Sign In

Ranking the Star Wars films — Page 84

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

dahmage said:

classy post. you know, people age.

In 40 years, I’d love to walk up to all the idiots that say these kinds of things, gasp and say “Damn! You look like shit! What happened? Drugs? Surgery? DAMN!

That would not work if they still looked great. Some people simply have great genes, while others have bad genes. 😃

真実

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lord Haseo said:

TK-949 said:

  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
  5. Rogue One

You might as well not put Rogue One on the list if you’re going to have such a huge gap between that and the next film lol

The topic says to rank the Star Wars films. That’s exactly what I did. Rogue One was not a total disaster, but I like it waaaaaay less than the other ones.

Author
Time

TK-949 said:

Lord Haseo said:

TK-949 said:

  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
  5. Rogue One

You might as well not put Rogue One on the list if you’re going to have such a huge gap between that and the next film lol

The topic says to rank the Star Wars films. That’s exactly what I did. Rogue One was not a total disaster, but I like it waaaaay less than the other ones.

I agree with you to some extent but there are 6 dots man. That’s a lot of dots.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

TK-949 said:

Lord Haseo said:

TK-949 said:

  1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
  5. Rogue One

You might as well not put Rogue One on the list if you’re going to have such a huge gap between that and the next film lol

The topic says to rank the Star Wars films. That’s exactly what I did. Rogue One was not a total disaster, but I like it waaaaay less than the other ones.

I agree with you to some extent but there are 6 dots man. That’s a lot of dots.

Oh, you’re right. I have to put another ‘a’ in ‘waaaaay’.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Updated (I think?) after watching RO for a second time.

1 ANH/ESB
2 ESB/ANH
3 TFA
4 RO/ROTJ
5 ROTJ/RO
6 TPM
7 ROTS
8 AOTC

Author
Time

Most recent thoughts on my ranking:

1- SW (always been my favorite)
2- RO (most like my favorite for obvious reasons)
3- ESB (Yoda, Vader, and Han/Leia romance make this film)
4- TFA (Terrific performance from Harrison, loved Daisy, John, and Oscar)
5- TCW TV series (Many are gonna give me flack on this, but I still stand by it)
6- ROTJ (Hate the pacing still but the Vader/Luke scenes are gold for me)
7- Revels TV series (Like the OT focus and TCW connections, not a fan of the animation style)
8- TPM (Visually the most like the OT, so bad it’s good dialogue, Liam Neeson, DOTF music)
9/10- ROTS/AOTC (ROTS is WAY too much CG and too violent but some compelling scenes, AOTC is technically the worst movie and the ugliest one but has some more “so bad it’s good” dialogue than ROTS)

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Updated (I think?) after watching RO for a second time.

1 ANH/ESB
2 ESB/ANH
3 TFA
4 RO/ROTJ
5 ROTJ/RO
6 TPM
7 ROTS
8 AOTC

I’m almost completely on board with this, the only difference being that I’ve come to think ROTS is worse than AOTC.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

TV’s Frink said:

Updated (I think?) after watching RO for a second time.

1 ANH/ESB
2 ESB/ANH
3 TFA
4 RO/ROTJ
5 ROTJ/RO
6 TPM
7 ROTS
8 AOTC

I’m almost completely on board with this, the only difference being that I’ve come to think ROTS is worse than AOTC.

I get saying ROTS is worse than TPM, but worse than AOTC??

Author
Time

I can see it from the perspective of the stakes were higher with ROTS (being the end of the trilogy) so it’s more of a letdown, but at gunpoint I’d still choose ROTS to watch…I guess.

Author
Time

emanswfan said:

Most recent thoughts on my ranking:

1- SW (always been my favorite)
2- RO (most like my favorite for obvious reasons)

Rogue One would probably make my top 3 simply because of its unique tone but for the final scene. The movie prides itself on being a more grounded and realistic take on the Star Wars universe, but the discontinuity of the Tantive being at the Scarif battle, the plans being carried onto the ship instead of being beamed from afar, and the fact that the rebels knew that Vader had seen them escape makes the entire exercise ring hollow for me. In a more ‘delightful’ movie such as TFA this sort of continuity issue wouldn’t be as big a deal, but here it really ruins the film. I’ve described it like a runner tripping at the finish line and breaking their nose two inches from the ribbon.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I get saying ROTS is worse than TPM, but worse than AOTC??

ROTS has everything I dislike about the other two, but more of it. Awful, awkward interactions between Anakin and Padme? Check. Yoda flipping around like a jackass and overdoing it with the backwards talk? Check. Comedy battle droids? Check. Major plot info delivered in scenes where two characters are just standing in a room doing nothing? Check. Add to that how badly they flubbed the Jedi purge and how thoroughly ridiculous Palpatine became in the second half, and I think you’ve got a solid case for it being the worst. It’s peak PT. All of Lucas’s worst impulses were firing on all cylinders.

Also, I kind of like the set piece with the creatures in the arena in AOTC, at least until the Jedi show up. I can’t come up with anything I can say that about in ROTS.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

the plans being carried onto the ship instead of being beamed from afar

They were beamed aboard the flagship and then carried onto the Tantive. Maybe a bit of a stretch but there were similar stretches in the OT.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

NeverarGreat said:

the plans being carried onto the ship instead of being beamed from afar

They were beamed aboard the flagship and then carried onto the Tantive. Maybe a bit of a stretch but there were similar stretches in the OT.

And that’s why I said that it wouldn’t be a problem in the OT or ST. Their genre is much more action/adventure where these sort of issues are brushed aside, but RO is more of a serious war movie. Even considering this, just one of these issues in isolation is forgivable, but three all together compounds the issue into something quite unforgivable, at least for me.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

joefavs said:

DominicCobb said:

I get saying ROTS is worse than TPM, but worse than AOTC??

ROTS has everything I dislike about the other two, but more of it. Awful, awkward interactions between Anakin and Padme? Check. Yoda flipping around like a jackass and overdoing it with the backwards talk? Check. Comedy battle droids? Check. Major plot info delivered in scenes where two characters are just standing in a room doing nothing? Check. Add to that how badly they flubbed the Jedi purge and how thoroughly ridiculous Palpatine became in the second half, and I think you’ve got a solid case for it being the worst. It’s peak PT. All of Lucas’s worst impulses were firing on all cylinders.

Also, I kind of like the set piece with the creatures in the arena in AOTC, at least until the Jedi show up. I can’t come up with anything I can say that about in ROTS.

Fair enough. I can see where you’re coming from.

I’d personally argue that the awkward interactions between Anakin and Padme are far more prominent in AOTC to the point where they overwhelm a significant portion of the film. I’d also say that whiny Anakin is much more of an issue in AOTC, and he seems much more like friends with Obi-Wan in ROTS. I’d also say that while both have way too much CGI, it at least looks a lot better in ROTS. And I also think for the most part the action and drama is far more engaging in ROTS than AOTC (and the pacing is much better).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NeverarGreat said:

emanswfan said:

Most recent thoughts on my ranking:

1- SW (always been my favorite)
2- RO (most like my favorite for obvious reasons)

Rogue One would probably make my top 3 simply because of its unique tone but for the final scene. The movie prides itself on being a more grounded and realistic take on the Star Wars universe, but the discontinuity of the Tantive being at the Scarif battle, the plans being carried onto the ship instead of being beamed from afar, and the fact that the rebels knew that Vader had seen them escape makes the entire exercise ring hollow for me. In a more ‘delightful’ movie such as TFA this sort of continuity issue wouldn’t be as big a deal, but here it really ruins the film. I’ve described it like a runner tripping at the finish line and breaking their nose two inches from the ribbon.

It’s funny because I don’t even mind that. First of all, it’s discontinuity with another movie, so by itself it’s not like the ending doesn’t make sense, only after the fact. Second of all, I’m not even sure it’s discontinuity. Sure, it’s definitely not the way most would have assumed things would go down, but if you think about it, so long as Vader just assumes the plans were beamed to the Tantive rather than Raddus’s ship (and the fact that he didn’t force grab the plans would imply he indeed wasn’t aware) then there’s no real continuity problem at all.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

TV’s Frink said:

NeverarGreat said:

the plans being carried onto the ship instead of being beamed from afar

They were beamed aboard the flagship and then carried onto the Tantive. Maybe a bit of a stretch but there were similar stretches in the OT.

And that’s why I said that it wouldn’t be a problem in the OT or ST. Their genre is much more action/adventure where these sort of issues are brushed aside, but RO is more of a serious war movie.

To me it’s still Star Wars so I don’t hold it to a higher standard.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

imperialscum said:

  1. OT
  2. R1
  3. PT
  4. TFA

You literally posted the exact same thing two weeks ago.

Just like Mala and Alderaan, that he dislikes a movie isn’t enough; he doesn’t want anyone else to like it either. So like the petulant man-child he is (and they are), he has to keep coming back, rubbing his dislike in our faces until we get with his program.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s the thing they all either keep not understanding or keep ignoring. We don’t care if they don’t like the movies. They’re welcome to dislike them and continue to discuss why they don’t like them. It’s the constant simple “it sucks” posts that are repeated over and over that are tiring.

Hell, Alderaan posted a compliment about the art direction on Rogue One, which is perfectly fine. If he had said he didn’t like the art direction, that would have been fine. But in either case, he can’t just say that, he has to add something about how the movie is shit. Every. Single. Time.

I’m not sure if it’s trolling or sickness.