Some useful and informative OT•com threads re the release of the unaltered theatrical Original Trilogy | How you can help…
An introductory thread highlighting countless fans’ love and appreciation for the three Original Trilogy films in their unaltered theatrical release form - and the importance of preserving them for future generations the world over to experience and enjoy. To also spotlight the tremendous collective effort and talent that went into making these three iconic and ground-breaking movies - some of which have been removed and replaced; unseen for many years (unless viewed on obsolete media formats)…
Highlighting Lucasfilm’s reluctance to even discuss or address the issue of preserving and releasing the original classic version of the three films - whilst also addressing the continuing passage of time without such a dedicated and quality official release…
Calling attention to the continuing changes made to the three films over the years, as well as the conflicting reasons given for the making continuing alterations to the Original Trilogy. And also covering the blurring of the Original Trilogy’s actual history in film with later revisions, retcons and some obfuscation…
…all as part of the dedicated and ongoing efforts here by fans all over the world to simply give people a choice; the option to buy and experience an official release of the unaltered award-winning classic Star Wars films - the very movies which underpin the entire Galaxy Far Far Away - on a modern, high quality, digital format - with the love, attention and respect they so deserve.
Below is a small selection of the many informative, insightful and quality threads on here which cover many various topics supporting the site’s enduring goal for an official dedicated release of the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy:-
• Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts—All of Them - doubleofive’s article for Wired. #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy
^ A quality and comprehensive article on why the films are important to the people who grew up with them, why they wish to have the option to experience them as they originally were released - as well as preserving important and cultural film history for everyone to experience. A reminder that the various ‘Special Edition’ versions are NOT the award-winning, iconic, landmark & ground-breaking original version of the films. And highlights just why we are here - some of us for many years, and some just taking our first steps…
#ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy • What We Want And How To Make It - a sequel piece by doubleofive to the above Wired article.
• “Disney+ Should Offer the Star Wars Original Cuts” 2020 article - on Wired (OT•com thread on the Wired article by doubleofive)
❗ #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy | OriginalTrilogy•com’s enduring goal | How YOU can help… ❗
^ The OT•com supporting the #ReleaseTheOriginalTrilogy campaign - the call for an official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the three classic Star Wars films - and what YOU can do to help restore them to the galaxy. MTFBWY… Always.
• That Star Wars Feeling… | What Star Wars has meant to you | How has Star Wars aged with you? | What feels most Star Wars
• Original Trilogy Film Crew & People Behind The Scenes: Profiles, Info & Links (some of the amazing people & talent on the OT)
• The 3 OT film ‘Behind The Scenes / Making Of image threads’ for… Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back : Return Of The Jedi
• It seems like nobody involved in the making of the OT has spoken up about GL’s oppression of the OOT
• Is it Lucas, or Fox, who has prevented the restored OOT release? (before Disney acquired Fox in 2019)
• There should be a proper release of the 1977 Star Wars at this point (1995 saw the last dedicated release of the unaltered OT)
• We have X in HD, but we still don’t have Star Wars
• Evidence of the OOT at Lucasfilm?
• What’s the status of the Originals? (the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy) (a 2013 discussion thread)
• 4K restoration on Star Wars (re the restoration work undertaken by Lowry Digital / Reliance Media Works, & the 2019 SE 4K release)
• I love the OOT fan projects on here - yet still want an official unaltered OT release. You?
• Our open letter to Disney and Lucasfilm & Dear Disney (in 2017; for the 40th Anniversary - Disney & Lucasfilm did not respond)
• George Lucas: Star Wars Creator, Unreliable Narrator & Time Travelling Revisionist…
• How George Lucas created the O-OT fanbase
• A Long Time Ago… - Share Your Star Wars Story (re the first time you saw the Original Trilogy films)
• How many times have you bought the movies?
• When/Why did you become an OT purist?
• “I am wondering…why are you here?”
• A More Civilized Age of Star Wars…now an Evil Empire in Dark Times - What to do?
• An OriginalTrilogy.com Timeline | a history of the site | the why & how it came to be…
• OriginalTrilogy.com in the Press
• Articles & info that highlight / call for a classic version release of the Original Trilogy
• Complete Comparison of Special Edition Visual Changes (with an Index for Sources of Info on the changes made to the OT films)
• An Index of OT•com threads on all things the Audio of the Original Trilogy (including the many audio changes and mixes)
• Reasoning Behind Changes from Release to Release
• You’d think they’d clean this up - the unfixed issues of the 2004 OT SE DVD release…
• What HASN’T changed on the 2011 OT SE Blu-ray release – the uncorrected mistakes…
• Uncorrected mistakes or unfixed issues of the 2019 SE (Maclunkey) Original Trilogy release?
• Modern SE Revisionism (retcons, mistakes, re-writing & the clouding of the history of the three iconic films… in official sources)
• I’ll never understand the attitude of people who oppose the release of the unaltered original trilogy
• The 'Naysayer Guide’ by people who DON’T want an unaltered theatrical release of the Original Trilogy…
• I thought the goal of this site was to get the original versions of The Star Wars Trilogy Episodes 4, 5, and 6 on DVD and blu-ray
How you can help… (on some damn-fool idealistic crusade - or something)…
The above collection of threads require continuing contributions and efforts from you - the members of this resourceful and resolute community - to keep these relevant and discerning sources of information maintained and updated… in a bid to help inform, educate, chronicle, and be a reference point for those who wish to know more about the unedited original versions. To contribute and improve upon these discussion threads - to share your stories of what the Original Trilogy means to you…
The same original version of the three films which have not had an official dedicated release to purchase and be experienced by the public for a quarter of a century - and counting. That a new generation of fans know little of - or have been misinformed by the retcons, revisionism and obfuscation of these pioneering and landmark films’ history.
The unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy which stood for 20 years, which underpins the entire Galaxy Far Far Away, remaining much-loved and often requested… and yet according to George Lucas… “no longer exist”.
To put it simply, it is your posts in striving to improve the above indexed threads and also keep them updated and maintained - that will determine how much of a benefit they can be to the wider community here - not just here in the present, but for the future too - also as a chronicle of quality, authentic and trusted information along the way.
So if you come across an insightful, informative, quality article, or piece of information - or have some thoughts, stories or ideas yourself that you’d like to talk about or share in the above threads - then please post them up…
We need your help, we can’t do this alone - some of us are ‘getting too old for this sort of thing’ - or something… 😉
Thanks - and may the force be with you… always.
For more info on the OT•com site and original mid-2000’s petition… see the Sites and Publications Supporting the Petition forum, as well as many threads in the Original Trilogy Discussion and Theatrical Cuts vs. Subsequent Releases sections…
…as well as the ‘Threads highlighting efforts for an official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy…’ section in the ‘Fandom’ category in the An Index & Help Thread for Original Trilogy Discussion…
From a certain point of view… every member who signed the petition, joined and registered here, or simply made a post or thread on here… is part of the collective fan effort to highlight the enduring wish for an official release of the unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy films. To experience these iconic, pioneering and much-loved movies on a modern digital format - with the love, care & respect they so longingly deserve…
The threads indexed above discuss topics surrounding the call for an official release of the much loved unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy - and benefit from your input and contributions. So we ask you, the resolute members of this
rebel base site to please help us to do just that - if you see any articles or information of quality, insight or interest, have any thoughts yourself you’d like to discuss, or stories you’d like to share… please add them to above threads. MTFBWY… always.
If you have any suggestions for quality & informative threads to be added to the above collection, please post them below - thank you.
Last Updated: 3rd December, 2021.
The quality ‘Be A Rebel’ poster above is by the very talented Vitor Camacho - more of his work can be found here at his Behance page.
‘The Star Wars Trilogy; three timeless adventures that changed movie-making forever!’ - no longer available.