Sign In

Preserving RotS Theatrical Version - Is there any interest?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Revenge of the Sith is probably the least deserving of a theatrical preservation, but it also seems to be the least difficult (please correct me if I’m mistaken). The only changes I’m aware of are the shortened “NOOOOO” (edit: an untrue rumor), the Kashyyyk rooftops, and the Utapau Clone Troopers. I’ve read that the color timing is very close to the original release.

Is there interest for a preservation? Are there adequate sources to create it? I would love to make an attempt.

(Please let me know if similar topics have been created previously).

Author
Time

Has the shortened “NOOOOO” ever even been confirmed?

I’m just here because I’m driving tonight.

Author
Time

I seem to recall someone thinking that the mustafarans working on one of the floating lava platforms during the duel were there in one version and gone in the other. Again, I don’t know if this was ever confirmed.

Was there only one U.S. theatrical version of RotS or were there differences between the 35mm prints and the DCPs? I saw both, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you now if, for example, the wipe was there in both versions or if that change predated the dvd. I think the wipe is back in the official bd if I’m not mistaken?

Author
Time

What shortened “No”?

Worst May the 4th EVER.

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

FrankT said:

What shortened “No”?

A few change lists claim that Vader’s “noooo” was shortened. Although this might be just a case of “Luke throwing the grappling hook twice”.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Is there a copy of the original Backstroke Of The West still floating around? (The one with timecode and subtitles, not the professionally dubbed version.) That’s probably the only visual record left of what went out into theaters, as it leaked right before the movie was released.

The Youtube comments that the Kashyyk roofs had to be changed so as to look good on Blu Ray, are both sad and disturbing. Not as much as the random “TFA sucks!” comment though. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

What about that R5? You know, the bootleg with the Russian logo and scroll.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

Yeah, that’s around as well.

The theatrical version is the DVD/HDTV with the theatrical wipe re-instated from the blu-ray. Schorman said he would put out a version of it at some point.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thanks for reminding me! This has been on the back burner for a while. I’ll have to get cracking on this!

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time

Neat, I’m glad to see it’s being worked on! How is the quality of the HDTV rip compared to the blu-ray?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Is there a copy of the original Backstroke Of The West still floating around? (The one with timecode and subtitles, not the professionally dubbed version.)

This is hilarious, I’ve never heard of it before. I’d love to find a copy somewhere, but it seems that the original version isn’t as common.

Author
Time

pittrek said:

Moth3r said:

There was a diagonal optical wipe in the theatrical release that was replaced with a straight cut on the DVD. This was then restored on the BD, so the BD is the theatrical version.
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html

It isn’t. There was some CG crap added to the Wookie huts and there are some changes in the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCn0O4aF_8

That Youtube video compares the DVD and the BD; we know from the absence of the wipe that the DVD is not the theatrical. Just wondering if the workprint has the clone voices and the Wookiee hut rust?

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

pittrek said:

Moth3r said:

There was a diagonal optical wipe in the theatrical release that was replaced with a straight cut on the DVD. This was then restored on the BD, so the BD is the theatrical version.
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html

It isn’t. There was some CG crap added to the Wookie huts and there are some changes in the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCn0O4aF_8

That Youtube video compares the DVD and the BD; we know from the absence of the wipe that the DVD is not the theatrical. Just wondering if the workprint has the clone voices and the Wookiee hut rust?

No, those are BD additions. Audio shouldn’t be a problem as I have the Theatrical DTS mix prepped already for this. The '05 DVD didn’t have any noticeable changes either, iirc.

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time

schorman13 said:
No, those are BD additions. Audio shouldn’t be a problem as I have the Theatrical DTS mix prepped already for this. The '05 DVD didn’t have any noticeable changes either, iirc.

Does the theatrical mix have a longer “Nooooo” by Vader than the DVD/Bluray?

Author
Time

When none carried out a “difference” analysis of the 2004 DVD and the 2011 BD he came up with this list of visual changes:
http://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/538958

?00:07:54 - : Lightsaber cores?
00:33:18 - 00:33:27 : Bottom half of Jedi temple has been revised
00:38:05 - : Coruscant sun, more intense
00:48:28 - 00:48:30 : Kashyyyk sky intensity change, Roofs revised
?00:49:11 - : top half of frame dif or just window?
00:53:31 0 : Coruscant sky
?01:03:58 : top frame change?
01:23:01 - 01:23:07 : Kashyyyk building roof color change
01:23:10 - : Kashyyyk building interior windows brighter
01:40:26 - : Weird Obi sunlight modification
01:41:43 - : Color shift to Padme’s ship

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Sounds primarily like color changes. The best quality thing to do would be to drop in the roofs from the HDTV cap and throw the DTS track under it. You could also do some color work.

Author
Time

theMaestro said:

schorman13 said:
No, those are BD additions. Audio shouldn’t be a problem as I have the Theatrical DTS mix prepped already for this. The '05 DVD didn’t have any noticeable changes either, iirc.

Does the theatrical mix have a longer “Nooooo” by Vader than the DVD/Bluray?

Nope. That was a weird rumor. Perhaps people got used to how crappy it was and/or it wasn’t as long as everyone jokes and memes about.

Author
Time

There was also a bootleg DVD-5 that came out a few months after release. (It may have actually been DIVX now that I think about it.) It was not cam footage. Maybe it was an airline copy, but it’s not marked as such. I think I still have my copy.

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time

Yeah, my copy was an XviD AVI with 320 kbps AC3.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

I have a bootleg VCD with the same timecoded source as Backstroke of the West.
It has a poorly stretched aspect ratio and none of the Engrish subtitles, though.
I bought it in the Philippines a long time ago (around 10 years ago) and I still have it.

I also suggest restorations of AOTC and TPM.

And I’ve loved every pixel of it.
(Clarissa Darling, Clarissa Explains It All)

You’re so right.
(Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Force Awakens)