The 2006 GOUT DVD Release
The changes to the OT films & general 2006 GOUT DVD discussion thread…
To any Rebels, Imperials, Guild Members and the dedicated scum and villainy from the OT•com reading this…
This is just one of a seven-part set of linked threads (see the end of this post for the links) to talk about each of the four main ‘Special Edition’ releases and the respective changes made to them over time - including a post for the original unaltered theatrical version, and also an unlikely scenario where “Somehow Lucas has returned!” with more changes made in yet another improbable future release.
The reason for these threads is try and help inform, educate and highlight any new fans who are unaware or are uninitiated with some the history of these continuing changes made to the three iconic Original Trilogy films (or be a reminder for
me some of more forgetful members here). As well as highlighting a lack of release for the Original Trilogy films in their classic pre-1997 Special Edition version, and also about some of the changes & tweaks made to the groundbreaking and award-winning OT films from 1977 to 1996 too…
To serve as a centralised discussion and information thread for each of the main Original Trilogy releases… and also an archive of some of the quality threads and posts on the subject which has taken place on here down the years - as well as any useful, insightful or informative articles elsewhere.
Or a chance to just chat some more about the 2006 DVD release of the unaltered theatrical Original Trilogy.
Much credit to oojason for sending me his plans & ideas for the incomplete version of these threads - ‘I will finish what you started!’
Below is some hopefully useful & introductory information on the GOUT release (or simply a reminder for us oldies)…
The Announcement (+ Promo material) for the 2006 GOUT bonus discs DVD release:-
‘The GOUT - aka the 2006 Original Trilogy DVD release’
(with the unaltered theatrical version of the OT films on bonus discs)
After a long campaign by Star Wars fans all over the world - and spearheaded by this very site since 2003…
…George Lucas finally gave in to the massive demand from fans for the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy - the version he said no longer existed anymore - to be released on DVD.
On 3rd May, 2006:
• StarWars•com announcement that the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy would be released on DVD:-
^ StarWars•com’s actual post on the announcement can be found here - via the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.
• Rebels striking from a hidden base (sort of) have won their first victory - as acknowledged by Lucasfilm…
A screenshot image of the article on the Baltimore Sun website from the 5th May 2006, featuring quotes from Lucasfilm spokesman John Singh about the OriginalTrilogy•com - the passion of the fans here - as well as acknowledging that the theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy films are “…the movies that some fans have always wanted own, because they’re the ones they first saw in theaters.”…
An abridged screenshot image of Jay’s post on the OriginalTrilogy•com at the time:-
^ Jay’s actual post can be found here - via the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine (read from the bottom of the page to the top)
Then, later in May… came the news that coming unaltered theatrical version release on DVD would be in letterbox format - and not anamorphic widescreen. Followed by the reveal that the transfer would be from what was used for the 1993 Definitive Edition Laserdiscs - a 13 year old project and, even back then (in 2006), of substandard quality - using compressed sound and adding DVNR to reduce the picture quality and detail further.
Upon learning of this, the previous claims on Jim Ward, Lucasfilm’s VP, quoted in the official announcement as returning…
“to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we’re very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars”
in the shade. Along his words of…
“Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters”
also ringing hollow.
Fans here and elsewhere then immediately contacted Lucasfilm via email, phonecalls, faxes, and letters - politely informing them of our dissatisfaction with their decision to use this lazy and substandard transfer as a means to release the theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy on DVD…
^ Jay’s actual post can be viewed here - via the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine (read from the bottom of the page to the top)
• Lucasfilm’s following PR statement in 2006 after receiving a barrage of criticism from fans for their choice to use such a 13 year old substandard and limited quality laserdisc transfer for the coming 2006 DVD release - complete with somewhat nonsensical and factually disingenuous reply:-
^ The actual post above can be viewed here - via the Internet Archive’s WayBack Machine
George Lucas in 2006, on the theatrical Original Trilogy films finally being made available on DVD - as bonus discs on a repackaged 2004 Special Edition DVD boxset - along with trailers for the “Lego Star Wars” game on the theatrical version discs:-
“It’s just the original versions, as they were. We didn’t do anything to it at all. But we’re not sure how many people want that… Now we’ll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether they wanted the improved versions. It’ll all come out in the end.”
Lucasfilm Vice-President Jim Ward was more forthcoming on the quality of this 2006 unaltered Original Trilogy DVD release:-
“It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that’s not as good as state of the art 2006.”
^ re the source for the 2006 unaltered Original Trilogy DVD release originally being used for a 1993 laserdisc release. To say nothing of the DNR and many other quality issues on the 2006 release.
So… the people did indeed speak - and did indeed want “the original” - and still do.
Though both George and Lucasfilm knew that anyway - and are on record as admitting this.
George’s comments above also highlight he didn’t seemingly consider that fans may have actually wanted both versions in the highest quality possible, using the best sources, with the love and respect they deserve.
• For more detailed information on the events surrounding the 2006 GOUT DVD release the following threads may be of some assistance:-
An OriginalTrilogy.com Timeline | a history of the site | the why & how it came to be…
George Lucas: Star Wars Creator, Unreliable Narrator and Time Travelling Revisionist
^ To date, the 2006 GOUT bonus disc release is the only time the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy has been officially available to buy and experience in your home on a digital format.
• ‘Star Wars Original Trilogy 2006 DVD Trailer’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtnEQS8ICw (3 minutes, 8 seconds long)
^ Only 20 seconds of time was dedicated to the unaltered theatrical version version in the above trailer - with the Lego Star Wars game & the release being a 2004 OT SE re-release taking up the remaining time.
Sources Of Information:-
Since the 1997 Special Editions through to the 2019 Maclunkey releases - EXCEPT the GOUT (all credit to doubleofive)…
‘Never forget that the Death Star has been in clear site of Yavin IV from the beginning of the battle since 1997 and this is how the Special Edition should have ended.':-
www.wired.com/story/put-original-star-wars-on-disney-plus (and scroll down to the ‘The Game Breaker’ section)
‘Got GOUT? The 2006 Original Version Bonus Feature Fiasco’:-
https://savestarwars.com/gout.html - article at the superb and comprehensive Saving Star Wars website
^ from Michael Kaminski - the author of the excellent and exhaustive ‘The Secret History Of Star Wars’ book.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #15: Original Trilogy on DVD, Part 2 (2006)’:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLEP76PHoo - 14 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #94: Original Trilogy DVD and Comic Packs (2006)’:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sVRJQChsig - 13 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #166: The Original Trilogy UK Collector’s Tin’:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C57km_81Adk - 15 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
‘From the Star Wars Home Video Library #187: Australian 30th Anniversary DVD Set’ (a 2007 GOUT DVD release):-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFTbiMkuEw - 21 minute video, from the Nathan P Butler YouTube channel.
• The Opening Post of the ‘Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes’ OT•com thread has an index for multiple source of information on many of the changes made to the Original Trilogy films over the years.
‘All Changes Made to Star Wars Original Trilogy’ - at the superb Marcelo Zuniga YouTube Channel
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video) PART I’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbzSH84mj0
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video) PART II’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbrVFP_f0w
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Comparison Video)’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWjPoqEhzg
• ‘All Changes Made to Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Comparison Video)’ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2obEPFGrMs
^ The informative videos above were made in 2015 - and cover the changes from the OOT through to the 2011 SE release on blu ray.
For further information on the home releases of the 2006 GOUT DVD release of the Original Trilogy:-
• Star Wars Visual Comparisons - Website : Twitter - by doubleofive
• Star Wars On Video - Video Collector’s website
• Star Wars Home Video Reference website - projectcclarke’s website
• Star Wars on DVD (up to 2005) - Prillaman’s website portal
• Star Wars Trilogy Limited Edition (2006 GOUT DVD) - Prillaman’s 2006 GOUT info / review website page
• Star Wars Release Info: 1982-2004 - DavisDVD•com website (via Archive•org)
• Star Wars - The Changes: 1997-2011 - DVDActive•com website (via Archive•org)
• ‘Star Wars home video releases’ - at Wookieepedia
• ‘Original Unaltered Trilogy’ (2006 GOUT DVD) - at Wookieepedia
A 2006 GOUT DVD Release poster:-
General online articles about the 2006 GOUT DVD Release:-
• BluRay.com page for the 2006 GOUT DVD Release - at bluray•com
• Original Star Wars Trilogy DVD Artwork Online - at MovieWeb
• Star Wars On DVD – Again - at CBS News
• Han shoots first on DVD - by CNet
• Original Version of Star Wars Trilogy Coming to DVD - by AWN
• Star Wars Trilogy to Be Released in Non-Anamorphic Widescreen Video - by MovieWeb
• Who’s The More Foolish… The Fool Or The Fool Who Buys His Non-Anamorphic DVDs - at Lard Biscuit Enterprises
• The unaltered Original Trilogy to be released on DVD (2006) - at TFn (Jedi Council Forums)
• Yikes… more OT STAR WARS DVD details have been released and Quint goes on a little rant… - at AICN
• The Star Wars Limited Edition Original Theatrical Version - review at CinemaBlend
• Star Wars Limited Edition 2006 DVD Review - review at IGN
• Star Wars, the GOUT edition… - review at Velocity Reviews
• AVForums Reviews for the 2006 GOUT DVD Release - SW : ESB : ROTJ
• DVDTalk website Reviews for the 2006 GOUT DVD Release: SW : ESB : ROTJ
• Star Wars on DVD - Reviews - Star Wars Trilogy Limited Edition - at the Prillaman website
• DVDs: Re-release of the Star Wars Trilogy - by Sound & Vision
• The Best Ways to Own the Original Star Wars Trilogy - at the redvdit website
• ‘Star Wars’: Where to Find the Theatrical Versions of the Original Trilogy - at Yahoo
• The Glass-Half-Full Gift Of The Only Official Unaltered Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - at SyFy•com
• Original ‘Star Wars’ films available on DVD, if you’re willing to settle - at The Star Tribune
• Why Finding The Original 1977 Star Wars Film Verges On The Impossible - at Inverse
• The 2006 Original Trilogy DVDs. Not quite what we wanted. - at Episode Nothing
• Original Unaltered Trilogy (2006) - at Wookieepedia
^ If anyone has any suggestions for any online articles on the GOUT release to be included here please post them below - thank you.
Relevant OriginalTrilogy•com threads on the 2006 GOUT DVD release:-
Obviously, there are countless OT•com threads about the 2006 GOUT DVD release of the original Trilogy on here - many of which can be found in the ‘Original Trilogy Discussion’, and the ‘Theatrical Cuts vs. Subsequent Releases’ sections of the site.
Here is just a small selection of threads…
• The OOT on DVD - then what? - by Figrin_Dan (2004 thread)
• Any truth to this? Lucas is releasing the three unaltered ORIGINAL Star Wars films? - by BentMyWookie
• IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED (The OOT being released on DVD) - by Nanner Split
• ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY OUT 09/2006 BY LUCASFILM - by rstammer
• We won! - by bomma
• What is GOUT? - by 5acrifice
• The Reason the OOT was released - by xombie84
• How “original” do you think it is going to be…? (the 2006 GOUT DVD release) - by Vess
• “GOUT” is not “unaltered”!?!?! - by g-force
• The Official 2006 Discs Will Be No Better Than What We Have! - by Neil S. Bulk
• Lucas talks about the Sept 12th Release of the O-OT - by CO
• Fox France confirms the French OOT release >NOT< to be anamorphic - by Vigo
• New DVDs NOT 16x9 - by seventiesfilmnut
• Why is the GOUT not anamorphic? - by Johnboy3434
• Make your voices heard! (again) - re the 2006 GOUT DVD being in letterbox format - by yanksno1
• OOT DVDs - interlaced or progressive? - by Moth3r
• The Official Lucasfilm Response - by Neil S. Bulk
• Soundtrack for Star Wars OOT DVD? - by BountyHunter
• OUT Audio: Pablo Speaks - by Zion
• Torn… To buy, or not to buy - by skyranger
• O-OT Star Wars “Bonus Disc” menus (www.starwars.com) - by Darth Cracker
• The “original crawl” on the new DVD is NOT the original crawl! Screenshot inside! - by zombie84
• 2006 OT DVD: The Crawl on Star Wars - by Cable-X1
• The GOUT crawl - by Darth Editous
• So, this is how the DVDs are going to look… - by Laserschwert
• 2006 OT DVD: Poll: So What are You Going to Do? - by ESHBG (just prior to the release of the GOUT)
• We have to buy this set at least to preserve it for the next generation of fans - by CO
• Original Trilogy DVD FAQ (Unofficial) - by TheCassidy
• Star Wars Trilogy - Original Theatrical Versions: 2006 DVD Flaw List - by Moth3r
• What’s missing from GOUT - by Darth Mallwalker
• Are the PAL GOUT DVDs upscaled from the NTSC masters? - by Moth3r
• What Has Changed? the 2006 OT DVD release… - by THX
• It has begun: StarWars.com to celebrate original films - by Zion
• SW.com: “First and ONLY Time” - by ESHBG
• Star Wars Trilogy tops IGN’s “Most Wanted DVDs” - by sybeman
• www.dvdempire.com O-OT pre-orders rankings (updated) - by CO
• Even Cosmo Magazine is Talking About the 09/12 Release… - by ESHBG
• first viewing of the 2006 OOT dvds - by grifter (re AICN’s preview)
• Original Trilogy DVD Article in Total Film - by Jambe Davdar
• First Impressions of the OOT … - by The Dark Lord
• 2006 OT DVD: Got mine! - by MST
• My store just got the new DVDs - by Scallenger
• 2006 OUT DVD to Definitive Collection LD comparison question? - by jhfagan
• 2006 DVD OOT - by bbbb
• For me…it all came out in the end… - by Cable-X1
• I heard the 2006 set with the GOUT is now gone… - by American Hominid
• DIF - Difference tool to spot visual changes - Current 2004 vs 2019 - by none
• Is GOUT resented? - by S_Matt
• Which is considered canon, the Special Edition or GOUT? - by knreuben
• Question about the 2006 “GOUT” DVDs - by drfsupercenter
• A question re the 2006 OT DVD versions - by Farquh
• Question about the 2006 dvds I think you call the GOUT - by Vaderisnothayden
• 9 years ago Lucasfilm announced the GOUT on DVD - by Haarspalter
• 10th Anniversary of the “GOUT” dvd release - by Knightmessenger
• Will you buy the OOT again? - by SW
• Could the 2006 DVDs become collector’s items? - by JamesEightBitStar
• The OOT has been officially unavailable for almost a decade now - by Lucas The Barbarian (final GOUT DVD pressings in 2011)
• How George Lucas created the O-OT fanbase… - by CO
• When/Why did you become an OT purist? - by DominicCobb
• Explaining the shoddy OOT treatment in public - by Vigo
• You know you’re an O-OT fan when… - by JennyS1138
• Random memories from 1977-83 - by CO
• Fondest Memory from the OT Days - by Cable-X1
• How do you feel about Star Wars being re-titled A New Hope in 1981? - by ray_afraid
^ If anyone has any suggestions for any OT•com threads on the GOUT release to be included here please post them below - thank you.
2006 GOUT DVD Improvement Projects can be found in ‘An Index Of Projects & Help Thread for Star Wars Preservations’.
General online articles on the Special Edition changes & releases:-
• ‘Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts — All of Them’ - at Wired
• ‘What We Want And How To Make It’ - at SWVC, by doubleofive
• ‘Special Edition Changes’ at Saving Star Wars, by Zombie84
• ‘The Star Wars Special Editions’ - at The Star Wars Trilogy
• ‘15 Changes to the Original ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy That Still Make Us Crazy’ - at Yahoo Entertainment
• ‘Star Wars Original Trilogy Changes: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘Who Shot First? The Complete List Of Star Wars Changes’ (actually, it is more of an overview) - at Empire Online
• ‘Greedo Shoots First’ and ‘Greedo Shoots First, Take 4: Maclunkey’ - at SWVC, by doubleofive
• ‘Star Wars: 10 Worst Crimes Against the Original Trilogy’ - at Den Of Geek
• ‘The 12 Worst Changes George Lucas Made To Star Wars’ - at Goliath
• ‘How Star Wars’ Special Edition Ruined Mos Eisley’s Scum & Villainy’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘Star Wars: Why Do People Hate Vader’s Added Line in ROTJ So Much?’ - at CheatSheet
• ‘The Version of Star Wars on Disney+ Changes the Canon Once Again’ - at Wired
• ‘J.J. Abrams Wants The Original Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical Cuts To Be Released Again’ - at ScreenRant
• ‘The Star Wars Blu-Ray Blues’ - at Saving Star Wars (debunking Lucas’ 2010 claim of the ‘difficulties’ in restoring the OOT)
• ‘Save Star Wars’ - doubleofive’s Blog article (re Lucas’ disingenuous 2010 comments on the ‘difficulties’ of restoring the OOT)
• ‘Untouched is impossible: the story of Star Wars in film’ - 2010 article at ARS Technica
• ‘Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?’ - 2017 article at ARS Technica
General OT•com threads covering the unaltered theatrical version & releases:-
• An Index & Help Thread for ‘Original Trilogy Discussion’
• An Index & Help Thread for ‘Theatrical Cuts vs. Subsequent Releases’
• Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes
• An OriginalTrilogy.com Timeline | a history of the site | the why & how it came to be…
• George Lucas: Star Wars Creator, Unreliable Narrator & Time Travelling Revisionist
• Some useful OT.com threads re the suppression of the theatrical Original Trilogy films
• The 'Naysayer Guide’ by people who DON’T want an unaltered theatrical release of the Original Trilogy…
• Articles & info that highlight / call for a classic version release of the Original Trilogy
• 4K restoration on Star Wars
• Modern SE Revisionism
• Reasoning Behind Changes from Release to Release
• It seems like nobody involved in the making of the OT has spoken up about GL’s oppression of the OOT
• You’d think they’d clean this up - the unfixed issues of the 2004 OT SE DVD release…
• What HASN’T changed on the 2011 OT SE Blu-ray release – the uncorrected mistakes…
• Uncorrected mistakes or unfixed issues of the 2019 (Maclunkey) Original Trilogy release?
• Credits & Leaders Thread
• Disney Plus should release all of the theatrical versions of the Star Wars movies
‘The changes to the Original Trilogy films & general Special Edition discussion’ threads:-
• The OOT (1977-1996)
• 1997 Special Edition
• 2004 Special Edition
• The 2006 GOUT DVD
• 2011 Special Edition
• 2019 Special Edition
• 2037 Special Edition (“Somehow… Lucas has returned!”) - or any possible future SE release.
If you know of any articles or OT•com threads that are relevant, or would improve this thread, please post them below - thank you.
The content of thread was originally part of the The OOT : The changes to the OT films & general (1977-96) discussion thread - though after a few suggestions from other members it seemed a good idea for the 2006 GOUT Release to have its own thread instead, so here we are!