The Force Awakens is by far my favorite film in the sequel trilogy and I have always wished I could end my Star Wars viewings on such a high note. This fanedit seeks to accomplish the same goals as my “TLJ - ‘The End’ Edition” edit, but this time with The Force Awakens being treated as an epilogue to the saga. The edit is still in progress but I have the skeleton of the film completed and it’s looking promising. Thus far, the changes are as follows:
- New crawl, establishing Kylo Ren as the leader of the First Order and doing away with the episode number. Instead, the film will be an “epilogue”
- Remove Snoke entirely. All references to him are gone from the film.
- Remove a few references to Rey’s parents that draw too much attention to their identity
- Kylo Ren now tells Hux “perhaps I should consider using a Clone Army”. I really like that line 😛
- Move Kylo/Rey interrogation to just after Han’s “I saw our son”, which acts as the reveal of Kylo’s parentage. I think it’s a good transition
- Finn dies in his duel with Kylo Ren
- Kylo Ren dies in his duel with Rey
- Use HAL9000’S color corrected Ach-to scenes from TFA
- When Rey finds Luke, the film doesn’t end. He gives the lightsaber back and goes to mourn Han
- Luke’s character is less grumpy and more sad due to the loss of his friend and his failure with Kylo
- Luke’s first line of dialogue in the film is “Who are you?” in the tree scene. He rejects Rey but does not have dialogue about wanting to die.
- Finally, Yoda is the one to get through to him. Luke goes to burn the tree and Yoda convinces him to train Rey. We fade to black on the wide shot of the two old Jedi.
- Fade in and Luke has begun training her. The film ends on a training montage. Currently, this mimics JXEditor’s wonderful montage on Youtube, but with different music.
The ending is proving to be the most difficult part of the film to get right. I have put together this VERY ROUGH proof of concept. I believe the idea is there but I am still going back and forth and which individual moments to keep or cut.
Ending Including R2 Scene:
Ending Without R2 Scene:
Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!