Sign In

In Defense of the Ewoks

Replies
24
Author
Time

The Ewoks are probably the most controversial part of the whole original trilogy. Many ask “How could the Empire lose to a bunch of teddy bears?” It is my understanding that they were originally supposed to be wookies. I would argue that Ewoks actually work better for the story. Just hear me out.

One of the things that makes Lord of the Rings such a great story is the fact that little people from an insignificant place called the Shire ultimately take out Sauron and save the world. I find the notion that small and humble people can make a big difference compelling.

In Return of the Jedi, the Ewoks make all the difference in the Rebellion’s victory at the battle of Endor. But how? Aren’t they little balls of fur? Yes. But they are also very resourceful. They can’t be underestimated. Which is exactly what the Empire did. They completely dismissed the ewoks as a non-threat. The great, wise and powerful Emperor Palpatine had a seemingly flawless master plan to trap the rebels and destroy them. Everything was going according to plan until the ewoks joined the battle and caught the imperial army off-guard. Just as Sauron overlooked a couple of hobbits, Palpatine overlooked a bunch of teddy bears. It is poetic justice.

This post has been edited.

Author
Time

The Ewoks funded many experimental films.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

Adam812 said:

One of the things that makes Lord of the Rings such a great story is the fact that little people from an insignificant place called the Shire ultimately take out Sauron and save the world. I find the notion that small and humble people can make a big difference compelling.

Yeah, but one was executed well and the other was not.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

Ewoks are not a problem in themselves. Pacing and storytelling are the issue.

Author
Time

I wish the Ewoks weren’t used for scenes of cute humour. I would have given them an even darker edge than what is seen in RETURN OF THE JEDI (the heroes about to be roasted on a spit).

Mr Lucas missed a golden opportunity with the SE of JEDI. I would have included shots of Ewoks feasting on cooked Imperial flesh - huge close-ups - DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) style.

Perhaps even a shot of a baby Ewok tasting it’s first Biker Scout?

Author
Time

Slavicuss said:

I wish the Ewoks weren’t used for scenes of cute humour. I would have given them an even darker edge than what is seen in RETURN OF THE JEDI (the heroes about to be roasted on a spit).

Mr Lucas missed a golden opportunity with the SE of JEDI. I would have included shots of Ewoks feasting on cooked Imperial flesh - huge close-ups - DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) style.

Perhaps even a shot of a baby Ewok tasting it’s first Biker Scout?

This is Star Wars, not a video nasty!


Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Me too! It took Jar Jar to make me realize that of course.


Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I was an ewok once. And what a summer that was…

^ Needs to pull the stick out.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Me too! It took Jar Jar to make me realize that of course.

If you invert the syllables of “ewok”, it gives “wookie”.
But if you invert the syllables of “Jar Jar”, it still gives “Jar Jar”.

Incredible but true…

Author
Time

I like the Ewoks. Except for Wicket hitting himself in the face, the comedy was mostly in their non battle scenes. I also really like the two Ewok TV movies and would love a blu-ray release of them.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

lovelikewinter said:

I like the Ewoks. Except for Wicket hitting himself in the face, the comedy was mostly in their non battle scenes. I also really like the two Ewok TV movies and would love a blu-ray release of them.

Did you write this sentence under duress?

Author
Time

ZigZig said:

lovelikewinter said:

I like the Ewoks. Except for Wicket hitting himself in the face, the comedy was mostly in their non battle scenes. I also really like the two Ewok TV movies and would love a blu-ray release of them.

Did you write this sentence under duress?

How can you not love Wilfred Brimley using the power of Diabeetus to beat up an alien king and rescue teddy bears?

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

lovelikewinter said:

How can you not love Wilfred Brimley using the power of Diabeetus to beat up an alien king and rescue teddy bears?

Did you write this sentence under the influence of illegal substances?

Author
Time

Ewok Apologetics

Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? none holds them up except Allah. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe. – Quran (16:79)

Author
Time

As I’ve said before, I think the Ewoks got tamed in the editing room. But glimpses of what was shot remain.

If an Ewok can figure out a speeder bike, shooting a blaster is not a stretch.


Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

As I’ve said before, I think the Ewoks got tamed in the editing room.

Icky Sex in Star Wars, again.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

SilverWook said:

As I’ve said before, I think the Ewoks got tamed in the editing room.

If they were actually fierce, no one could have tamed them in the first place!

What I mean is they probably shot some scenes of Ewoks shooting down the troops and Lucas thought it too dark. Lucasfilm was so uptight about Ewoks being really violent they had Topps censor a 90’s trading card.

I guess they had no problem with the mace though.


Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

As I’ve said before, I think the Ewoks got tamed in the editing room. But glimpses of what was shot remain.

If an Ewok can figure out a speeder bike, shooting a blaster is not a stretch.

They also managed to tailor a dress and footwear to fit the princess. These things have creative skills.

To the top