Full series review in line with project goals; No edits yet produced
WHAT IS THIS?
Many Clone Wars edits to date have edited the TV show into movies focusing on one or two major arcs - but I respectfully believe almost the opposite approach is needed. Inspired by the enjoyability of the Mandalorian TV show, The Clone Wars: Refocused is going to present the most important and most enjoyable elements of the entire Clone Wars as a series of TV length episodes, refined and reordered to maximise enjoyment, both as its own story, and for those seeking a supplement to new canon like the Mandalorian.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
- MANDALORIAN fans will enjoy a strong focus on Ahsoka Tano and Mandalorian culture throughout, the journey of the Darksaber, some important development for Boba Fett, and an exploration of Sidious’ interest in force sensitive younglings - I’m making a ‘Mandalorian cut’ just for you!
- PREQUEL fans will enjoy a deeper exploration of Order 66 and Anakin’s fall, new layers to Obi-Wan, and the shades of grey and introduction of third parties which make this predictable two-faction conflict anything but.
- WIDER CANON fans will enjoy the constant threat of Darth Maul, and closer looks at Saw Gerrera, Moff Tarkin, all your favourite bounty hunters and the force itself, and a deep exploration of Clone identity and culture, including Delta Squad and the Bad Batch (soon to have their own TV series)
- Fans of goofy humour, villains losing their menace, and the bland CG of the early seasons will regretfully find themselves poorly served by this edit, since there will be some limited removal of episodes which are both not important and hard to enjoy. (Justification can be found in the first few pages of this thread, though I welcome your input.)
WHAT ARE THE PROJECT’S PRIORITIES?
Importantly, I want quality of experience to be the most important metric. Inspired by the Mandalorian, episodes will be as long- or as short- as they need to be, in order to pace each story in the best possible way to enjoy the most emotionally resonant and exciting moments without filler or cringe. Similarly, the show as a whole will present the episodes in a new, more compelling order - which doesn’t break canon - but which gives the best pacing and variety, while allowing some of the more important elements of the show to remain in focus, building in anticipation and excitement over time.
HOW WILL YOU ACHIEVE THIS?
- Engage with the community throughout, to gain insight and ideas, and to challenge and validate my own assumptions and decisions.
- Review all episodes in chronological order, identifying where episodes can be grouped into arcs (representing events, not locations or characters in particular), and categorising them as either VITAL, IMPORTANT, DESIRABLE (i.e. top tier fantastic), EXCLUDABLE (i.e. skippable - the remainder), or OBJECTIONABLE (get rid altogether).
- Reorder the whole, first to emphasise the core plotline (Maul and Mandalore), then to pace and vary the rest, ensuring no continuity is broken. (You’ll be able to basically start watching from here if you want to - a lot of this project will just be presenting the whole in a different way.)
- Present the reordered whole in an easy-to-understand way for four audiences: Those wanting context for the Mandalorian, those wanting the most high-quality TV show they can, those wanting the most content that ties to existing continuity, and those wanting as much Star Wars as possible.
- Establish a set of standards for presenting episodes themselves, with titles and credits evocative of quality, and produce the basic aggregated form of each new episode.
- Produce edits in priority order. These will be where merely watching the whole in the new order would incorporate a mandatory-but-low-quality episode, or an episode which was somehow be broken by the reordering. Some of this may require butchering less important episodes ‘for parts’. The first episode will be a major one of these, introducing our key characters and focusing our attention on the forthcoming key plot.
HOW ARE YOU PRESENTING THE CONTENT FOR EACH AUDIENCE?
I’m producing four cuts, really four curated lists, to direct viewers to episodes which give them the experience they’re looking for.
WHAT SOURCES WILL YOU USE?
The project will incorporate the highest quality available versions (including AI upscaled and regraded) of the majority of the Clone Wars CG series, the ‘Crystal Crisis’ unfinished episode, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars 2D microseries, and the Son of Dathomir Audio Comic (which is necessary to a core plotline, but presented well).
CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
Please contribute however you like - up to and including editing! In this thread, I try to braindump as much as possible, in order to involve others in the process and for the interest of potential faneditors. If you’re interested in the history of this project I urge you to read through to see the thought processes involved - please feel free to dig any up to challenge any of them! The original first post, including the idea which a few of the posters below are responding to, can be found here: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/the-clone-wars-best-of-both-worlds-a-different-approach/id/80467/page/7#1388992
WHERE’S THE TRACKER?
(This post used to feature a progress tracker / chronological ordering. I’ve moved it to a master document to save space - PM me for a link)