Sign In

The Disney/Fox acquisition....

Author
Time

I was wondering, we all know that Disney buying Fox means Star Wars returns to the fold and COULD mean an OT restoration. Would that mean we’d get the Fox fanfare back into the first six films or do we feel that ship has sailed?

  • Ron
Author
Time

It would definitely remove a lot of red tape. Star Wars would now entirely belong to one entity instead of being split up.

  • Fox Fanfare for all movies (why not add them to the sequel trilogy as well?)
  • OT restoration and distribution.

But the final word is up to Lucasfilm or Disney.

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time

What we have been told from different sources

  • Bob Iger said to the reporter that they’re thinking the same way or something like that (I can’t find that interview) when she asked him about a possible OOT release
  • Disney is starting a streaming service and needs content
  • they are scanning absolutely EVERYTHING they have in the Disney archives and the archives of their subsidiaries, including Lucasfilm, and not just released stuff but also things like behind the scenes footage, interviews or deleted scenes

So, IMHO, it’s not an “if” question, but a “when” question.

Author
Time

Apparently, they even remastered the legendary Song of the South.
However, it’s unknown if the OUT will be released in a remastered form as fans have been praying for or if it will end up like Song of the South.

And I’ve loved every pixel of it.
(Clarissa Darling, Clarissa Explains It All)

You’re so right.
(Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Author
Time

pittrek said:

What we have been told from different sources

  • Bob Iger said to the reporter that they’re thinking the same way or something like that (I can’t find that interview) when she asked him about a possible OOT release
  • Disney is starting a streaming service and needs content
  • they are scanning absolutely EVERYTHING they have in the Disney archives and the archives of their subsidiaries, including Lucasfilm, and not just released stuff but also things like behind the scenes footage, interviews or deleted scenes

So, IMHO, it’s not an “if” question, but a “when” question.

Thinking the same way as what?

Author
Time

I tried to find the interview on youtube, I can’t. But basically the reporter asked if there is a chance that they’ll release the original versions one day, Iger laughed and said something like “I like the way how you think” or “We’re thinking in a similar way” or something like that, hard to say, it’s been years. But the impression I got from him was that he’s trying to say “we’ll eventually get to it, just wait”

Author
Time

I have no doubt we’ll get the original versions, but I meant 100% unaltered: Fox fanfare. original non-logo Lucasfilm title, no “ANH” crawl. The 1977 version.

-Ron

Author
Time

Swift S. Lawliet said:

Apparently, they even remastered the legendary Song of the South.
However, it’s unknown if the OUT will be released in a remastered form as fans have been praying for or if it will end up like Song of the South.

They did. I was at a panel on restoration at D23 in 2015, and they showed a few clips from a 4K scan of SOTS they did.

However when asked about it, the guy presenting said it was just for archival purposes and there were no immediate plans for a release.
That was 3 years ago though, so who knows.

Author
Time

ronwlim said:

I have no doubt we’ll get the original versions, but I meant 100% unaltered: Fox fanfare. original non-logo Lucasfilm title, no “ANH” crawl. The 1977 version.

-Ron

I feel like all of those things would be there regardless. If they can scan in the unaltered opening crawl just for the GOUT, then surely it would be there on an actual OOT restoration.

They’d probably just use a source that’s pre-97 anyway (like the separation masters), unless they have a truly foolproof way of scanning the SE-conformed o-neg and making sure they can tell the unaltered shots from the altered ones.

The guy from Fox at that Disney restoration presentation said that the pieces of the o-neg removed for the alterations were put in storage, but didn’t Michael Kaminski say in his article that certain shots in the o-neg had faded completely because of the nature of the specific stock used for those shots? So they’d need to go to an alternative source like seps or interpositives for some of those shots regardless. I think the big expensive restoration of The Godfather used the o-neg primarily and used seps for the shots that were too faded/damaged.

As for pittrek’s memory, he’s probably referring to that via satellite interview with Iger that cnbc (or whichever cable channel) did way back in 2014 or early 2015. The interviewer asked something to the effect of whether we might see a release of “the original Star Wars” and Iger smiles just a little and says something like “y’know, that’s not a bad idea.”

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

ronwlim said:

I have no doubt we’ll get the original versions, but I meant 100% unaltered: Fox fanfare. original non-logo Lucasfilm title, no “ANH” crawl. The 1977 version.

-Ron

I feel like all of those things would be there regardless. If they can scan in the unaltered opening crawl just for the GOUT, then surely it would be there on an actual OOT restoration.

They’d probably just use a source that’s pre-97 anyway (like the separation masters), unless they have a truly foolproof way of scanning the SE-conformed o-neg and making sure they can tell the unaltered shots from the altered ones.

Or, y’know: https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1214875

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

The fact is more obscure films have been recovered from a worse state. So no matter what the condition or how much effort has to be put into this, there is enough money and resources to do it.

Author
Time

Did the movies vanish from other streaming services? Any deal with Turner must expire eventually, like the deal Fox had with Spike Tv which ended in 2014.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

A couple of articles on Disney wanting to buy the TV rights back (seems they’ll have to pay a pretty penny for them)…

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/03/disney-wants-to-buy-back-star-wars-tv-rights

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/star-wars-streaming-disney-turner-broadcasting-1201991101/

 


Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

Jedi Master Skywalker said:

oh ok well check news about it.

its were they said streaming rights are owned by turner

Ah, then I stand corrected.

I guess they only have it up to stream during the weeks when they’re actually airing the movies on the network.

Author
Time

TV rights have nothing to do with the actual restoration of the OOT if it was to happen.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.