Yep, the shield breaking is kinda sloppy. It would have been better to take down a “proxy/firewall” shield (like Ben deactivating the magnetic field in ANH) than tearing apart a “physical” shield. The shot of the destroyer falling into it is neat, but quite over the top considering in ANH Imperial Officers don’t seem that impressed by the Rebel victory over Scarif (guys, they just destroyed a couple of Star Destroyer, a planetary shield, and the Imperial Army archives have been wiped out because of them ! How is it possible that Tarkin under estimates their chances in ANH ?!?).
So, how I would have pictured it with a less obvious rewriting:
- commando team reaches the planet surface
- they get the plans
- they try to escape with the plans
- shield is closed, damned ! (their pilot was killed anyway, but still…)
- idea ! we can transmitte them
- man, there is an “anti data transmission” shield ! F*** !
- ok guys, this one can be taken down on the surface
- ok, job is done, transmite the plans !
- the dish is not aligned… come on guys for f*** sakes !
- dish aligned, good !
- damned, how come Krennic is there ?
- cool, Krennic is out, wasn’t easy with all his dark troopers but it’s cool, now push it, beam the plans !
- ABOARD REBEL AMIRAL SHIP : yeah, we get the plans, now we can leav… hum, what’s that noise ?
- FRACKING VADER WITH A RED SABER GOING BERSERK, run you fools !!!
- ok, quickly beam the plans to Leia’s ship, she’s the closest we can trust, beam several transmissions to be sure
- TANTIVE IV : Princess, we just got several transmissions. They contain the DS plans. Here is a storage card with all the data. Bad news is, there seems to be an Imperial ship going on our way…
- A NEW HOPE
So you remove the “master switch” subplot to replace it with a “destroy the anti-transmitter” action scene, and it’s done !