It immediately stops the devastating impact of Rey’s loss and separation from Ben. Emotional reversals. Sometimes things are bittersweet.
- Some have complained that the Palpatine reveal in TROS would have been better if it were kept a secret and not revealed until during the action of the film itself. This edit seems to almost do the opposite. But at the same time it’s also sorta neat to have a subtle and obscure hint at Palpatine’s existence.
Subtle hints are best like when people rewatched Fight Club and thought how did I miss that. But using Palpatine’s voice in TJL goes too far imo. My edit of TROS will not have any Palpatine reveals in the crawl or in the beginning of the movie either. Poe won’t even mention him in his intel briefing. In any case, Poppasketti’s releases are always excellent, but for me I’m fine with the current finished version of Rekindled as I want to handle TROS differently and open with Kylo destroying Corellia, rather than visting Palpatine right away in his strobe light Halloween house.
On it’s own adding force ghost Ben with Luke and Leia is nice. BUUUUT with all the reverses: Chewie is dead, just kidding. C3P0 lost his memory, just kidding. Kylo got stabbed, just kidding. Ben fell down a pit, just kidding. Rey died, just kidding. Ben died for real… oh now he’s a force ghost. FML.
The Whispers and Hood (V4) looks fantastic! I’m non-plussed in general about retconning anything for TROS but this is really perfect.
Make two Emperor Palpatines in TROS because he cloned himself. Now they cackle together in full dolby surround sound.
I feel you
Hal 9000 said:
I’m not going back to TLJ, and am not interested in substantial alterations to suit this movie.
The feeling is mutual. Why retcon TLJ because of a faulty storyline. Fix the story first, then see if a retcon is really necessary.
One of the main issues with TROS was the non starwarsy beginning: a music video of Kylo on Mustafar leading to the jolting scenes with the Emperor. The beginning needs breathing room and coherence. This can be fixed.
Ha ha! So that’s what porgs become. We should keep Klaud then and have him be the minister at Finn and Poe’s wedding. To give JJ the ending he wanted.
Same with Billie Lourd.
Billie should stay because to me she’s royalty (and provides continuity). Klaud isn’t so funny since he’s really a repackaged Porg. I was fine with the Porgs in poppasketti’s version of TLJ (the best version of TLJ imo). But Klaud is too distracting much like the monkey elf who welds things…
Yes combining fan edits is a common practice and encouraged, even better if you have a little flair of your own to add in as well.
Yeah 4D V3 is nice!
Anakin Starkiller said:
The biggest difference between the PT and the ST is how much is borrowed from the OT. To make them feel consistent, we would have to make it consistent how much they borrow from the OT. That means make the PT closer to the OT while distancing the ST from it. Any thoughts on how to do that?
For the slight update to Option 4D v2 there really seems to be a lot of of cuts back to the radio. It’s almost as if the radio is becoming a new character. I do like the ambiguity as to whether or not it’s a radio broadcast we’re hearing.
Hal 9000 said:
It’s not worlds themselves, sir, it’s their… people.
I think just saying “countless [disparate] worlds” implies organized political actions rather than what the ‘civilian army’ we see at the end.
Star Wars crawls are fun when the grammar is treacherous. I like writing formally and with an archaic flourish when at all appropriate.
Hal for my own personal edit I would like to use this crawl or a variation as long as you don’t mind me using some of your ideas:
The legend of LUKE SKYWALKER has sparked A NEW HOPE across the galaxy. Countless planetary systems now rise up in defiance of the diabolical FIRST ORDER.
REY, the last chance for the survival of the Jedi, seeks to commune with heroes of the past, while Supreme Leader KYLO REN prepares to destroy the planet CORELLIA and with it all memories of his father.
Meanwhile THE RESISTANCE dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, desperate to end this long war…
The Horror said:
I suggest putting a clone of Luke in a tank on Exogol. That would imply the Luke we saw in TLJ was actually a deranged clone - maybe Luuke from the Thrawn Trilogy survived and tried to train some Jedi.
That’s hilarious and I kind of actually like the idea but would prefer it to be a clone of Palpatine. That way no gravitas is taken away from Snoke while explaining how Palpatine is still annoying the Galaxy.
Anything to lessen or remove the lightspeed skipping would be a plus. It’s the most patently absurd part of the movie, and that’s saying something.
Agree. But only because Poe keeps doing it over and over. Does he want to die? One skip should be enough to lose the tie fighters who will all kill themselves if they attempt the ill advised stunt. Plus there’s that ridiculous talking tree alien in the last skip who should be cut anyway.
Great follow up on his characterisation from TLJ, just wonder how you’re going to implement it.
Having Kylo Ren destroy the planet (now repurposed as Corellia) at the beginning to “let the past die” will be challenging but possible. It will require moving the First Order’s use of the superweapon to the very beginning. The result of the First Order board meeting (where Kylo forces the guy onto the ceiling) would then be to destroy Corellia. The tough part is it’s definitely going to require some dialogue changes.
I considered cutting use of the superweapon altogether since it was so unnecessary. But now making it Kylo trying to destroy his own demons gives it a real dramatic purpose and makes him even darker.
Thanks for your feedback and please keep it coming as we go.
Below is a teaser of my planned fanedit of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Epic Cut) for release after the blu ray drops….
The goal of this project is to let TROS breathe, just breathe. And to tone down SASSY-PANTS FINN.
If you want to check out other work of mine see the Hannibal Rising Epic cut elsewhere on this site.
V1 Changes (in chronological-ish order): SPOILERS!
- Update opening crawl (no more Sith broadcast):
Hope spreads across the galaxy. Whispers of Luke Skywalker echo through every system as countless inhabitants rise up against the FIRST ORDER.
General Leia Organa, sensing a sinister force on a hidden SITH WORLD, dispatches spies of THE RESISTANCE only to discover the First Order has acquired a powerful new weapon.
Meanwhile Supreme Leader KYLO REN has ordered the evacuation of the last garrison from Han Solo’s home world, CORELLIA, spiraling the planet into civil war…
- Cut / move the early Exegol/Emperor sequence for later
- Kylo Ren blows up Han Solo’s homeworld of Corellia in one of the opening scenes to try and let the past die (but he really just keeps living in the past doesn’t he!)
- Now it’s Corellia blowing up which also disrupts Rey’s Jedi practice training.
- Cut Klaud (the tree monster alien) from the Falcon and from existence.
- Move the lighthearted Falcon moments, e.g., playing with Chewie, to a later scene (just before visiting Pasaana.)
- Drastically reduce Boolio and change his off-putting voice to an alien voice, subtitled.
- Trim Finn on the Falcon making a sassy-pants face in the gunner seat. He really needs a derpfake to look like old Finn (his new eyebrows are a NO!)
- Cut all or trim some of the lightspeed skipping.
- Cut Rey light-sabering a ribbon on the obstacle course.
- Cut Finn’s sassy-pants line “always” when answering Rey’s question about Poe in a bad mood.
- Cut Finn’s sassy-pants huffing and eye roll in same scene.
- … [MORE TO COME. THIS IS JUST A TEASER AND OPEN TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON THE STATE OF THE 5.1 AUDIO AND DELETED SCENES]
Ok, here’s a pass of a less subtle hood appearance as the two shadows merge.
I used a shot from ROTJ to get the motion, but I wonder if this is a little too explicit. To me, it’s obviously Palpatine, and I wonder if I should dial it back.
It looks good. Not obviously Palpatine. Could be anyone in a robe. Just needs a little tweaking to smooth the transition at the end a bit.
RogueLeader, I actually had the same thought about the radio! It doesn’t quite make sense. I think I started down that path thinking it would be Palp’s broadcast, but liked DZ-330’s calling out to Kylo. It’s too early for the broadcast, and I really like the ideas being discussed by Hal and others about its placement in TROS…
As well done as this scene is we can’t get past that the Emperor, master of the dark side, is basically phoning home Elliot on a speak n spell. TROS crawl referencing a broadcast was also laughable. That’s why it belongs on fortnite because the broadcast idea kind of sucks. Just blowing up a planet is the best kind of broadcast.
HANNIBAL RISING – EPIC CUT
Hannibal Rising (Epic Cut) v1 is a fanedit based on the unrated version of the film, keeping the best of its extended footage to maintain the atmosphere of an epic story. The main goal of this edit is to rescue these characters (and us) from drowning in a sea of expository dialogue and unnecessary flashbacks. THERE IS A GREAT FILM UNDERNEATH. The secondary goal is to trim overacting, tighten up some action, and make the story more believable. Original unrated length: 2h 10m. Edited length: 2h 2m. V1 is released in good 720p quality in AAC stereo (2.74 GB).
PM me for file link. By requesting the file link you acknowledge and agree that you own the Bluray Disc version or online HD version of Hannibal Rising Unrated and will not share the link with any third party.
Description of edits in chronological order (WARNING!!! SPOILERS BELOW):
- Cut the opening title, replacing it with a new one as the children play.
- Cut the father’s on the nose line during the evacuation of the Lecter castle, “the cart is packed, everything is ready.” Cut the mother’s obvious drawn-out decision to leave the letters in the bedroom drawer. Now she quickly leaves, and the father appears more in charge of things.
- Cut the father’s odd statement to his children during the wagon ride, giving them what amounts to an adult military briefing. It’s obvious the bombs exploding nearby warrant immediate evacuation.
- Cut the mother’s “pearls before swine” line. She’s acting bizarre and literally explaining the symbolism in front of our eyes.
- Cut Grutas’ sniffing the peasant and his line “are you a gypsy” so we see less of henchman Dortlich’s distracting toothy grin to show us how bad he is.
- Cut the brief unrated version scene of the father casually pretend hunting in the forest with young Hannibal near a warzone. The main purpose of this scene was to establish lack of food which is better established in other scenes.
- Cut father’s line “what’s that?” when the Russian tanks storm the lodge. He doesn’t sound brave at all or even competent.
- Cut Grutas’ filler line during the execution of the SS Major: “and now I am in business for myself.” Now Grutas says “and now” followed by the gunshot to the SS Major’s head.
- Cut some of Dortlich’s extended harassment of young Hannibal and Mischa when Grutas’ gang takes over the lodge. Yes we know they’re bad.
- Cut Grutas’ over the top eating of the bird added in the unrated cut.
- Cut the gang hungrily leering at the children, suggesting too early they were in true danger of being eaten. Now Act 1 ends with the more subtle burning of Mischa’s photograph to keep warm.
- Cut the orphanage headmaster’s lines about Hannibal not respecting the human pecking order and hurting the bullies. It’s absurd expository dialogue that no one would actually say.
- Cut the “who’s there” line by the house guard to Hannibal as he arrives unannounced at Lady Murasaki’s estate in France. Trimmed amount of time Lady Murasaki stares out the window.
- Cut much of Hannibal’s bedtime nightmare sequence at the estate to reduce overuse of flashbacks. Kept enough flashback so his bloody lip makes sense but now someone who cares about him will wake him up quickly.
- Cut the flashback when Hannibal slices his thumb while trimming the plant. We need less early hints of Mischa’s exact fate.
- Cut the sexually playful sword fighting lessons. Hannibal becoming Lady Murasaki’s martial arts student seems comically out of place. It’s already clear from the orphanage that Hannibal knows how to use sharp things to hurt people.
- Cut the expository definition of Vichy given by the police officer interviewing Hannibal and Lady Murasaki after fighting the butcher. For those of us who don’t know Vichy were Nazi collaborators, this can be inferred later through context clues.
- Cut police officer’s lines about Hannibal becoming a doctor and being careful with his hands. This just comes across as a clumsy set up so we have an early hint Hannibal will go to medical school. Hannibal actually uses some medical terminology during the butcher execution but it’s hard to understand his French accent there. Anyway, we already know from all the other Hannibal films that he becomes a doctor.
- Moved Lady Murasaki’s line “Hannibal needs peace” to offscreen voiceover as Hannibal is inspecting a Samurai sword.
- Cut Hannibal’s line “the butcher” as he confronts the butcher. This is to avoid over-introducing the very memorable butcher character from a prior scene as if we forgot who he was.
- Cut Hannibal’s line during the execution of the butcher “do you see how your mouth stains the air?” Also cut Hannibal holding up the bad drawing that then receives improbable blood spray. The result is a tighter, more believable scene.
- Cut the inspector’s VO line to the driver “wait for me” as he arrives at the coroner. No need to establish it’s the inspector. We can see that it’s him when he walks inside.
- Cut the cook’s shoehorned culinary lesson to Hannibal about fish cheeks. Unnecessary expository.
- Cut inspector’s line “It’s monstrous” when reading Hannibal’s polygraph tape. It’s a bit early for him to come to that conclusion.
- Cut before Lady Murasaki removes her motorcycle helmet in a painfully obvious reveal. We can pretty much guess with certainty it was her dropping off the butcher’s head to help cover up Hannibal’s involvement in the murder.
- Cut the flashback of Mischa when Hannibal and Lady Murasaki view the artwork of the sacrifice of Isaac. When Hannibal simply says “not always” in response to her line “but the angel intervenes in time” we know he’s referring to Mischa.
- Cut part of Lady Murasaki’s line about memories being a knife that can hurt you. We know knives hurt.
- Cut small portions of Hannibal’s sodium pentothal flashback showing Mischa to be killed with a weapon. Cut the young Hannibal rescued in the snow portion of the flashback and moved to a later scene (the deposition).
- Cut Dortlich’s line “the lodge” to avoid obviously narrating Hannibal’s arrival at the lodge.
- Moved Dortlich using binoculars to an earlier part of the scene to show him watching Hannibal pulling away debris with the horse, clearing out the ruined lodge. Cut him putting down the binoculars and his smile. It’s more foreboding that Dortlich sees this rather than the jewelry because later the same horse will clear him away.
- Cut binocular view of Hannibal in the ruined lodge holding his mother’s jewelry high up for all to see. We already know Dortlich is greedy, and it’s not believable for him to see this through binoculars given the conditions. Dortlich’s primary motivation here is to find out and stop whatever Hannibal is up to, not to rob him.
- Cut Hannibal’s overacted primal scowl after he subdues Dortlich at the ruined lodge.
- Cut Hannibal’s line “Mischa” when burying the child’s skull and teddy bear. We know who he’s burying.
- Cut the flash to Grutas’ face during Dortlich’s rope interrogation. We know who he is.
- Cut the investigating officer’s lines advising that Hannibal picked mushrooms and made a brochette with Dortlich’s missing cheeks. Now we just see the officer digging up burnt mushrooms knowing he’s probably smart enough to put two and two together.
- Cut Lady Murasaki’s line “you smell of smoke and blood” when Hannibal returns to France. She’s not a bloodhound or a walking bad fortune cookie.
- Cut flashback to Mischa’s bracelet when we see it on the henchman’s little girl at the restaurant. Hannibal says soon enough where he recognizes it from.
- Cut some of the short henchman’s not so subtle spy camera photos of Lady Murasaki walking in public. We know you’re little buddy but people can still see you.
- Added full flashback scene of young Hannibal rescued in the snow to the end of Hannibal’s deposition.
- Cut the inspector’s egregious commentary to his bored looking colleague after Hannibal’s deposition. The inspector provided exposition about how Hannibal is an insane monster whose heart died with Mischa and one day doctors will study him.
- Cut Hannibal’s comical splashing of a flammable liquid from a bottle into Grutas’ bathtub. Moved scene progression around so he just aggressively shakes and pours it. Now the scene is tighter and more serious.
- Cut Grutas’ extra gross line about Lady Murasaki’s asshole and his line “take her away.” Both sounded like a bad comic book villain.
- Cut Grutas’ line to his henchman during the move of the captive women-- something along the lines of don’t bite the women bite their buyer’s gold… Good advice (the not biting part) but bad dialogue.
- Cut an added unrated version scene where Grutas licks the captive Lady Murasaki’s face. He licks it in a later scene. This scene was just practice footage really and should not have ever been included.
- Cut Grutas’ bad filler VO to the captive Lady Murasaki about Hannibal eating cheeks. Silence works better here.
- Cut Grutas’ part of a line referring to Hannibal’s balls as a “velvet bag.”
- Reduced Hannibal’s reaction time with the broken sword.
- Cut Hannibal’s anguished, over-the-top scream to the heavens and some of him hissing before he slices up Grutas’ chest. Now his reaction to learning he was fed his sister in a broth is more immediate and instinctive.
- Cut Hannibal explaining the obvious: that the letter M carved into Grutas’ chest is “M for Mischa.”
- Reduced Lady Murasaki’s reaction time to stab the captain and the captain slowly slumping, and cut waiting for him to bleed out.