Ah you’re right about R2 RogueLeader, I hadn’t considered that. Yeah, as far as R2 knows Obi-Wan killed Anakin. It would be simpler if Bail mind wiped both droids, maybe the line in ep3 could be cut to “have the | droid’s mind wiped”. That scene always seemed off to me, and I think it’s because of the all the problems you mention. It’s a bit sad for R2 but makes sense, and there’s no reason why R2 couldn’t recover some of the data, or store it in an internal backup or something. Adding this also makes the later Rebels treatment of droids more interesting, presumably Leia or Luke never memory wiped R2 or 3PO, and Poe will never memory wipe BB8, so this shows a stronger difference between the heroes of the PT (specifically Padme, Bail, and Mon Mothma) to the OT and ST. Here’s a demo of the cut: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BI31_EiMWySxUqzQ3BscwFxwLo8NmuWv would probably need to change the beeps so that it doesn’t sound like R2 is laughing.
On Sifo-Dyas in Obi-Wan’s detective subplot, my view is that Dooku and the Separatists are a red herring for this subplot, as Jango and Sifo-Dyas are the leads that the Jedi needed to track down (but Windu kills Jango so there’s that). In some ways I think removing the line where the President of Kamino says that the army was (specifically intended by Sifo-Dyas) for the Republic improves things here, as it makes Sifo-Dyas’ intentions unknown, and so makes his prior death simply a lead that wasn’t followed up on. About the scene itself, although it’s IMO one of the worst uses of CGI in the PT, I find that Obi-Wan’s dialogue is mostly fine, as he’s in a sort of undercover detective mode here, which could explain why he didn’t ask more prying questions about Sifo-Dyas. The dialogue scene between Jango and Obi-Wan could also be trimmed, depending on our views on Darth Tyranus.
With Chewbacca in ep3, it could be an idea to wait until the Solo film is out, as it will be interesting to see if they add any details about Chewbacca’s backstory there. One of the main things indicating that it’s Chewbacca is the bandoleer, so maybe it would be enough to remove that? Though I’m all for making him a silver Wookiee if it can be done well. For me the problem isn’t that Chewbacca is in ep3, what bothers me is that it seems like he’s best friends with Yoda, which is a ridiculous coincidence.
Also, on PT lightsaber colours, it’s not really an obvious contradiction (it could maybe be considered a thematic contradiction) but I’m opposed to Anakin using a green lightsaber in ep2 (even if it’s not his personal saber). My view is that, between Anakin and Luke, only Luke should use a green saber, because to me it represents the fulfillment of Luke’s character as a new hope and as the return of the Jedi in the OT. So I’d have it as Anakin transitioning from blue to red, and Luke transitioning from blue to green (will be interesting to see what colour Rey’s saber is in ep9). What are people’s thoughts on changing Anakin’s temporary lightsaber in this way? I’m obviously for it, but it might not be worth the work required.
About the Ewok’s in the ep6 final battle, the overly cute or silly battle scenes can be cut easily enough, it’s just a question of which shots we want to remove. Also, as Adywan is likely cooking up some interesting shots for the final battle, it may be best to wait and see what he comes up with before cutting into this part of ep6.
Here are links to some relevant cuts. I’d made these for myself anyway, so thought I’d organise them and post the relevant bits here. Some of the cuts need work (particularly on the audio side), but they should give an idea of what they’re about. Not all of the cuts may end up being relevant for this project, but it’ll be interesting to hear what you all think of them regardless. Here’s a link to the folder with all the demo scenes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gHgVquApxRDBhGCbtOA3qKPriJHvc7ME
OT, incest subplot:
- ep4, cut Luke’s line “she’s beautiful”: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VBKmnRS3bDMrubJIsKIzXxRNnatXXK1f
- ep4, cut Han making fun of Luke for being attracted to Leia: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V5V1_12YONR38JCKtGKRPvMR4zW_EOCL
- ep5, cut the kiss between Luke and Leia: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ymcg-s4ZVjaf0VReasSJDuCSn_9JVbIl
- ep6, cut Leia being hysterical and Han being suspicious: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16idNOzZj7P-wqjeNNHyD8T6gD0rx7Tsd
- ep6, cut Han being suspicious of Leia and Luke again, I also cut their two kisses into one here, as it seemed like an odd moment: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t8nypihJNNqRVVpNzhgODId43016QR-X
OT, Obi-Wan deception plot:
- ep4, “I never seem to remember owning a droid” has been cut, I couldn’t figure out a seamless way to trim the “I haven’t gone by the name of Obi-Wan since oh, before you were born” line so have left it as is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wdB5l8eKfChkhVyWESpDI2ymUUCYTJgB
- ep4, “He [Owen] feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade, like your father did", cut “like your father did”: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zPBkXtLBnnJNk5VYTGbwiqXtgx3c07t6
- ep4, “Now, let’s see if we can figure out what you are, my little friend, and where you come from”, the words “what you are / and” have been cut: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IT09tdxP_8fzsPoeIw1_iy0g9dVUSi1S
- ep6, Dagobah sequence, I’ve uploaded the almost all of the sequence on Dagobah, as some of Yoda’s lines were also cut: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15uDS2HzWB47VaESu83RlvU6v5yuGcmwl Yoda doesn’t mention another Skywalker, so Obi-Wan tells Luke about Leia without being prompted. Here, the following lines have been cut, “Obi-Wan: ‘Then the Emperor has already won, you were are only hope.’ Luke: Yoda spoke of another?’ Obi-Wan: ‘The other he spoke of is your twin sister.’ Luke: ‘But I have no sister.’” Obi-Wan’s infamous “point of view” bit has been trimmed, and now reads as “…he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader, when that happened the good man who was your father was destroyed. (Here the lines “Obi-Wan: ‘So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.’ Luke: ‘A certain point of view?’” have been cut) You’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. So what I told you was true (this line has been moved here from the cut section). When I first knew him…” Here I have attempted to portray Obi-Wan as saying all truths exist from a particular point of view, not what I said was true from a particular point of view. Hopefully Obi-Wan seems more dejected about how things turned out with Vader, and isn’t trying to avoid responsibility for having deceived Luke.
- Luke tells Leia about Vader, cut Leia’s line “your father?” Not a big cut but makes the dialogue run smoother, and fits better with when Leia says she’s always known they were siblings: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cp-b_lxv-xww-4HejaXOY_uZeo7CdfkJ
- Vader’s incorrect reference of Obi-Wan, as I’d already made this cut. I’m in full support of the “your mother” addition if it works well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=178bYoQGyu9P3MF3BkGlJji8CP1IjoClC
- No Anakin force ghost (the final “family photo” shot is also removed): https://drive.google.com/open?id=14vmlzckAawbv17IzL2-RoyUI6tBRzhyc
ST, clone stormtrooper retcon:
- ep7, cut Kylo saying that stormtroopers aren’t clones anymore: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YWqGpPI8hdU2MoI-mb1UG67tB4kc601S
- ep7, Finn’s confession, cut part of the line stating that he was taken from a family he’ll never know: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zjau_bLbJRb7KjGt7oLEMLr6tXWJfE6C
- ep8, trimmed megadestroyer infiltration deleted scene, shots with unfinished vfx have been cut: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H7SytA-X1sszX3xD7sp0MP_v4lTfKIOg
- Hyperspace kamikaze scene, cut over powered destruction of secondary/supporting FO star destroyers. It was a great moment in the theatre, but the more I rewatch ep8 the more it’ll annoy me: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pg8q9gGW_KtmEW8rKTZ7qLx5vFZqeMtp