Sign In

The Terminator - Color Regrade [No Longer Available] — Page 2

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also, after the Terminator finds Sarah’s mother address in the notepad, during the shot where the Terminator walks in the corridor of his hotel holding his machine guns and passing by a black dude who says “what the hell” (or something like that), try and see if we see the Terminator shoes. Depending on the framing, I heard that Arnold was wearing snickers intead of the Terminator boots for that shot.

Author
Time

Yeah, my internet has ben slow-to-not working on and off for the past month now and I have no idea why. Doing that post actually took about 20 minutes because I had to wait till roughly 50 seconds of those videos loaded and I could hear. I researched about 5 videos and must’ve gotten them mixed up.

Also, another thing others have noted in the differences in the mono mixes is that you can hear the motorcycle Arnold is riding BEFORE we see him riding it right after the sex scene, while in others you don’t hear it till we see him. My old VHS copy is the former.

Author
Time

Dek Rollins said:

^I’m not sure what that’s all about, but in the first video you posted, there is no loud sound. It’s very quiet, and sounds like the same thump that occurs in the BD 5.1 mix. The second video sounds almost identical to the first, only it’s very slightly louder and more clangy.

Neither of the sounds presented in those videos are the same sound effect that is present in the original mono presented on LaserDisc (the 2.1 mono source that kk650 included with his release). That mix has a loud clang that is a little more obvious that it’s a dubbed sound effect. It sounds nothing like those videos.

EDIT: Here, I found a youtube clip with that mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXf7wj0RiLM&t=46s

EDIT 2: Did you by any chance post the wrong link by mistake? Because the link I just posted matches the description you made of your first link, so maybe you were referring to this video?

I just got back from the 35mm screening that the Alamo Drafthouse had in Austin, Texas earlier today and the sound effect for the door slam sounded exactly like what you just posted above.

Also, the scene where Kyle and Sarah are finishing you see the shot of their hands interlocking and then you hear Arnold’s motorcycle and then it cuts to the frontal closeup of him on the bike. The sound effect of the motorcycle begins before they actually cut to it and that style of sound effect overlay happened a few other times in the movie when scenes were transitioning.

The scene where Arnold leaves his apartment he is in fact wearing boots and you can briefly see them for a moment as soon as he walks out in to the hallway.

Overall it was a beautiful print with only some wear showing through during the reel changes. I’m really glad I got to see this and I’ll try to answer any questions to the best of my memory!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

^Cool, I hope you had a great time! I certainly wish I had access to 35mm screenings like that. 😄

So it appears that the mono on that print was the LaserDisc one as mentioned.

As I mentioned before, I’d like to know how the colors/contrast looked, particularly skin tones for color, and whether or not Arnold’s eyes were visible through his glasses during the “I’ll be back” shot.

Thanks again for helping! 😄

EDIT: Perhaps after trying to remember everything you can about the color, check out my regrade here and see if it matches your memory of the print.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Dek Rollins said:

^Cool, I hope you had a great time! I certainly wish I had access to 35mm screenings like that. 😄

So it appears that the mono on that print was the LaserDisc one as mentioned.

As I mentioned before, I’d like to know how the colors/contrast looked, particularly skin tones for color, and whether or not Arnold’s eyes were visible through his glasses during the “I’ll be back” shot.

Thanks again for helping! 😄

EDIT: Perhaps after trying to remember everything you can about the color, check out my regrade here and see if it matches your memory of the print.

Your regrade looks perfect in my opinion! Those skin tones look spot on. I did not notice Arnold’s eyes showing through the glasses in that particular shot.

Some of the war scenes in the beginning had a very blue hue almost teal like this:

http://i.imgur.com/ptxgG3x.jpg

I’m not sure if it’s like that on the other fan regrades but it did stand out.

Author
Time

Okay, so some of the war scenes looked more cyan, whereas in my regrade they turned out a deeper blue. But other than that, my grade captures the skin tones and color balances well?

How about shots of flames? Do you remember if they had as much yellow as in my grade?

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

So the original print was NOT in fact, as Teal as so many have said? Not so much here maybe, but on other sites where we discuss this. Cuz I have an old german DVD that actually has a very teal color to it. Not so much like the current Region A blu-rays (much more natural, IMO), but many have argued the case that this is why the film was originally teal.

Personally, I want it to look like (and of course, sound like) the way I watched it growing up. So it doesn’t even matter to me.

Author
Time

Dek Rollins said:

Okay, so some of the war scenes looked more cyan, whereas in my regrade they turned out a deeper blue. But other than that, my grade captures the skin tones and color balances well?

How about shots of flames? Do you remember if they had as much yellow as in my grade?

The flames looked just as they did in your regrade. There were some very teal shots in the movie that I am unsure of how they look in other prints but I absolutely noticed teal hues in the war and flashback scenes. I will need to go back and review my notes because there are some other details I picked up on that I am unsure how they look in other releases.

Another detail I picked up on was that when Sarah and Kyle first enter their hideout before he goes out for supplies you can hear the sound effect of flowing water ever so slightly over the soundtrack. Is that sound effect present on home releases?

Author
Time

TylerDurden389 said:

So the original print was NOT in fact, as Teal as so many have said? Not so much here maybe, but on other sites where we discuss this. Cuz I have an old german DVD that actually has a very teal color to it. Not so much like the current Region A blu-rays (much more natural, IMO), but many have argued the case that this is why the film was originally teal.

Personally, I want it to look like (and of course, sound like) the way I watched it growing up. So it doesn’t even matter to me.

I noticed plenty of teal during the beginning and flashback scenes. It looked very unnatural but it was there and very noticeable.

Author
Time

I’m not sure of the availability but the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz location in Austin, Texas has the physical 35mm print. It would be a real treat if they let someone review and study it for color and sound detail. It is tough to catch everything in 1 viewing.

Author
Time

This is all really cool stuff. I can fiddle with the colors a bit later today and post an updated set of images.

Do you think you would be able to contact Alamo Drafthouse and ask if photos of frames from that print could be taken?

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Dek Rollins said:

Do you think you would be able to contact Alamo Drafthouse and ask if photos of frames from that print could be taken?

Sure I will certainly try. I tried to get a shot of the projectionist’s setup but I barely made it to the movie on time and left immediately after since they were showing a double feature of “Class of 1999” and I had a time constraint to commit to. I will get back to you with what I can find out from the Drafthouse.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I haven’t changed the grading much at all other than a slight alteration to the magentas, but I think it looks pretty much perfect at this point. Here’s a new gallery, now with ten more frames (40), and no longer highly compressed on imgur:

https://goo.gl/photos/iqAWkT9dRXTWn1sj9

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TylerDurden389 said:

Listen closely @0:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXZyPg04a8&t=87s

Notice that loud sound when the door hits the glass?

Now listen here at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxgkkJOEHS4&t=70s

No loud clang. A more typical sound a door makes when it hits something.

The uploader of the first video has a few Terminator videos where he claims to use the mono when its clearly the remix so I wouldnt reference his videos. The second video oddly begins with the surround mix but cuts to the mono when it cuts back to the clerk at the desk fter Arnold initially steps out. The video Dek posted after you however has the correct mono.

Author
Time

New gallery, made some more small changes:

https://goo.gl/photos/3tCn8MqNob9kFDiR7

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

crissrudd4554 said:

TylerDurden389 said:

Listen closely @0:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXZyPg04a8&t=87s

Notice that loud sound when the door hits the glass?

Now listen here at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxgkkJOEHS4&t=70s

No loud clang. A more typical sound a door makes when it hits something.

The uploader of the first video has a few Terminator videos where he claims to use the mono when its clearly the remix so I wouldnt reference his videos.

The video I posted was the one he meant to post.

Dek Rollins said:

EDIT 2: Did you by any chance post the wrong link by mistake? Because the link I just posted matches the description you made of your first link, so maybe you were referring to this video?

TylerDurden389 said:

Yeah, my internet has ben slow-to-not working on and off for the past month now and I have no idea why. Doing that post actually took about 20 minutes because I had to wait till roughly 50 seconds of those videos loaded and I could hear. I researched about 5 videos and must’ve gotten them mixed up.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Looks great, are you going to share the final edit or the LUTs? the thought of sitting through the Greeninator again makes my blood boil.

Author
Time

I think I’m going to upload both actually. I haven’t had time to render the film yet, but I’m sure I could upload the LUT tomorrow for anyone who just wants to use that.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thanks for the LUT, applied it to a 1:1 rip of my UK Blu ray in premiere pro then muxed it with laserdisc audio track.
Looks great in motion and how i remember the film looking when i was a kid, the cold steely blues definitely compliment the future scenes and any scene with the endoskeleton whilst giving the film a more oppressive atmosphere . I really don’t understand the need for these revisionist matrix esque teal pushes in new masters.

Author
Time

^Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad it worked! 😄

And I wouldn’t even say just teal pushing, but rather an all around yellow push that makes blue look teal, cyan look green, etc.

It’s a real shame that it takes non-professionals without any money like myself to restore the proper look to a classic film. I mean, I don’t know what I’m doing, I’m still in school for goodness sake!

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Please don’t take this the wrong way guys, but I still have a copy of The Terminator on vhs, and it isn’t that blue. The color was always pretty neutral, except for the future scenes which are always blue (though some trailers have those scenes look very pink/magenta pushed. Probably Cameron’s floodlights to help the blue once the filters were added. Same thing for T2 trailers).

I also have a very old German dvd of Terminator that looks like it was taken from a film print (lots of print damage and cigarette burns), and it’s actually very teal, but not the same kind of teal like the blu-ray. It’s more natural, if that makes any sense.

Here’s some screencaps:

http://sd.caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php?vergleichID=221

It’s the first DE/German dvd on the left. The only one with a 1.66 aspect ratio.

Author
Time

TylerDurden389 said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way guys, but I still have a copy of The Terminator on vhs, and it isn’t that blue. The color was always pretty neutral, except for the future scenes which are always blue (though some trailers have those scenes look very pink/magenta pushed. Probably Cameron’s floodlights to help the blue once the filters were added. Same thing for T2 trailers).

Even older home video transfers often made changes to color, so that’s not really valid without further proof to suggest it retained the color timing.

I also have a very old German dvd of Terminator that looks like it was taken from a film print (lots of print damage and cigarette burns), and it’s actually very teal, but not the same kind of teal like the blu-ray. It’s more natural, if that makes any sense.

Here’s some screencaps:

http://sd.caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php?vergleichID=221

It’s the first DE/German dvd on the left. The only one with a 1.66 aspect ratio.

That’s better, but it still isn’t a perfect source.

The goal of this project is to recolor the BD to make resemble the original timing as closely as can be approximated. Since koasjm watched an original 35mm print and gave his notes just afterwards, and then after looking at my regrade tests said that the print wasn’t far off, I’m going to assume I’ve accomplished that. I do hope that a 35mm scan of The Terminator will come to the OT community sometime, but we’ll just have to wait and see. 😄

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.