Missa like it. The fade in of the new track could be a little bit tweaked but it’s good.
My thoughts exactly ! Especially the scene where
Really ? Haven’t you heard that in Solo there
The only thing I don’t like of the theatrical duel is the bullet-time effect which is dated and ridiculous. We don’t need duel of the fates or battle of the heroes in every SW, the red guards is a very good action scene, Ben v Luke doesn’t need more but less. Either way, I’m very intrigued to check the final version of Ivan’s edit, everything put together might work, I don’t know, and his skills in editing are very good so at least I’m confident there won’t be real video/audio jarring issues.
Hal 9000 said:
Here’s another test with the Luke moment scene, taking feedback into account.
Best version so far. The audio transition is way better, especially the beginning. I still feel the fade out would be seamless if it was sync with the light speed sound… I wonder if removing a few frames (maybe a complete second) from Leia (with audio) could do the trick (around 0:39 and 0:40).
Good news for the kick ladder scene ! I also agree with the fact the passing remote shot is essential and should not be altered.
Well done, but I still don’t get why you would make him live since he’s going to stay dead during EpIX.
Trying to fix Ackbar death is a great idea. But introducing a “spy” subplot out of the blue that would have no conclusion in order to fix plot holes feels like digging a new hole to fill another.
This radical edit seems very ambitious but I’m pretty sure many ideas won’t work and are gonna create more plot issues than fixing the existent ones. And changing Luke’s saber from blue to green is very wrong (unless many changes I’m not aware of are going to make it seem logicial, because in the theatricul cut it does make perfect sense the saber is blue).
Since it seems he isn’t posting updates here, I can throw up links for his new videos.
Luke’s Saber Toss Fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aIxYInj0uo
It doesn’t really work. I understand it’s not finished, but the way the scene is performed by Hamill and Daisy doesn’t support this complete change. Besides, there isn’t material to create the needed dialogues, which are by the way in total contradiction with the Luke-R2 scene (which is one of the best moments of the movie, so removing it to accomodate an idea that doesn’t work would feel very strange to me).
Guys, very good mockups for the Luke moment scene ! It seems you won’t need my help at all ! (which is fine, very busy week for me and you’re better than me at this anyway 😃). The music works well and works even better that the original does (which is, if I’m not mistaken, the music from TFA when the Republic is destroyed, right ?). Only very small issue being the fade out when Leia’s shot begins. I would personnaly have tried to get to the “light speed” sound as the Leia’s shot begins, so the fade out/fade in would begin around one second sooner.
Also, I love the idea of trimming the bomb scene. I love this scene but it’s a little bit too long for no real good reason.
Oh yeah indeed, it’s 5.1. But the clip isn’t complete. It’s part another deleted sequence and part the very beginning of the Luke deleted scene.
Hal 9000 said:
Here’s the raw Luke has a Moment scene, with crappy video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wy4lF0FfcaPTv5tGvkQ8vM7SuGBb1O3C
Hum… not very complete scene 😉 Is the audio from the workprint#2 in enough good quality to work with? (edit: nah, it’s only 2.0. I guess the final export will be in 5.1, could you make an export for this part in 5.1 ?) I think that Torn Apart contains many excepts that could fit the mood and be logical to the fact Luke is mourning Han. I’ll try to mock something up this evening.
I was thinking about a motif from the first part of Torn Apart. It sounds the same albeit differently from the except used in the deleted scene.
By the way, is there a picture comparaison of DrDre LUT applied on TLJ ? (just curious to see the difference it would make)
edit: and nice cover ! Fits with the one created for TFA:R.
Hal 9000 said:
I noticed the repeat of the music for the deleted scene. So, I will attempt to rectify this. If you have any ideas, Mala, you would be a good candidate to come up with a good idea, given your other musical tweaks to the PT. Thanks in advance!
During the tree scene I think it’s impossible to change the score (because of the dialogues). Sole possibility is indeed the moment scene, assuming losing the - slight - audio effets would not be an issue (so the score would need to go back to “normal” for the Leia scene, so only a score replacement from around 0:20:57 to 0:21:14… very tricky to say the least ! a 20 seconds motif to fit the mood). Could you post (or PM) the uncompressed 5.1 audio file of this section (let’s say from 0:20:30 to 0:21:30), that way if I (or anyone else) get an idea we could work on a compliant edit version ? (with video it would be better - no need for uncompressed video)
Just to sum up the current state of the edit:
Implemented in workprint#2
- Trimmed the opening ‘prank call’ joke to prevent it from venturing into SNL territory while retaining the core of the humor
- Reinstated the ‘Luke Has a Moment’ deleted scene
- Reinstated the deleted scene where Poe gives Finn back his jacket (with scene transition provided by OT.com user pleasehello)
- At their first meeting, removed Finn telling Rose to breathe
- Removed Rose repeating, “They can track us through lightspeed.“
- Removed both appearances from the ‘Caretakers’ on Ach-to (with a visual effects shot courtesy of OT.com user snooker)
- Trimmed away the lone porg who gives Chewie the doughy eyes, though leaving the joke intact otherwise
- Removed Luke’s line to R2, “Nothing can make me change my mind.”
- Cut down the first sequence at Canto Bight to focus solely on finding the master codebreaker (also removing sounds of coins rattling around inside BB8 in two shots)
- Blended the original Anakin lightsaber ignition sound with the existing different sounds for two shots
- Made it appear as though Finn and Rose follow DJ out of the cell, briefly elude the guards, and the scene ends. Next time we see the trio, they are already in hyperspace (also removing the implication in the later scene that BB8 helped steal the ship).
- Removed Rey asking Kylo Ren is he has a cowl to put on
- Added a center wipe transition from the scene with Finn, Rose, and DJ in hyperspace to the fleet losing their medical frigate
- Used a few shots from a deleted scene to remove the iron/spaceship gag, which borrowed from an old spoof which laughed at Star Wars rather than along with Star Wars
- Trimmed some of the comedy with BB8 being placed under a basket
- Trimmed the heavy, direct hinting before Snoke’s death
- Removed the detail from Kylo Ren that Rey’s parents are buried in the Jakku desert, as this seems at odds with the vision we saw in The Force Awakens.
- Moved the scene with Luke and Yoda to immediately prior to Leia looking out over Crait (using audio and video provided by OT.com user Darthrush)
- Removed Finn’s line about the battering ram canon being “old Death Star tech.”
- The crate Luke sits on as he talks with Leia is now stationary and motionless, unaffected by him (effect provided by OT.com user poppasketti)
Removed Rey’s triple-TIE combo shot, with the Falcon’s involvement in the battle being first revealed with its shadow swee- ping by and a single TIE being shot down
- Trimmed Hux ordering fighters to follow the Falcon, leaving this poor tactical move to be attributed to Kylo Ren’s emotional priorities
- Removed Finn’s line, “Oh, they hate that ship!”
- Abbreviated Finn’s suicide run, so that the audience hasn’t had enough time to accept it and get totally on board with it (toward the end of a film that relishes jerking its audience around)
- After Rose saves Finn, removed her line about not “fighting what we hate” and “saving what we love.”
- Snuck in a Wilhelm scream… somewhere in the movie.
Changes that need to be implemented:
- Apply DrDre’s LUT to the deleted footage.
Changes considered but not decided yet:
- Sneaking in an honest “I have a bad feeling about this” would be to slip one in by 3PO (from offscreen)
- Removing Snoke berating Hux at the end of the opening battle
- Rescore the Luke deleted scene, but the music fits it much better than the tree scene and the tree scene would be very difficult to rescore (might be okay as is)
- Sir Ridley’s upcoming augmented Yoda puppetry (postponed anyway)
- Remove the useless and distracting captain obvious scene of the “we’re taking heavy loses” around 1:55:55, in order to stay with the rebel raid
Other changes that don’t have a convincing way to be implemented yet:
- Alter Luke tossing the saber (Darthruss has almost found a way to do so, the main issue being if Luke just drops it how would it be explained that the saber is a few shots later so close to the shore ?)
- Alter Maz caméo (maybe trimming it would be enough, since there is no underscore during that scene and that half of it is off-screen ?)
- Remove Poe’s “big ass door”
Things that WON’T be altered in this edit (just in case it’s a deal breaker for some folks here):
- Leia using the Force
- Luke milking some kind of female alien that was just sitting there (#MeToo)
- Luke making PT references
- The ending with the broom kid (maybe find a way to remove the ring close up, even though it fits with Holdo speech about the symbols of the resistance in the galaxy ?)
Side note: have you noticed that Hux speech “the Republic is no more”, stated as if it was a very recent event, actually fits better with TFA:R than with its theatricul cut ? (has Rian Johnson been aware of the restructed project ? 😃)
edit: on the other hand, I’m afraid that the deleted scene with Finn summing up what he missed from the previous film is problematic since he doesn’t mention the Republic being destroyed…
Hal 9000 said:
I think I’ll need to ruminate (read: hem and haw) about potentially removing Snoke berating Hux at the end of the opening battle, as Mala proposed. Not sure yet. But it might help steer clear of laughing at Star Wars rather than with it.
I’ve rewatched the opening scene of workprint#2, and this scene really feels like a TESB spoof. Glad you’ll think about removing it ! The prank call removal works well by the way, I nevertheless feel that Hux last “allo?” before Poe’s “push it” could also be removed. But I’m probably nitpicking.
One idea for sneaking in an honest “I have a bad feeling about this” would be to slip one in by 3PO (from offscreen) right before Leia tells him to wipe a nervous expression off his face
Seems cool but wouldn’t it make Leia’s joke less funny ? I would really be in favor of getting a hardcore subtitle when BB8 bips the line (or a softcore subtitle?).
(I’ll add it to a custom subtitle file anyway now that I got the joke 😃 like “it’s a Sith!” strange line in RotJ)
(edit: hum… there might not be enough frames to do so, so bad idea. My bad !)
While not strictly necessary, I noticed the repeat of music with Luke’s moment and walking out of the tree.
I’ll try to think about a score replacement; if I get an idea, I’ll let you know !
The second act is a bit long and can get a little “”“boring,”"" but only in the same sense as ESB.
Maybe removing a few more repetitive moments might help the second act passing ? I don’t remember if there is obvious “fat” that could be easily removed though. It’s slow, but it builds the famous Star Wars montage between all situations like only Lucas was able to do it. The second act might even be the more starwarsie part of the movie imho.
Payet is out for the World Cup. The guy lost a final and his place in the WC squad in one evening; bad luck always rings twice 😕
Marseille was good for about 20 minutes, and then this terrible error by Mandanda-Anguissa… and 10 minutes later, Payet injured and out. The game was lost and out of reach in only 10 minutes. That’s football ! But the fact is Marseille has never won a single game this year against a top team: not a single win against PSG, Monaco or Lyon this year national competitions. And Atletico is about this quality level (between PSG and Lyon I would say), so it was a long shot only possible with strong realism and a bit of luck. Germain got scared by Oblak and failed at scoring the first goal that would have changed the entire game, and luck was against OM, so in the end 3-0 is a fair price. Griezmann got his first major trophy, and Gameiro is now fourth time Europa League winner… just hope Benzema doesn’t get a fourth european gold medal as well this month (we don’t like Benzema in France, good player but a terrible behavior).
France is still blocked with only one C1 and one C2 (but we have plenty of useless C4… the Intertoto Cup, not the explosive)… and yet we invented C1 😄
It, as a matter of fact, makes perfect sense, especially with Leia’s line.
Hal 9000 said:
if Mala is interested in heading up subtitles I wouldn’t complain
That’s fine with me 😉 I’ll just be waiting for the very last version to be locked, since with “newcomers” watching workprint#2 there might be some new useful feedbacks (and a very good idea no one has been thinking about may as well pop up out of the blue).
That’s being said, some quick last feedback and questions :
About Canto Bright, I really think some of the balcony scene (yeah, another balcony scene ! me again with balcony scenes…) should be reinstalled, otherwise the whole affair feels way too rushed (the Ivan guy on the tube doing a radical edit of TLJ got it in a way that would fit your edit very well, you should check it to be sure about that; it would just readd something like 30/40 seconds back);
Is the Holdo/Leia “may the Force be with you” joke gonna be removed ? It felt more as a meta joke to make fun of Star Wars than anything else;
I may have missed something but wasn’t the AT-ST run around 1:43:35 considered to be removed ? (I don’t really mind it - there or not there - but I agree it’s a shot which feels off);
I still really think that Hux repeating Ren’s orders at 1:55:47 should be removed, as well as the following scene where Ren Force pushes him around 2:03:22. I mean Luke is there and is the central point of the story with Ren, so I don’t think that humor with Hux is needed there at all, it’s over the top and jarring humor at this point and Hux no longer is a character I find interesting/menacing enough to actively take part in this dramatic battle/climax;
I would be in favor of removing the useless and distracting captain obvious scene of the “we’re taking heavy loses” around 1:55:55, in order to stay with the rebel raid (it would also remove a not very subtle call back to the OT rebel sequences in a very talkative movie);
Would it be possible to keep Rose’s “dummy” after “I saved you” ?
At what point in the edit does BB8 bip “I’ve got a bad feeling about that” ? (is there a hard yellow subtitle like the ones you’ve made for the PT ?);
And since there is currently no better and not jarring solution than keeping the theatrical versions, I’m OK by default with Luke tossing the saber and the terrible Maz caméo (I really wish someone finds a way to fix or trim them !).
For what I have seen, the edit works well and can easily replace the official cut without anything giving away its “fanedit” nature, and with around 10 minutes removed and a little handful of good material added, it should get a better pace. Good work guys !
Thanks, currently getting it from reddit. Like someone else said in the reddit topic: the cutlist might not be enough (I feel I’m right about the first Hux/Snoke scene removal which is the “bad side” mirror of the prank phone call, but I won’t insist about that one 😃), but it’s a very good step in the right direction. I won’t watch it entirely, I’ll just check the new edited stuff in context.
Hal 9000 said:
Things that remain -
I still need to find a way to apply DrDre’s LUT to my footage.
There are pros and cons to using the package deal of ‘Luke has a Moment’ and ‘Finn and Poe’
Would be nice to rescore that scene, but the music fits it much better than the tree scene and the tree scene would be very difficult to rescore (might be okay as is)
Radial wipe from Poe back to the island (would be nice)
Sir Ridley’s upcoming augmented Yoda puppetry (might just be better to leave it as is)
Still wish there was a way to remove Poe’s “big ass door”
So, I guess Hux being humiliated in front of the other officers by Snoke will remain in the edit ? Darthrush posted an interesting - albeit not 100% perfect imho - take on it.
Phasma stays in the cut ? I hope she does. Not that her scenes are great, but I think they are necessary to Finn’s arc, besides her fight versus Finn looks very good and is a nice callback to TFA.
Not sure if it’s gonna be that decent. Both teams are used to play rough and Atletico knows how to defend. But I agree, if OM scores first, then it can be fun. With the violent rivalry between both Olympique (Marseille v Lyon), it’s even funnier the final takes place in Lyon stadium 😃
OM v Reds in UEFA super cup final !