Can you include my upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi - The Ultimate Cut in this list?
Like many people, I was very dissatisfied with The Last Jedi, mainly due to the characterization, storytelling, the amount of plot holes and inconsistencies, etc. For a while now I have been planning on making own edit, combining in changes and ideas from other edits such as Ivan Ortega’s re-edit, poppasketti’s “The Last Jedi: Rekindled”, Hal 9000’s “The Last Jedi: Legendary”, etc., while implementing my own changes.
I will be listing the changes from myself and said edits, including planned changes that I might do in the future (if I have the time, resources, and some help). And, of course, some changes are actually placeholder.
- Insert the Walt Disney opening logo in the very beginning, because Lucasfilm is (obviously) owned by Disney now
- Make a new opening crawl establishing that Rey has been “travelling across the stars to find the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker” (implying that some time has passed in-between NeverarGreat’s edit for The Force Awakens and this edit)
- Before the Dreadnought arrives, insert deleted scene of a Resistance officer telling Poe that the First Order has found the Resistance
- Insert subtitles when BB-8 beeps “I’ve got a bad feeling about this…” before the opening Poe and Hux scene
- Color-correct/desaturate the video game footage in Ivan’s edit to match with the film, so it wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb
- Insert Wilhelm scream somewhere in the movie (maybe in the opening Dreadnought battle or on Crait)
- Edit the re-inserted shot of Kylo in Ivan’s edit to trim the close-up of his face so we can preserve the impact of seeing his face for the first time in the movie in Snoke’s throne room
- After Finn asks “Where’s Rey?”, we cut to the Falcon in hyperspace at the end of The Force Awakens
- Instead of tossing his father’s saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he’s sorry (similar to the Anti-Cringe Cut)
- Insert deleted scene of Luke mourning Han (no close-up of Rey peeking at the door)
- Insert deleted scene of Poe giving Finn his jacket before the “You’re demoted” scene
- Cut Leia slapping Poe, we just go straight to her telling him “You’re demoted.”
- Cut Luke milking an animal and drinking green milk and going fishing (the latter scene is saved for the training montage seen in Ivan’s edit)
- Trim the Luke and Rey “Where are you from?” scene to have it just be Luke asking “Where are you from?” and Rey mentioning Jakku
- Luke doesn’t tell Rey that he will never train another generation of Jedi, he just tells her “I can’t teach you.”
- Luke doesn’t want the Jedi to end: when Rey asks why Luke can’t train her, he just hesitates.
- Finn doesn’t believe that hyperspace tracking is impossible, because he mopped the tracker room
- Re-insert deleted scene of BB-8 showing Finn a holographic recording of Rey in The Force Awakens
*Luke doesn’t explain to Rey why the Jedi need to end (sorry, no Darth Sidious mention): instead, we cut immediately to him telling her how he failed Ben
- We see the visions when Luke reads Ben’s mind, before cutting straight to him igniting his saber (based on Darth Porg’s video)
- Remove Yoda lifting his finger before the lightning hits the tree. Force ghosts using lighting creates a massive plot hole, that’s why I removed it.
- Trim the ironing scene to remove the iron landing as if it were a shuttle (the clothing scene is necessary to show why Finn and Rose got First Order uniforms for a disguise)
- Trimmed Rey saying “You underestimate Skywalker, and Ben Solo, and me!” to only have her say “You underestimate Skywalker!”
- Remove Snoke saying Rey’s name, as we don’t know how he knew her name
- Remove Snoke referring to Kylo as the “heir and apparent of Lord Vader”
- Fix “frame-freeze” error in Ivan’s version of the throne room fight
- Remove Kylo mentioning the Sith during his ”it’s time to let old things die” speech
- Fixed the “blue” space background when Ackbar is going to sacrifice himself in Ivan’s edit
- Trimmed the scene where Hux looks at Snoke’s corpse to remove the silly close-up
- Add a scene of Luke looking at the twin suns and uses the Force to lift his X-Wing before flying to Crait, using footage from this CGI fan film. (Sorry, but it’s the best I could do, it’s also placeholder for now)
- We don’t get the projection reveal: instead, we cut to a shot of Rey, as we hear Kylo slashing Luke. (I’m removing the “Luke is a projection” reveal and having him actually go to Crait instead in order to avoid being too similar to Escape from L.A.)
- The film ends as the Falcon enters hyperspace, meaning no broom kid
- After the credits, we hear Palpatine’s sinister laugh from the teaser for The Rise of Skywalker, setting up said film
- Put the ending Walt Disney logo (seen in many current Disney credits) after the end credits
NOTE: Some will require help from other users, and some will be done at a later time because I don’t have the proper camera, software and effects. At the moment I am using Filmora, and it doesn’t have features like rotoscoping or selecting one thing and color-correcting just one or more details like in Photoshop. I’m just some dude who lives with my family, and I’m very, very limited on editing and all that.
- Edit the sky in the first Rey and Luke scene to be consistent with The Force Awakens
- Replace the rotoscoped footage of Ackbar in Ivan’s edit with a new version of Ackbar that looks 100% consistent with his other appearances in the sequel trilogy, and redub his lines to sound more accurate (the computer I’m working with has an awful microphone)
- Change Holdo’s hair color to a natural hair color (e.g. blonde)
- Edit Luke’s hair and beard on Crait to accurately match with his other appearances in the film (in terms of length and color)
IVAN ORTEGA’S CHANGES
- Color grading of the whole movie
- Remove Lieutenant Connix saying “Oh, no”
- Cut General Hux looking at a First Order officer after saying “A single light fighter…”
- Re-cut the prank call scene to make Hux’s monologue and, well, remove the prank call.
- Cut Leia telling C-3PO to “wipe that nervous expression off your face!”
- Trim and re-cut BB-8 fixing Poe’s X-wing</li>
- Re-insert deleted shot of Paige Tico shooting the TIE fighters
- Insert Battlefront footage of X-Wings and TIE fighters
- Re-insert deleted scene of Paige Tico taking the mask off and looking at the medallion, as well as put dramatic music over it
- Insert voiceover explaining how the bombs fall
- Re-insert deleted shot of Kylo looking through the window
- Finn has a dream of the duel with Kylo in The Force Awakens, motivating him to wake up
- Added in shot of the island to imply that time has passed
- Trim the Chewie and Luke scene to remove Rey translating for Chewie
- Remove Snoke saying “A new Vader…”, and it’s now Kylo looking up to Snoke as he mentions “Now, I fear… I was mistaken.”
- Remove Snoke telling Kylo to “Take that ridiculous thing off!”
- Cut shot of the Praetorian Guards bringing out their weapons after Snoke strike Kylo with lightning
- Remove Snoke telling Kylo that “he is no Vader”, he just says “Alas, you’re just a child in a mask…”
- Insert repurposed footage of Admiral Ackbar in Return of the Jedi with new voiceover, as he explains that there may be a spy on the ship
- Re-cut many scenes and bonus material to make a training montage with voiceover
- Trimmed most of the Canto Bight sequence, including the humor
- The Praetorian Guard fight is re-scored and parts of it is a bit faster (also Rey shouting during the fight is cut)
- Fixed the infamous error of a Praetorian Guard’s blade
being dusted by Thanosdisappearing
- Trimmed the “Rey is nobody” reveal to just have it be Kylo telling Rey that her parents are dead, with dramatic music inserted
- Trimmed the build-up to Rey and Kylo’s “Force tug-of-war” to remove the hand shots, in order to make it less obvious
- Ackbar sacrifices himself instead of Holdo
- Insert Battlefront footage of a Speeder on Crait
- Luke has his lightsaber (both the blade color and the hilt) from Return of the Jedi
- Other minor changes
- When the TIE fighters hit the ship, instead of us seeing Leia and the crew members getting sucked into space, the screen goes white, as we see a shot of the Raddus from above
- Insert a shot of Poe, Finn, and Connix reacting to flying Leia, which is now repurposed into them reacting to the Raddus getting hit
- Leia doesn’t fly in space, and we cut straight to Hux talking about fuel to Resistance doctors putting an oxygen mask on an unconscious Leia
- Removed Finn fighting Phasma and BB-8 in an imperial walker, as well as rotoscoped BB-8 into the scene where Finn and Rose are running towards the shuttle (+ shot of Phasma’s corpse)
- Re-inserted the deleted “where we belong” scene
- Rose is shot down just after Finn says “No, I won’t let them win.”
- Finn gets shot down by an imperial walker instead of being crashed into by Rose.
- Rotoscoped Finn and Rose out of the battering ram cannon firing and explosion. Added reaction shot from Kylo Ren.
HAL 9000’S CHANGES
- Made it appear as though Finn and Rose follow DJ out of the cell, briefly elude the guards, and the scene ends. Next time we see the trio, they are already in hyperspace.
- Removed Rey asking Kylo Ren if he has a cowl to put on
- Trimmed the heavy, direct hinting before Snoke’s death, using musical score from TFA (courtesy of OT.com user poppasketti)
- Removed Rey’s triple-TIE combo shot, with the Falcon’s involvement in the battle being first revealed with its shadow sweeping by and a single TIE being shot down
I want to let you know to keep in mind that this edit is not perfect, and I’m going to be releasing a “rough cut” of the edit by December 25, 2019. After I release the “rough cut”, I’m going to be making some more changes. Also, I am open to suggestions (including Vimeo clips in the comments that require passwords), so let me know in the comments below!
NeverarGreat (for the fact that his edit sounded so good that I wanted mines to take place after it)
Just to let you guys know, I will start working on this edit after I release the rough cut of my upcoming edit for The Last Jedi on December 25, 2019. If you have any suggestions for this edit, let me know! 😃
^Seriously? Did they actually release something like that?
Is that Brie Larson?
Do you plan on re-inserting the deleted scene where BB-8 shows Finn a hologram of Rey from the end of The Force Awakens?
Do you plan on using Adywan’s ANH: Revisited?
I hadn’t planned on it, but I may use his Battle of Yavin if I can find a good enough source to use. What other changes from Revisited do you recommend?
When ANH:R HD comes out, use most of his changes.
Do you plan on using Adywan’s ANH: Revisited?
I’m currently working on my edit for TLJ, and here’s the new crawl so far:
The galaxy is in chaos!
Having decimated the REPUBLIC
capital, Supreme Leader Snoke
now deploys his merciless
legions to seize military
control of the galaxy.
Meanwhile, Rey, having
travelled across the stars
has finally located the Jedi
Master Luke Skywalker, certain
that he will return and restore
a spark of hope to the fight.
General Leia Organa’s
band of RESISTANCE fighters
has been exposed. As the First
Order speeds toward the base,
little hope remains…
What do you think? 😄
The edit that inspired Adywan’s Star Wars Revisited series.
Do you plan on removing Snoke mentioning that Kylo needs to complete his training? I mean, Kylo’s training isn’t really important in The Last Jedi.
Hal, are you also going to release the uncompressed tracks ? I’ve just finished to sync the alternate track for TAS v6 (thanks again to Ash for rendering the file in dts quality 😉), I could do the same for LoE v6 (alternate ending version included, since I think it will be my go version and the Vader’s scream is the original one, I do prefer the less terrible russian one).
Btw, great work on v6. I really like you put back a few thinks I’m kinda fond of, but the most important thing for me is the Anakin shot inside the Temple while the Jedi are getting killed by the Clones. It’s just perfect that way. It’s very close to be the perfect edit of EpIII for me ( just miss the apartment scenes and maybe the “Sergio Leone” close up on Grievous, but they might have been tricky to incorporate in this new and better flow of the sequences). Impressive work on removing Chewie (I’m neutralto that change, but if I stay true to myself and to what I don’t like about the Sequels, I must admit that Chewie in EpIII was just dumb fanservice) and the droids (again neutral to that change, but the job is seamless).
Here his the alternate audio changelist I could try to make for v6 (considering previous v5 audio changes have been implemented in v6):
Added clone trooper’s “General Kenobi. General Skywalker.” (with added radio effect) from TCW tvseries (C1-C3)
Replaced Grievous “Ahhhhhh!” with “The negociator!” (C3 only)
When the firemen ships come to help Anakin, added a clone trooper’s “General Skywalker?” (with native and ressourced radio effect) from TCW tvseries (C3 only)
Added Palpatine’s deleted dialogue line to Anakin appointment scene (C1-C2-C3)
(You fought many battles the Jedi Council thought were lost. And… you saved my life.)
Added Anakin chuckling (C3 only)
When Anakin marches on the Jedi Temple, replaced the recycled cue with Vader’s theme variation from Joel McNeely’s “Shadows of the Empire’s Main Title” (All Channels)
Added a “No…” before Vader’s infamous "No!"
(well, not sure about that one… I need fresh ears)
(it’s kinda the “Clone Wars canon cut” alternate track 😄)
Is it the “No…” in the RotJ 2011 Blu-ray?
I’m having my upcoming edit for TLJ take place after your edit of TFA (because my viewing order will be Rogue One, ANH:R HD, ESB:R, TFoR, RotJ:R, TFA:TSP, my TLJ edit, and an edit for TRoS). What do you think?
the iconic scene
Which scene is that?
Do you plan on “modernizing” the iconic binary sunset scene for your 720p edit, like how you “modernized” some other shots?
Did you have any plans to revisit the sequel trilogy before you decided to quit after ANH:R HD?
@Petrovelly Do you plan on remastering ESB and RotJ?
Do you guys think never showing Vader’s suit in ROTS would be a little disappointing for people?
I always that it was funny how Sidious conveniently had that uniquely-designed suit laying around for Anakin to put on shortly after he was burned to a crisp (did he just 3D print it real quick?).
I could see an edit that shows Anakin’s burnt body being carried to Coruscant, and then the next time we see him you could use the brief scene from Rogue One of him in the bacta tank. It makes sense that you would put him in there to stabilize him before throwing him into that suit. The robed figure could be Sidious coming in to check on him, just cut to a different shot before he bows down.
You could even keep the shot of Vader on the star destroyer and let that be the first time we see the suit. Of course you’d lose the Frankenstein parallels and the visual parallels of Vader’s birth and Padme’s death/the twins’ birth, but it is just an alternate idea.
You just gave me an idea for my Fall of Skywalker 3-in-1 edit! 😃
Here is a clip of a remastered Millennium Falcon shot. Do you plan on using it for your edit?
Here is what my viewing order will be:
Rogue One, ANH:R HD, ESB:R, TFoR (my upcoming 3-in-1 anthology prequel edit), RotJ:R, TFA (NevarGreat), TLJ (my upcoming edit), and TRoS (any upcoming edit that I feel is best).
@poppasketti The first Rey and Luke scene looks so inconsistent with the ending of The Force Awakens (in terms of the sky and grass). Do you plan on color-correcting/editing it to look consistent with TFA?
Luke projecting in TLJ had a lot more importance than Yoda projecting in the prequels would. It has consequences, for example Luke can’t be killed by Kylo Ren because he’s not really there. Yoda projecting would just be an unimportant detail since it doesn’t have any tangible effect, and would probably undermine Luke’s projection in TLJ.
Don’t let me get in the way of anything, but I think projection Yoda is a bad idea.
In my upcoming edit for TLJ, Luke doesn’t project himself across the galaxy: he just raises his X-Wing from the water and flies to Crait. (This means I’ll have to make his hair and beard consistent with his other appearances and he’ll get his green saber back.)
Also, if possible, I’ll use a shot of Yoda reacting to the deaths of the Jedi during Order 66 to make it look like he’s getting weaker due to the projection, which could explain why he’s weaker in the OT compared to the PT (and not just old age).
act on instinct said:
act on instinct said:
Can projection yoda possibly be accomplished using his existing Geonosis material? Or in a Jedi temple? Basically if force projection yoda were established it would need a shot of real yoda meditating, so where is he?
At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Yoda is seen meditating just before Bail Organa enters the room. Maybe I can use that shot?
Doesn’t seem close enough to convey the intensity well enough, probably him in the shadows with the blinds is better but I wouldn’t say what’s best without knowing how much preexisting pensive yoda there is out there.
You mean from when Yoda is talking to Anakin earlier in the film?
Peter Pan said:
Here it is.
Again, I really need suggestions on how to improve it.
Yoda uses Force Projection to fight Palpatine. The reason is that while Yoda is on the asteroid meditating, he’s witnessing everything that’s happening, and he hears Palpatine in his office saying: “Tell the captain to ready my shuttle. I sense Lord Vader is in danger”.
Yoda knows that Kenobi is going to fight Anakin, and if Palpy goes to help Anakin, Obi Wan is doomed. So he uses the projection to stall the Emperor, just like Luke in EpVIII.
*Color Correction (not finished). Volume still needs work. Less cringe from Anakin. Shortened duel. I removed the way-too-fast parts, at least wherever I could. I tried to remove the parts where Yoda and Palpy’s lightsabers keep their contacts. Final music, which I think is kind of ok, but tell me what you think. Yoda’s voicover from previous movies or previous moments from this movie.*
I liked that you cut most of the dialogue from the Anakin vs. Obi fight, it worked extraordinary well in combination with the music and voiceover.
Apart from that I think you should cut the Yoda‘s fingernails losing grip part, it is just to much physical interaction for a projection.
P.S.: I would try to remove the ray shields that protected the mustafar station and explain the massiv volcanic eruptions because of Anakins rage, this would be more fate of the universe like and Anakin would appear much more like an all powerful Chosen One. It would also suit him talking about his new powers, overestimating them and eventually leading to his downfall.
To be fair, Luke’s projection kissed Leia on the forehead in TLJ.