logo Sign In

2006 OT DVD: Poll: So What are You Going to Do? — Page 3

Author
Time
I might buy them, USED... but George has gotten enough money from me. This should've been a day we were dreaming about, but now for many people it's just so so... I'm happy for those of you that are looking forward to this. I really am. I will just stick with my laser rips for now.
Graduate student in Vocal Performance. Movie and hometheater PEZ collecting geek.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Anchorhead
Originally posted by: Obi Jeewhyen

.... when I watch Star Wars, Princess Leia is not even Luke's sister, and Darth Vader is not his daddy.

That's because none of them are related to each other.

Some of us were there. We know the truth. We've read the magazine interviews where Lucas said he thought it up years afterwards. He can change the films and lie about it all he wants, but he can't go back and alter the printed words. Too many people remember. Too many people think for themselves.

Ooh, now those are some interviews I would definitely love to read.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Gaffer Tape
Ooh, now those are some interviews I would definitely love to read.

I have to start hunting around. Someone had a bunch of links to old articles posted a few months ago. There was also a couple with Kurtz where he mentioned the altering-it-on-the-fly and the making-it-up-as-he-went-along conversations he and Lucas used to have.

There was no grand vision back in the 70s. He wrote one screenplay for one film. Eveything after that was a cash grab. Seems like it was a few years ago that Lesley Stahl interviewed Lucas on 60 Minutes and he spoke about altering the Return story to include ewoks solely for the marketing tie-ins. Had something to do with his daughter. I heard him speak the words so I know it was some sort of TV thing. I should have recorded it but I dislike the guy so much that I could hardly watch the thing the one time. I can't stand to listen to him be interviewed. Like I've said before, he might as well be burping the alphabet when he speaks - it's that meaningless.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
I can't stand to listen to him be interviewed. Like I've said before, he might as well be burping the alphabet when he speaks - it's that meaningless.
Now THAT creates an image in my head that makes me nearly fall out of my chair laughing!

Of course, Jar Jar would have to be there as accompaniment, maybe stepping in some poo while he's at it.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
WARNING: Thread Hijack In Progress!!

Where do you stand on the novelisation Alan Dean Foster did for him, Anchorhead?
Don't you call me a mindless philosopher...!
Author
Time
I haven't read or heard most of what you guys have (I was just to young at the time), but I remember reading or hearing about him trying to figure out what would make Luke react a certain way in ROTJ. He couldn't figure out what would make him come out of the shadows and attack Vader. Then it hit him. Make Leia his sister. So even that idea didn't come around until he wrote ROTJ.

I'm with most of you though. I got so tired of hearing him say "The story was always written and this is always the way it was suppose to be". Bullshit. If that's true, he would've cast someone young for the Anakin reveal and they would've had Greedo shoot first when they were originally filming the scene. As it is, they had 3 different people playing Darth Vader. There's no reason they couldn't have added a fourth.

I'm on the fence about the OOT DVD now. They do look good, but I'm waiting for more reviews and comparisons to fan made ones before I make a final decision.
F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
Darth Vader is interesting for that reason, actually. He must have been one of the first on-screen, live-action characters to be played by so many different people IN THE SAME FILM (ROTJ). I mean, you've got two actors straight away, with David Prowse and James Earl Jones. Then Sebastian Shaw. Now we've had Hayden in the suit as well (which still makes me laugh SO hard!!). Have there been any others I've missed?!
Author
Time
Bob Anderson did a lot of Vader's swordwork for Empire and Jedi. They also had someone in the Vader suit for Vaders walk to the shuttle for the ESB:SE.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: lordjedi
I'm with most of you though. I got so tired of hearing him say "The story was always written and this is always the way it was suppose to be". Bullshit. If that's true, he would've cast someone young for the Anakin reveal and they would've had Greedo shoot first when they were originally filming the scene. As it is, they had 3 different people playing Darth Vader. There's no reason they couldn't have added a fourth.
I recently posted in another thread that in 1977 Darth Vader appeared in the credits as 'Lord Darth Vader' but in the 2004 DVD credits it's been changed to just 'Darth Vader'. This, along with the fact that Ben refers to him as 'Darth' makes me think that originally Darth was actually the name of Luke's Father's Murderer, NOT a title (his title was Lord, his name was Darth Vader). Darth Vader's character was then altered to be Luke's Father rather than the killer of Luke's Father and then when the idea of 'Darth' being a title was used in the prequels, the credits of the original movie were altered to accomodate this change. But Lucas had the whole story planned all along because he's a genius, so I must be wrong...

War does not make one great.

Author
Time
D'y'know, YIYF, I was just thinking the same thing! Obi-Wan blatently calls him Darth, as in Darth is his first name.
Author
Time
Yeah, I forgot about that one. Darth went from being a name to a title. Just like Sith (Dark Lord of the Sith) went from being a Jedi that has become a Sith to a race of people. Of course, that's more of an EU thing, but it's a change nonetheless. It took hime 20 years to change Darth though and that's probably only because he couldn't think of a name for the bad guy.

Someone once told me "Star Wars is a constantly evolving story". My response was "Then GL needs to say that instead of telling us that it was always meant to be that way".
F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Yoda Is Your Father
Originally posted by: lordjedi
I recently posted in another thread that in 1977 Darth Vader appeared in the credits as 'Lord Darth Vader' but in the 2004 DVD credits it's been changed to just 'Darth Vader'. This, along with the fact that Ben refers to him as 'Darth' makes me think that originally Darth was actually the name of Luke's Father's Murderer, NOT a title (his title was Lord, his name was Darth Vader). Darth Vader's character was then altered to be Luke's Father rather than the killer of Luke's Father and then when the idea of 'Darth' being a title was used in the prequels, the credits of the original movie were altered to accomodate this change. But Lucas had the whole story planned all along because he's a genius, so I must be wrong...

Without doubt. Darth was in no way a title. That is definitely one of my least favorite prequel-trilogy changes (even beats the midiclorian crap for me). I mean, it's so boring. What a simplistic way to sort of make things line up with the original story. I was expecting some interesting name and identity deceptions in the PT story.

"Now all Lucas has to do is make a cgi version of himself.  It will be better than the original and fit his original vision." - skyjedi2005

Author
Time
I must say that I have noticed that since the screen shots came in, the "Buying them" percentage shot way up.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: auraloffalwaffle
WARNING: Thread Hijack In Progress!!

Where do you stand on the novelisation Alan Dean Foster did for him, Anchorhead?

Never read it so I'm not familiar with it other than being aware of it. What, if anything, is in it? Thought it was written from the script.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
I think he's talking about 'Splinter In The Mind's Eye'. It takes place between SW and ESB.

Author
Time
I think he might mean the fact that Foster ghost-wrote the original SW novelization (note to eros: "SW" stands for...oh forget it).
Author
Time
Did he?! So, GL isn't capable of writing a book on his own either? LOL!

Author
Time
Poll: So What are You Going to Do?

well i really don't know; at first i was thrilled to hear that the real SW movies were coming to dvd, but from the announcement of this release till recently it was bad news over bad news... i've seen the dvd clips and i think it's not that bad, yes it is an half-assed job, an insult to these movies but i've seen worse (at least i think i've seen...). So now i'm in a "well i'll wait to see the real stuff in demo in a shop" to decide. it's a yes/no/yes/no/yes/no situation for me (the bits i've seen have had a kind of pavlovian reflex on me....damn you george!)

Author
Time
I have no idea. I kind of want to, but I have nice looking bootlegs, so what's the point? I might pick up Star Wars so I can have the version without the "New Hope" title on it. Also, it would look better than my bootleg, and noticably too. But ESB and ROTJ probably won't look much better on the new DVD's, so no point really.

If I had the money, I'd get all three. But I don't. Maybe someone can help me make up my mind..
Watch DarthEvil's Who Framed Darth Vader? video on YouTube!

You can also access the entire Horriffic Violence Theater Series from my Channel Page.
Author
Time
I'm definitely buying at least one of them, just for the hell of it. Probably "Star Wars". I'm gonna watch it all the way through, and then after that do a comparison to various bootlegs. If I like (or don't hate) what I see then maybe I'll probably get the other two.
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
I think I'll stick with the "Reinventing the Wheel" set instead of the new DVDs.
They look pretty good even for laserdisc, compareable to the new DVDs, are anamorphic, and are not $90. Even if the picture isn't quite as good, it's darn near close, and anamorphic already!

I'm very dissapointed in Lucasfilm for this poor release, so I'm not shelling out $60-100 for them when I have something just as good or better.

My stance on revising fan edits.

Author
Time
I'm going to wait until they show up at one of the local pawn shops. I'll be able to get them for $6 CDN (for each set) and they don't accept discs in poor condition. Then, I'll have the official discs, won't have given Lucas a dime, and have the best of both worlds.

Pawn shops are great for getting DVD's. (I just hope none of mine show up there.)
Author
Time
Never read it so I'm not familiar with it other than being aware of it. What, if anything, is in it? Thought it was written from the script.

It certainly seems to have been. In order to avoid further thread hijacking, I have started a freash thread for this: SW Novel.

Be there or be square!

I'm so goddamn hip...