Sign In

The Usual Sequel Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 50

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was just watching an episode of The Flash with a guest appearance by Mark Hamill and he says ‘I am your father’.

Rey is already a Palpatine now so all we need is for the ghost of Luke to show up in the final confrontation of TROS to really confuse everyone. I wonder if we can get audio for the other Jedi all claiming that they are actually her father. Then Maury steps into the throne room.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

Since so many people are contributing some impressive FX shots for edits of tRoS, I was wondering if anyone on this thread knew anyone who could make a shot of Luke’s saber hitting the ground for any TLJ edit that has Luke drop the saber instead of throwing it.

You’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Am I making Carrie Fisher’s ghost proud?”
Well, are ya, punk?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ed Slushie said:

Since so many people are contributing some impressive FX shots for edits of tRoS, I was wondering if anyone on this thread knew anyone who could make a shot of Luke’s saber hitting the ground for any TLJ edit that has Luke drop the saber instead of throwing it.

There’s a few edits like that on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAk-8wmtpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OKmGlXLTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M78iin4y22I
This one is interesting in that it goes the other way and he takes it.

Author
Time

The one where Luke accepts the saber and walks off was surprisingly well made, though it made me wonder how does Rey retrieve it later.

Is there any version where Luke just hands the lightsaber back to Rey, using a reversed version of the close-up where Luke receives it?

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

The one where Luke accepts the saber and walks off was surprisingly well made, though it made me wonder how does Rey retrieve it later.

Is there any version where Luke just hands the lightsaber back to Rey, using a reversed version of the close-up where Luke receives it?

Could just cut her retrieving it, since the next time we see it is after he agrees to train her?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Knight of Kalee said:

The one where Luke accepts the saber and walks off was surprisingly well made, though it made me wonder how does Rey retrieve it later.

Is there any version where Luke just hands the lightsaber back to Rey, using a reversed version of the close-up where Luke receives it?

Yep. Go to youtube and search something like “luke hands saber back to rey,” “last jedi luke returns saber” etc.

This is a very common edit, I see 10 just on the first page.

I.e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OKmGlXLTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-alL-AT6mJI

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

Came across this old reddit post that compares the leaked TFA call sheet with the theatrical film.

The early cut was basically a different film: longer, less derivative, juicier and more fleshed out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/3y1rw8/what_got_cut_call_sheet_leaks_vs_the_film/

I’m starting to see a pattern here, JJ.

Fascinating.

Though I doubt that this material would have made the film more sensible.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

What I would do for a LOTR style Extended edition of the Sequels.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

What I would do for a LOTR style Extended edition of the Sequels.

I know, right? You’d think that after one three-hour movie (Return of the King) tops the box office and wins best picture in the same year, and another one (Avengers: Endgame) becomes the highest-grossing film of all time, studios would become more comfortable with it.

You’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Am I making Carrie Fisher’s ghost proud?”
Well, are ya, punk?

Author
Time

Ed Slushie said:

idir_hh said:

What I would do for a LOTR style Extended edition of the Sequels.

I know, right? You’d think that after one three-hour movie (Return of the King) tops the box office and wins best picture in the same year, and another one (Avengers: Endgame) becomes the highest-grossing film of all time, studios would become more comfortable with it.

It’s more that there are less showings available. That extra run time gets rid of a bunch of sold out theatre screenings… hypothetically.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Hey, I’d take EE for the whole Saga, honestly.

Yeah, imagine how great that would be. Several characters would be much more fleshed out: Luke in the original movie, Padme in AOTC and ROTS, Leia in TFA and TROS, and Luke in TLJ. It would add so many more layers to the experience.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Or more likely, it’d just add a lot more…stuff. Stuff that was probably deleted for good reason…but you know, it’s a fun novelty nonetheless.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anakin Starkiller said:

Ed Slushie said:

That might work. I recently watched an edit that moves Palpatine’s reveal to the end of act 1, and while the cutaway kind of helps the “Scavenger Hunt” plot feel less hectic, it makes seeing Palpatine less shocking because you’ve had more time to settle into the rest of the story.
I’ve experimented with putting Palpatine’s message into the Last Jedi while saving his visual reveal for tRoS, but the only spot I can find is after the credits. I would hate for tLJ to spend 80% of its runtime being so bleak, and just when you think it’s going to end on a positive note, it turns out the big bad has returned from the dead with a promise of revenge. That feels cruel.

You have a point about ending on a hopeful note, and while that wouldn’t work with Palpatine’s message, it would absolutely work with Kylo’s trip to Exegol. It’s something the protagonists don’t know about, and it shows that the antagonist has been weakened to the point of seeking outside help.

It took almost a month for me to get around to it, but I actually made a proof-of-concept for that idea.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R_FiQmvIdG02_SK_02LJMkNWoktKJy_t/view?usp=sharing

You’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Am I making Carrie Fisher’s ghost proud?”
Well, are ya, punk?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ed Slushie said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

Ed Slushie said:

That might work. I recently watched an edit that moves Palpatine’s reveal to the end of act 1, and while the cutaway kind of helps the “Scavenger Hunt” plot feel less hectic, it makes seeing Palpatine less shocking because you’ve had more time to settle into the rest of the story.
I’ve experimented with putting Palpatine’s message into the Last Jedi while saving his visual reveal for tRoS, but the only spot I can find is after the credits. I would hate for tLJ to spend 80% of its runtime being so bleak, and just when you think it’s going to end on a positive note, it turns out the big bad has returned from the dead with a promise of revenge. That feels cruel.

You have a point about ending on a hopeful note, and while that wouldn’t work with Palpatine’s message, it would absolutely work with Kylo’s trip to Exegol. It’s something the protagonists don’t know about, and it shows that the antagonist has been weakened to the point of seeking outside help.

It took almost a month, but I actually made a proof-of-concept for that idea.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R_FiQmvIdG02_SK_02LJMkNWoktKJy_t/view?usp=sharing

Bruh, the music, I got goosebumps.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Someone on Reddit suggested replacing the contact on Canto Bight with Lando. I think that would make sense. That said, people might find it frustrating to be robbed of him appearing properly in the film.

Author
Time

Eh, doesn’t sound very good. It would shrink the universe too much, and like you said, it would seem kind of insulting for Lando to just get a 5 second joke cameo.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

That’s the case with most Reddit “ideas”.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just had a good one, what if Rey’s parents were killed by an accident related to the war?

Similar to Jyn Erso’s dad being killed in the crossfire…what if they were not murdered, but simply because they were unlucky enough to be hit in a rebel strike happened as they were leaving?

If there was any footage of the actors, a few tweaks of dialogue make it work. If this were a re-DIRECTING forum, I’d say have a scene where the alcoholic father HAD to take a drink along with him because he couldn’t cope with the stress of what he was about to do.

This edit would add at least the tinist bit of conflict for Rey towards the rebellion and at least give the smallest reason to consider Kylo’s “leave it all behind” message that was mostly ignored anyways.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

thebluefrog said:

Just had a good one, what if Rey’s parents were killed by an accident related to the war?

Similar to Jyn Erso’s dad being killed in the crossfire…what if they were not murdered, but simply because they were unlucky enough to be hit in a rebel strike happened as they were leaving?

If there was any footage of the actors, a few tweaks of dialogue make it work. If this were a re-DIRECTING forum, I’d say have a scene where the alcoholic father HAD to take a drink along with him because he couldn’t cope with the stress of what he was about to do.

This edit would add at least the tinist bit of conflict for Rey towards the rebellion and at least give the smallest reason to consider Kylo’s “leave it all behind” message that was mostly ignored anyways.

The problem I see is that Rey doesn’t seem to ever distrust the Resistance in the movies.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

thebluefrog said:

Just had a good one, what if Rey’s parents were killed by an accident related to the war?

Similar to Jyn Erso’s dad being killed in the crossfire…what if they were not murdered, but simply because they were unlucky enough to be hit in a rebel strike happened as they were leaving?

If there was any footage of the actors, a few tweaks of dialogue make it work. If this were a re-DIRECTING forum, I’d say have a scene where the alcoholic father HAD to take a drink along with him because he couldn’t cope with the stress of what he was about to do.

This edit would add at least the tinist bit of conflict for Rey towards the rebellion and at least give the smallest reason to consider Kylo’s “leave it all behind” message that was mostly ignored anyways.

The problem I see is that Rey doesn’t ever seem to ever distrust the Resistance in the movies.

Yeah, when you think about it, Jyn had a more consistent storyarc in one movie than Rey in 3 movies.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

If you like JJ better, RJ’s chapter is gonna stand out as the spoiled meat in the sandwhich. And if you like RJ, JJ seems like he slapped pop tarts on either side of roast beef.

Late to the party but I love this analogy.

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” - DV