logo Sign In

The Forum Fights Back Against My Train Wreck Thread OP

Author
Time

I've come up against this forum 'limitation' recently myself when I went to 'preview'/'save' something I'm currently drafting up.

I ended up having to delete some of the sentences in my lengthy draft until it went below the maximum 64000 characters limitation, and then saved that....before just continuing to draft up a second post to incorporate what I'd deleted in the first one.

When I'm ready, I'll just have to post one after the other, it seems.

Unless Jay suggests otherwise, you may have to do the same Frink.

Author
Time

Thanks IF, but if I've understood what you're suggesting, it won't work.  I need everything in the OP because there are already several pages of posts following the OP.

I suppose I could start a new thread.

I don't think there is anywhere close to 64,000 words in that OP, but there are a ton of links.  Is it possible the text that is linked counts against the limit?  Not the text that makes up the link in my OP, but the text that you see when you follow the link, if you get my drift.

Author
Time

Several other pages of posts in the way is indeed a problem, lol.

Rather than starting a similar thread though, perhaps you can draft up your latest additional stuff seperately....and post it immediately after reposting your original info., which you could just 'reply with quote' from your original post.

Just an alternative to consider.

By the way, my 'limited' posts also involved a heap of links too, as my word count was certainly nowhere near the 64000 character limit.

Author
Time

If you look at the HTML source, something appears to have corrupted your links when you've carried out your edits. The same section of text is repeated multiple times so each link is way longer than it should be. The first one alone, for example, comes to about 4500 characters.

It may be fixable if you open the post editor, use ctrl-A to select everything, copy into a plain text editor like Windows Notepad that will strip out all the HTML, then paste back into the forum overwriting the old post.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

It worked.

I have to paste in pieces if I want to use quote boxes, and I have to some manual editing, but it worked.

Thanks again.

Author
Time

Hurray for triple posts!

Can someone look into what causes this?  Copy/paste to/from notpad (or wordpad) works but then requires a lot of reformatting.  This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that when I was nearly donw reformatting, it happened again, and I gave up rather than starting all over.

Thanks.

Author
Time

Have you tried going into your preferences and opting to use the plain text post editor instead?

Author
Time

Why would I do that?  It might actually work ;-)

I'll give it a try.

Author
Time

Ugh.  I have to say I hate the plain text editor.  Especially because I can't do quote boxes, which I was trying to do in order to make the separate lists easier on the eyes.

Oh well.  I don't want to make too big of a deal about this.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Testing:

Url 1

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/The-Forum-Fights-Back-Against-My-Train-Wreck-Thread-OP/topic/11286/

(371 characters)

Url 2

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/The-Forum-Fights-Back-Against-My-Train-Wreck-Thread-OP/topic/11286/

(496 characters)

Url 3

The Forum Fights Back Against My Train Wreck Thread OP

(187 characters)

Author
Time

After one post edit, URL 1 is now 624 characters, URL 2 is 749, and URL 3 is unaffected and remains at 187.

So confirmed as a bug in the software when using urls for link text. A workaround is to use the form shown in URL 3.

Author
Time

I had never noticed that plain text editor option before. I thought that old thing was long gone, so happy to see it again! It is like being reunited with an old friend.

That text editor and I are going to have many great times together to come.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

*sigh*

Ok, so I switched back to plain text editor temporarily to try some editing, because I was having all sorts of spacing issues as I tried to change the link titles. When I did this, I could see the character limit problem, because for each link, the html was repeated many multiple times. Removing all the duplicate html fixed that problem. But I'm sure I messed up a tag somewhere - take a look at how the OP looks now. You can see all the html. Problem is I can't find the mistake, and also I don't actually know what the format is supposed to be because I'm not used to working in HTML.

If I have to, I guess I'll switch back to advanced editor and retype from scratch. But would you mind taking a quick glance and see if you can tell what the problem is now?

Sorry to be such a pain. Thanks.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm completely baffled now. I left my preferences set to plain text, and tried to quote a picture someone else posted in a different thread. I can see the original fine, but my quote looks like this:

FanFiltration said:
http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/aor2.75hb.jpg" width="285" height="432" />

How about The San Francisco Mime Troupe?

I didn't change the html at all. Also, when I do this same exercise with my preferences set to advanced editor, the quote works fine.

???

EDIT: Here's the exact same quote with the advanced editor turned on.

FanFiltration said:

How about The San Francisco Mime Troupe?

I think I broke the internets.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Never mind - I'm still learning how the plain text editor works (don't type html tags, for instance, or remove them if they show up). I think I have it sorted now.

Author
Time

New problem.

I'm on a public computer using IE 8.0.  With a plain text editor, I make an edit to the OP.  I post it, and it shows up fine.  I then go to make another edit, and the first edit has not been saved, despite it showing up when I first posted it.  If I go to the OP again, the edit is gone.

?

Normally I use Firefox and this has not been an issue.

Author
Time

Yeah, Frink, trying clearing your history first.

nvm

Author
Time

The editor...needs work. The switch in your profile is there if it gives you problems. Pasting content from Word is the surest way to break it. I've tried enabling the functions in the editor that are supposed to clean up the garbage, but they don't seem to work consistently. The next step is for me to clean it up manually, and that would be a sizable undertaking.

I wasn't aware that link HTML was being generated multiple times though. The editor is generating a series of anchors embedded within one another, which is odd. I've placed this at the top of the bug list.

Forum Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time

Thanks Jay, I missed your reply until now.

I've figured out how best to get around my issue for now.  I temporarily switch to plain editor, make my edits, save, and then switch back to advanced editor.  It's been working fine, but it will be great if I don't have to make that switch back and forth.