I don’t know anything about current activity on this project, but I do know that a couple people on YouTube (including one who is also on the Topaz forums) is working on 90s Trek upscaling.
Independently, I’ve begun upscaling my DS9 and VOY DVDs to 1080p using some custom Topaz settings and then a polish export via DaVinci Resolve. The results aren’t as scene-specific as this effort, but they’re a huge step up from the DVDs and enough to let my family enjoy the episodes.
I follow the following steps:
- Rip MKV file from DVD.
- Run through Topaz to Deinterlace using Proteus 4 w the standard refocus setting.
- Run though Topaz using Apollo to make the video 30 fps - this is just something I do for all my files to ensure a universal framerate for my footage.
- Run through Topaz using a manual-setting Proteus 4 upscale to full hd 1080p.
- Add slight hallation effect in DaVinci Resolve and re-export - this reduces the file size too.
- Re-export using Handbrake to further reduce the file size, ending up around 2-2.5 GB per episode.