Sign In

General Star Wars Random Thoughts Thread — Page 420

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

I’ll take ‘Animated action scenes from the films’ for 500 dollars.

There’s an article that says it’ll feature new content as well, in what form I don’t know. But for the most part you’re obviously right.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ZkinandBonez said:

screams in the void said:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-built-c3po-george-lucas-1977/?fbclid=IwAR3L_FEb366vVbJKbbJXstoLP02ljq_mOLnP5vQO_8Kp5OyTxUKe0j9WhzY

I actually made a thread about this, and the whole 1977 “interview”, a few years ago, and I wouldn’t put too much faith in anything claimed in it. Turns out that Lucas tampered with that interview when it was printed in the “The Making of Star Wars” book in order to make it more compatible with the PT.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Lucas-EU-in-1977-midi-chlorians-space-gypsies-and-crystal-currency/id/51354

What’s interesting though, is that this version of Threepio’s origin was eventually canonized in a comic. So in Legends canon, Threepio was never actually created by Anakin, but rather just rebuilt.

Very interesting and thank you for sharing . one thing of note is that I have the 2nd edition of A Guide To The Star Wars universe by Bill Slavicsek from 1994 and for the entry on 3po , it does mention that he was built 112 years bby , I don’t remember if it mentioned Affa or a junk dealer though . I will have to dig all of my books out of storage when I get the time , but I remember being surprised that 'ol Goldenrod had been around that long when I read that entry back in 94

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Not entirely sure what this will be but the art style is very cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsHRyLWgWg

very cool ! Now that is the kind of stuff I would like to see a full length series of . It also reminds me a little bit of the Original Trilogy graphic novel I bought a couple years ago where Disney adapted all the films in one hardback volume , although this animation looks a step up from that to me and not as much like caricatures of everyone …here is the graphic novel write up from the official site …https://www.starwars.com/news/reimagining-a-saga-how-lucasfilm-press-made-the-beautiful-star-wars-the-original-trilogy-a-graphic-novel

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

screams in the void said:

ZkinandBonez said:

screams in the void said:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-built-c3po-george-lucas-1977/?fbclid=IwAR3L_FEb366vVbJKbbJXstoLP02ljq_mOLnP5vQO_8Kp5OyTxUKe0j9WhzY

I actually made a thread about this, and the whole 1977 “interview”, a few years ago, and I wouldn’t put too much faith in anything claimed in it. Turns out that Lucas tampered with that interview when it was printed in the “The Making of Star Wars” book in order to make it more compatible with the PT.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Lucas-EU-in-1977-midi-chlorians-space-gypsies-and-crystal-currency/id/51354

What’s interesting though, is that this version of Threepio’s origin was eventually canonized in a comic. So in Legends canon, Threepio was never actually created by Anakin, but rather just rebuilt.

Very interesting and thank you for sharing . one thing of note is that I have the 2nd edition of A Guide To The Star Wars universe by Bill Slavicsek from 1994 and for the entry on 3po , it does mention that he was built 112 years bby , I don’t remember if it mentioned Affa or a junk dealer though . I will have to dig all of my boks out of storage when I get the time , but I remember being surprised that 'ol Goldenrod had been around that long when I read that entry back in 94

That’s weird. I also have a copy of the 2nd edition of the “Guide to the SW Universe”, but I couldn’t find any mention of Threepio’s age or the planet Affa. Maybe you’re thinking of the 1st edition from 1984? I don’t have a copy of that book, but from what I’ve read it used a lot of information that was considered non-canon even by 1994. Then again, Threepio being from Affa was still canon after the PT, so it might have been removed from canon, then later re-canonized.

Either way, Slavicsek’s “Guide to the SW Universe” has some fascinating pre-PT entries, like Owen being Ben’s brother instead of being related to Anakin, etc. One of these days I really need to get a hold of both the 1st and 3rd edition and compare them to the one in the middle.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ah…just checked and it is the second edition where I saw that 112 year for 3p0 , I was mistaken about it’s placement in the book ,There’s no mention of it in the entry for C-3PO, but there’s a timeline in the front of the book that says:

112 BSW4 (before SW Ep4): C-3PO activated.

it also has:

35 BSW4: Clone Wars ended. And issue 17 of the original Marvel comic hinted at Owen and Ben being brothers too , as did the ROTJ novelization .

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

screams in the void said:

ah…just checked and it is the second edition where I saw that 112 year for 3p0 , I was mistaken about it’s placement in the book ,There’s no mention of it in the entry for C-3PO, but there’s a timeline in the front of the book that says:

112 BSW4 (before SW Ep4): C-3PO activated.

Ah, right. I’d completely forgotten about that section. Funny how they didn’t mention it in Threepio’s entry as well.

screams in the void said:

it also has:

35 BSW4: Clone Wars ended. And issue 17 of the original Marvel comic hinted at Owen and Ben being brothers too , as did the ROTJ novelization .

I’ve read the novelization, but I never thought about the suggestion in SW #17. I’m assuming you’re referring to the “you let a brother leave without saying good-bye” line from Beru to Owen? I always just assumed they were referring to Anakin, but I guess Ben’s a possibility also. Though a few panels later Luke asks Beru about what happened between Owen and “my father”, so I think Goodwin was probably thinking of “Anakin”. Seems like everyone in the late 70’s & early 80’s was just trying to guess how everything was connected. I’ve always wondered if Lucas was as involved with the ROTJ novelization as he was with the SW novelization, or if he at that point didn’t care and just approved of the book in general. Lucas obviously changed a lot of his lore-ideas between ROTJ and TPM, so either is possible.

Author
Time
  • ahh , I think you are right about SW 17 , I got my wires crossed between that and the ROTJ novel. and yeah ,I think you are right about everyone in that era trying to guess how everything connected . That is part of the charm of that era , where there was only one movie and things could go anywhere without having to be rigidly interconnected .

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

screams in the void said:

  • ahh , I think you are right about SW 17 , I got my wires crossed between that and the ROTJ novel. and yeah ,I think you are right about everyone in that era trying to guess how everything connected . That is part of the charm of that era , where there was only one movie and things could go anywhere without having to be rigidly interconnected .

Yes, as much as I love the later EU, the early years did have much more unrestrained creativity, resulting in some really crazy, but fun stories. It got a bit too weird at times IMO, but I much prefer that over the rigidity plaguing a lot of the new SW stories.

Author
Time

I’ve read/heard a lot about how big of a deal Heir to the Empire was when it was released in stores, and I’ve even heard descriptions of the marketing and the general excitement about there being a new SW story, but I’ve never seen any photos of it. I tried to google it but couldn’t really find anything. Has anyone actually seen/found any ads, promos, photos, etc. online relating to the release of Heir to the Empire in 1991?

Author
Time

I think there were full page ads in magazines like Starlog at the time.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is all I’ve been able to find, most from years later:

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/10/EpicCollections.jpg
http://chinese-starwars.com/jediarchive/expanduniverse/donald/donald/24_captain_pellaeon.jpg
http://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/expandeduniverse.jpg
Heir to the Empire

It did remind me of this commercial, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOV2dGdFbGk

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NeverarGreat said:

This is all I’ve been able to find, most from years later:

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/10/EpicCollections.jpg
http://chinese-starwars.com/jediarchive/expanduniverse/donald/donald/24_captain_pellaeon.jpg
http://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/expandeduniverse.jpg
Heir to the Empire

I’ve seen a few of those before (I even own one of those Thrawn figures), but the weird thing is that I’ve seen plenty of EU (and Thrawn trilogy) related ads from the mid- to late-90’s, but nothing about just the book in 1991. I mean people must have had some way to get hyped for it, so there must have been some promotion for it.

NeverarGreat said:

It did remind me of this commercial, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOV2dGdFbGk

It’s a bit funny really that one of the most beloved SW books never got a proper TV ad (to my knowledge at least), yet one of the more controversial ones got a dramtic TV commercial narrated by Mark Hamill.

SilverWook said:

I think there were full page ads in magazines like Starlog at the time.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I’ll have to see if I can find some photos/scans of Starlog from 1991. Though, I still think there’d have to be more than just that.

Author
Time

Archive.org has scans of many back issues, but there are gaps in each year.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I don’t remember seeing Heir To The Empire advertised before I became aware of it . I first came across it in the now defunct Waldenbooks in my local mall back in 91 . I practically jumped for joy when I saw it and bought it immediately . At the time , I was starving for any new Star Wars content as there was hardly any to be found after the Marvel comic series ended , except for three issues of a 3d comic , the roleplaying game , and the Droids/Ewoks cartoon . That was about it . This is why I will never complain about over saturation of Star Wars . Kids these days …sheesh…GET OFF MY LAWN !!!

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

My waiter at Outback Steakhouse today totally looked like a young Gary Kurtz. Right down to that distinctive beard. Was sorely tempted to ask if he was somehow related.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

My waiter at Outback Steakhouse today totally looked like a young Gary Kurtz. Right down to that distinctive beard. Was sorely tempted to ask if he was somehow related.

You should have

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Stay Phrosty” - Lemar Kentell, my other half. Feel the love.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The best part of Phantom Menace is the royalty free children laughing sound effects. You can’t argue with me. You know I’m right.

DESTROY ALL JEDI

My name is Sprite Pepsi and I’m abstinence till I die!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

snooker said:

The best part of Phantom Menace is the royalty free children laughing sound effects. You can’t argue with me. You know I’m right.

The same ones that are in Rollercoaster Tycoon

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Did this actually happen?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

snooker said:

The best part of Phantom Menace is the royalty free children laughing sound effects. You can’t argue with me. You know I’m right.

I do.

Arrivederci.

Author
Time

If Rogue One had 40 years of nostalgia attached, it would be as highly regarded as the Original Trilogy.