Sign In

Solo: A Star Wars Story — Official Review and Opinions Thread — SPOILERS — Page 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

paja said:

I wonder if Maul was voice ether by Sam Witwer or Peter Serafinowicz.

Not sure mate, though this was kind of intriguing/cool…

https://twitter.com/serafinowicz/status/994822880650321920

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I find that answer vague and unconvincing. Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves?
Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

andyw715 said:

bromeo said:

I just watched some explanation / theory videos on YouTube. Darth Maul isn’t a Sith anymore and he is (most likely) the big boss running the Crimson Dawn? No wonder I felt so out of the loop during that cameo! I guess I really need to watch the animated series now.

In the credits the character is just “Maul”

He isn’t a Darth anymore. He gave up the ways of the Sith after the Emperor betrayed him and killed everyone he knew/loved. His main mission in Rebels is to gain power to destroy the Emperor, until he discovers Kenobi is still alive. At some point, he becomes trapped on Malacor for “years”, which is where the Rebels crew meets up with him 3 years before Battle of Yavin. This film ends 10 YBBY, so there are 7 years for them to play out any sequel with Maul involved.

The Jedi are all but extinct.......
Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Anyway, I absolutely loved it. And the unexpected cameo did not bug me like I thought it might. I’m sure this thread will manage to harsh my buzz in the morning. 😛

Ron Howard probably deserves a medal for taking the reins on this. I suppose we’ll never see the footage shot by those other two guys.

Also, nice little Easter egg if you know your Brian Daley books.

Oh shit, I saw that but didn’t make the connection!

Author
Time

There was a scene in the Falcon where L3-37 has a bit of malfunction and hits herself on the side of the head to start up again. As her data is now in and part of the falcon, could this now be seen later in The Empire Strikes Back when Han hits the wall of the cockpit to re-start the Falcon up?
Just a thought.

Author
Time

Wolfman said:

There was a scene in the Falcon where L3-37 has a bit of malfunction and hits herself on the side of the head to start up again. As her data is now in and part of the falcon, could this now be seen later in The Empire Strikes Back when Han hits the wall of the cockpit to re-start the Falcon up?
Just a thought.

If so, then that’s a quality catch 😃

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I find that answer vague and unconvincing. Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves?
Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

Wolfman said:

There was a scene in the Falcon where L3-37 has a bit of malfunction and hits herself on the side of the head to start up again. As her data is now in and part of the falcon, could this now be seen later in The Empire Strikes Back when Han hits the wall of the cockpit to re-start the Falcon up?
Just a thought.

I’d believe it.

Maybe my favorite subtle reference here is Woody Harrelson’s disbelief that Han would want to go back to the shithole that is Correlia. Very much like Rey wanting to go back to Jakku, retroactively enriching Han’s relationship with Rey (and probably something Kasdan had very much in mind as he was writing both scripts somewhat simultaneously for a bit apparently).

Author
Time

Pretty sure when Threepio says “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect” in Episode V it’s now referring to L3 being part of the Falcon.

she/her

Author
Time

Cool insights guys… that improves this movie a bit in my mind.

Author
Time

dahmage said:

Cool insights guys… that improves this movie a bit in my mind.

This movie is full to the brim with little stuff like this. Almost it to its detriment, though it means there’s a lot to pick up on in later viewings.

Author
Time

snooker said:

Pretty sure when Threepio says “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect” in Episode V it’s now referring to L3 being part of the Falcon.

It’s a darn good thing the Falcon didn’t fall in love with Threepio! 😛

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Solo felt like it was just a film about the cold war (although it was good) because of all the betrayals and double crossings and who’s with who. I also still don’t really understand what the significance of the chained dice because at first ,because it was hanging in the millennium falcon, i thought it meant that maybe he won the falcon with them but he had the dice before that and sabacc doesn’t involve dice (it already stated he one it through sabacc before the film). We don’t have much info about his family or the space gypsies that took him in so it could have been a gift or something.

Author
Time

snooker said:

Pretty sure when Threepio says “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect” in Episode V it’s now referring to L3 being part of the Falcon.

My thoughts exactly!

Author
Time

snooker said:

Pretty sure when Threepio says “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect” in Episode V it’s now referring to L3 being part of the Falcon.

Good observations, should look out for more

Author
Time

My favorite visual moment in the film was when Chewie was in the elevator and attacked one of the guards. It costs the guard (Literally) an arm and a leg, because that’s what Chewie tore off.

Author
Time

Anthony Daniels was the voice of one of the droids in Kessel, I think.

I wonder if Maul will play into the Kenobi spinoff in that Obi-Wan leaves to confront Maul and ends up taking down Crimson Dawn and leaving Maul stranded on Malachor with a live action replay of their final duel for a coda.

I liked that we saw Corellia for the first time.

Going to see it again tomorrow with my bff so I can absorb more of the details. So far it was better than R1 for me, except I still love R1’s final act more. Better than 80% of the Marvel Movies (IM2, IM3, Thor 1-2, Hulk, Ant Man, AOU, Black Panther) and on par with GOTG for me.

I do wish they would have held it back til December though cause the normies are complaining about fatigue.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

Zak.Sunthankar said:

Solo felt like it was just a film about the cold war (although it was good) because of all the betrayals and double crossings and who’s with who. I also still don’t really understand what the significance of the chained dice because at first ,because it was hanging in the millennium falcon, i thought it meant that maybe he won the falcon with them but he had the dice before that and sabacc doesn’t involve dice (it already stated he one it through sabacc before the film). We don’t have much info about his family or the space gypsies that took him in so it could have been a gift or something.

Just a good luck charm I believe. Where it came from doesn’t seem to matter as much as what it means to him.

Author
Time

lovelikewinter said:

Anthony Daniels was the voice of one of the droids in Kessel, I think.

I wonder if Maul will play into the Kenobi spinoff in that Obi-Wan leaves to confront Maul and ends up taking down Crimson Dawn and leaving Maul stranded on Malachor with a live action replay of their final duel for a coda.

I liked that we saw Corellia for the first time.

Going to see it again tomorrow with my bff so I can absorb more of the details. So far it was better than R1 for me, except I still love R1’s final act more. Better than 80% of the Marvel Movies (IM2, IM3, Thor 1-2, Hulk, Ant Man, AOU, Black Panther) and on par with GOTG for me.

I do wish they would have held it back til December though cause the normies are complaining about fatigue.

Daniels was listed in the credits.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

snooker said:

Pretty sure when Threepio says “Your ship has a most peculiar dialect” in Episode V it’s now referring to L3 being part of the Falcon.

Yeah it’s probably what they had in mind shooting the scene around 1979… (I need to forget this movie… TLJ was a happy accident…)

“I have to say that I felt George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters.” - James Cameron about Episode VII.

Author
Time

Retcons are the devil to you, ain’t they?

she/her

Author
Time

I loved Enfys Nest, her bike, and the Marauders part of the score.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just got back from seeing it, and I hate to be that guy, but I thought it was awful – though this could be fatigue setting in (yes I do think its possible). The only thing that kept me going was L3 and Powell’s call backs.

So many headaches like “We’ll call you Han Solo, then!” and “Find me on Tatooine. There’s a big-time gangster looking for a crew.” I cringed especially hard at the latter. Whoever put those lines in there needs to think long and hard about subtlety.

I did like Moroff’s cameo, as well as the mention of Scariff. Connecting these standalone films is a great idea.

Maybe it will grow on me the same was Last Jedi did, and I genuinely hope it does. It really sucks not liking a Star Wars movie.

2/5

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

What!? Where was Moroff?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?