thanks sgroov will keep everyone posted.
Digmod, no I don’t really want to make a blood free edition. Deleting the blood FX is easy but the part I don’t want to do is double rendering and encoding.
Thanks for the encouragement CMMAP. While I haven’t watched any of the Batman film fanedits, based on their change lists some editors go too heavy on the cutting for my preference. The deepfake is just a thought. Based on current technology editors now can create high resolution footage of just the deep fake face and then track that into the original 4K footage. There is a scene where the Joker touches her face though so that could be problematic.
Batman Begins, with its varying quality of footage, requires different approaches and techniques for the color correction. I would want to regrade the sequels if I work on them as well. But their footage and coloring is much less problematic.
4K releases should always be in H265. You won’t find any smoothing on my H265 4K releases with the command line used. Typically I’ll release in AC3 5.1 channel 640 kbps. The scenes I’m adding will all be properly done in 5.1 with LFE.
Thanks. The edit is about 3/4 of the way finished. I probably will do the trilogy, if so they would be named:
The Dark Knight: Retribution
The Dark Knight: Redemption
The Dark Knight: Resurrection
I would potentially explore deep faking Katie Holmes into pt 2.
The Dark Knight: Retribution
(an “R-rated” Batman Begins fan edit)
This is a work in progress (not yet released).
This edit uses some major ideas from JMB’s fan edit, Batman Begins: The Dark Cut. Thanks go out to JMB for his innovative ideas. Unfortunately his release is only available in DVD (SD) quality.
The Dark Knight: Retribution in 4K regrades the film into a darker, bleaker, more violent and stylized version.
*changes with an asterisk are concepts derived from JMB’s change list
- Complete color regrade to remove the “90’s courtroom drama” yellow tint and update the look into a more modern, gritty comic book style movie.
- Changed title of movie to The Dark Knight: Retribution.
- Altered Batman’s voice so it is pitched down and modulated, similar to what Batfleck did, but not as extreme.
- Lowered adult Bruce Wayne’s voice to a deeper tone so he sounds tougher.
- *Slightly lowered Rachael’s voice so she sounds like an adult. The change here is probably not as strong as JMB’s.
- Batman is more in shadows and doesn’t have conversations in the light.
- Batman’s utility belt is darkened rather than gold. He’s a ninja and acts like one.
- The tumbler voice now has AI capabilities. Created new dialogue in various scenes.
- Created a new introduction sequence narrated in voiceover by fake Ra’s. It depicts the city of Gotham, its excesses and its inequities as he remarks that, like Rome, it needs to die. This is a more subtle way to inform the viewer, rather than Bruce, that Gotham is a target. Fake Ra’s does not give this part of the monologue later to Bruce.
- Removed young Bruce and Rachael chasing each other and instead cut right to where young Bruce is already trapped in the cave.
- Tightened up the prison fight sequence. Now Bruce curses at his attacker instead of saying “you’re practice” because at this point in his life he had no brilliant master plan.
- Ra’s face is in shadows when he visits Bruce in prison.
- When Bruce catches his foot, replaced the shot of Ra’s dastardly posing.
- Cut the V.O. dialogue about calling an ambulance for young Bruce and setting his broken leg.
- Cut some of the V.O. as they carry young Bruce inside the mansion.
- Young Bruce in bed doesn’t ask, “Afraid of me?” And he’s not tickled.
- Cut all the exposition by Bruce’s father (Thomas Wayne) on the train.
- At the opera, added sfx and vfx to more strongly convey young Bruce’s sense of fear.
- Trimmed up the Wayne family exiting the opera.
- Trimmed Thomas Wayne’s death. He is now silent.
- In the alleyway it rains blood on young Bruce as he sits there with his murdered parents.
- Gordon doesn’t repeatedly tell young Bruce “it’s ok” after his ordeal.
- Cut Earle’s expository to young Bruce before the funeral about watching the Empire. He just walks by, ignoring him.
- *Young Bruce doesn’t wave back to Rachael.
- Cut away from Bruce’s pouty face when he tells Ra’s “you didn’t know my father.”
- Establishing shot of Gotham (before the court hearing scene) is now gray and rainy instead of bright and uplifting.
- Added heroin addicts when Rachael shows Bruce how bad Gotham has become.
- Cut Falcone saying bang, his stammering, reference to Alfred, telling Bruce you fear what you don’t understand, and repeating himself for effect.
- Cut Falcone’s prolonged smirking before he taunts Bruce.
- After Falcone claims Thomas Wayne begged like a dog, cut the barking dog sound effect. Really?
- Falcone doesn’t look around the restaurant weirdly when he’s done talking.
- The bum doesn’t speak when Bruce is thrown out of the restaurant.
- Eliminated the expository banter between Bruce and the bum, and the cringy setup for him to appear later.
- During Bruce’s league of shadows initiation after he refuses to execute the prisoner and says, “where would I be leading these men” fake Ra’s does not answer “Gotham” and then rant about destroying it. Instead Bruce’s question is rhetorical, meaning that leading men to kill is wrong. Reconstructed the dialogue of the scene so no mention is made in this scene of the master plan to destroy Gotham.
- When Bruce tosses the burning embers in the temple with his sword, Ra’s does not ask “what are you doing” and Bruce does not respond.
- Trimmed Ra’s reaction to the initial, small temple explosion.
- Reduced fake Ra’s comical facial expressions throughout his fight with Bruce.
- When Bruce takes the unconscious Ra’s to a healer, cut the healer’s line about making sure Ra’s knows that Bruce saved him.
- No chummy insta-reunion outside the jet between Alfred and Bruce with bad jokes. Saved the lightheartedness for the end of the scene inside the jet.
- When Dr. Crane says he doesn’t want to know about Rachael’s fate, Falcone doesn’t respond “yes you do.” Crane has the upper hand here.
- Lucius gives less backstory to Bruce during the tour of the prototype gadgets.
- Added an establishing shot of a prostitute walking before we see Gordon in the car waiting for his corrupt partner, Flass.
- Bruce electronically alters his voice when questioning Gordon.
- When Gordon asks masked Bruce, “you’re just one man?” now there is no response.
- Masked Bruce does not make a goofy pained face after jumping off the police rooftop.
- As Flass arrives at the docks, added some ghetto ambience sfx.
- At the docks, added a scream when Batman grabs the first henchman.
- Sped up Batman descending onto the two henchmen.
- Cut portions of the skittish henchman so he’s not such a wimp and doesn’t ask “where are you?” Batman doesn’t whisper to him, and now the guy yells, “Fuuuck!”
- Falcone, alone in the car, doesn’t ask, “who are you?”
- Sped up Batman grabbing Falcone out of the car. Batman is now silent and menacing. His fists do the talking.
- Cut Falcone going unconscious, and now he screams as he gets a good, slightly extended beat down.
- Added aerial shot of leaving the dock area as Falcone screams. Dissolved this into Rachael’s subway train establishing shot.
- Removed the bum showing up again still wearing the coat.
- Getting hit by Rachael’s purse now makes a thunk.
- Added some subtle squishing sound and blood spurt when Batman beats down Rachael’s would-be attacker in the background.
- In the subway station, talking to Rachael, Batman is in the shadows.
- Falcone doesn’t move around while strapped to the spotlight to assure us he’s still alive. His face is now bloody and bruised.
- The corporate weenie narrating the story of the missing weapon is more to the point and less annoying.
- Added establishing shot of an upscale yet seedy gentlemen’s club before Bruce pulls up in the sports car. Even wealthy Gotham needs to be dirtier and gross.
- Cut Gordon’s baby. He’s too old for that.
- Replaced Flass’ girlish scream when he’s hoisted up by the bat cable.
- Batman doesn’t yo-yo Flass to scare him. Instead Batman is more intimidating. Also, a little less of Batman’s face while interrogating.
- Batman doesn’t ask Flass, “Do I look like a cop?”
- After Flass spills the beans, Batman doesn’t gently lower him to the ground. He dumps him hard.
- Added subtle blood spurt when Flass hits the pavement.
- Cut the annoying kid in the alleyway.
- Added blood/brain spray when the D.A. is shot in the head.
- Crane’s henchman unzips but is not already urinating when Batman knocks him out.
- A little less flailing and scared faces after Batman is sprayed with the toxin, and a little less Scarecrow talking.
- After Batman jumps out of the window on fire, he does not stumble as much.
- Slowed down some of the rooftop hallucination flashback with added SFX.
- Cut Alfred driving Batman, injured.
- When Bruce wakes up, cut a few of Alfred’s filler lines.
- Bruce isn’t a confused idiot when Lucius talks about science.
- Blued the sky for an establishing shot of Wayne Mansion so it’s not always the same overcast shot.
- When Rachael drops off the birthday present cut the expository lines explaining it’s Bruce’s birthday.
- Cut Rachael telling Bruce, “Some of us have work to do.”
- Rachael does not linger lovingly, staring at Bruce so that now Bruce does not smile back like Sling Blade.
- Lucius doesn’t get into too much expository detail with Earle about the use of the weapon. Now his line “isn’t that illegal” carries more weight and better suggests he did not work on the project.
- Cut Earle’s line in the lab, “didn’t you get the memo?”
- Made it later in the evening for the the city establishing shots before we see Falcone in the asylum.
- Scarecrow doesn’t explain to his henchmen why the police should be called.
- Cut Scarecrow’s henchmen talking about Batman flying and disappearing.
- Cut Batman throwing the bomb in the asylum and the two inmates’ goofy reaction.
- Cut Gordon’s line when he sees the Batmobile, “I gotta get me one of those.”
- Batman does not immediately run over a police car for no reason.
- Cut the word tank from the officer’s description of the vehicle.
- No rooftop driving.
- Cut the end of the cop on the radio with the joke asking what the Batmobile looks like. Interrupted by the Batmobile.
- Batman does not lay down to drive or fire weapons in the Batmobile.
- Batman does not manually deploy the mines from the rear of the Batmobile. The tumbler says “Targets detected. Deploying countermeasures.”
- Cut the guy’s line to Gordon about the chemical in the water supply having to be absorbed by the lungs.
- Gordon doesn’t ask Dr. Crane how he was going to get his toxin into the air.
- Cut Ra’s lines to Bruce explaining that Dr. Crane didn’t know the full evil plot. Myu-haha.
- *Cut the storyline about Ra’s previous economic attack on Gotham.
- Cut a bunch of Ra’s hokey lines in the Wayne mansion.
- Cut Alfred knocking a guy out and the joke about the fire brigade.
- Cut Rachael telling the cop to let her pass.
- Cut Gordon’s remark to Rachael when she gives him the antidote— about the toxin being airborne.
- Rachel does not stumble across Ra’s as he starts the machine to evaporate the water.
- When Batman flies down to confront Ra’s gassing Gotham, he interrupts Ra’s smart assed comment about taking theatricality literally.
- Cut Ra’s saying he has a city to destroy and Batman’s comment about beating two of his pawns.
Ra’s is not lifted up by a cable. So dorky.
- *Gordon does not drive the Batmobile. Instead it goes into autopilot mode. So no hitting parked cars.
- Cut all instances of the water guy explaining the whole system is “gonna blow” and then being utterly relieved when it doesn’t.
- The Batmobile says a few new things, including to the dreadlock guy, “Sir, please step away from the vehicle.”
- Cut Batman telling Ra’s “But I don’t have to save you.
- *The Batmobile, not Gordon, targets the bridge. So the shooting is now accurate.
- Cut Gordon saying “I never said thank you” and Batman’s response.
Jimmy Chips said:
There were some weird jump cuts when the trooper is shot with an arrow and Finn being force pushed. Some audio popping when Luke says you went straight to the dark and when Snapp dies. I think the “you sent down there ship” is a little clunky. The “you wanted your parents dead” and ship destruction footage is enough to show the audience what happened.
Jimmy thanks for the feedback. If I do another update, I’ll take a look at the issues you mentioned.
I’m a huge fan of what Adywan has done. I believe he is upscaling his 720p release to 1080p. I’m working in 4K and for me, personally, an upscaled 720 is not high enough quality. I prefer a minimum of source 1080p. I’d incorporate such 720 source material very sparingly. Also sorry for the slowed progress but I took a short break from ANH to focus on a different fanedit project I’ll be releasing in the coming weeks or so. If you are a fan of Batman Begins the Dark Cut and wanted something similar done in 4K, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Reinstalled the “civil fleet arrival” audio!?
A fanedit of a fanedit to undo one of the best parts of the fanedit!
I guess I should have been prepared for this, after all I have witnessed people blasphemously pick all the pepperoni off a slice of pizza and then eat “cheese pizza.”
I’ve found this edit which changes the color of Rey’s robes; it fits in better with her struggle with the dark side. What do you think, Hal? Do you plan on doing a similar edit/change?
I just checked out dozens of clips of that edit (https://www.youtube.com/c/FixingDisneyStarWars/videos) on youtube it’s mostly not my cup of tea with inserted dialogue that does not sound at all like the actor speaking. There are a few interesting clips though like Rey’s black clothing in TROS and showing her holding the broken saber with Leia in TLJ. And for a “Rey Killed Her Parents Edit” some decent lightning VFX blowing up her parent’s ship. So, the VFX are going to be pretty stellar on that edit just not so much on the SFX.
I do like the idea of changing Rey’s outfit dark but not sure it’s worth the major effort for something not really that critical.
Hal 9000 said:
Yeah, and I appreciate the delicate balance about the KoR lines. I hope we hit a good middle ground that gets to include them but not past their welcome.
Hal, I think it’s really cool you included some of the KoR lines but of course not everyone is going to like them. Maybe on a future release you could just provide an alternate audio track without them, then everyone is happy. On a blade runner edit I reduced and drastically changed Deckard’s narration. A lot of people liked it, but not everyone was a fan, so it was easy for me just to make two audio tracks in the release to keep more people satisfied.
In my opinion dialogues of Knights of Ren, adds a little bit of soul to them. Right, isn’t enough but it’s better than the treatment that they give them in the official released of the movie. About that, which is the original source of this dialogues? I read that is taken from axlanian and krausfadr’s projects. Where can I see this? If there is a fanmade video, of course.
A compilation of all KoR dialogue added to TROS Resurgence is below. The dialogue was written by different members of the OT forum and voiced by poppasketti, mr benjamino, axlanian, and axlanian’s wife.
Note this is not the same as Hal’s version. He used some of the KoR dialogue but implemented it differently in Ascendant.
Thanks Dantearant. I’ll check on that Kylo line volume. Unfortunately I can’t think of any way to show the snake as afraid. Similarly not sure how to have Ben appear alive at the end with my limited VFX skills. If there was a way to edit him in though that would be interesting maybe even worth moving the chess scene back to the beginning. But then again it’s also nice having Rey be more independent.
I think having the Falcon’s interior look like it’s in hyperspace is very important, it’s a pretty glaring mistake, I’m surprised none of the special editions have bothered to fix it.
I went back and found what Adywan did with the hyperspace tunnel. That’s a very easy fix, especially with the static cockpit; I can matte out the windows and replace the background. Plus it would be in 4K.
EDIT: I did something similar in the blade runner n-7 cut. Here I matted out windows of the spinner to add clouds: https://streamable.com/8gwf19
Knight of Kalee said:
I have a couple of questions!
- Are laser shots throughout the film going to be enhanced (colored edges, white centers)?
- Have you considered to have the hyperspace tunnel visible from the Falcon’s cockpit when the heroes travel to Yavin? I believe Adywan and Hal’s edits feature this.
This whole thing is looking neat. I’m very hyped to watch your renewed version of the space battle.
No I won’t be tweaking any laser shots. But if Adywan releases at least a 1080p, I might update my release a bit more later.
I was not aware of or considering the Falcon Hyperspace shot, but I’ll double check Revisited to see what Adywan did there.
In the final space battle there are a lot of new replacement shots. I’m working on the re-foley for that. Thanks for giving me some ideas!
If someone adds force ghosts of Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, Aayla Secura, Luminara Unduli, Adi Gallia, Ahsoka Tano, and Kanan Jarrus in this, it would be much better.
I think a fan editor already did this. Here’s a link to the test version:
I really love the color grading, it actually makes the movie look almost new.
that is a combination of the 4k release and oohteedee’s amazing grading on D+77.
Thanks. Cuts are so fast though. Will remove one of the shots probably to let it breathe slightly.
The acting in ROTJ is not great. From Carrie, Harry, and Mark. It’s like the editor didn’t care and grabbed the worst takes. Maybe they were practicing for the Christmas special.