Starlight: A reference to Rey and also to the Starkiller weapon.
This is a theoretical fanedit of The Force Awakens, which will use as a base Hal 9000’s TFA Restructured.
This edit seeks to embellish aspects of the characters and locations that were only roughly sketched or abandoned in the original film, as well as correcting as many of the plot holes and conveniences as possible. But in the meantime, this is a repository of all the ideas, mockups, and finished shots relating to this edit.
As for a cutlist for the film, here are some proposed changes (Restructured edits in italics, new changes in bold):
- A new crawl, indicating Leia’s exile from the Republic and the First Order’s superweapon.
- Rey’s Daydream, which foreshadows her Force Vision later and establishes her motivation.
- Remove the name ‘Snoke’ from Hux and Ren’s discussion on board the Finalizer. He’s not named in this edit, and is referred to only as ‘Supreme Leader’.
- Insert shot of the Falcon going to lightspeed directly after it escapes from Jakku, then another shot of it falling out of Hyperspace after the explosion in the Falcon hold.
- Remove unnecessary Rathtar action, and trim Bala-Tik’s dialogue about the First Order looking for a droid, since it makes Han look silly when he later allows BB-8 to follow them into Maz’s Castle.
- Remove Hux from first Snoke scene, and merge him with the Snoke scene directly after the interrogation.
- Include alien dialogue from the deleted scenes with new subtitles making it clear that Maz’s Castle is neutral ground, which explains the calm demeanor of the patrons later on.
- Insert shots of Star Destroyer to Maz’s Castle instead of Hosnian destruction, along with SirRidley’s new music.
- Remove Rey’s decision to leave. In this version she’s merely getting away from the castle for some space to think about the Force vision, and decides to return when BB-8 finds her in the woods
- Regrade Maz’s Castle after Rey runs away to look as if it is occurring in late afternoon
- Hold Poe’s reveal at Maz’s castle for directly after Finn says ‘That’s one hell of a pilot!’, to which Poe whoops in delight.
- Move the first Snoke scene to just after Han’s revelation about his son, cutting out ‘The droid we seek is on board the Millennium Falcon, in the hands of…’.
- Leia’s deleted scene with Kor Sella is integrated directly after Finn disembarks from the Falcon.
- Remove Poe’s mention of Hosnian System destruction, while leaving in the fact that Finn worked on the First Order base.
- After Finn meets Leia, insert first half of the interrogation scene.
- Move Chewie and doctor Harter Kalonia to right before the R2 scene.
- Insert shots of R2 beginning to search his backup files for the map on BB8’s suggestion.
- Remove Leia’s lines which refer to Snoke by name.
- Move the first half of Rey’s escape attempt to just after Han and Leia’s discussion, with low light and ‘I’ll tighten those restraints’ added to indicate that she is completely unable to Mind Trick the guard.
- Move Kylo’s prayer to Vader to right after Rey’s abortive escape attempt (suggested by DominicCobb), and remove line about Snoke sensing his weakness. This implies that Rey (or Rey’s feelings about Han) is the cause of his doubts.
- Move the final half of the interrogation to after Kylo’s prayer, with strong bright light, to portray both of them as more aggressive and purposeful.
- Keep the final half of Rey’s escape attempt, but with ‘I’ll tighten those restraints’ absent so that there is initially some ambiguity as to his intention.
- Move Hux’s speech to directly preceding the Resistance Briefing scene, complete with weapon charging footage.
- Leia’s ‘…again. Our system is the next target’ is replaced with Snap asking if Leia has had word from the Republic, to which she answers ‘No’. 3PO’s line changes to ‘Oh my! This is a catastrophe!’.
- Place the shot of the Falcon in Hyperspace after Finn is informed that the approach will be made at lightspeed. This allows some tension to build whereas before it was over too quickly.
- Reincorporate Kylo’s investigation of the Falcon (Only if the timecode could be seamlessly removed)
- Remove 3PO’s line ‘It would take a miracle to save us now!’.
- Remove Han’s references to Snoke. Now he merely says ‘That’s what he wants you to believe’, and ‘He is using you for your power’.
- Starkiller firing occurs directly after Han’s death.
- Right after the sabotage, Snoke orders Hux to prepare the weapon to fire at the Resistance. (suggested by DominicCobb)
- Remove fighter pilot reaction shots from the Starkiller destruction and re-foley the scene.
- Crop Chewie out of the shot with Leia after the battle.
- Extend shot of R2 finishing his search of the backup data and finding the map.
- Stabilize the final shot of the film.
All links will be kept updated in the first post below.
Full Quality MEGA links:
Rey’s Daydream/Force Vision Version 5
Version 5 Audio
Falcon to Hyperspace from Jakku
Falcon from Hyperspace
Falcon from Hyperspace Engines Go Out
Falcon to and from Hyperspace Sound Effects
Star Destroyer over Maz’s Castle
Leia’s Demand to the Senate
Fixed v13 Shot
Poe’s Exposition at the Resistance Base
R2’s Map Search Beginning
Resistance Briefing Scene
Resistance Briefing Scene (This is a catastrophe)
Starkiller Approach Wreckage Removal v8
Starless Starkiller Firing (Version 3)
Leia and the Starkiller (version 14)
We’ve Swept Aside the Republic audio
Re-foleyed Starkiller Destruction
All 9 Mono Tracks
R2’s Map Search End
Final Shot Stablilized
Rey’s Daydream (version 5)
Finn Awakens at Dawn
The Falcon Jumps to then Exits Hyperspace
Finn and the Pirates
Star Destroyer Late Afternoon
Maz’s Castle and Snoke Mockup
Leia’s Demand to the Senate Mockup (Outdated)
Leia’s Demand to the Senate Integrated
Leia Demand to the Senate Integrated 8
Concurrent Weapon Charging and Interrogation
Rey’s Escape (Single Interrogation Variant)
You Will Give the Map to Me
Resistance Briefing Scene
Leia and the Starkiller
We’ve Swept Aside the Republic
Rey’s Extended Journey rough mockup
Final Shot Stabilized
If anyone wants to use these clips in their own edits feel free, just credit my work 😃
This post has been edited.
DuracellEnergizer: "^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts."
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and Starlight Project