Sign In

Custom blu-ray setfor the Despecialized Editions — Page 8

Author
Time

I was wanting to know if it is possible to get the raw art for the discs??

“You can’t polish a turd. But you can shape it to look like candy.”

Author
Time

Great job! There are some fantastic design decisions here.

Author
Time

So on your discs you have the logos for BluRay, Fox, Lucas Film, Harmy etc… How do i get those on my own custom discs? Are those the eps files in your link? If so how do I apply to my own design? I only have gimp, because I am a poor man lol

Author
Time

raggagamer said:

KyleEverts said:

I’m currently working on making a set but using a set of cleaner, more modern artwork for the cases and slip covers. I got 3 copies of the Skyfall 007 Steelbook version ($5.99 at Best Buy at the moment great deal) and am going to strip the paint off and clean up the metal and will print my artwork on a transparency film and use a transfer medium to slap a nice design onto the steelbooks then cover with a light clear coat. The Despecialized Editions are definitely deserving of some steel, great work Harmy & friends. And of course I have to make 3/4 coverage slipcovers for each so they don’t get scratched to hell. As far as I’ve seen, no one has attempted this, but if I’m wrong and someone has, could you tell me what you used to strip the artwork off a steelbook please? Also anyone who has an idea is more than welcome to offer one up 😃

Hey Kyle,
had I only read your post a little bit sooner! I basically had the same idea, I only didnt know of foto transfer. So what I ended up doing is getting me some Steelbooks (“Transporter 3” ones for 3€ a pice; you could make a case (see what I did there 😉) those werent even deserving of beeing turned into Star Wars cases) and sanding the paint of with some wet metal sandpaper. 1€ for one A4 format sheet; I spend some 12€ one them incl. shipping and ended up having quite some leftovers. I found the 600 grain size to work best. It got the paint of quickly enough and didnt scratch the case too bad. I finished with some 3000 grain size paper, but to be quite honest, I dont think that was even really necessary. 1000 should be sufficient even if you transfer the paint directly onto it. Either way its quite some work; be as meticulous as you want. And I should add that I have no experience doing stuff like that whatsoever. You might even wanna use some polish off some sort, but thats obviously up to you.

I then resized the cover art to fit a steelbook cover template I found in a youtube video and because I thought it might look good, I “added some transparency” to the pictures beforehand. Essentially what I did was delete the white and gray colors using GIMP2. I then printed all of it out on self-adhesive transparent foto paper and just put it on my cases as is. I designed some “interior artwork” as well; pretty easy to do with the template i already had and makes it look so much better!

Anyway, here are my results:
https://postimg.org/gallery/1rnhe7ow2/

I will probably try that transfer stuff though, as I can simply take of the foto paper whenever I want. Thats what I had in mind to begin with, I just didnt think (or google) it through XD
And I have too say, that I am quite pleased with my cases and a little proud of myself as well. 😃

Big thanks of course to phildesfr for providing all the artwork and the BluRays too. Couldnt have done it without that.

Holy crap these look awesome. Do you have links to buying the materials to make these??

Author
Time

I love how this set inadvertently kind of matches the Rogue One bluray with the front cover kind of spilling over into the spine that has the movie logo centered on it.

Author
Time

I don’t get how someone can be asking HOW to get/make the Despecialized versions in a Thread under the topic of DVD Covers, Disc Labels, and Other Fan Artwork. ARTWORK. Then seemed surprised that they don’t get an answer?

Hard work & perseverance…that’s how. You think someone is just gonna give up the goods? If it were that easy, EVERYONE would have a copy! Besides, even when you get to the link, downloading & creating the mkv’s or AVCHD’s is another arduous process!

We all have to pay our dues…that’s the Price for having the Despeciaized Versions.

IMHO

Remember, short controlled bursts.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

Author
Time

Tyler0013 said:

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

I’m not 100% sure - but I think many of the blu ray covers knocking around may be for cases with 14mm spines.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”

“Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” - Oddball, of The Awkward Squad

Author
Time

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

I’m not 100% sure - but I think many of the blu ray covers knocking around may be for cases with 14mm spines.

Looks like I’ll have to adjust then lol. But it’s weird because the spine looked center and to fit.

Author
Time

Tyler0013 said:

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

I’m not 100% sure - but I think many of the blu ray covers knocking around may be for cases with 14mm spines.

Looks like I’ll have to adjust then lol. But it’s weird because the spine looked center and to fit.

Years ago, to try to make sure my old custom dvd covers were the right size, all aligned up correctly, and the cover itself looked ‘ok’ - I used to do a test print on my old home printer; I’d copy my image file to a MS Word file and then select ‘draft quality’ settings on normal A4 paper, and print it, then cut it out to size and fit it into a dvd case.

Think it saved me a few £££’s on the ink (as well as time and effort) I’d have wasted otherwise 😃

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”

“Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” - Oddball, of The Awkward Squad

Author
Time
 (Edited)

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

I’m not 100% sure - but I think many of the blu ray covers knocking around may be for cases with 14mm spines.

Looks like I’ll have to adjust then lol. But it’s weird because the spine looked center and to fit.

Years ago, to try to make sure my old custom dvd covers were the right size, all aligned up correctly, and the cover itself looked ‘ok’ - I used to do a test print on my old home printer; I’d copy my image file to a MS Word file and then select ‘draft quality’ settings on normal A4 paper, and print it, then cut it out to size and fit it into a dvd case.

Think it saved me a few £££’s on the ink (as well as time and effort) I’d have wasted otherwise 😃

Will actuall try this! Great idea.

Here is the image (orange outline) white she is flip side of a standard blu ray cover. This is how much it over sized.

Oh and the part at top right that looks like it hangs over, it’s just bent up, it’s actually aligned.

Author
Time

Tyler0013 said:

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

oojason said:

Tyler0013 said:

Went to Kinkos to have these printed. My Bluray case sizes are 12.5mm, after printing, I attempted to put them in the cases and they are too big? Did I print these wrong? I told them not to scale. What is the best way to print?

Edit: I did split the PDF before print, could that be why?

I’m not 100% sure - but I think many of the blu ray covers knocking around may be for cases with 14mm spines.

Looks like I’ll have to adjust then lol. But it’s weird because the spine looked center and to fit.

Years ago, to try to make sure my old custom dvd covers were the right size, all aligned up correctly, and the cover itself looked ‘ok’ - I used to do a test print on my old home printer; I’d copy my image file to a MS Word file and then select ‘draft quality’ settings on normal A4 paper, and print it, then cut it out to size and fit it into a dvd case.

Think it saved me a few £££’s on the ink (as well as time and effort) I’d have wasted otherwise 😃

Will actuall try this! Great idea.

Here is the image (orange outline) white she is flip side of a standard blu ray cover. This is how much it over sized.

Oh and the part at top right that looks like it hangs over, it’s just bent up, it’s actually aligned.

Definitely a bit more than 1.5mm in difference on the spine size there mate 😉

I used to have a couple of issues with the size of my dvd covers bring too small when printing off from MS Paint back in the day before my MS Word file ‘trick’ - but never had a problem with it printing too large a cover.

Hopefully it’s just a one-off mistake by the printer lad at Kincos?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”

“Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” - Oddball, of The Awkward Squad

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, it has to be a kinkos fault. I am using his PDF files and his editable .ai files. In his image, it shows standard Blu-ray so I am not sure either lol.

EDIT: Actually MY fault… It was printing the bleed I didn’t trim of the bleed in Illustrator.

Author
Time

I noticed that some of the EPS files included with the “design your own” set are not working properly such as the 77 Star Wars logo. Is there an updated version of the EPS files?

“You can’t polish a turd. But you can shape it to look like candy.”

Author
Time

Second version of my “Despecialized Trilogy” Blu-Ray cover

Trilogy DESP Blu-Ray Cover v2

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Very nice work. I recently printed them at my local copy shop and they look absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

(English is not my native language, sorry for any mistakes.)

Author
Time

What kind of Paper should I use to print covers on? Just regular copy paper?

Author
Time

stormgod1237 said:

What kind of Paper should I use to print covers on? Just regular copy paper?

I use photo paper. I’m too lazy to get up and check brands and serial numbers for you. Sorry. Use some kind of thin photo paper. Don’t go too thick. And definitely don’t use regular paper because the colors won’t pop and the image won’t be as clear. Good luck.

It’s all star wars and that’s the problem!