I read somewhere that in the novelisation, the Luke and Leia training fight was actually a flash back that Leia had at the start of the film.
That seems to be the case!
A quick summary of Chapter 2 for those who are interested:
(The following happens immediately after Rey rescues BB-8 and before her conversation with Leia)
- Hux, and Pryde are on Mustafar watching Kylo cut down Mustafarian colonists
- (Hux and Pryde chat about how beautiful Kylo’s fighting is but is absolutely unnecessary)
- After killing everyone, Kylo walks through Mustafar and the planet surface is described
- Kylo approaches a pool with Vader’s castle in the background. Here he talks to the “oracle” (actually a weird and unnecessary conversation as well)
- Oracle points Kylo toward a chest in the middle of the pool where he finds Vader’s wayfinder
- The rest plays out as in the movie
I feel like including some establishing shots such as the ones being discussed in this thread, in addition to a matte with Vader’s castle before Kylo discovers the wayfinder would be adequate to flesh this scene out a bit. I feel like we’re on the right track given what’s being discussed!
If these posts are more annoying than helpful, let me know and I’ll stop. I just find the novel fascinating and a good source for inspiration!