logo Sign In

2 versions of EP3? this is out of control

Author
Time
I give up. I really do. So there's TWO versions of Episode 3 now. F me rotten. it's ridiculous. Of course, I know in my heart-of-hearts that there will probably be at LEAST 2 new versions when it hits DVD bringing the total to 4 versions.

The May issue of Empire Magazine has a quote from Rick McCallum on the digital version of 'Revenge of the Sith' (Pg 78):

"The digital version of the movie will be different from the version that goes out on film. That has to be locked down so much earlier, whereas the digital can go right up to a week-and-a-half before the film comes out"
Author
Time
wHA???

Any idea on what the changes are? (Make sure to include spoiler tags if you do)
Author
Time
The same was done for Ep II. Slightly different versions were shown in film theaters and digital projection theaters. I seriously seriously doubt that both versions will come out on DVD.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
The changes are extremely minor.

Digital is supposed to have...

Spoilers
A scene where Yoda lands on Dagobah to begin his hermitage.
Or was is some additional backstory behind Grevious.
End Spoiler
Author
Time
For Episode 1, supposedly there were a total of 5 different versions, counting the preview cut.

1. Darth Maul stays in one piece when he falls
2. Darth Maul splits in two near the end of the shaft
3. Darth Maul splits in two almost immediately after falling
4. VHS version supposedly added couple of brief shots of Podrace
5. We all know about the DVD version.

Does anyone know whether the preview cut of Ep. III available on Ares is different from the theatrical film prints or the digital?

Episode II: Shroud of the Dark Side

Emperor Jar-Jar
“Back when we made Star Wars, we just couldn’t make Palpatine as evil as we intended. Now, thanks to the miracles of technology, it is finally possible. Finally, I’ve created the movies that I originally imagined.” -George Lucas on the 2007 Extra Extra Special HD-DVD Edition

Author
Time
Those changes are NOT in the digital version. I saw the digital version 2 weeks ago.
Author
Time

^ Hi DigitalFreakNYC - good to see you back on the boards m8

A little patience goes a long way on this old-school Rebel base. If you are having issues finding what you are looking for, these will be of some help…

Welcome to the OriginalTrilogy.com | Introduce yourself in here | Useful info within : About : Help : Site Rules : Fan Project Rules : Announcements
How do I do this?’ on the OriginalTrilogy.com; some info & answers + FAQs - includes info on how to search for projects and threads on the OT•com

A Project Index for Star Wars Preservations (Harmy’s Despecialized & 4K77/80/83 etc) : A Project Index for Star Wars Fan Edits (adywan & Hal 9000 etc)

… and take your time to look around this site before posting - to get a feel for this place. Don’t just lazily make yet another thread asking for projects.

Author
Time
As long as a slew of deleted scenes are added in the DVD that can be added in while watching the movie, I'm fine with that I guess.
Author
Time
Chances are that those deleted scenes will be integrated with the main movie without an option to not show them like the last two Prequel DVD releases.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them during the long winter evenings."
Author
Time

Originally posted by: digitalfreaknyc
Those changes are NOT in the digital version. I saw the digital version 2 weeks ago.

Wait a second... does that mean we don't get to see Yoda land on Dagobah?
Don't forget: with Lacuna, you can forget.
Author
Time
No; it means we likely will, but there will be no option NOT to see him land on Dagobah.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Okay, NOW with the "workprint" on the loose...

THIS now makes THREE (3) versions of Episode III!!

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time
I have seen a "Film" version and a "Digital" version. They were exactly the same as far as I could tell.
Author
Time
Crap, I was hoping to see some extra footage.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them during the long winter evenings."
Author
Time
The real selling point to DLP is the clean picture. This was my first DLP movie and the picture was superior to any film experience I've had. Detractors may say what they will, but no scratches, no pops, no cigarette burns ... beautiful picture that frankly runs rings around celluloid. The only thing I miss is film grain. There is a characteristic to film grain.

This is the reason above all to see DLP ... it's like watching a DVD on hi-def TV, but one that's 2 stories tall. Now, if they only had DLP IMAX ... what an experience that would be.

I think we get different "versions" because Lucas is an incessant tinkerer. Since he could tweak Ep II further before the DLP release, he did. Some of the changes were good (Padme's "getting up" scene was more believable) and some were bad (I'm a Jedi, I know I'm better than this).

If there are different versions of Ep III, then it's highly likely that the DLP version is what will go to DVD.
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: ADigitalMan
The real selling point to DLP is the clean picture. This was my first DLP movie and the picture was superior to any film experience I've had. Detractors may say what they will, but no scratches, no pops, no cigarette burns ... beautiful picture that frankly runs rings around celluloid. The only thing I miss is film grain. There is a characteristic to film grain..

I saw it in film last night and @#$%@#$ There was a reel changover and guess what? The outgoing reel was a nice warm in the skintones and in incoming was magenta hell. This is one of my biggest pet peevess.

But you DIDN'T miss the film grain because Lucas shot the whole thing in HD. You saw a better representation of what they were doing in post all along.
Author
Time
So are there actually any differences in the DLP and film versions of the movie? Just curious. I'm seeing the DLP version tomorrow. I've watched about a half-hour of the workprint (cause I'm a desperate nerd) but quit there because I was enjoying it too much and didn't want to totally ruin the experience. It's pretty damned good so far! Sure, the dialogue still bites for the most part, but the acting and pacing seems so much better than the last two films.
Author
Time
NO DIFFERENCES...

But the quality is amazing...check out all the subtle colors in the sky...crystal clear sound and image....amazing. It is the way it is meant to be seen!
  • Todd

STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga

Author
Time

Originally posted by: ADigitalMan
... it's like watching a DVD on hi-def TV, but one that's 2 stories tall.

That's pretty much the idea that turns me off to the concept. I enjoy the film experience. I've never been bothered by any defects in the film. I've watching a movie, not the format it's on. I go to a theatre to see a film, not a glorified DVD.

Still, if you enjoy it, more power to ya. ^_^

Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time

This is the reason above all to see DLP ... it's like watching a DVD on hi-def TV, but one that's 2 stories tall. Now, if they only had DLP IMAX ... what an experience that would be.

I think we get different "versions" because Lucas is an incessant tinkerer. Since he could tweak Ep II further before the DLP release, he did. Some of the changes were good (Padme's "getting up" scene was more believable) and some were bad (I'm a Jedi, I know I'm better than this).

If there are different versions of Ep III, then it's highly likely that the DLP version is what will go to DVD.

I saw Attack of the Clones at the IMAX and I was blown away at the picture and sound quality over standard film. SITH will most likely show up at the IMAX around Christmastime just like Episode 2. BTW, there were a few different scenes between the Ep.2 IMAX versions and DVD. I dont know if the IMAX versions and the film versions were the same or not???? So would you guys say that DLP is way better than even IMAX?
Author
Time
I've got 4 prints of this running @ my theatre, and I have to say that they look about 10 times better than the theatrical prints of AOTC. Whoever took care of the prints must have had a chat with Robert Rodriguez' people; they are nice and sharp, with about as much grain as a film interpositive. Well done, and I'm sorry to hear that others' experiences have not been the same.

As to differences b/w AOTC and AOTC: The IMAX Experience...about 20 minutes worth (romantic subplot downplayed and the film was tightened up overall). At the time, IMAX platters were only capable of holding 120 minutes of film (YOU try lifting an IMAX print: it's 15 perf 70mm, and the average 120 minute film weighs in @ ~500 lbs), but they made changes to their platter system in early 2003 and increased the capacity to 150 minutes. The same was true of Apollo 13:TIE.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time

Originally posted by: Anakin's Mannequin
Hey Digital, what'd you think of Sith?

Dropping my comments in and out as I return to the boards. I was actually on vacation all week, and saw Ep III (twice) while on the road in DLP.

Short review:
Great movie. Needs some re-editing, but not much. (I address my plans in the re-edit thread)
As usual, Lucas took out the wrong scenes when cutting it down. Just like Anakin beating up Greedo, or Padme's parents or Obi-Wan and Mace in the hangar, there are some scenes that just should not have been cut.
My only real beef with the movie is consistency with ROTJ. Leia does remember her mother, and I just don't buy her remembering her from the womb, no matter how strong Leia is with the Force. Lucas may think this line is not incongruous with the OT, but it is, no matter how you slice it or dice it. Padme should have lived on at the end of the film, knowing her condition was terminal. She should have gone with Bail to Alderaan and died there some time later. I LIKE the whole Padme dying thing and how it played out (except for the actual "reason" she was dying), I just find it grossly incongruous with the OT. And I'm NOT going to remove that line from ROTJ in a re-edit 2.0.
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.