Sign In

The high functioning autistic thread — Page 2

Author
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

moviefreakedmind said:

LordZerome1080 said:

Mrebo said:

LordZerome1080 said:

Even though I’m good at most things, I have a math deficit due to me being on the spectrum which has restricted me to only being able to do the 1st-4th-grade math. This is making finding a job very frustrating.

What are your strengths?

playing Age Of Mythology

I wouldn’t put this on a resume.

Actually I’ve heard that game development is not an uncommon field for some high-functioning autistic people to go into. Maybe it could be relevant!

This.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

LordZerome1080 said:

Mrebo said:

LordZerome1080 said:

Even though I’m good at most things, I have a math deficit due to me being on the spectrum which has restricted me to only being able to do the 1st-4th-grade math. This is making finding a job very frustrating.

What are your strengths?

playing Age Of Mythology

I wouldn’t put this on a resume.

Not this.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

No, putting “playing Age of Mythology” on your resume is a bad idea.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

No, putting “playing Age of Mythology” on your resume is a bad idea.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LordZerome1080 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

No, putting “playing Age of Mythology” on your resume is a bad idea.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

No, he’s totally right. Unless that is somehow relevant to the job you’re applying for (which I very strongly doubt, even if you’re looking for a job in the video game industry), that’s something that would almost certainly make any HR manager throw your resume in the trash.

The only time I could see it being worth including on a resume is if you’re applying for a job QA testing real-time strategy games.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LordZerome1080 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

No, putting “playing Age of Mythology” on your resume is a bad idea.

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

It’s not an opinion. There is a 100% chance that putting such a “strength” on your resume would guarantee that you would not get hired by any professional place of employee.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

The only time I could see it being worth including on a resume is if you’re applying for a job QA testing real-time strategy games.

Even then, if it were phrased that way and mentioned “Age of Mythology” specifically, it would still be a bad idea to put it on a resume.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

A few mainly unconnected thoughts, broken up by paragraph breaks:

I was diagnosed with aspergers-like tendencies as a child. They never gave me the full label, but they were serious enough about it to get me evaluated and all that fun stuff.

Personally I disagree with aspergers being out of the DSM, unfortunate history (involving Nazi scientists, joy!) of the name aside. While putting autism on a spectrum better defines how wide a range of symptoms there are, aspergers gave me a specific label for some of my more off-putting traits. And for whenever I feel like thinking logically, having that list helps me check myself. It’s always nice to see in writing some of the things that pop up in my life as a handicap.

I have my “on” and “off” days so to speak. Some days I have random bouts of TMI when I’m trying to bond with people. Other days I’m suddenly an uncomfortably quiet presence in a room. Still others, I’m less off-putting and even well-liked. But I think that has more to do with mood than social aptitude.

Some people in the autistic community aren’t into the hierarchy involved in labeling people as high vs. low functioning, and I understand why, but honestly? For the moment being I think it helps Joe Schmoe know that every person’s experience on the spectrum is different.

I’ve warmed to Sheldon Cooper as a representation of the spectrum. His quirks aren’t always shown as flaws and htey do come in handy for him at times. Plus, it’s hard to show nuance with any mental condition in popular culture – whether it be difference, mental illness, etc. It’s easier to make it the defining trait, hard to make an incidental part of character. He doesn’t represent me, but I hope someone out there who’s on the spectrum positively identifies with him as a piece of themselves widely visible on TV.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

bkev said:

A few mainly unconnected thoughts, broken up by paragraph breaks:

I was diagnosed with aspergers-like tendencies as a child. They never gave me the full label, but they were serious enough about it to get me evaluated and all that fun stuff.

Personally I disagree with aspergers being out of the DSM, unfortunate history (involving Nazi scientists, joy!) of the name aside. While putting autism on a spectrum better defines how wide a range of symptoms there are, aspergers gave me a specific label for some of my more off-putting traits. And for whenever I feel like thinking logically, having that list helps me check myself. It’s always nice to see in writing some of the things that pop up in my life as a handicap.

I have my “on” and “off” days so to speak. Some days I have random bouts of TMI when I’m trying to bond with people. Other days I’m suddenly an uncomfortably quiet presence in a room. Still others, I’m less off-putting and even well-liked. But I think that has more to do with mood than social aptitude.

Some people in the autistic community aren’t into the hierarchy involved in labeling people as high vs. low functioning, and I understand why, but honestly? For the moment being I think it helps Joe Schmoe know that every person’s experience on the spectrum is different.

I’ve warmed to Sheldon Cooper as a representation of the spectrum. His quirks aren’t always shown as flaws and htey do come in handy for him at times. Plus, it’s hard to show nuance with any mental condition in popular culture – whether it be difference, mental illness, etc. It’s easier to make it the defining trait, hard to make an incidental part of character. He doesn’t represent me, but I hope someone out there who’s on the spectrum positively identifies with him as a piece of themselves widely visible on TV.

This, very much this.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

ChainsawAsh said:

The only time I could see it being worth including on a resume is if you’re applying for a job QA testing real-time strategy games.

Even then, if it were phrased that way and mentioned “Age of Mythology” specifically, it would still be a bad idea to put it on a resume.

Thanks for clearing this up.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

That is an excellent post, bkev. I can relate to it very well.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I personally always related to Data and Seven of Nine, and it wasn’t until a couple years ago that I realized that a lot of people on the Spectrum or who just struggle with understanding people really relate to Data. I’d they’re much more impressive representations of social disfunction/disorder than Sheldon.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Plus data is interesting and entertaining as well as occasionally even funny.

Author
Time

Update l/ bump: I have managed to vastly improve my math skills by getting a math tutor to teach me functional math skills. I love the tutor and I completely cannot wait for each new lesson. Also I have become much calmer in my attitude which has made me quite happy.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

indeed it is. i’m wishing you all the best lordzerome.

Author
Time

Collipso said:

indeed it is. i’m wishing you all the best lordzerome.

Thanks Collipso

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

Update: I am in the process of getting a service dog and I am feeling much happier about things in my life.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

Nice one man - and good to read you’re feeling much happier too 😃

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

That’s awesome man. I’m glad you’re keeping us up to speed on things

K. Let’s have this ride.

Author
Time

paja said:

I am a high functioning autistic. I guess that’s out now

I’m going work on my video, I wish Vegas Pro 14 had a LUT plug in.

Glad to meet another fellow.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.