Sign In

TheHutt

User Group
Members
Join date
17-Sep-2006
Last activity
31-Jul-2021
Posts
402

Post History

Post
#1441975
Topic
The Shining - Restoring the German Version (WIP)
Time

Gave it a test watching yesterday.
Everything is quite fine, but the localized last shot (taken from the VHS) turned out to be quite a falloff in quality.
After so much effort in the opening credits, such a shot would be unworthy. Especially when zoomed further in for the 16:9 version.

So I decided to redo it with retouching and keyframe animation.

Post
#1406801
Topic
The Shining - Restoring the German Version (WIP)
Time

The Intro Credits

As it is well-known, Kubrick (at least up to and including The Shining) used to do complete localization for credits for his movies. The Shining is no exception in this matter. The entire intro sequence is in German.

I had two sources of German credits. One was the VHS version, the original theatrical sequence was used. Unfortunately, it has a rather bad quality.
Then, the version by TV station ZDF. This has been re-created digitally.

After several attemtps of upscaling VHS footage, I was quite unhappy with the results. Neither the AI approach, nor my AVS filters could produce anything of at least of a decent quality, even after color-correction.

So I decided to take the English footage and rotoscope out the titles that need translation. For that, I broke up the relevant sequences into single frames and edited them one by one.

My first approach was using Photoshop’s Content-Aware Fill feature. That worked quite okay, however, it had noticeable flaws at high-contrast areas. Then it tends to produce artefacts which I deemed unacceptable. They are especially visible in motion (see the random piece of rock at “L” in “STANLEY”). But what’s even worse, are the boundaries between the mountains and the sky. That was quite inacceptable.

After that, I had to refine my workflow. The German TV version has proved quite helpful, as the credits are rolling there at different locations and with a different speed. Therefore, I could combine the two footages (albeit after alignment and color correction) in order to cover up the credits in original footage.
As there were still differences in color, brightness etc., I have combined the two approaches. After that, some retouching by hand frame-by-frame still remains though.

Here a video sample I am quite content with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9CjRbTVCas

Screenshot:

Post
#1390014
Topic
Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon - German Version (RELEASED)
Time

The VHS mono audio was in a better quality than expected (though far from hifi). However, there are several serious asynchronization on the track. Also, it has some audio dropouts which are most notable during narration (pieces of audio are just missing).

After some tweaking, I seem to have found the parameters for dynamic compression and equalization in order to fill those things with a fold-down of the German BluRay dub so that the difference in quality is not very notable.

Here is an example.
https://sndup.net/7xt5

Post
#1388916
Topic
Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon - German Version (RELEASED)
Time

The fascinating thing about the credits is, that back then, all those nifty movie job titles, “Gaffer”, “Grip” and so on, actually had German translations.
It’s been lost by approximately the beginning of the 80s (when they stopped translating the entire credits in Germany, and just stuck to the title). Even Kubrick didn’t bother translating the credits for FMJ, if I remember correctly.

img

Post
#1388175
Topic
Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon - German Version (RELEASED)
Time

but on the second one that opening “ST” on Stanley is kind of distracting with the different sizes of the letters.

The funny thing about it: the names are actually from the original English HD footage. They were not touched at all. (with the exception of added umlauts to be conform to the German names / end titles).

Post
#1387987
Topic
Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon - German Version (RELEASED)
Time

Anyway, here is for my intended approach.

I am doing a (as far it’s possible) faithful recreation of the titles used:

  • Intro credits
  • Part 1 & 2 intertitles (Intermission was absent in the German version, it will be blacked out)
  • Epilogue
  • End credits

For the End credits, I already identified the font used, so it will be not a problem.