Wikipedia Page | Wookieepedia Page | IMDB Page | StarWars.com - Clone Wars Announcement (via the Internet Archive) | StarWars.com - A Look at Clone Wars (via the Internet Archive) | CharacterDesignReferences.com - Art Of Clone Wars
Some good old fashioned animated Star Wars fun - sit back, relax and experience the much under-rated 3 x Emmy award winning series; 2 hours full of style, energy, and action - that unfortunately only ran for 3 short seasons. Though the series was so successful it did inspire the further spin-offs in 2008; ‘The Clone Wars’ theatrical film, and ‘The Clone Wars’ animated series…
For me, this Clone Wars series was the first time a genuine friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin was shown on-screen in the Prequel era (even after 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith film had aired). From their initial abrupt ‘Master & Apprentice’ relationship - transitioning through to respect, friendship, and finally brotherhood. It also improves the character of Anakin that we see in the PT films; and is something that also blends & holds with what we are told by Obi-Wan about Luke’s father in the 1977 film…
2003 Clone Wars also had some memorable portrayals for its adversaries or villains - the likes of the menacing and formidable characters such as Durge, Oro Dassyne, Grievous, San Hill, Asajj Ventress, Tikkes, Dooku, the Skakoan combat engineers, and Palpatine himself - characters not always as well-written or effective (and retconned)… when appearing in later series and films.
Any way you choose to experience this series - and ‘canon’ be damned - enjoy some quality & uniquely paced Star Wars action!
The edited 130 minute film - ‘Episode 2.5: Clone Wars’ by the talented & cunning editor ADigitalMan (info here) - is a quality watch too!
Honest Trailers finally got around to doing a video on this show - worth necrobumping this thread for, after 15 years… 😃
‘Honest Trailers | Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003)’
‘One animator stood against the Darkness and said to hell with making the Force balanced… I’m going to make it… Jack!’
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3CxQ-OmLkU - 5 minute video
Speaking of Trailers for ‘Clone Wars’…
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Commercials (2003-2004)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDBgnAzeME - a 6 minute video at the Longocony youtube channel.
General Grievous: The Perfect Evil Introduction (2003 Clone Wars)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=177oMdZkU9A - an 8 minute video at the Scendence youtube channel.
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Bridging the Saga (a feature program from the Season 1 DVD of Clone Wars - with George Lucas)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9LvVb84xo - an 8 minute video at the Surf Vidz youtube channel.
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Connecting The Dots (a feature program from the Season 2 DVD of Clone Wars - with Genndy Tartakovsky)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrnzh7AYVo - an 11 minute video at the Surf Vidz youtube channel.
This is quite an insightful and informative video too - as well as touching on some of the complex and engaging writing…
Why The 2003 Clone Wars Hit Different
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFVOt0Ex9vQ - an 18 minute video from the Savage Books youtube channel.
Another thoughtful review of 2003 Clone Wars…
Star Wars Clone Wars: The Most Underrated Star Wars Content (Micro Mini Series 2003-05): Video Essay
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeAnVFyxL4 - a 22 minute video at the MovieFlame youtube channel.
And another discerning video into the 2003 series…
‘My most CONTROVERSIAL Clone Wars Opinion’ (2003 Clone Wars is better than the 2008 The Clone Wars - and why)…
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSOGZyg7P4M - a 9 minute video at the Bombastic youtube channel.
A quality playlist for the insightful 2003 Clone Wars ‘Creator Commentaries’, for Volumes 1 & 2 from the DVD for the series:-
A few decent reviews and info pieces for the oft-overlooked 2003 Clone Wars series by Genndy Tartakovsky, with some articles and interviews with Genndy, which persuaded me to give this a re-watch (and I am very glad I did - it was a really fun blast!)…
• So what happened in between Eps II and III? - at the official Star Wars website, by Leland Chee (2005; via the WayBack Machine)
• Official Timeline for 2003 ‘Clone Wars’ series episodes - at the official Star Wars website, (2004; via the WayBack Machine)
• Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Review - at Tatooine Times (2019)
• Star Wars Day: The Best ‘Star Wars’ Movie is the One Nobody Talks About - at Indie Wire (2017)
• Why Genndy Tartakovsky’s CLONE WARS is still the best Star Wars anything EVER - at Comics Beat (2019)
• Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Is Low-Key the Best Star Wars TV Series - at CBR (2020)
• Why Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Clone Wars’ Has the Best Action in All of Star Wars - at Collider (2020)
• Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Remains Great - at Far Far Away News (2020)
• Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Clone Wars’: Why the Star Wars Microseries is Still Great - at MovieWeb (2022)
• Star Wars on TV: The Original Clone Wars - The greatest modern Star Wars adventure? Yep - at IGN (2008)
• Why Genndy Tartakovsky’s Star Wars: Clone Wars Isn’t Canon - at Screen Rant (2019)
• Star Wars Clone Wars: Which Parts of the Tartakovsky Series Can Still Be Canon? - at Den Of Geek (2021)
• Star Wars needs to acknowledge Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars once and for al - at SyFy (2020)
• How Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Clone Wars’ Was Ahead of Its Time - at Collider (2021)
• Before ‘The Bad Batch,’ Genndy Tartakovsky Gave Us the Best ‘Clone Wars’ Series - at Collider (2023)
• Why Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Is Better Than the 2008 Series - at CBR (2023)
• A Tale of Two Clone Wars: The Ravaging of EU Canon - at The Escapist (2022)
• How Star Wars: The Clone Wars Retconned the 2000s Clone Wars Series - at Den Of Geek (2020)
• Brotherhood Retcons Several Of The Most Amazing Lightsaber Battles Of All Time - at CBR (2022)
• STAR WARS: CLONE WARS and the Failure of the Expanded Universe - by David M Daut (2019) + The Chronological Star Wars
• The Only Truly Great Star Wars Prequel - 2003 Clone Wars - at Esquire (2021)
• Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003): A Truly Epic Tale of the Clone Wars and the Fall - at Cameron Movies & TV (2015)
• Why Genndy Tartakovsky’s CLONE WARS is still the best Star Wars anything EVER! - at ComicsBeat (2019)
• Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars (2003) Is the Best Star Wars Show You May Never See - at ScreenHub (2021)
• Retro-Reviews: The Clone Wars Micro-Series by Nathan Butler (2003-2005) - at Star Warz (2022)
• 10 Things From The 2003 Star Wars: Clone Wars Series That Should Be Canon Again - at CBR (2022)
• The 10 best moments from Genndy Tartakovsky’s 2003 Clone Wars animated series - at Star Wars Thoughts (2021)
Genndy himself on 2003 Clone Wars…
• Genndy Tartakovsky interview with Sci-Fi-Online - on Clone Wars in 2005 - at Review Graveyard (2005)
• Tartakovsky Talks About The State Of His SW: Clone Wars Micro-Series - at TFn (2012)
• How LucasFilm Erased Genndy Tartakovsky’s Version Of ‘Clone Wars’ - at Huffington Post (2012)
• Genndy Tartakovsky Speaks Out About His Star Wars: Clone Wars Animated Series - at Superhero Hype (2020)
• Star Wars: Tartakovsky Explains Why His Clone Wars Series Resonates With Fans - at CBR (2021)
• Star Wars Director Says He’ll Never Go Back To The Franchise - at Giant Freakin Robot (2023)
• Original Clone Wars Driector explains why it was so short - at Nerdist (2023)
• Genndy Tartakovsky talks Clone Wars - at Wired (2023)
Preservation Projects and Fan Edits for 2003 Clone Wars…
• Recreating the TV Edits of the 2003 Clone Wars Series (HD) - preservation project thread, by David M Daut (2018)
• Other 2003 Clone Wars Preservation Projects - in the ‘Star Wars Preservations’ section of this site.
^ at the Clone Wars boss explains “suspicious” similarities between his show and The Force Awakens interview in 2021 at Digital Spy.
For further reading on subsequent Star Wars content retconning and re-writing events and history depicted in 2003 Clone Wars - notably Lucas and Filoni’s 2008 ‘The Clone Wars’ film & TV series, this intriguing ‘info post’ by Caston, may be of interest.
^ It also features articles and links to some of the many retcons that Dave Filoni has made to other creatives’ original work in the Galaxy Far Far Away… such as the Expanded Universe, both Legends & Canon, the Prequel Trilogy films, 2003 Clone Wars, Rebels, The Bad Batch, The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, Tales of the Jedi, Ahsoka, and possibly his ‘New Republic’ film too.
‘Clone Wars’ multimedia project: 2002-2007…
It is worth remembering this 2003 animated series was just a part of the whole Clone Wars multimedia project from the time…
'This Clone Wars multimedia project was a three-year project created by Lucasfilm Ltd., in conjunction with Del Rey, Dark Horse Comics, Cartoon Network, and LucasArts.
Set largely between the films Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (in terms of both in-universe and real-life chronology), the ‘Clone Wars multimedia project’ attempted to tell the story of the Clone Wars in real time — through books, comics, television, and video games. This echoes the previous project, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.’
^ from https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_multimedia_project
Along with the 2003 animated TV series, there was also… 8 novels, 3 short stories for ‘Star Wars Insider’, the 4 short stories and e-books which became the ‘Hasbro Short Story Collection’, many many comics, several video games, and the toys… (of course!)
Clone Wars: A Visual Timeline - at ModDB. Credit and kudos to ‘Delta289’. A backup can be found here - https://archive.is/0cYlr
^ a superb, engaging, and most useful resource… for anyone wanting to revisit the original Clone Wars timeline - as from the many various sources that consisted of the multimedia project for Clone Wars at that time…
• The Novels…
Eight official novels were written in the ‘Clone Wars’ series. They were each given the designation: “A Clone Wars novel”:-
• Legacy of the Jedi
• The Cestus Deception
• MedStar I: Battle Surgeons
• MedStar II: Jedi Healer
• Jedi Trial
• Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
• Republic Commando: Hard Contact - a tie-in to the ‘Republic Commando’ video game, and part of “A Clone Wars” novel series.
^ the above links are to Wookieepedia pages - for information on the releases of each “A Clone Wars” novel.
• The Short Stories…
The 3 short stories for Star Wars Insider:-
• The Clone Wars: The Pengalan Tradeoff
• Hero of Cartao
• League of Spies
The 4 short stories and e-books:-
• The Hive
• Storm Fleet Warnings
^ the last 3 short stories listed above also made up the ‘Hasbro Short Story Collection’.
'The comics segment of the Clone Wars storyline was told primarily through the ‘Star Wars: Republic’ serial, starting with Issue 49 (four issues after the comic had been renamed from Star Wars to ‘Star Wars: Republic’) and continuing until the final Issue 83.
It was in the Republic comics that Anakin Skywalker got the scar on his face that he has in Episode III.
The five-part ‘Obsession’ and ‘Jedi’ comics, and the ‘Star Wars—Free Comic Book Day 2005 Special’, ‘Purge’, and ‘Routine Valor’ one-shots, were tie-ins to the Republic Clone Wars storyline. Together, the comics were collected into the nine-part Star Wars: Clone Wars trade-paperback series.
^ An image of the covers for the 9-part Star Wars: Clone Wars trade-paperback series (as found on reddit):-
^ A collection of 10 ‘Clone Wars Adventures comics’, based on the art of the 2003 TV show, were also released.
All Clone Wars comics were published by Dark Horse Comics.’
^ from https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_multimedia_project#Comics
• The video games…
• Star Wars: The Clone Wars
• Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
• Star Wars: Republic Commando
Other games depicting the Clone Wars are Star Wars: Battlefront, which contained several levels depicting both original and movie, comic, or game-based Clone Wars battles, released on September 20, 2004.
The sequel, Star Wars: Battlefront II, again with Clone Wars missions, was released on November 1, 2005.
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter was released March 10 in 2002, with Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns released shortly after Episode II.
^ Many of the computer-game characters had the same voice actors as in the 2003 ‘Clone Wars’ animated series.
• The Toys…
RebelScum•com’s website page for ‘Clone Wars’ toy line - www.rebelscum.com/CloneWars.asp - with images and info for…
Basic Figures, Deluxe Figures, Multipacks, Vehicles, Animated Figures, Weapons & Accessories Guide, Role Play, Video Games, Books, Comic Books, Magazines, Trading Cards, and Maquettes.
Every Hasbro ‘Star Wars: CLONE WARS’ - 2003/04 Tartakovsky Action Figure EVER | Jcc2224
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7J1zzSJiA8 - a 22 minute video at the Jcc2224 youtube channel.
Star Wars Clone Wars toys by Hasbro ad from 2003
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8o7Fd1x5BY - a 30 second video at the Sum Square Stories youtube channel.
2003 Clone Wars Tartokovsky Animated Action Figure Collection Tour!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4cjdIXDqR0 - a 24 minute video at the Rustbelt Collector youtube channel.
A little more information on the 2003 Clone Wars series toys and figures…
www.rebelscum.com/ch-cw.asp & www.rebelscum.com/tcwfigures.asp (and links to other 2003 Clone Wars material)
‘LEGO explains why we randomly got that one Star Wars: Clone Wars 2003 set’ (in 2015) - at BrickFanatics
In 2021, as part of the then Lucasfilm’s 50th anniversary, a range of figures for 2003 Clone Wars was released:-
New Black Series and Vintage Collection Figures to Celebrate the Clone Wars 2D Micro-Series - at StarWars•com
Star Wars Brings Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars to The Vintage Collection - at CBR
‘Star Wars’: Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Clone Wars 2D Micro–Series’ Gets the Black Series Treatment - at Collider
Hasbro Reveals Packaging for Star Wars Clone Wars Micro-Series Figures - at Bleeding Cool
Hasbro Star Wars Vintage & Black Series figures incoming from the 2003 Clone Wars - at MePhitSu
• The Soundtrack…
Although an official soundtrack by James L. Venable and Paul Dinletir was seemingly recorded, it was never released.
Various fan-made ‘interpretations’ / versions of such a soundtrack have appeared on youtube etc. Like this, for example:-
‘Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003) Complete Soundtrack VOL.1’
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIUQkQCkYg - a 57-track, 39 minute video, at the Unreleased Soundtrack - New youtube channel.
^ the above cover art is fan-made - by the impressive JT00567, at DeviantArt.
• The Legacy…
'On April 25, 2014, the contents of the Clone Wars multimedia project were declared part of the continuity of Star Wars Legends and non-canon as a whole, though certain book titles would remain in print under the “Legends” banner.
Prior to this declaration, much of the material within the Clone Wars multimedia project had been directly contradicted by material from Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 animated series), which often told its stories without regard to continuity previously established within this project and was declared part of the new canon continuity.
One such example was that the episode “Nightsisters” presented an entirely different background for the character of Asajj Ventress from that shown in previous material.’
^ from https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_multimedia_project#Legacy
Two of the other, and quite similar, type of ‘Star Wars multimedia projects’…
Shadows Of The Empire | Lucasfilm’s mid-to-late 1990’s EU multimedia project - OT•com info & discussion thread.
The Force Unleashed | Lucasfilm’s 2007-2010 EU multimedia project - OT•com info & discussion thread.
Some other OriginalTrilogy•com threads on Genndy Tartakovsky’s 2003 Clone Wars series…
• What is the best way to watch Clone Wars (2003) - 2021 thread
• More Clone Wars Cartoons directly before Ep3 - 2004 news thread
• Close Wars cartoon - I’m sorry, but i thought this sucked - 2005 thread
• Clone Wars - new season discussion - new season discussion thread for 2005
• Clone Wars Animated DVDs - 2004 thread
• Clone Wars toon - title crawl? - 2005 thread
• 2003 Clone Wars vs 2008 The Clone Wars - 2014 comparison thread
An Index Of Projects for Star Wars Preservations is worth checking out, too.
An Index Of Projects for Star Wars Fan Edits is also well worth a look through for 2003 Clone Wars projects.
As of 2nd April 2021, the 2003 ‘Clone Wars’ animated series is now available in the ‘Vintage Star Wars’ section on Disney+…
‘Genndy Tartakovsky’s animated Clone Wars series finally coming to Disney Plus’:-
^ ‘One of the best Star Wars projects ever is finally coming to Disney Plus for easy streaming. ‘Star Wars: Clone Wars’, an animated series created by legendary animator Genndy Tartakovsky, is coming to the streaming service on April 2.’
a few articles rejoicing that the 2003 Clone Wars series is finally available on Disney+…
‘Watch Star Wars Vintage: Clone Wars 2D Micro-Series’ - at Disney+
‘Clone Wars 2003: The best Star Wars series is finally on Disney+’ - at Inverse
‘The original Star Wars: Clone Wars still kicks ass’ - at TechRadar
‘The Only Truly Great Star Wars Prequel Is Now on Disney+’ - at Esquire
‘The best ‘Star Wars’ animated show is finally coming to streaming’ - at Collider
‘Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars proves General Grievous was actually cool’ - at Polygon
‘Star Wars: Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Is On Disney+ Now, And You Should Watch It’ - at BOLS
‘Why You Should Watch ‘Star Wars: Clone Wars’ (2003 Series)’ - at The Indiependent
‘Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Clone Wars’: Why the Star Wars Microseries is Still Great’ - at MovieWeb
‘The Best Clone Wars Cartoon Is Coming Back’ - at Kotaku
Now if only other older versions of Star Wars content could somehow be put up in the ‘Vintage Star Wars’ section on Disney+…
[cough] The unaltered theatrical version of the Original Trilogy. Even the 1997 Special Editions, the 2004 Special Edition DVD version, and 2011 Special Edition blu-ray versions - all older versions of the OT that us fans grew up with over the years! [cough]
(it is indeed a bad cough, I know! 😉)…
2023 Edit: The 20th anniversary of Clone Wars is this year: 7th November, 2003 (the airdate of CW on the Cartoon Network). 👍
It should be interesting to see if and how this once-official, canon, and multi-award winning addition of the Star Wars universe is acknowledged and celebrated. Other than the usual ‘cheap and easy way’ of cash-grab merchandising (overpriced t-shirts, hats, badges, apparel, lego, figures, ‘limited edition’ toy lines etc) - with just a cool looking ‘20th anniversary’ logo stuck on them…
Nothing at all was done at 2023 Star Wars Celebration. Though there were '15th anniversary’ panels for 2008’s The Clone Wars.
^ the cool looking official 20th anniversary logo for Clone Wars.
If there is any 20th anniversary content for 2003 Clone Wars - even if just a handful of online articles in the media celebrating Genndy’s series - I’ll post them up in here, below…
7th November 2023 Edit…
20 Years Ago Today, Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Changed Star Wars Forever - at Gizmodo
Fans Celebrate 20 Years Of Clone Wars By Remembering The Most Epic Asajj Ventress Lightsaber Duel - at ScreenRant
“Your Fall Will Be My Ascension To The Sith”: CW Lightsaber Duel Is Still One Of The Best In Star Wars History - at ScreenRant
20 Years of Star Wars: Clone Wars - at GateCrashers
10 Ways Genndy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars Changed Star Wars Forever - at ScreenRant
Happy 20th anniversary to Gennedy Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars! What were some of your favorite memories? - at r/StarWars
Star Wars: Clone Wars premiered on Cartoon Network 20 years ago today - discussion at wookieepedia
^ and yet nothing at all on the official Star Wars site… nor any of its social media platforms, marking Clone Wars’ 20th anniversary.
Many people say you cannot hear gifs. When I see this gif below I always hear that sound of the rain hitting the saber…