I present to you v1.0 of Hobbs & Shaw: BFF Extended Edition. I considered other names for it including Family Affair Edition or We Are Family Edition, but decided on BFF Edition. I’m happy with the name, but if someone proposes another name that I like better, I’d be very open to using it.
This movie came with many deleted, expanded, and alternate bonus scenes. This edition includes every viable piece of footage of every one of the bonus scenes with the exception of the majority of alternate scene of Dinkley talking to Hobbs & Shaw on the phone when they are driving in Samoa. The scenes were truly alternate in both dialogue and visual aspects. Between the two, I preferred the theatrical version both from the cinematic visual scene and the dialogue in the scene was better than the bonus version. Even though I used the theatrical version, I did include the last quip of footage from the alternate footage.
With all of that being said, this is version 1.0 of the edit. There are five very minor things that I want to improve. Fortunately, I feel that they don’t totally take away from enjoying this film in its current rendition:
- In one of the bonus scenes, there is about 1/2 second shot where a stunt rope can be scene. This very small footage needs to have the rope removed/scrubbed and color coordinated with the rest of the scene.
- One of the bonus expanded scenes actually starts about 1 second after the theatrical version. The audio from the theatrical before the start of the bonus scene actually enhances the dialogue on screen. However, that one second of video footage needs to be color corrected with the rest of the scene.
- Although my mantra was to use as much of the bonus material as reasonably possible, I do realize that less is more at times. I’m having second thoughts about the last bit of footage from the alternate Dinkley phone conversation footage. While I like the dialogue and what it represents to the character, since it is an alternate background, the background change might be too jarring within the context of the film as there really isn’t something that readily suggests a transition from one point to another (even though the change of sceneries happens naturally anyways)
- There is an additional mid-credits scene. I found the place that it should go. However, the transition from scrolling credits to scene and back to scrolling credits is a little abrupt for my taste. I’d like to improve that. It wouldn’t hurt if it was color matched to a previous mid-credit scene that takes place in the same location.
- I found a very very minor flaw between scene transitions at the end of the film from the theatrical footage to the bonus scene. The audio change is a little abrupt. You will hear that in the current rendition. I have already fixed that for a future revision.
With that in mind, if you’d like to see my current rendition, I’ll be glad to show you. Being a novice and learning the skills needed to complete what I need to above will take time, so it’s not like my v1.1 or v1.2 will be out next week, but I do intend on fully remedying what I see are the five small points above. Of course, if anyone else can point things out that need improving, I’m definitely open to suggestions.
Theatrical Edition: 2:15:56
BFF Extended Edition: 2:32:45
Hope you enjoy it.