Sign In

Rogue One * Spoilers * Thread — Page 14

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

Lord Haseo said:

“Who’s scruffy looking” exchange wouldn’t work in the present.

That’s 'cause the present sucks.

It’s sad that that’s not even really debatable.

SilverWook said:

This is supposed to be the ROTS Tarkin makeup test, and it looks better than what was in the movie!

That actually looks pretty damn good. Only problem is that he looks just as old as Tarkin in STAR WARS.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lord Haseo said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

Lord Haseo said:

“Who’s scruffy looking” exchange wouldn’t work in the present.

That’s 'cause the present sucks.

It’s sad that that’s not even really debatable.

Fast forward 40 years:

Person 1 — That’s because the present sucks.

Person 2 — It’s sad that that’s not even really debatable.

SilverWook said:

This is supposed to be the ROTS Tarkin makeup test, and it looks better than what was in the movie!

That actually looks pretty damn good. Only problem is that he looks just as old as Tarkin in STAR WARS.

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

Author
Time

It’s good to see an RA-7 droid again.

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

Yea, me too. I’m pretty sure the last time we saw a live action RA-7 was in A New Hope. I am really happy to see that droid again! Also, I just wanted to point out that the costume is expensive as hell because of the chrome platings. For reference, I had a Daft Punk helmet chromed and it ended up costing me $350. Just imagine how much it would cost to chrome a full-body suit! I’m glad to see that they are putting a lot of money and effort into costumes for extras. It really adds realism to the movie and it’s cool to see that they are doing this.

Author
Time

yhwx said:

That actually looks pretty damn good. Only problem is that he looks just as old as Tarkin in STAR WARS.

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

Because Tarkin is big, buff, and could probably physically kick Vader’s ass in the original film. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Booman said:

Yea, me too. I’m pretty sure the last time we saw a live action RA-7 was in A New Hope. I am really happy to see that droid again! Also, I just wanted to point out that the costume is expensive as hell because of the chrome platings. For reference, I had a Daft Punk helmet chromed and it ended up costing me $350. Just imagine how much it would cost to chrome a full-body suit! I’m glad to see that they are putting a lot of money and effort into costumes for extras. It really adds realism to the movie and it’s cool to see that they are doing this.

It’s always going to be Death Star Droid to me, thanks to Kenner. The original suit still exists, so they might have dusted it off?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Some footage of Tudyk’s K-2SO as well a bit of info about his personality;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPuYxyv3R4
Skip to 0:53


http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/07/gareth-edwards-talks-jedha-vader-and-opening-crawls-at-swce16.html

Edwards confirms that the planet Jedha is a pilgrimage destination for Force believers.

"The whole real backstory of it all is really more a thing for the canon and Lucasfilm, but I feel like it’s definitely…if you believe in the Jedi and you believe in the Force, it feels like Jedha is somewhere you should visit in your lifetime. It’s like a spiritual home of the Jedi."

Not too much info about if RO will have an opening crawl or not, but it seems like they’re leaning on not having one.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

Booman said:

Yea, me too. I’m pretty sure the last time we saw a live action RA-7 was in A New Hope. I am really happy to see that droid again! Also, I just wanted to point out that the costume is expensive as hell because of the chrome platings. For reference, I had a Daft Punk helmet chromed and it ended up costing me $350. Just imagine how much it would cost to chrome a full-body suit! I’m glad to see that they are putting a lot of money and effort into costumes for extras. It really adds realism to the movie and it’s cool to see that they are doing this.

It’s always going to be Death Star Droid to me, thanks to Kenner. The original suit still exists, so they might have dusted it off?

Didn’t it appear in the Sandcrawler?
EDIT [I see that it appear briefly in the background on the DS], but it’s a bit weird that Kenner would name it after a scene where it’s in the background as opposed to the scene where it’s center-frame.
(Then again Kenner did get 4-LOM and Zuckuss mixed up)

Author
Time

I’m pretty sure it’s not the same suit. There are several differences between the two, as shown in this image I threw together.

Imgur

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So while everyone’s been speculating about the appearance of Bail Organa, most have neglected this shot:

The hair looks too dark but he has the cheekbones and carries himself like Tarkin. Dunno…

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time

I remember hearing somewhere that there was going to be a computer-generated Tarkin in RO. Did that ever get validated?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tarkin was experimenting with hair dye, but the snickering of his subordinates got on his nerves. Several surprise terminations followed, and he washed it out. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That what I was kind of thinking. If they scanned this fan bust of Tarkin:

And rigged it properly, it’d make an excellent basis for a digital head replacement.

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Tarkin was experimenting with hair dye, but the snickering of his subordinates got on his nerves. Several surprise terminations followed, and he washed it out. 😉

Actual LOL.
😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

yhwx said:

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

Because Tarkin is big, buff, and could probably physically kick Vader’s ass in the original film. 😉

Well, it’s sort of like when you somebody with a sore thumb. It just doesn’t look good.

Author
Time

Tobar said:

That what I was kind of thinking. If they scanned this fan bust of Tarkin:

And rigged it properly, it’d make an excellent basis for a digital head replacement.

I think that’s the same bust I saw at Monsterpalooza a couple years back. Spooky and lifelike in person.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I was at the panel and saw the special sneak peak, security guards were everywhere for when that came on and I only had my huge iPad still with battery.

Gareth and Hamill meet
Scarif BTS

Author
Time

I would be very disappointed if they make the guy in white uniform have a higher rank than Tarkin. That would be stupid.

真実

Author
Time

Tarkin is a governor. Someone can have different powers and authority without outranking him.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Tarkin is a governor. Someone can have different powers and authority without outranking him.

Well Tarkin was a military governor therefore should be above generals/admirals. I just hope they won’t crap on Tarkin’s character. The worst case scenario would be to make Tarkin merely a construction overseer, while making the new guy the initial first choice for Death Star command and then when he will be killed during the Rouge One they would establish that Tarkin was just a replacement (picking up the scraps).

真実

Author
Time

yhwx said:

SilverWook said:

yhwx said:

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

Because Tarkin is big, buff, and could probably physically kick Vader’s ass in the original film. 😉

Well, it’s sort of like when you somebody with a sore thumb. It just doesn’t look good.

I would never somebody.

Author
Time

Or he could be the guy chasing after those who stole the Death Star plans, who ultimately screws up, and Vader is called in? We’ll know by December. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

yhwx said:

SilverWook said:

yhwx said:

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

Because Tarkin is big, buff, and could probably physically kick Vader’s ass in the original film. 😉

Well, it’s sort of like when you somebody with a sore thumb. It just doesn’t look good.

I would never somebody.

Of course not. But especially with a sore thumb.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yhwx said:

Lord Haseo said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

Lord Haseo said:

“Who’s scruffy looking” exchange wouldn’t work in the present.

That’s 'cause the present sucks.

It’s sad that that’s not even really debatable.

Fast forward 40 years:

Person 1 — That’s because the present sucks.

Person 2 — It’s sad that that’s not even really debatable.

SilverWook said:

This is supposed to be the ROTS Tarkin makeup test, and it looks better than what was in the movie!

That actually looks pretty damn good. Only problem is that he looks just as old as Tarkin in STAR WARS.

Really? To my eye there’s something wrong. He looks way to week and fragile. Just doesn’t look right to me—almost repulses me.

The problem in both cases is that the makeup is designed to look like Peter Cushing in the original SW film – despite the fact that the ending of ROTS takes place roughly 20 years beforehand. The result is a weirdly uncanny makeup that looks like an old man with dyed brown hair.

A makeup that made the actor look like Cushing circa Horror of Dracula would have been much better suited.

And yes, I agree that late 20th-century films did aging makeups much better than today’s movies. Strange.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”