Sign In

Wookie Groomer HDTV

Author
Time
Can Star Wars related posts be any more beaten to death? Not if they're in High Definition!

There were originally 3 broadcasts of the original Star Wars Trilogy on
cable/satellite. One in German 1080i 25 fps PAL and 2 channel stereo in H.264 format, one on United States Cinemax 1080i 5.1 NTSC MPG2 format and the third British Sky Broadcasting again with 25fps PAL, 5.1 sound in H.264 format.

The German release was generally considered to be of reference quality and had such fine detail in the image it was the best viewing of the trilogy ever before witnessed at home. A New Hope had very minor glitches, Empire and Jedi had noticeably more glitches but couldn't detract from the overall amazing visual quality.

The British Sky Broadcasting version was very very good but suffered from a softened (still detailed) image due to heavy filtering and de-blocking making it a mediocre but generally satisfactory edition for those that wanted the English opening crawl, English subtitled scenes, 5.1 sound and to be glitch free.

The United States Cinemax version in normal tradition of most US broadcasts had an obscene amount of blocking, low bitrate and glitches making it the poorest HD broadcast of them all. But standard viewing to subscribers not knowing any better.

What I have done here:

I took the superior German H.264 picture quality edition originally posted by "Born In A Skip" (THANK YOU!!!), edited in the English opening crawl and subtitled Greedo and Jabba scenes from the Sky broadcasting H.264 originally posted by 'BK (THANK YOU TOO!!!!), time adjusted to 23.976 fps for NTSC, used the high quality 5.1 AC3 from the New Hope DVD and made what should be the most definitive 1080P High Definition version available. In some ways, I spent the time doing this so the official retail version would be announced making my efforts all worth nothing

Encoded in Advanced Profile WMV-HD VC1
Remaining 6 movie saga may follow, stay tuned my little Ewoks…


Find this at our fave newsgroup............

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss..........

Author
Time
Oh god, I want it
Would it be possible as a torrent ?
Author
Time
Doesnt seem to be completely uploaded.

Anyway heres a link to binsearch so you can make a NZB

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=star+wars&max=25&adv_age=7&server=
Author
Time
Originally posted by: pittrek
Oh god, I want it
Would it be possible as a torrent ?
How badly do you want it???
US$25 for 90Go from astraweb.com isn't very expensive.
That'll get you WookieGroomer's saga with lots of Go's left to spare.
And those unused Go's don't expire at the end of the month. They remain in your account forever . . . even until the X0 project is finished

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
What's a Go? Does it need adding to the acronym buster?

Thanks for the heads up, Russ. Now, who's volunteering to grab this, apply colour-correction, replace the SE portions with upscaled GOUT/LD video, and sync with Belbucus' audio?

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
Or $4.25p/m for 20gbs from 100proofnews.com . They have three servers to choose from so speeds should be pretty good for everyone. A East Coast,West Coast & Europe server

Pros:
Cheap
Ok speeds 500-600kb/s
10 threads
Pretty good retention 60+(downloaded stuff that was 80 days old)

Cons:
No useage meter
Author
Time
Yes, $4.25/month is cheap, and there are other cheap plans too. I mentioned Astraweb not because I work for them (I don't)
but because theirs is the only pricing scheme I've found where unused credits never expire. So a single payment now will get you
things that haven't been released yet like X0, Belbucus' mono, re-posts of Belbucus' earlier work (hint), etc.


I thought Go is what Frenchmen call gigabyte. After all, theirs is the international language of scientific acronyms.
The metric system of weights & measures (S.I.) is a French acronym.
The "international time zone" (U.T.C.) is a French acronym--sorry Greenwich dwellers you've been pwned.
I think the "o" stands for octet, a more generic term for any collection of eight bits, which might or might not represent a byte.


Somebody slightly less ambitious than Moth3r is recruiting (yet still more abitious than I) might volunteer to replace the 2004 audio with 5.1 AC3 ripped from '97SE laserdisc.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
How to get Newsgroups/Usenet/alt.binaries.starwars - Part 1 (a.k.a.What are these newsgroup things and how the hell do I get them???)

How to get Newsgroups/Usenet/alt.binaries.starwars - Part 2 (a.k.a.What on earth are NZB files and how do they help me???)

Hopefully these should help a few people get at those pesky newsgroup thingies.....

We had a convert just the other day looking for the Read Alongs using these very tutorials.

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss..........

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Moth3r
Now, who's volunteering to grab this, apply colour-correction, replace the SE portions with upscaled GOUT/LD video, and sync with Belbucus' audio?


one can only hope.....

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time
I have to thank and commend Wookiee Groomer for this release. I've only just crossed over to HD and have been busy downloading and viewing Science of Star Wars and Episodes II, IV, V & VI. I have the US versions of the movies, and yes, there is a lot of artifacting. I really look forward to the other movies being released this way.

Also, it was announced today that in the Spring of 2008, the BBC and ITV will launch FreeSat in the UK, incorporating HD channels. 8 months too late if there is going to be any shows celebrating the 30th anniversary this year (which so far, I know of none!)
Author
Time
Originally posted by: russs15
How to get Newsgroups/Usenet/alt.binaries.starwars - Part 1 (a.k.a.What are these newsgroup things and how the hell do I get them???)

How to get Newsgroups/Usenet/alt.binaries.starwars - Part 2 (a.k.a.What on earth are NZB files and how do they help me???)

Hopefully these should help a few people get at those pesky newsgroup thingies.....

We had a convert just the other day looking for the Read Alongs using these very tutorials.


Yes, it would be nice if my provider would have usenet access
Author
Time
Babyhum wrote:
too late if there is going to be any shows celebrating the 30th anniversary this year (which so far, I know of none!)


In the in the General SW Forum, there's a mention of a BBC's Channel 4 program called 'Bring Back Star Wars', also of note is for US people with "Reelz Channel" there's a program called "The Directors" on Lucas, for more Upcoming SWTV Thread.
none
Author
Time
Wow, thanks so much for making this available. Looks great, streaming from my Xbox360.
Is there any chance that someone made custom artwork for this release?

thanks,

Win
Author
Time
Originally posted by: winman42
Wow, thanks so much for making this available. Looks great, streaming from my Xbox360.
Is there any chance that someone made custom artwork for this release?

thanks,

Win


Custom Artwork? Why? You can't burn this as a playable DVD even for your xBox360 ( which is why your streaming) or can you? So if this is just going to reside as a file on your hard drive then why does it any artwork at all? Just curious....maybe I'm going to learn something here.....hopefully someone will know how to burn a WMVHD UDP1.5 compliant DVD and a player to play them in other than a xbox360 or a computer's DVD drive.....

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time
Thats exactly what i do. I burn it to DVD, and play it direct from the Xbox 360's drive.
I have dowloaded tons of wmv-HD encodes, and i burn them all to disc, so i dont
fill my HD. Its simple, i just burn to file with NERO, and it plays from the xbox drive,
or the pc drive. (you burn it as a dvdrom, and the xbox360 reads the file)

Win
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Wookie Groomer
...used the high quality 5.1 AC3 from the New Hope DVD...

That track is many things. "High quality" is not one of them.

Neil

Well at least the reversed surround channels have been addressed.

Author
Time
If the audio stream was based on the AC3 demuxed straight off the 2004 DVD with no modifications, is it reasonable to assume that the "corrected" audio from your disc mentioned in this thread would be of the same length?

Not sure about the use of WMV-HD VC1, though. Apparently the smart kids are now using x264/AC3 in mkv. Don't have a 360 myself, but might consider getting a DVI to HDMI cable just to see how this looks on a 32" LCD.


Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
"Apparently the smart kids are now using x264/AC3 in mkv"

Ok, now that's funny.

Russ15, do me a favor and stop posting my releases in this forum. My High Definition releases don't belong in here.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Wookie Groomer
"Apparently the smart kids are now using x264/AC3 in mkv"

Ok, now that's funny.

Russ15, do me a favor and stop posting my releases in this forum. My High Definition releases don't belong in here.


WG, may I ask then where to find your HD releases?

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Moth3r
If the audio stream was based on the AC3 demuxed straight off the 2004 DVD with no modifications, is it reasonable to assume that the "corrected" audio from your disc mentioned in this thread would be of the same length?

Not sure about the use of WMV-HD VC1, though. Apparently the smart kids are now using x264/AC3 in mkv. Don't have a 360 myself, but might consider getting a DVI to HDMI cable just to see how this looks on a 32" LCD.

I love x264/ac3 mkv files.
I watch them through my htpc.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Wookie Groomer
......do me a favor and stop posting my releases in this forum. My High Definition releases don't belong in here.



Consider it done. I am only trying to spread the word.........

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss..........

Author
Time
Originally posted by: winman42
Thats exactly what i do. I burn it to DVD, and play it direct from the Xbox 360's drive.
I have dowloaded tons of wmv-HD encodes, and i burn them all to disc, so i dont
fill my HD. Its simple, i just burn to file with NERO, and it plays from the xbox drive,
or the pc drive. (you burn it as a dvdrom, and the xbox360 reads the file)

Win



So does all this WMV-HD stuff, mean that I can't just burn this to a DVD and play it on my DVD Player?
Does this require an X-BOX 360?

Thanks
w

Author
Time
The WMV-HD file is being burned to dvd in DVDROM mode, so its just a file on a disc.
The xbox360 can read compatible files on disc, and play them. You couldnt play this
on a regular dvd players, because its not a properly formatted DVD. Unless of course
your dvd player can play WMV files. My Philips dvd player is able to play mpeg or avi
files burned in dvdrom mode, but NOT wmv files.

Win
Author
Time
Originally posted by: winman42
The WMV-HD file is being burned to dvd in DVDROM mode, so its just a file on a disc.
The xbox360 can read compatible files on disc, and play them. You couldnt play this
on a regular dvd players, because its not a properly formatted DVD. Unless of course
your dvd player can play WMV files. My Philips dvd player is able to play mpeg or avi
files burned in dvdrom mode, but NOT wmv files.

Win


Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
w

Author
Time
Originally posted by: vbangle
WG, may I ask then where to find your HD releases?
RTFT.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here