Sign In

Rogue One * Spoilers * Thread — Page 12

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

Jeebus said:

It’s just a little to on-the-nose for me. I would prefer if it went something like

“This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s what I’m doing.”

I think “This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s exactly what I’m doing.” would have been better

Yeah, for sure.

i’m a girl

Author
Time

I’m probably gonna wait until the real trailer comes out.

i’m a girl

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Lord Haseo said:

Jeebus said:

It’s just a little to on-the-nose for me. I would prefer if it went something like

“This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s what I’m doing.”

I think “This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s exactly what I’m doing.” would have been better

Yeah, for sure.

But back to the overall topic at hand. You can’t gauge the quality of the script based on a line or two. Overly opinionated teenagers on youtube be damned.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

Jeebus said:

Lord Haseo said:

Jeebus said:

It’s just a little to on-the-nose for me. I would prefer if it went something like

“This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s what I’m doing.”

I think “This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s exactly what I’m doing.” would have been better

Yeah, for sure.

But back to the overall topic at hand. You can’t gauge the quality of the script based on a line or two. Overly opinionated teenagers on youtube be damned.

Correct. There are plenty of lines in a supposedly well written movie like A New Hope that seem clunky on paper but context and good delivery sold them.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

It’s just a little to on-the-nose for me. I would prefer if it went something like

“This is a rebellion, isn’t it? That’s what I’m doing.”

or something, anything else. I don’t think the delivery of the line is done very well, either.

Fair enough, but she’s not doing a “rebellion”, she Rebels, which becomes just “rebel” when you put “I” in front of it. But, yes, it is a bit Hollywood, and the dramatic trailer music makes it seem a bit too much, but I’d hardly use it to suggest a bad story/script.

Author
Time

I’m sure the movie will be fine, I just think it’s a cheesy line. A New Hope had plenty of cheesy lines, but the overall tone of the movie allowed for it because it was a cheesy movie. Rogue One is trying to pass itself off as a gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and if that’s what they’re going for, there’s no room for cheesy lines like that.

i’m a girl

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

I’m sure the movie will be fine, I just think it’s a cheesy line. A New Hope had plenty of cheesy lines, but the overall tone of the movie allowed for it because it was a cheesy movie. Rogue One is trying to pass itself off as a gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and if that’s what they’re going for, there’s no room for cheesy lines like that.

Doesn’t mean it has to be that way for the entirety of the movie. It still has to feel something like Star Wars.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

I’m sure the movie will be fine, I just think it’s a cheesy line. A New Hope had plenty of cheesy lines, but the overall tone of the movie allowed for it because it was a cheesy movie. Rogue One is trying to pass itself off as a gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and if that’s what they’re going for, there’s no room for cheesy lines like that.

The Empire Strikes Back was a pretty serious movie. It also had its fair share of cheesy lines. I hate to say this, but also see Revenge of the Sith.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m fine with the line and the poster. Then again, I don’t care about posters that much.

Author
Time

yhwx said:

Jeebus said:

I’m sure the movie will be fine, I just think it’s a cheesy line. A New Hope had plenty of cheesy lines, but the overall tone of the movie allowed for it because it was a cheesy movie. Rogue One is trying to pass itself off as a gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe, and if that’s what they’re going for, there’s no room for cheesy lines like that.

The Empire Strikes Back was a pretty serious movie. It also had its fair share of cheesy lines. I hate to say this, but also see Revenge of the Sith.

“I am not a committee!”

Author
Time

Does Bail Organa die on Alderaan in the new (non-Legends) continuity?

LOVE the Shoretroopers.

The Jedi are all but extinct.......
Author
Time

Plenty of time for him to return home before the Death Star gets there.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

And Lucasfilm seems to really be dropping the hammer on sneak videos of the trailer tonight.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjqUZN5IDQ

Star Wars Explained made a pretty neat little speculations video about the new BTS reel.
Some of the stuff he talks abut has laready been discussed here; like Bail Organa on Yavin, Jyn and Cassio going undercover as Imperials, etc.
But he also makes some interesting speculations as to Galen Erso’s role in the film and the relevance of the planet Jeddah (the sandy place where we see the tank) to the movie and the new canon.

EDIT:
Also from what I’ve read (it was also speculated in the video above) we will get too see a young Jyn Erso, implying that RO will either be the first SW movie to have a flash-back (which makes sense since it’s an anthology film) or the film will start several years prior to ANH and then cut to when Jyn is an adult.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The imperial material really seems nice, with old school sets and costumes (minus the tank, too "black hawk down"). Still not convinced at all by the look of the rebels (and their awful lines), but if Bail makes a caméo (he’s supposed to get the DS plans) it would be very cool. The character appears in (i) “Rebels”, so the guess is probably right. I sure hope the movie to be a little bit surprising and very entertaining, not too “dark and gritty” bullshit. Sure thing is that it’s not going to be easier to watch RO and ANH in a row than to watch ROTS and ANH in a row. It might even be harder (Full Metal Jacket to sci-fi fantasy…). Not really an issue for me since I don’t like TFA for its complete lack of novelty and personnality. At least RO looks different.

“I have to say that I felt George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters.” - James Cameron about Episode VII.

Author
Time

All it needs are a few moments of levity and it will flow smoothly into STAR WARS. The only other thing they could do to connect it to STAR WARS is by having 70’s style acting but I would hate that.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

The only other thing they could do to connect it to STAR WARS is by having 70’s style acting but I would hate that.

What about 70’s style haircut and british accent ?

“I have to say that I felt George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters.” - James Cameron about Episode VII.

Author
Time

What the hell is “'70s style acting”, anyway?

“I am a writer. Therefore, I am not sane.”

― Edgar Allan Poe

Author
Time
 (Edited)

MalàStrana said:

Lord Haseo said:

The only other thing they could do to connect it to STAR WARS is by having 70’s style acting but I would hate that.

What about 70’s style haircut and british accent ?

I don’t see why not. No need for half measures.

DuracellEnergizer said:

What the hell is “'70s style acting”, anyway?

This and this. I also forgot to mention there should be some 70’sish dialogue in there to.

EDIT:

There’s also the “Not this ship sister” line which is drenched in 70’s