logo Sign In

World Cup 2006 — Page 4

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Warbler
That was the game I was refering too, and its alot better that SOCCER

Warbler, you're a punk.

There is no way American football is better than REAL football. REAL football is a game of skill, finesse. I might even go so far as to call it a 'sexy' game. American football is just a bunch of meatheads running around in armor wrestling eachother. It's macho bullshit disguised as sport, and every country in the World except the USA agrees with me. I must admit I do like hockey though, so it's not all bad in the USA.

I just realised that the 2 teams I am really following this year, England and USA, have something in common - both their goalies play or have played for Tottenham, which also happens to be the team I support (and played for the juniors when I was about 8).

War does not make one great.

Author
Time
OK let me make some remarks about what north-americans thing of football and the whole issue.

First of all, sometimes I do refer the sport, when speaking in english, as soccer, because it's how people from north-america know it. Makes my life easier. But when I'm speaking with someone from Europe, I'll always say football.

Second, I've noticed that the sports popular between americans are the ones in which the almost exclusevely play among themselves. The north-american football. Basketball. Hockey. Baseball. These are sports that allow TV stations to fill the game time with advertisements during all the broadcast (time the ammount of game actually been played on a Superbowl game, and the ammout of time for ads and you'll see what I mean) - and I always found that a bit arrogant. Another good example is racing. Nascar is the most popular car racing on the US, mostly because it is dominated by US drivers. What about Formula 1? Not popular, why? The last american Formula 1 driver competed in 1994 and was never able to FINISH a race. Football does not allow commercial breaks in between the game. It dosen't have spetacular scores. It is dominated by south america and europe. So there's no media attention. No popular interest. No one cares. So they put it down as much as they can.

I did watch north american football, and I belive it is a good game. I've seen every Superbowl since 1996 to 2004, and wacthed regularly during 1999 and 2000. But it is different. It's something else. It dosen't class. The strategies are limited to pre-determined rehearsed plays. There is no real competition, as soon as the plays are called, the down is pretty much defined. You almost never see a real improvised play, a moment of full team play on a situation outside the pre-determined play. The real football is a sport that requires both planning and preparing and skill. It requires a lot of skill. The players must be complete. There's no "quarterback". No "kicker". You can't change the whole team for the defence.

There was this interesting article by a north-american sports website back on the 2002 World Cup, called "The Rest-Of-The-World Cup", in which he said how boring football was, how sports should be designed for TV watching, and that north-americans would only care about it when "America wins the damn thing". That's the whole spirit about it.

While I am against USA politics in all senses, I've NEVER been anti-american at all. I am a huge fan of its culture, history and its people, and I have always been an admirer of that great country, but this view on sports, and specially on *sigh* soccer, I always have seen as arrogance.

But then again, it's better that way. It's like a fun private club the whole world can get in except USA and Canada. And only south americans and europeans have the SPIRIT for it. That's why I've said the only way to watch a football game is in a London pub at 9pm getting drunk.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
i understand where you are getting at, ric. let me put my two cents in. I've never been a huge fan of american football. I'm more of a fan of the comeraderie that's associated with it, such as going to a bar with a bunch of friends and watching the game, or inviting a few friends over at your house. I think that's the main reason why i love boxing so much. it's all about skill, luck, and desire. who has the most usually becomes the victor, plus it makes for great television with a bunch of friends.

football/soccer/futbol is second only to boxing as far as me being able to watch it by myself. my wife enjoys it, but not to the extremes that i do. I'm from Puerto Rico. baseball is HUGE there. that's where i get my love for that game. football is also huge there. It's the carribean. different world. i can sit down and watch multiple games in a row. it is definitely not boring for me. My favourite memory of football was for the 02 world cup. i had 2 other roommates. one japanese and another russian. we were in college and taking summer courses. we went to class, ate, slept, then woke up at midnight. gathered the chips and dip and beer and got as boisterous as all get out. after the game, we went to class again. every night. alex (the russian) actually was fired because of missing work because of the cup. it didn't matter. we were having a great time. no one understood it. it's like a special club.

as far as having the spirit for it, i don't believe only europe and south america are the only ones. i believe the whole world is ecompassed with the spirit of the cup. except north america. oh well. their loss.

The US will make it all the way this year. i feel it in my bones. It's high time. but when they do win, america will still not be interested in the cup. i have come to accept that.

Author
Time
There's no "quarterback". No "kicker". You can't change the whole team for the defence.

My high school football team (that's American football this time ) is so small, that we can't change out our teams for offence and defence, except maybe a couple of players. I will say that it is very intense, because not only are you actually encouraged to make physical contact with other players, but you HAVE to; otherwise you'll get your ass kicked in. That's why I like it better than soccer. From what I understand, you're not exactly supposed to run the other team into the ground in soccer.

Plus, even though the plays are predetermined, it requires a lot of teamwork. If the offensive lineman doesn't block his man, the runningback is pretty much screwed. I would know, I play runningback on my school team.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time
Originally posted by: ricardo
The US will make it all the way this year. i feel it in my bones. It's high time. but when they do win, america will still not be interested in the cup. i have come to accept that.
If it's high time anyone won the damn thing it's England. I hope USA do well though, for the sake of the individuals on the team, who really deserve some respect and recognition.

I don't really know enough about American Football to diss it, so I withdraw my earlier comments, but I do wish the USA would wake up and embrace 'Soccer' - they are really missing out on a lot of fun. For one month every 4 years, the world is united in a sporting event. It's crazy, but it's great.

Author
Time
at least england's won it once. the US only just started qualifying after a 40 year dry spell...

Author
Time
Right on. England has some fine football players and some of the best football clubs in the world, especially since Roman Abramovich bought FC Chelsea, but their first match in the cup was very weak. I doubt they will reach the quarter finals. Becks alone is not enough.

Nothing about fanediting is easy.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Yoda Is Your Father
I'm really routing for USA this year, and if they can get out of the difficult group they're in it will be a great boost for 'soccer' in the US and maybe some more of the population will sit up and notice (plus I'll win 50 pounds on a bet I made before leaving England...)

I think USA could surprise a few people. They're not gonna win it by any stretch of the imagination, but any good placing that will help boost the profile of REAL football in America is a good thing in my books. It is, after all, the World's sport, whereas that handball thing they play here is limited to this country alone and nobody outside of the US gives a crap.

As for England, It would have been nice if Sven had bought Defoe along for the ride (I'm a Spurs supporter), and I think he should have played Lennon and Walcott instead of Hargreaves and Downing, but I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just taking adavantage of the 1-0 lead to test out some players and figure out his options for the more important matches.

Mexico Vs Iran is on right now but I can't watch it because ABC is sometimes overidden by the crappy local station, and this is one of those occasions. If it happens during and England game there's gonna be damage done to the TV set. Angola Vs Portugal is on ESPN later though, so at least I'll get some kind of World Cup fix today.

wow, i've never seen anyone actually write "reckon." seems kind of southern.
We say it in England too.

We say it in Australia, too. But I probably say it more often than most people I know...*I RECKON*
MTFBWY. Always.

http://www.myspace.com/red_ajax
Author
Time
In Australia, we call real football (I concur that it is the original football game) both 'soccer' and 'football'. The purists always call it 'football', whilst the layman usually calls it 'soccer', for a few reasons:

1) We also play Rugby Union, Rugby League, and Australian Rules Football and watch it regularly.
2) We watch a lot of American television shows.

There is a general consciousness, however, that even though most people in Australia *probably* refer to it as 'soccer', that it is MEANT to be called 'football'; that it was 'football' before it was ever called soccer; that given the nature of the game, it is more deserving of the description 'foot-ball'; and that it is the most popular and widely played sport in the world - the World Game, if you like.

So I suppose it is for the sake of convenience more than anything else. Football is a strange phenomenon in Australia. EVERYBODY plays it casually - just for fun, in the park, with friends (in fact, I used to do this every Friday night with my friends for at least 5 years) - and most people I know, including myself, have played for a club as a child, but HARDLY ANYBODY watches it on television (although perhaps they would if it was put on a commercial channel) or plays it professionally. To my mind, Australia is very proud of its sporting heritage, especially in the domain of Rugby League, Union, Cricket, Aussie Rules, Tennis, and Swimming; but for some reason, we've never taken to football on a professional or national level. Perhaps it's because, until now, we haven't been good enough to get excited about it. But what has surprised me the most, is that for all our prominence in the other ball-sports, and for all our childhood involvement in the sport of football, our international football history is virtually non-existent. What's great now, though, is the grassroots excitement that is taking place right now for our current involvement in this year's World Cup. The Australian people are really proud and excited that we've even qualified for the first time, well, ever, and are really getting behind our team. Me and my friends will be getting together to watch the Socceroos take on Japan tonight, in fact. So hopefully the World Cup will boost our in interest in football on a national/professional level in the future.

Having lived in America for a month and a half, I have developed a respect for what American football is, but not for the same reason most Americans seem to. Strategy is where it's at in American Football, not brute strength. If you want brute strength, watch Australia take on South Africa, New Zealand or England in the Rugby Union, or watch Queensland face New South Wales in the Rugby League State of Origin. No padding, no helmets, no stoppage time, no forward passes, no offence/defence teams - you have 6 tackles to run and pass your way across 100 metres of grass. So yeah, American Football is all about the plays, and focusing on the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive/defensive line, and that's what sets it apart from most games. But American Football also has the luxury of conferring between plays and protective gear. I watched it on TV a fair bit while I was in the US, especially the Seahawks games, as I was in Seattle during the Superbowl (they were cheated of 14 points and the Bowl, I believe). I even played it a few times while I was in America - and having played Rugby League so many times I was more worried about whether or not my tackles were legal than I was about getting hurt.
MTFBWY. Always.

Author
Time
Warbler - get the hell out of this thread.

Originally posted by: theredbaron
... but HARDLY ANYBODY watches it on television (although perhaps they would if it was put on a commercial channel) or plays it professionally. The Australian team has some good players, who play at the highest professional level in Europe.

The Australian people are really proud and excited that we've even qualified for the first time, well, ever, and are really getting behind our team.
Australia qualified once before, in 1974.

Me and my friends will be getting together to watch the Socceroos take on Japan tonight, in fact.
Interestingly, even though Japan are very passionate about the game - they call it "soccer" too!

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Moth3r

... but HARDLY ANYBODY watches it on television (although perhaps they would if it was put on a commercial channel) or plays it professionally. The Australian team has some good players, who play at the highest professional level in Europe.

The Australian people are really proud and excited that we've even qualified for the first time, well, ever, and are really getting behind our team.
Australia qualified once before, in 1974.

Me and my friends will be getting together to watch the Socceroos take on Japan tonight, in fact.
Interestingly, even though Japan are very passionate about the game - they call it "soccer" too!

Hey, yeah, you're right, I knew all of that stuff!

I previously *thought* that it was the first time we qualified in 32 years, but when I heard this morning on TV that there had only been 18 World Cups, I got confused (thinking 18 Cups=18 years) and figured we must never have qualified.

I forgot to mention that because of the state of professional/national football in Australia, our best players move to England and other European countries (even Wales, in one instance) to play professionally in the premier leagues. Just like our actors/screenwriters/rock bands move to America to make it big. Mostly because we only have 20 million people, I think.

And yeah, the Japanese call it 'sakkaa', but that's obviously due to a heavy American influence as well. I've never heard a Japanese person even mention football (or should I say, 'futtobooru'?).
MTFBWY. Always.

Author
Time

Calm down, I am just having a little fun. I would think you would know by now that I am no troll. I am not a soccer fan but if soccer's your thing, I'm ok with that. Just don't expect me to call it football.

Author
Time
Aus vs Japan kick off in 10 mins - hope Kewell does well and sees yhem through - he deserves some luck in cup competitions!

A little patience goes a long way on this old-school Rebel base. If you are having issues finding what you are looking for, these will be of some help…

Welcome to the OriginalTrilogy.com | Introduce yourself in here | Useful info within : About : Help : Site Rules : Fan Project Rules : Announcements
How do I do this?’ on the OriginalTrilogy.com; some info & answers + FAQs - includes info on how to search for projects and threads on the OT•com

A Project Index for Star Wars Preservations (Harmy’s Despecialized & 4K77/80/83 etc) : A Project Index for Star Wars Fan Edits (adywan & Hal 9000 etc)

… and take your time to look around this site before posting - to get a feel for this place. Don’t just lazily make yet another thread asking for projects.

Author
Time
I'm rooting for Japan to move to the next round - along with Brazil, which I belive has good chances of doing so as well.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
a bit of a controversial goal for Japan - seems that a Japanese forward inpeded the Aussie gk on the cross, and Aus unlucky not to equalise soon after a probing Kewell run and shot that clipped the crossbar...

A little patience goes a long way on this old-school Rebel base. If you are having issues finding what you are looking for, these will be of some help…

Welcome to the OriginalTrilogy.com | Introduce yourself in here | Useful info within : About : Help : Site Rules : Fan Project Rules : Announcements
How do I do this?’ on the OriginalTrilogy.com; some info & answers + FAQs - includes info on how to search for projects and threads on the OT•com

A Project Index for Star Wars Preservations (Harmy’s Despecialized & 4K77/80/83 etc) : A Project Index for Star Wars Fan Edits (adywan & Hal 9000 etc)

… and take your time to look around this site before posting - to get a feel for this place. Don’t just lazily make yet another thread asking for projects.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Warbler

Calm down, I am just having a little fun. I would think you would know by now that I am no troll. I am not a soccer fan but if soccer's your thing, I'm ok with that. Just don't expect me to call it football.

It was called football , way, way, way before you yanks decided to call it soccer, just so you could call your handball game football. Why not call your game soccer and leave football to the game that uses 1) feet and 2) a bloody ball!!

Italy tonight!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time
Wow, what a comeback for Australia.

3 goals in 8 mins.

Author
Time
well done to the Aussies - rode their luck a bit, especially after Cahill's foul in his own box went unpunished after equalising just minutes before. Fair play to them though - they kept on plugging away and put more and more forwards on to pressure their opponents. Was a good game to watch - and am glad Kewell came through all 90 minutes.

Author
Time
3-1 Australia over Japan.

Although, there were a few key "non-calls" that might've turned the tide either way.
Author
Time
Now that was a good game from the neutral's perspective...

Cahill and Viduka were pretty damn solid, though as an Evertonian, I'm well aware of the hero/villain act that Cahill can pull within the same minute.

I'm presuming you're a red oojason - though I think Kewell is not so much deserving a bit of luck, but just not throwing his toys out of the pram as he has done in the last 2 major finals he's played for you - he was really anonymous after that initial burst in the first half hour (pony-tail or not) .
Author
Time
USA vs Czech Republic starts in 1 minute...

at least england's won it once. the US only just started qualifying after a 40 year dry spell... Yeah, so by my calculations they have to wait another 40 years of actually playing in the tournament without winning (like England) and then it will be their turn.

Having lived in America for a month and a half
I didn't realise you were a fellow new-immigrant. I've been here almost exactly a month and a half too.

And yeah, the Japanese call it 'sakkaa', but that's obviously due to a heavy American influence as well. I've never heard a Japanese person even mention football (or should I say, 'futtobooru'?).
And the Italians call it 'Calcio'.