - SW : ESB : ROTJ
• bluray.com’s info pages for the UK release of the 2019 SE Skywalker Saga blu ray box set - link
• bluray.com’s info pages for the UK release of the 27-disc Skywalker Saga 4K box set - link
Much confusion surrounds the differing releases of the 2019 Special Edition around the world - and the availability of it in different regions. At the time of writing this you cannot buy the 2019 SE release on single discs - it has to the be the 27-disc 4K Skywalker Saga (Amazon US link here).
In the rest of the world… over time… it has become possible to be able to buy single release discs of the 2019 Special Edition release (link to Amazon UK here)
And also as a region-free Skywalker Saga blu ray box set (link to Amazon UK here)
Also, you cannot buy the physical release of the 2019 Special Edition on the official Star Wars website…
If you were to click on, for example, the link to ‘Return Of The Jedi’:-
and then click on the ‘Stream / Buy button’ you will be directed to links to Amazon, Target, Walmart, Best Buy - all to the 2011 Special Edition releases, and at a considerable at price too!
‘Image of the 18-disc 2019 SE ‘Skywalker Saga’ blu ray box set’:-
^ available in most places outside the USA
Relevant online articles on the 2019 Special Editions:-
• ‘Disney+ viewers reporting more changes to Star Wars’ - at Film Stories UK
• ‘Han Shot First, but leave Lucas’ edits in Star Wars forever’ - at The Verge
• ‘A load of ‘MacClunkey’: will George Lucas’s Star Wars tinkering never end?’ - at The Guardian
• ‘The Han and Greedo shooting scene changed again (and probably not the way you wanted)’ -at The Washington Post
• ‘Lucasfilm changed Star Wars’ Han vs. Greedo scene again for Disney Plus’ - at Polygon
• ‘Star Wars (1977-1983) in 4K - with new changes’ - at the Movie Censorship website
• ‘OH MY GOD IT WAS CHANGED AGAIN - “Maclunkey” - Star Wars Changes’ - at the HelloGreedo YouTube channel
• ‘Disney Plus Star Wars changes: every difference compared to the Original Trilogy’ - at Total Film
• ‘Star Wars 27-Disc 4K Blu-ray Box Set Spotted on Best Buy Canada’ - at IGN
• ‘Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4K box set officially unveiled by Disney and Lucasfilm’ - at Flickering Myth
• ‘Nerdist Unboxes Best Buy Exclusive The Skywalker Saga 27-Disc 4K Blu-ray Boxed Set’ - at Jedi News
^ If anyone has any suggestions for any articles on the 2011 SE to be included here please post them below - thank you 👍
Relevant OriginalTrilogy•com threads on the 2019 Special Editions:-
• All Star Wars films released in 4K HDR on Disney Plus: 2019 SE with more changes
• Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4k UHD – 27 DISC Boxed Set – 3/31/2020
• Star Wars trilogy box sets coming next year? (2019 thread)
• Changes to the Disney+ 2019 SE of the Original Trilogy
• WIRED’s Article “Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts”, doubleofive’s Magnum Opus
• 4K restoration on Star Wars
• 2020 Blu Rays - are they worth it?
• How bad is the crop of the 2019 master of Empire Strikes Back compared to other releases?
• Info Wanted: 2011 vs 2019 blu rays
• '97 vs. '04 (and '11) - Your preference?
• DIF - Difference tool to spot visual changes - Current 2004 vs 2019 - by none
^ If anyone has any suggestions for any other OT•com threads to be included here please post them below - thank you 👍
A YouTube video of the original ‘Han Shot First’ scene - and all 4 changes made to it since:-
‘Han Shot First - All Changes Comparison (1977, 1997, 2004, 2011, 2019)’-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcswEZFvGgM - at the OriginalTrilogyDaily YouTube channel (2 mins long)
General online articles on the Special Edition changes & releases:-
• ‘Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts — All of Them’ - at Wired
• ‘What We Want And How To Make It’ - at SWVC, by doubleofive
• ‘Special Edition Changes’ at Saving Star Wars, by Zombie84
• ‘The Star Wars Special Editions’ - at The Star Wars Trilogy
• ‘15 Changes to the Original ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy That Still Make Us Crazy’ - at Yahoo Entertainment
• ‘Star Wars Original Trilogy Changes: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘Who Shot First? The Complete List Of Star Wars Changes’ (actually, it is more of an overview) - at Empire Online
• ‘Greedo Shoots First’ and ‘Greedo Shoots First, Take 4: Maclunkey’ - at SWVC, by doubleofive
• ‘Star Wars: 10 Worst Crimes Against the Original Trilogy’ - at Den Of Geek
• ‘The 12 Worst Changes George Lucas Made To Star Wars’ - at Goliath
• ‘How Star Wars’ Special Edition Ruined Mos Eisley’s Scum & Villainy’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘Star Wars: Why Do People Hate Vader’s Added Line in ROTJ So Much?’ - at CheatSheet
• ‘The Version of Star Wars on Disney+ Changes the Canon Once Again’ - at Wired
• ‘J.J. Abrams Wants The Original Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical Cuts To Be Released Again’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘The Star Wars Blu-Ray Blues’ - at Saving Star Wars (debunking Lucas’ 2010 claim of the ‘difficulties’ in restoring the OOT)
• ‘Save Star Wars’ - doubleofive’s Blog article (re Lucas’ disingenuous 2010 comments on the ‘difficulties’ of restoring the OOT)
• ‘Untouched is impossible: the story of Star Wars in film’ - 2010 article at ARS Technica
• ‘Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?’ - 2017 article at ARS Technica
General OriginalTrilogy•com threads covering the Special Edition changes & releases:-
• An Index & Help Thread for Original Trilogy Discussion
• An Index & Help Thread for Theatrical Cuts vs. Subsequent Releases
• Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes
• An OriginalTrilogy.com Timeline | a history of the site | the why & how it came to be…
• George Lucas: Unreliable Narrator & Time Travelling Revisionist
• A celebration of the Original Trilogy | Some informative threads | How you can help…
• Articles & info that highlight / call for a classic version release of the Original Trilogy
• 4K restoration on Star Wars
• Modern SE Revisionism
• Reasoning Behind Changes from Release to Release
• It seems like nobody involved in the making of the OT has spoken up about GL’s oppression of the OOT
• You’d think they’d clean this up - the unfixed issues of the 2004 OT SE DVD release…
• What HASN’T changed on the 2011 OT SE Blu-ray release – the uncorrected mistakes…
• Uncorrected mistakes or unfixed issues of the 2019 (Maclunkey) Original Trilogy release?
• Credits & Leaders Thread
‘The changes to the Original Trilogy films & general Special Edition discussion’ threads:-
• The OOT : link (1977-96)
• 1997 SE : link
• 2004 SE : link
• 2006 GOUT : link
• 2011 SE : link
• 2019 SE : link
• 2026 SE : link (“Somehow… Lucas has returned!”) - a possible future SE release (though unlikely)
If you know of any articles or OT•com threads that are relevant, or would improve this thread, please post them below - thank you.