logo Sign In

Preserving the...cringe...Star Wars Holiday Special (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ORIGINAL POST:

Right. Well, we all know how bad it is, BUT… there’s some great stuff in there worth preserving. Besides the obvious Boba Fett cartoon, there’s also:

• cut scenes of Mos Eisley
  • a cut scene of Vader & Bast
  • close-ups of cantina creatures we can’t see well in Star Wars
  • the only other appearance of the original cast in their Star Wars outfits
  • Bea Arthur singing in all her glory!

Okay, just kidding about that last one.

So, the question comes to mind: what is the BEST possible copy of the Special out there? There are certainly plenty of horrible ones, but good ones are much harder to come by.

One of the better ones is the Angrysun Edition. But I’ve seen better than this. In fact, I’d consider Angrysun about the third best I’ve seen in terms of quality. What else have you guys seen out there?

[EDIT: This was Angrysun Edition v1.  Angrysun Edition v2 (the KCCI broadcast) is much better quality - see below.]

Ideally, we would want a master from or as close to someone’s original broadcast recording as possible. A transfer from a Betamax recording would give better quality than a VHS recording, in theory.

Now even better than that would be a digital recording off of a professional studio master copy (i.e., an original that was used to broadcast the show). As unlikely as this sounds, it’s possible; I have seen a copy made from an original master. It had a title card from the tape duplicator, no commercials (just 5 second blank gaps between the announcement bumpers), and no station IDs or announcer voiceovers. The only problem was that either the original master was deteriorated horribly, or that it was an nth generation copy–the picture was washed-out and “ghosted” causing very poor quality. But I have yet to unearth an actual studio master so far.

I’d like to use this topic to discuss the better copies of the Holiday Special out there, and determine which ones are the best and how to differentiate between them.

–SKot

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

UPDATES:

Here is a link to screen shots of some of the different known recordings of the Holiday Special out there:

http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/swhs-old/versions.htm [EDIT: Link updated for 2022]

Best overall copy:

EditDroid’s The Star Wars Holiday Special DVD
This release surfaced in December 2015 and blew away anything previously seen in terms of quality. It appears to be sourced from a master copy, and features crisp video quality, blank spaces where commercials would be, and no announcer voice-over on the credits.
Extras include:

• optional Spanish audio
  • optional English subtitles
  • CBS TV promos
  • standalone cartoon
  • TV Land segment
  • FOX News G Block
  • Interview clips with Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Stan Winston

Best broadcast copy:
Tasjo’s WHIO-TV 7 V2 DVD
For pure broadcast video quality, this is probably the best one out there. Unfortunately, the original recording did not include commercials. However, the V2 release of the DVD has a menu with extras including all the commercials as taken from the WMAR-TV 2 broadcast. Overall a great choice for the broadcast version.
Extras include:

• optional commercials
  • optional Spanish audio

Best hybrid copy:
Gormaanda Hybrid V2 DVD
This hybrid combining the best elements from two different broadcast copies of the Holiday Special yielded a very pleasing result, and is the preferred broadcast version to watch for many.
Extras include:

• optional commercials
  • optional Spanish audio
  • standalone cartoon
  • standalone Kenner toy commercial
  • optional RiffTrax audio

Discussion continues on new preservation possibilities and other versions that surface.

–SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
There are a few different Angrysun editions. I have the "unauthorized white" version and the "eBay" version. The "eBay" version looks absolutely fantastic, like you're watching it right on TV in 1978.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
I had been searching for a few years for the best quality version possible. A few months ago I sent Rikter a disc of the best one I have ever found. I think he made it into his latest Angrysun edition, but I'm not sure. Rik?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: ReverendBeastly
There are a few different Angrysun editions. I have the "unauthorized white" version and the "eBay" version. The "eBay" version looks absolutely fantastic, like you're watching it right on TV in 1978.

Hmmm... I've only seen one that was a Torrent. It had the Kenner commercials and the Muppet Show as well. What is the "unauthorized white" version? How does it differ from the "eBay" version?

--SKot

Projects:

Author
Time
Originally posted by: SKot

Hmmm... I've only seen one that was a Torrent. It had the Kenner commercials and the Muppet Show as well. What is the "unauthorized white" version? How does it differ from the "eBay" version?

--SKot

Another Transfer - I've done 4 of the 6 Holiday Special DVD's that are out there

RowMan - I do know that I got one from you but do you remember what staion it was from? (my brother and I have done 3 VHS transfers - and I forgot which one I got from you - was it the one with the wookies in the menu?)

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time
Originally posted by: SKot

--SKot

The version in the torrent was the "unauthorized white" and seems to be the most widely distributed. The "eBay" version was transferred from a much lower-gen source. It has a bunch of DVD-ROM stuff with promo images from the special and whatnot. As easter eggs, there's a newsclip about it and the original Kenner commercial that was aired with it. Here's some screencaps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/reverendbeastly/SWHS1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/reverendbeastly/SWHS2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/reverendbeastly/SWHS3.jpg

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: RowMan
I had been searching for a few years for the best quality version possible. A few months ago I sent Rikter a disc of the best one I have ever found. I think he made it into his latest Angrysun edition, but I'm not sure. Rik?

RowMan, I've been meaning to contact you, actually. I've been searching for the best quality version since the early 90s, and the version you have is in fact the best one I have ever seen. I give it about a 9 out of 10. Color and picture sharpness are superb, especially for a 25+ year old broadcast copy.

The previous version I had was very good, but the color was off and it had some minor flaws, making it about an 8.5 or so out of 10. Also, I have just noticed the beginning on that version has been cleverly edited, I assume to cover up a glitch at the start of the original tape.

The next version below that is the Angrysun edition I saw from a Torrent download. I'd say about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 on that one.

--SKot

Projects:

Author
Time
The "ebay" version as you call it is the best around. I believe it was transferred from a stolen TV studio broadcast tape, which is why it looks so good.
Author
Time
Funny you should mention betamax, as I recently aqquired a mysterious old beta tape with a homemade Star Wars label, and I won't know what's on it until I get a deck later in the week! I see quite a few batches of home recorded beta tapes on ebay these days, but the sellers usually dodge the matter of what could be on them for fear ebay will kill the auction for selling bootleg material.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
Rikter,

I don't know the station ID from the station it was recorded, but the Holiday Special I sent you has a pic of the wookie family on it with the following text in the main menu:

The 1978 Holiday Special >PLAY MOVIE
Boba Fett Cartoon Excerpt >PLAY CARTOON
Attack of the Clones >PLAY TRAILER
Kenner Toys Ad >PLAY COMMERCIAL

SKot,

Just PM me and we can arrange to get you a copy.
Author
Time
The Holiday Special I uploaded as a torrent is my first transfer (my brother really) - here are the details...

I transfered this myself with by brothers help using a PC (Intel 800mhz) with an AllinWonder 128 video card (PCI) from a Panasonic VHS player (nothing fancy - since broke and thrown away) using Monster Composite cables (RCA , Yellow, Red White), TMPGenc 5.10 was used for the MPEG2 encoding (standard CBR - no fancy 2nd pass) Authored with ULEAD DVD 1 - I botched the video settings importing the the commercials part of an SECOND H.S. VHS tape (same broadcast but a 10th gen copy!!) and they did not come out full screen! (DOH) - The ORIGINAL also included a DVD-rom folder with a ton of extras and the printable covers (a remix of one of the covers from the prilliman website) it also featured my remix CD in MP3 format and a cover also plus my NFO's. (menu art was Chewies house )

The Star Wars Holiday Special - V.1 - “eBay” - Angrysun Release
- Angrysun Release BLAK0001
- 1 DVDr - Fan Preservation/Compilation
- Source - 2nd generation VHS recording of OTA from KCMO Channel 5 Kansas City, Missouri
- Interactive Menu
- Custom Cover Art available

Features
* The Muppets Episode - sourced from SVCD copy (napster r.i.p.)
* Vintage Star Wars Television Trailers from my VHS transfer
* The Kenner Toy Commercial Collection (not Fullscreen)

These are eJackers selling my first DVD that I uploaded...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6389643879&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6390971817&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2475&item=5971742847&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6390913429&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted it for free but so many have profited from it - THIS has also happened to Dr. Gonzo's OT transfers (ejackers have made MILLIONS from Dr. G's set!!) and Cowclops original transfer (sold by TR47)

I can get this to ANYONE for a VERY small donation - Screw those ejackers I'm the original creator - I never ment for this to be sold for profit (that's why I uploaded it was for fans to get it for free!!) people are getting swindled paying $30!

THE second "unauthorized white" version was done with the a transfer that I got from Rowman (the second and better version then mine that is on eBay now also - has wookies in the menu, isolated cartoon segment and a single Kenner ad with R2 and 3PO) - I just redid the menus to match the menus for my other releases (white menus - I have matching DVD cover/menu art for all of them )) - and added a rare FOX NEWS clip abouth the anniversary of the H.S. - I have given a few copies of this one away to forum members (in trades and what nots) ReverendBeastly included in this run ( me thinks )... but this one has never been uploaded.

THE FINAL and second version "unauthorized white" version was made from the VERY same "KCCI" Broadcast tape from above (WHICH is really a BETA tape > VHS transfer > DVD - I've seen a REAL life BETA tape at Celebration I when I was there)

- This version was sold on eBay by both my brothers for $9.99 for a limited time (the auctions also came with instructions to get them via the torrents and the OT forums for free, trade or a few bucks - and my email address was included) it also includes a big fat DVD-rom folder with my NFO and a TON of stuff - BUT my brother was reported and shut down for selling MY Datsun DVD's which is ODD that it was NOT the Holiday Special but the Datsun DVD's EVEN stranger is the fact that this syncs up with every post I made about profiteer[s] here on these very forums hmmmmmm.....

I have also burned about 20 copies for people that have emailed me about this disc (you still can!!) - SO I can say between Al, P-Dogg and myself we have done about 45 DVD's total between trades,ebay and giving them out but this one has never been uploaded either..

The Star Wars Holiday Special - KCCI - Angrysun Release
Newer Transfer with Higher Quality
- Angrysun Release BLAK0016
- Source - alleged 1st generation “broadcast” tape from KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Iowa
- Includes: Rare FOX NEWS clip + Kenner Toy Commercial with C-3PO and R2-D2
- NEW DVD-rom features including script, mp3's and more!
- Custom Cover Art

Tech Specs
- 4.30gigs
- Interactive Menu
- Runtime: 1:37:54
- Video: 3.56 Mbps (average bitrate)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 256 Kbps

I hope this clears up the confusion on my many ANGRYSUN VERSIONS of the Holiday Special

NOW, I also have a third version (hahahahaha) of the H.S. - I HAD NOTHING to do with this one at all but came from another trade..

NEW –
The Star Wars Holiday Special - WMAR - “Unknown” Release
Includes ALL vintage commercials that aired during the HS!!
- Source - 2nd generation VHS recording of OTA from WMAR Channel 2 Baltimore, Maryland
- No Menu

Want one?

Just email me for details

- RiK

Author
Time

I believe I have this one. I bought it from an ebayer some time before finding this wonderful forum.

The cover is white, with a drawing of the wookie family on the front and a big Angrysun logo on the background of the back side.

The menu also presents the same wookie drawing and there is a C3PO+R2 commercial and a strange hidden clip.

The quality is superb. The ebay seller hosted a DVD quality sample to download and check the quality before buying. I hope it was your brother, Rik, or I gave 14$ (I think it was around that price) to the wrong guy.
Author
Time
Rikter, although you haven't uploaded it yourself, I think it was your KCCI version which D.O. posted to alt.binaries.starwars. It's in wide circulation now. No doubt some of the eJackers got it from usenet.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
Darth Osor ov the "House Blaksvn" did that huh...

NOW - I remember him mentioning something about that when I had that sinus infection a while back - HECK hey then!

Thanks Osor for posting another fine ass Blaksvn release on the alt.hoobiedoobie.newsgroup.thingies

WORD TO THE SPOOKIES!

now off topic (but only kinda) -

Regulars here know that I've always been against profanity and bad talk so please forgive me for this...

To all you eJackers out there - YOU all smoke DIRTY chongo, You Frelling Bastich's!!

Author
Time
"Chongo"?

[EDIT] Did I just cuss?

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
BUT my brother was reported and shut down for selling MY Datsun DVD's which is ODD that it was NOT the Holiday Special but the Datsun DVD's EVEN stranger is the fact that this syncs up with every post I made about profiteer[s] here on these very forums hmmmmmm.....

da da dum doo...people are strange...when you're a stranger...when you're stranger...when you're alone. When you're strange...
Author
Time
Hey Rik, is the WMAR version of the SWHS with the commercials the version that has the mysterious "Fighting the Frizzies" spot? Or did it come from the other airing in circulation?

Author
Time
Hey Rik, is the WMAR version of the SWHS with the commercials the version that has the mysterious "Fighting the Frizzies" spot? Or did it come from the other airing in circulation?

This is the only H.S. that I have not yet watched (you can only take SO much H.S. in one life!) - hit me up with your addy and I will get you a copy buddy!

RiK

Author
Time
Originally posted by: JED

I believe I have this one. I bought it from an ebayer some time before finding this wonderful forum.

The cover is white, with a drawing of the wookie family on the front and a big Angrysun logo on the background of the back side.

The menu also presents the same wookie drawing and there is a C3PO+R2 commercial and a strange hidden clip.

The quality is superb. The ebay seller hosted a DVD quality sample to download and check the quality before buying. I hope it was your brother, Rik, or I gave 14$ (I think it was around that price) to the wrong guy.

YEP - YOU GOT one!!

That was Alien (Alan ) - I hope you feel okay about what you got (I made him start including my information and links to the forums)

Author
Time
I'm finally back to the forums. My computer screwed the pooch hard over a month ago.

Rik, I did post your HS vol3 (KCCI) to a.b.starwars a couple of months back. Folks went nuts for it...there are still almost daily requests for it. As far as it showing up on ebay, I've been policing it strongly seeing how I let the proverbial "cat out the bag" (even when I was computer-less I had access to one at work). I've seen 5 definite instances of the KCCI version show up on ebay and I got them all booted for their trouble.

Glad to be back gang...you'll be hearing more from me.

I've been working on my "Dark Jedi" costume...
The Dark One In Costume

Skip
aka Ridder Moordenaar
(the geek formerly known as "Darth Osor")

"Word to the Spookies!"

Off-topic:
I'm posting the Dr. Gonzo OT (including the extras disc and the 2 making-ofs) over at a.b.starwars right now.

I saw today on ebay that some bitch is getting over $188 for the gonzo trilogy...that's just wrong!
$188 Gonzo OT
¤ The Dark One In Costume ¤

...at last we shall have revenge...
Author
Time
Originally posted by: The Dark OneOff-topic:
I'm posting the Dr. Gonzo OT (including the extras disc and the 2 making-ofs) over at a.b.starwars right now.

I saw today on ebay that some bitch is getting over $188 for the gonzo trilogy...that's just wrong!
$188 Gonzo OT

Ah Ha! So YOU'RE the one!

Found out about this on Friday....finished downloading it on Saturday....burned it onto a disc and when I started watching it, I discovered I ALREADY had it [though I paid $$ for it ]. So, I thought i'd post a Thank You on here for posting it even if I don't need it.

I don't post here much [I need to do my best to balance the 'net and the "real world", dammit], but I do occasionally lurk. Trying to keep up with all these different versions of the OT is mindblowing [especially since I have a SEVERE case of ADD...self-diagnosed, of course ]. And trying to find them is just as hard [without paying, like I did ]...but, with the looming release date of Episode III, I find myself feeling nostalgic about the OT and am trying to bulk up my collection [for "Archival" purposes, at least ].

So...what did I come in here for? Oh yeah! I picked up a copy of the Holiday Special at a comic book store a few years ago that has MINT PQ and sound. I'm going to try to post a sample and see what the experts on the site think. I'll hopefully have it up by the end of the week.

Keep up the good work, guys.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: rogue588

So...what did I come in here for? Oh yeah! I picked up a copy of the Holiday Special at a comic book store a few years ago that has MINT PQ and sound. I'm going to try to post a sample and see what the experts on the site think. I'll hopefully have it up by the end of the week.

Keep up the good work, guys.

So you're saying this copy you picked up is better than the very vivid KCCI Angrysun version that's now floating around? What format is this copy on, tape or DVD?

This Holiday Special expert is definitely interested in hearing more on this finding.

--SKot

Projects:

Author
Time
That was Alien (Alan ) - I hope you feel okay about what you got

I got exactly what was advertised. The quality was what I expected (the only time I've seen a downloadable .VOB file to check the quality) and it had a lot of DVD-Rom extras. I ordered it through a friend's eBay account. Great item.
Author
Time
Looks like Mr. DirkSteele is at it again. The price is up to $80 already. Time to do some reporting. Let's hope it works.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdirkQ2dsteele

Edit: eBay sure makes it nearly impossible to report someone. How is it done?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: geekzapoppin
Looks like Mr. DirkSteele is at it again. The price is up to $80 already. Time to do some reporting. Let's hope it works.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdirkQ2dsteele

Edit: eBay sure makes it nearly impossible to report someone. How is it done?

Why bother - take him down and 2 others replace him - BEING someone’s whose DVD's are just about a mainstay on eBay now ( My Holiday Special with Muppets and ads + DVD-rom that has MY album on it, The Casting auctions and a few others)

I've tried to shut them down a billion times but it's like killing cockroaches with a feather

Dr. Gonzo is included and has most likely created one of the most famous versions of the OT DVD’s - eJackers have made TONS from his WONDERFUL transfer

We’ve had a few threads about this here and at MYSPLEEN.com; where I have uploaded 28 Star Wars torrents and about 10 (1 DVD, and a bunch of VCD’s ) on Napster way back when (r.i.p.) - inadvertently I’ve been the source for most of these eJackers either via my uploads.

Let them be man - and please understand that you will only find yourself getting furious over something that WE have NO control over…

THAT and I've really come to the conclusion that there are SO MANY fans that want the ORIGINAL Trilogy and sadly eBay is their only source and by shutting the auctions not only do we artificially inflate the prices of the remaining sets (by diminishing the “market”) we create a feverish frenzy of bidding that will only FORCE the prices hit up to $200 for 4 simple DVD-r discs.

I mean if the only way YOU could get the Original Trilogy was eBay (NOT every fan is as tech savvy as forum members nor do they have broadband – PLEASE keep this in mind now) and after looking at EVERY Comic book and Collectable shops in your town to find a DVD copy. You might be forced to buy the DVD’s on eBay – then the bidding starts…. Prices soar

(Expletive Deleted) WE as fans are insane and YOU know this…

I’ve seen SW fans fistfight over toys (Wal-Mart) and I’ve even seen a Star Wars mugging at Celebration I in Denver - A group of… well there is no soft way to put this so screw the sugar coating… NERDY fans got jacked by some tougher “skater/punkish” guys…

MAN, imagine getting jacket for a bag of SW swag and a few autographs.

I’ve seen a Star Wars DVD set sell for $500 once in 1999 and the seller got the best feedback I’ve ever seen.

EVEN I paid $200 for my first Asian bootlegs back in 1999 - after that I got a PC then soon DSL next thing you know here we are.

eBay works on the bidding and buy-it-now system so when it’s all said and done it is the BIDDERS that pay the price THEY choose to pay – the bidder is NEVER forced to pay he chooses that as a FAN – So in some sick way by reporting the auctions and getting them shut-down WE are denying a FAN his or her memories of the OT… the way WE all remember it that is.

THE only way to fight this is to post our own auctions for a few bucks a disc. THIS will force the prices down fast – BUT I’ve tried this and I always get reported buy the eJackers as I cut DEEPLY into their pockets… (you know who you are) NEXT thing you know they report all of your auctions (including car parts!?!) and YOU get shut down and they continue to sell.

So post a few auctions and ask a few bucks a DVD (a fair price that you yourself would pay) – THIS will fight the eJackers and also help a fellow fan get the films for a few bucks VS. $100 - Help others achieve their collecting goals for the sake of the hobby, not just for the sake of profit. I upload the movies and I trade ("Do, or do not. There is no try.") the best way to fight these eJackers is to copy, trade, give away or hook people up for a few bucks - I tried the free thing for a while (Blanks and postage for burns) but getting stuck burning DVD’s at 1 and 2x (at the time that was as fast as DVD writers wrote) every day is not conducive to having a family (not at ALL) so I started to trade instead

Dang gang, sorry I didn’t mean to ramble but this whole eBay sellers thing has me perplexed.