Starlight: A reference to Rey and also to the Starkiller weapon.
This is a theoretical fanedit of The Force Awakens, which will use as a base Hal 9000’s TFA Restructured.
This edit seeks to embellish aspects of the characters and locations that were only roughly sketched or abandoned in the original film, as well as correcting as many of the plot holes and conveniences as possible. But in the meantime, this is a repository of all the ideas, mockups, and finished shots relating to this edit.
As for a cutlist for the film, here are some proposed changes (Restructured edits in italics, new changes in bold):
- Replace the original crawl with a new one, establishing, among other things, the First Order’s superweapon.
- Insert Rey’s Daydream, which foreshadows her Force Vision later and establishes her motivation.
- Remove Finn’s wanton destruction of his fellow stormtroopers as he escapes the hangar.
- Cut Hux’s order that a squad be sent to the wreckage, and restructure the sequence of events from where the TIE is shot down to Finn finding Rey.
- Insert shot of the Falcon going to lightspeed directly after it escapes from Jakku, then another shot of it falling out of Hyperspace after the explosion in the Falcon hold. Cut Finn’s line ‘We need to get out of this system!’
- Cut the exchange where BB-8 traitorously divulges the location of the Resistance Base.
- Remove Finn being captured by a Rathtar.
- Move the first Snoke scene to just before the Resistance base, and cut the unnecessary reference to Han as Kylo’s father.
- Edit out Finn’s accidental activation of the Falcon’s game table.
- Remove Han’s lines indicating that they are at the castle to get a ‘clean’ ship. Instead, they need Maz’s connection to Leia to get them to the Resistance.
- Re-score the in-universe music in Maz’s castle to something more in keeping with the Byzantine decoration.
- Remove the Resistance Droid informant, and change subtitles of the First Order informant to make it unclear which party she is contacting.
- Include alien dialogue from the deleted scenes with new subtitles making it clear that Maz’s Castle is the safest place for Finn right now. ‘I heard you can get me to the outer rim.’ ‘Yes, but this castle is safer.’ ‘deeper roots’.
- Move Kylo’s prayer to either just after Finn leaves with the pirates (to indicate a connection between him and the lightsaber’s strange behavior) or before Finn sees the ship arrive overhead.
- Insert reversed shot of Maz handing Leia the lightsaber to the Force vision, indicating that Leia trusts Maz as much as Han does.
- Insert previously deleted footage of Rey alone in the Rathtar infested hallways to the Force vision to emphasize the dramatic effect of Finn’s sudden absence.
- Insert shots of Star Destroyer to Maz’s Castle instead of Hosnian destruction, along with SirRidley’s new music.
- Insert matte painting of the front of the pirate ship Meson Martinet in the shot where Rey says ‘I’m leaving’, indicating that she intends to leave with Finn.
- Regrade Maz’s Castle after Rey runs away to look as if it is occurring in late afternoon
- Restructure the battle of Maz’s Castle so that events are in emotional and logical sync:
-Rey stays behind to hold off the troops
-Han and Finn emerge and are taken prisoner
-Rey fights with and is immobilized by Kylo
-Kylo senses the map, orders the division out (no cutaway to the ‘request air support’ trooper required)
- Remove Maz’s final appearance where she repeats information about finding Rey and reminding Finn that he does, in fact, have a lightsaber.
- Hold Poe’s reveal at Maz’s castle for directly after Finn says ‘That’s one hell of a pilot!’, to which Poe whoops in delight.
- Leia’s deleted scene with Kor Sella is integrated directly after Finn disembarks from the Falcon.
- Remove Poe’s mention of Hosnian System destruction, while leaving in the fact that Finn worked on the First Order base.
- Insert shots of R2 beginning to search his backup files for the map on BB8’s suggestion.
- Remove Leia’s lines which refer to Snoke by name.
- Add a dream sequence before Rey wakes up in the interrogation room, consisting of her exploring Luke’s island and maybe even seeing his face, proffering him the lightsaber.
- Extend Rey’s interrogation with Kylo directly accessing parts of her mind, as she sees the Falcon crashed on the surface of the base. As she gains power, she accesses Kylo’s mind, and learns of his worship of Vader and his insecurity.
- Kylo’s conversation with Snoke is bereft of Hux’s intrusion. Snoke does not learn the location of the Resistance Base in this film.
- Split Rey’s escape attempt into two parts, with her failing to trick the guard at first.
- Move Hux’s speech to directly preceding the Resistance Briefing scene, complete with weapon charging footage.
- Leia’s ‘…again. Our system is the next target’ is replaced with Snap asking if Leia has had word from the Republic, to which she answers ‘No’. 3PO’s line changes to ‘Oh my! This is a catastrophe!’.
- Place the shot of the Falcon in Hyperspace after Finn is informed that the approach will be made at lightspeed. This allows some tension to build whereas before it was over too quickly.
- Re-edit the Starkiller infiltration by Finn, Han, and Chewie to show that Rey is still in the detention level as they deliberate on how to proceed. Cut to Rey escaping after 'Hell no.'
- Remove 3PO’s line ‘It would take a miracle to save us now!’.
- Starkiller firing begins to occur directly after Han falls from the bridge.
- Remove Chewie running for cover before detonating the explosives, implying that he is willing to sacrifice himself to prevent the weapon from firing.
- Re-edit the Hosnian destruction so that the Raddus escapes before the planet is destroyed, and split Leia’s reaction to imply that she senses Han’s death before she is overwhelmed by the Hosnian destruction.
- Between the two parts of the lightsaber fight, remove the cutaway to Hux and shorten the destruction of the Oscillator where it blows up before Poe escapes, making for a more intense sequence.
- Remove fighter pilot reaction shots from the Starkiller destruction and re-foley the scene.
- Crop Chewie out of the shot with Leia after the battle.
- Extend shot of R2 finishing his search of the backup data and finding the map.
- Remove the overly formal ‘my friend’ from Rey saying ‘Thank you, my friend’.
- Remove the final journey to Luke’s island. This material is instead repurposed as the dream sequence preceding the interrogation. The final shot of the film is the Falcon jumping to Hyperspace.
All links will be kept updated in the first post below.
Full Quality MEGA links:
Rey’s Daydream/Force Vision Version 5
Version 5 Audio
Falcon to Hyperspace from Jakku
Falcon from Hyperspace
Falcon from Hyperspace Engines Go Out
Falcon to and from Hyperspace Sound Effects
Star Destroyer over Maz’s Castle
Leia’s Demand to the Senate
Fixed v13 Shot
Poe’s Exposition at the Resistance Base
R2’s Map Search Beginning
Resistance Briefing Scene
Resistance Briefing Scene (This is a catastrophe)
Starkiller Approach Wreckage Removal v8
Starless Starkiller Firing (Version 3)
Leia and the Starkiller (version 14)
We’ve Swept Aside the Republic audio
Re-foleyed Starkiller Destruction
All 9 Mono Tracks
R2’s Map Search End
Final Shot Stablilized
Rey’s Daydream (version 5)
Finn Awakens at Dawn
The Falcon Jumps to then Exits Hyperspace
Finn and the Pirates
Star Destroyer Late Afternoon
Maz’s Castle and Snoke Mockup
Leia’s Demand to the Senate Mockup (Outdated)
Leia’s Demand to the Senate Integrated
Leia Demand to the Senate Integrated 8
Concurrent Weapon Charging and Interrogation
Rey’s Escape (Single Interrogation Variant)
You Will Give the Map to Me
Resistance Briefing Scene
Leia and the Starkiller
We’ve Swept Aside the Republic
Rey’s Extended Journey rough mockup
Final Shot Stabilized
If anyone wants to use these clips in their own edits feel free, just credit my work 😃
DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and Starlight Project