Sign In

George Lucas's Sequel Trilogy — Page 4

Author
Time

I want to read the treatments Dale Pollock read and had to sign a NDA to do so.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JadedSkywalker said:

I want to read the treatments Dale Pollock read and had to sign a NDA to do so.

Me too. Same with knowing the nine part story George told Richard Marquand.

"Pleasure’s fun. It’s great, but you can’t keep it going forever; just accept the fact that it’s here and it’s gone, and maybe then again, it will come back, and you’ll get to do it again. Joy lasts forever. Pleasure is purely self-centered. It’s all about your pleasure: it’s about you. It’s a selfish, self-centered emotion, that is created by a self-centered motive of greed. Joy is compassion. Joy is giving yourself to somebody else, or something else. And it’s a kind of thing that is, in its subtlety and lowness, much more powerful than pleasure. You get hung up on pleasure; you’re doomed. If you pursue joy; you will find everlasting happiness.” - George Lucas

Author
Time

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” - DV

Author
Time
 (Edited)

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

Same. Stories change and evolve. This is nothing new. My story I’m writing is vastly different from what it was when I started. However many of the core elements remain. I don’t think it makes me a bad person to change my mind.

"Pleasure’s fun. It’s great, but you can’t keep it going forever; just accept the fact that it’s here and it’s gone, and maybe then again, it will come back, and you’ll get to do it again. Joy lasts forever. Pleasure is purely self-centered. It’s all about your pleasure: it’s about you. It’s a selfish, self-centered emotion, that is created by a self-centered motive of greed. Joy is compassion. Joy is giving yourself to somebody else, or something else. And it’s a kind of thing that is, in its subtlety and lowness, much more powerful than pleasure. You get hung up on pleasure; you’re doomed. If you pursue joy; you will find everlasting happiness.” - George Lucas

Author
Time

Stardust1138 said:

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

I don’t think it makes me a bad person to change my mind.

No, in fact I would say that makes you a better writer! Rewriting, and thinking along different lines than you did at first, can be hard.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

We know for a fact that the one he submitted in 2012 wasn’t the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul, and an older one which isn’t the one submitted in 2012, the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul. It could be that the older one was just spitballing, the one submitted in 2012 was catering to Disney, and that he had one main idea with the microscopic ideas and Darth Maul coming back. But I find it more likely he was spitballing the whole time and never had one, single ST idea.

Death of the Author

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SparkySywer said:

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

We know for a fact that the one he submitted in 2012 wasn’t the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul, and an older one which isn’t the one submitted in 2012, the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul. It could be that the older one was just spitballing, the one submitted in 2012 was catering to Disney, and that he had one main idea with the microscopic ideas and Darth Maul coming back. But I find it more likely he was spitballing the whole time and never had one, single ST idea.

Not true. Check out this interview with Jett Lucas from 2013. He knew in 2011 that George was writing for the Sequel Trilogy.

https://youtu.be/x5GD7GwU9xo

The claims that Darth Maul and Midi-Chlorians weren’t part of these treatments are from unclaimed sources. I trust George and Jett more than I do narrative. Disney has actively tried burying what George says. They did the same thing when Marcia spoke out and with Jonathan Rinzler’s making of book for The Force Awakens. They put it on the shelf because it surely made them look bad. Disney has a long history of covering up things they don’t want the public to know.

jedi_bendu said:

Stardust1138 said:

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

I don’t think it makes me a bad person to change my mind.

No, in fact I would say that makes you a better writer! Rewriting, and thinking along different lines than you did at first, can be hard.

I agree and it really is. It can also be quite funny too. It would be silly if I used my story I had long ago now. I don’t think anyone wants to see skeletons riding dinosaurs with weird aliens traveling in underwater ships with swords. Haha

"Pleasure’s fun. It’s great, but you can’t keep it going forever; just accept the fact that it’s here and it’s gone, and maybe then again, it will come back, and you’ll get to do it again. Joy lasts forever. Pleasure is purely self-centered. It’s all about your pleasure: it’s about you. It’s a selfish, self-centered emotion, that is created by a self-centered motive of greed. Joy is compassion. Joy is giving yourself to somebody else, or something else. And it’s a kind of thing that is, in its subtlety and lowness, much more powerful than pleasure. You get hung up on pleasure; you’re doomed. If you pursue joy; you will find everlasting happiness.” - George Lucas

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Stardust1138 said:

SparkySywer said:

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

We know for a fact that the one he submitted in 2012 wasn’t the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul, and an older one which isn’t the one submitted in 2012, the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul. It could be that the older one was just spitballing, the one submitted in 2012 was catering to Disney, and that he had one main idea with the microscopic ideas and Darth Maul coming back. But I find it more likely he was spitballing the whole time and never had one, single ST idea.

Not true. Check out this interview with Jett Lucas from 2013. He knew in 2011 that George was writing for the Sequel Trilogy.

https://youtu.be/x5GD7GwU9xo

There is literally nothing in this video regarding the content of what he had written and submitted to Disney other than that it focused on passing the torch to a new generation of protagonists. What exactly is your point?

Death of the Author

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SparkySywer said:

Stardust1138 said:

SparkySywer said:

act on instinct said:

Can never get over the line of thinking that because Lucas had multiple ideas for the sequels that means he had x number of alternate versions, the creative process aside along with the fact that these are three movies we’re talking about already, this is the guy obsessed with intercutting multiple stories.

We know for a fact that the one he submitted in 2012 wasn’t the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul, and an older one which isn’t the one submitted in 2012, the microscopic one, or the one with Darth Maul. It could be that the older one was just spitballing, the one submitted in 2012 was catering to Disney, and that he had one main idea with the microscopic ideas and Darth Maul coming back. But I find it more likely he was spitballing the whole time and never had one, single ST idea.

Not true. Check out this interview with Jett Lucas from 2013. He knew in 2011 that George was writing for the Sequel Trilogy.

https://youtu.be/x5GD7GwU9xo

There is literally nothing in this video regarding the content of what he had written and submitted to Disney other than that it focused on passing the torch to a new generation of protagonists. What exactly is your point?

You said that he was probably spitballing. That’s not the case. He was planning and writing his treatments for the Sequels back in 2011 and considering producing them himself before Disney came into the picture. All of which Jett confirms. There’s never been a reliable source to suggest what he told Paul Duncan is different from what he submitted to Disney in 2012.

"Pleasure’s fun. It’s great, but you can’t keep it going forever; just accept the fact that it’s here and it’s gone, and maybe then again, it will come back, and you’ll get to do it again. Joy lasts forever. Pleasure is purely self-centered. It’s all about your pleasure: it’s about you. It’s a selfish, self-centered emotion, that is created by a self-centered motive of greed. Joy is compassion. Joy is giving yourself to somebody else, or something else. And it’s a kind of thing that is, in its subtlety and lowness, much more powerful than pleasure. You get hung up on pleasure; you’re doomed. If you pursue joy; you will find everlasting happiness.” - George Lucas

Author
Time

I’m sorry man but the fact that he was writing treatments a year before submitting treatments doesn’t change my mind that he was spitballing for the 30 years leading up to that

Death of the Author