Sign In

Rian Johnson to Head New Star Wars Trilogy — Page 8

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

I think all those Imperials died when the station they were on blew up, so Vader didn’t get to throttle any of them.

At least he got to mind-trick one of them to wander out an airlock.

Author
Time

It’s been a while since I read that issue. Thanks!

And I’ve done that sort of thing with cheat codes in Jedi Outcast in the past. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

That was one of my favorite two issue arcs of the series ! Archie Goodwin also did a story where Imperial officers plot to assasinate Vader in the newspaper strip around the same time those issues were published .That attempt failed as well .

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

leetwall31 said:

Also,they gave Rian the new trilogy before the movie came out. There were no box office numbers, so I don’t know why you’re brining that up.

Disney changed directors three quarters of the way through the production of Solo. Theyre clearly not afraid to make a course correction when they think it needs to be made. I suspect they’re more than happy with their choice of Rian as director now.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

I really hope that’s not true. And it’s not the just the internet. Majority of my friends (whom aren’t Star Wars fans in the first place) really didn’t care for it. I can’t recall hearing any good opinions on it the time it came out. It was always “eh”.

I get what your saying, but anecdotal information isn’t really evidence. Many of the people I know who saw the movie liked it, and I read a lot of good opinions about the movie. Does that make me right?

All opinions are anecdotal. That kinda defeats the purpose of this discussion. But damn, I really wanna find some people who liked it now. I knew nobody who did.

Since you seem to care, for what it’s worth I know no one who didn’t like it. Have a couple friends who disliked certain aspects, but that’s as harsh as it gets. Most of us are baffled by the backlash.

Interesting. Would you describe your friends as Star Wars fans?

Speaking for the people who think it’s a silly movie, it comes off like fast food. It’s just so obviously fake, processed and insincere. We can’t help but look at the people who defend it as kinda silly themselves, because to us it’s just such an obviously poor attempt to be what it is. But most people may miss that because it’s packaged in a specific way that averts you from it’s flaws. It doesn’t expect you to think, and if you did, you’d recognize that it’s not good too.

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

I guess you could call me a hipster; I think the prequels are better than the originals, and I think the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.

Author
Time

leetwall31 said:

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

I really hope that’s not true. And it’s not the just the internet. Majority of my friends (whom aren’t Star Wars fans in the first place) really didn’t care for it. I can’t recall hearing any good opinions on it the time it came out. It was always “eh”.

I get what your saying, but anecdotal information isn’t really evidence. Many of the people I know who saw the movie liked it, and I read a lot of good opinions about the movie. Does that make me right?

All opinions are anecdotal. That kinda defeats the purpose of this discussion. But damn, I really wanna find some people who liked it now. I knew nobody who did.

Since you seem to care, for what it’s worth I know no one who didn’t like it. Have a couple friends who disliked certain aspects, but that’s as harsh as it gets. Most of us are baffled by the backlash.

Interesting. Would you describe your friends as Star Wars fans?

Yes. In fact I’d say that the people who like it less are the people who are less of fans. I like it more than anyone I know personally and am also the biggest SW fan I know. If that helps with your research.

Speaking for the people who think it’s a silly movie, it comes off like fast food. It’s just so obviously fake, processed and insincere. We can’t help but look at the people who defend it as kinda silly themselves, because to us it’s just such an obviously poor attempt to be what it is. But most people may miss that because it’s packaged in a specific way that averts you from it’s flaws. It doesn’t expect you to think, and if you did, you’d recognize that it’s not good too.

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

I am deeply disappointed that I have lost your respect. I don’t know what I will ever do without it. Maybe someday I can be as smart as you.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

I really hope that’s not true. And it’s not the just the internet. Majority of my friends (whom aren’t Star Wars fans in the first place) really didn’t care for it. I can’t recall hearing any good opinions on it the time it came out. It was always “eh”.

I get what your saying, but anecdotal information isn’t really evidence. Many of the people I know who saw the movie liked it, and I read a lot of good opinions about the movie. Does that make me right?

All opinions are anecdotal. That kinda defeats the purpose of this discussion. But damn, I really wanna find some people who liked it now. I knew nobody who did.

Since you seem to care, for what it’s worth I know no one who didn’t like it. Have a couple friends who disliked certain aspects, but that’s as harsh as it gets. Most of us are baffled by the backlash.

Interesting. Would you describe your friends as Star Wars fans?

Yes. In fact I’d say that the people who like it less are the people who are less of fans. I like it more than anyone I know personally and am also the biggest SW fan I know. If that helps with your research.

That makes sense. See none of the people I asked were Star Wars fans. I think only the big fans like this movie, mainly because it’s just Star Wars. If people who don’t really care about Star Wars don’t like it, then that says a lot, because they’re judging it on the basis of whether or not it’s a good movie by itself. I think their opinion matters more. Star Wars fans will love it (duh), but what will ordinary people think?

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

Speaking for the people who think it’s a silly movie, it comes off like fast food. It’s just so obviously fake, processed and insincere. We can’t help but look at the people who defend it as kinda silly themselves, because to us it’s just such an obviously poor attempt to be what it is. But most people may miss that because it’s packaged in a specific way that averts you from it’s flaws. It doesn’t expect you to think, and if you did, you’d recognize that it’s not good too.

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

I am deeply disappointed that I have lost your respect. I don’t know what I will ever do without it. Maybe someday I can be as smart as you.

That was really immature.

I guess you could call me a hipster; I think the prequels are better than the originals, and I think the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.

Author
Time

leetwall31 said:

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

This feels very narrow-minded to me, that you would lose respect for a person just because they like a certain movie. At least your being honest, I guess.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

This feels very narrow-minded to me, that you would lose respect for a person just because they like a certain movie. At least your being honest, I guess.

You know what, you’re right man. It was narrow-minded of me. DominicCobb, I’m sorry about that. Losing respect over something like this is silly. I was wrong for that.

I don’t even know you man; I’m the one who’s being silly!

I guess you could call me a hipster; I think the prequels are better than the originals, and I think the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

leetwall31 said:

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

I really hope that’s not true. And it’s not the just the internet. Majority of my friends (whom aren’t Star Wars fans in the first place) really didn’t care for it. I can’t recall hearing any good opinions on it the time it came out. It was always “eh”.

I get what your saying, but anecdotal information isn’t really evidence. Many of the people I know who saw the movie liked it, and I read a lot of good opinions about the movie. Does that make me right?

All opinions are anecdotal. That kinda defeats the purpose of this discussion. But damn, I really wanna find some people who liked it now. I knew nobody who did.

Since you seem to care, for what it’s worth I know no one who didn’t like it. Have a couple friends who disliked certain aspects, but that’s as harsh as it gets. Most of us are baffled by the backlash.

Interesting. Would you describe your friends as Star Wars fans?

Yes. In fact I’d say that the people who like it less are the people who are less of fans. I like it more than anyone I know personally and am also the biggest SW fan I know. If that helps with your research.

That makes sense. See none of the people I asked were Star Wars fans. I think only the big fans like this movie, mainly because it’s just Star Wars. If people who don’t really care about Star Wars don’t like it, then that says a lot, because they’re judging it on the basis of whether or not it’s a good movie by itself. I think their opinion matters more. Star Wars fans will love it (duh), but what will ordinary people think?

I can’t really speak to that. I love it because in my mind it is a good movie first, and a great Star Wars movie second (I also consider myself a film fan first and a Star Wars fan second). I also wouldn’t categorize my friends who like it less as “ordinary people”/non-Star Wars fans. In fact, the reasons they gave for disliking it were all things that they felt didn’t fit in a Star Wars movie, in their minds (there were arguments had, I assure you).

I haven’t really talked about it with non-friends/“ordinary people,” so I’d have to think about that. I know after it came out I talked with a coworker who thought I’d hate it because I was a Star Wars fan and there was the backlash and whatever. She liked it (and didn’t understand what said backlash was about). Don’t know if she’s even seen all the Star Wars movies.

DominicCobb said:

leetwall31 said:

Speaking for the people who think it’s a silly movie, it comes off like fast food. It’s just so obviously fake, processed and insincere. We can’t help but look at the people who defend it as kinda silly themselves, because to us it’s just such an obviously poor attempt to be what it is. But most people may miss that because it’s packaged in a specific way that averts you from it’s flaws. It doesn’t expect you to think, and if you did, you’d recognize that it’s not good too.

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

I am deeply disappointed that I have lost your respect. I don’t know what I will ever do without it. Maybe someday I can be as smart as you.

That was really immature.

Oh, I’m sorry. I’m, what was the word you used? “Silly.” That’s right. My bad.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

leetwall31 said:

It’s fine that you like it and have your own opinion about it, but it’s just that you lose our respect a bit, and seem less credible to us about what makes a good movie a good movie.

This feels very narrow-minded to me, that you would lose respect for a person just because they like a certain movie. At least your being honest, I guess.

See, honesty is fine. But I think my approach is preferable, where I merely imply that because someone else has a different opinion that I respect them less.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

I can’t really speak to that. I love it because in my mind it is a good movie first, and a great Star Wars movie second (I also consider myself a film fan first and a Star Wars fan second). I also wouldn’t categorize my friends who like it less as “ordinary people”/non-Star Wars fans. In fact, the reasons they gave for disliking it were all things that they felt didn’t fit in a Star Wars movie, in their minds (there were arguments had, I assure you).

I haven’t really talked about it with non-friends/“ordinary people,” so I’d have to think about that. I know after it came out I talked with a coworker who thought I’d hate it because I was a Star Wars fan and there was the backlash and whatever. She liked it. Don’t know if she’s even seen all the Star Wars movies.

Thanks for that info!

DominicCobb said:

Oh, I’m sorry. I’m, what was the word you used? “Silly.” That’s right. My bad.

No man I’m sorry, I’m the one who’s being silly. You need to help me out, cause you’re the lucky guy who figured out how to like Episode 8! I’m so jealous, cause I wanted to love it so much!

I think we’re getting waaaaaay off topic here btw lol

I guess you could call me a hipster; I think the prequels are better than the originals, and I think the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.

Author
Time

leetwall31 said:

DominicCobb said:

Oh, I’m sorry. I’m, what was the word you used? “Silly.” That’s right. My bad.

No man I’m sorry, I’m the one who’s being silly. You need to help me out, cause you’re the lucky guy who figured out how to like Episode 8! I’m so jealous, cause I wanted to love it so much!

No apology necessary, and trust me, I’m far from the only one.

I think we’re getting waaaaaay off topic here btw lol

Yes

Author
Time
 (Edited)

You’re good, man! I guess we get a little aggressive sometimes over these opinions, even me. I totally get why people don’t like the new movies. I guess I just want to share why I like the movie because I hope other people can see what I see, and find a way for them to enjoy it as well.

From my own experience, I saw TLJ with a couple of friends my age, and my mom, my dad and my uncle, who have all been Star Wars fans since 77.
Most of my friends, some of whom were big fans during the prequels like me, really didn’t like it. My cousin, who is my age, did, he is a Star Wars fan but never was hardcore about it.

One of my friends who went with us is Japanese, and he really enjoyed it. He likes the Star Wars films, but he is more of a big film buff in general. Not just American classics but all kinds of foreign films and avant garde, obscure pictures. He knows more about films and film theory than most people I know. He really dug into the themes and such, and felt the movie had more to say than most blockbusters. I think he preferred it over TFA.

My parents and my uncle loved it. My uncle actually got really annoyed by some of my friends because he felt they had very surface-level reasons for not liking it, and felt they couldn’t admit they were disappointed that things they were expecting to happen, or wanted to happen, didn’t happen.

My sister and brother-in-law saw it later and loved it, but I’d say they’re casual fans too.

I actually saw TFA with my friends too, and one of them had read a whole leaked synopsis of the movie before he saw it, so the whole ride to the theater (which was like an hour) he was saying how bad it was going to be. Just priming us and shit. None of us really wanted to hear that. He sat behind me and I could hear him every once and awhile chiming it negatively. And as the credits rolled he was just talking crap.

This was the first saga film to come out in 10 years. I was sitting with my dad. Star Wars has always been a good part of our relationship, and I was just wanting to enjoy this experience with him. I was so annoyed by my friend, I turned around and said “Fuck you.”

He immediately shut up, and I felt so bad. I’d never really confronted my friend that way before. We got outside and I apologized and he did too, and for the rest of the trip back we had a civil conversation about the movie, good and bad.

I love my friends but for IX I’m just going to see it with my family.

Anyway, that’s my experience.

Author
Time

I hope I get the chance to see IX with my family. Have some fond memories of seeing the prequels with them. Got a chance to see TFA once with my parents and that was great (they loved it). Didn’t get a chance to see TLJ with them but I wish I had. Caught up with them after they saw it and they were going crazy about it. Don’t think I could consider them anything more than casual fans, by the way.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

You’re good, man! I guess we get a little aggressive sometimes over these opinions, even me. I totally get why people don’t like the new movies. I guess I just want to share why I like the movie because I hope other people can see what I see, and find a way for them to enjoy it as well.

From my own experience, I saw TLJ with a couple of friends my age, and my mom, my dad and my uncle, who have all been Star Wars fans since 77.
Most of my friends, some of whom were big fans during the prequels like me, really didn’t like it. My cousin, who is my age, did, he is a Star Wars fan but never was hardcore about it.

One of my friends who went with us is Japanese, and he really enjoyed it. He likes the Star Wars films, but he is more of a big film buff in general. Not just American classics but all kinds of foreign films and avant garde, obscure pictures. He knows more about films and film theory than most people I know. He really dug into the themes and such, and felt the movie had more to say than most blockbusters. I think he preferred it over TFA.

My parents and my uncle loved it. My uncle actually got really annoyed by some of my friends because he felt they had very surface-level reasons for not liking it, and felt they couldn’t admit they were disappointed that things they were expecting to happen, or wanted to happen, didn’t happen.

My sister and brother-in-law saw it later and loved it, but I’d say they’re casual fans too.

I actually saw TFA with my friends too, and one of them had read a whole leaked synopsis of the movie before he saw it, so the whole ride to the theater (which was like an hour) he was saying how bad it was going to be. Just priming us and shit. None of us really wanted to hear that. He sat behind me and I could hear him every once and awhile chiming it negatively. And as the credits rolled he was just talking crap.

This was the first saga film to come out in 10 years. I was sitting with my dad. Star Wars has always been a good part of our relationship, and I was just wanting to enjoy this experience with him. I was so annoyed by my friend, I turned around and said “Fuck you.”

He immediately shut up, and I felt so bad. I’d never really confronted my friend that way before. We got outside and I apologized and he did too, and for the rest of the trip back we had a civil conversation about the movie, good and bad.

I love my friends but for IX I’m just going to see it with my family.

Anyway, that’s my experience.

What a great story man! That was pretty hard-core what you did to your friend (I know what it’s liked to be yelled at in a movie theater lol). You guys kinda made up tho which is nice.

Your Japanese friend reminded me of myself, because I too enjoyed the themes in the movie the way he did, I just wish Rian Johnson went all the way with them. The seeds were there, but in the end they were still only seeds. That’s me tho, I followed this movie in post-production too much. I did the same thing with the Dark Knight Rises, and I wound up feeling disappointed too. Maybe I should stop doing that. Maybe that’s why I didn’t like it.

I guess you could call me a hipster; I think the prequels are better than the originals, and I think the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles.

Author
Time

You should, Dom! It’s gonna be the last film in the Saga. Try to make plans ahead of time.

And Lee, haha, I know. He was just being annoying. He didn’t spoil any details, but it was just really annoying. Like you might not like it but can you even give us a chance to try and enjoy the movie? It’s all good now though. Just felt he was being immature at the time.

I feel like a lot of people who talked about this movie on YouTube said similar things, that it had interesting ideas but he didn’t go through with them, but I personally felt he did and people were misinterpreting the theme of the movie, a lot of it relating to people thinking “let the past die” was a theme when it wasn’t, and how the theme related to the Jungian idea of acknowledging and assimilating with one’s Shadow. Jared from Wisecrack got really close but totally misunderstood it in the end, in my opinion.

If you want, I could share some videos with you that discuss TLJ that I like. Not trying to change your opinion, but maybe it could help you see why some other people liked it.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

You should, Dom! It’s gonna be the last film in the Saga. Try to make plans ahead of time.

Unfortunately the folks and I live on two different sides of the country, otherwise it wouldn’t be an issue. Hopefully I’ll see them around the holidays though.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Not really significant news, though likely a welcome one if you’re looking forward to the new Trilogy…
 

‘Something else for #StarWars fans, @rianjohnson said on the #CinemaCon stage he was going back to a galaxy far far away after ‘Knives Out’.’…

^ from https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/1113929484934062081?s=19 - from Steven Weintraub, editor at Collider

 


 

‘.@rianjohnson is just as excited for J.J. Abram’s #StarWars Episode IX as we are, and he tells us at #CinemaCon he hopes that the directors keep taking the universe to new heights: “I want him to do stuff that I wasn’t expecting him to do”’…

^ https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1114183114270609408 - with video of Rian Johnson from CinemaCon.

 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

Pleasing to see more news on RJ Trilogy. it feels like a long time for news.

R4