- The title… the most boring and obvious meaning. Rey who takes the name Skywalker. That’s all. Nothing from Luke, Leia or Anakin.
- Palpatine’s death is just ridiculous. First, in Episode III he didn’t die because of Force lightning being re-directed at him. Why does he die now? Plus, the whole “I’m all the Sith!!!” VS “I’m all the Jedi!!!” is… is… you choose the words.
LMAO, yeah I was thinking much the same thing. Also someone has posted a clip of that scene here. My problem with it is that Palps never cares about another Sith. He kills his master. He sends Darth Maul to his death, falsely promising “they will be no match for you”, do you think he cares? Of course not! He’s testing his apprentice to see if he’s strong enough for him. In the prequels, Palpatine has a really great but subtle character arc. His relationship with Anakin is very different to the one he had with Darth Maul, with Anakin they start out as friends and he uses him to betray the other Jedi. Palpatine single-handedly destroyed the Sith, and then he went about destroying the Jedi as well. So his line, never-mind Rey’s line, just makes no sense he would never say “I’m all the Sith” because he’s claiming to be all of something that he destroyed! He didn’t want to share his power, he didn’t train Darth Vader he just recognised how strong with the Force he was and brought him over to his side. In the original trilogy, Darth Vader is never referred to as a Sith, he’s a Jedi that has been converted to the dark side (for example I’ve always understood “Your sad devotion to that ancient religion …” to be referring to him as a Jedi not Sith).
And as for Rey taking the name Skywalker - makes no sense. It’s Leia Organa (or is it Leia Solo?) who trains her. The only Skywalker she meets is Luke.
- They all said for months that this would have been the ending for the whole saga. But there is NOTHING from the prequels… and I didn’t even hear anything in the soundtrack (not Duel of the Fates, nor Battle of Heroes, nothing).
- The Skywalker family has become a joke. Anakin didn’t do anything. Luke didn’t do anything. Leia didn’t do anything. It was a Palpatine who brought balance.
- So… Palpatine had a son. When? With whom? And why? It sounds like the whole Cursed Child storyline. Both Voldemort and Palpatine are characters who are not supposed to have any offspring, because they both tried to achieve immortality.
Yep I was pretty much thinking the same things. What are they “concluding”? They’re just undoing the ending from one film (Return of the Jedi) and shifting it to this one. One massive retcon to rule them all. Palpy had a deadbeat son, really?
The Last Jedi was coherent, wether people liked it or not. This one was two hours and half of them saying “TLJ didn’t happen. here, look at palpy and be happy”.
Yep it was coherent. I just felt unfinished - there was no lightsaber battle for example.
There are of course things I liked. Lando is so cool. Babu Frik is funny. Williams score has a couple of very good moments. And the whole fleet arrival is just great.
But except for these aspects, I was disappointed.
Last thing: I’m not classified as a prequel hater, sequel hater or original worshipper. I just judge the single movies. My favourite in the saga is Episode V, followed by Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope at second place. Then there’s The Last Jedi.
See that’s interesting. Lots of people think Revenge of the Sith is the best prequel, I’ve changed my mind over that a few times, and I’m back to thinking it’s the worst because of how it betrays all our beloved characters. If Revenge of the Sith had really preceded the Original Trilogy, then fans would have been just as angry about finding Yoda living as a cynical old hermit refusing to train Jedi as when they found Luke living as one in TLJ. There’s literally no reason why Obi-Wan shouldn’t have spent the time between Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars (A New Hope) training new Jedi, and for that matter Yoda as well. These are the last two Jedi in the galaxy, and they just give up and let the Sith Emperor rule?