TV’s Frink said:
OT Vader doesn’t ask stupid questions like that.
I wonder if it possible to edit the scene so he would just walk into the office and instantly help Palpatine by cutting Windu’s hand (just after he delivers the “you can’t” and “i need him” lines, with “he must stand trial” removed), and not sit afterwards but would rather stand and discuss with Palpatine their next move. So all the “dark side knighting” part of the scene should be removed
I’m pretty sure this is the way it’s cut here.
Not at all (I happen to have the Fall of the Jedi trilogy on my laptop so I’ve checked to be sure). Perhaps I’m not very clear in the description I’m trying to do.
Here is what I mean (I use screenshots to better explain):
(1) Windu and Palpatine fight and Palpatine seems defeated
(2) Anakin arrives
(3) Windu is about to kill Palpatine (for this scene you actually need Hal’s or L8’s edits in fact, with trimmed dialogues)
Windu: “He’s too dangerous to be kept alive”
Anakin: “You can’t”
(4) Anakin cuts Windu’s hand:
(5) Palpatine does his “unlimited power” stuff
(6) “torn apart” by his decision, Anakin sits and his saber falls (well, it is impossible to cut the sitting, and in fact it’s not that annoying)
(7) Yoda feels a massive vergence in the Force
(8) Palpatine says “rise” to Anakin (you remove all the knighting scene, “i pledge myself, etc”)
(9) as he walks away, you can put a line calling Anakin Darth Vader (there is room to do that, because no one speaks in this shot and we don’t see Palpatine lips. Added lines can be: “a powerful sith you’ll become, Darth Vader” - edit : this particular idea would not fit in Q2’s edit, because the point is to keep secrets)
(10) Palpatine is putting his new clothes and explains their next move to Anakin.
That way, you get rid of every close up on Anakin’s face where he’s crying or seems sad/upset. If I find enough time and skill I’ll try to make that edit (I’m really not sure I can do someting well polished, just thinking about it, it might not work at all).