Sign In

Star Wars: The Clone Wars To Return With New Episodes — Page 5

Author
Time

They also didn’t want to conflict with the at the time canon 2D Clone Wars. Honestly, if this takes off and they end up finishing all the remaining unproduced stories, I’d be down to see a prequel season or two with Anakin as a padawan and mullet Obi-Wan, set just after AotC.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OutboundFlight said:

DominicCobb said:

Interesting. I do remember hearing some speculation (or maybe it was based on something Filoni or someone else said) that we would see the Jedi purge to some extent. Considering that scene comes right before Order 66, I imagine this will probably end up being true. But to what extent? If I had to guess I’d say we’ll see Captain Rex’s perspective? Don’t really want to show everyone getting murdered on a kids show (plus we’ve seen it in the film anyway), and Rex will show a different side of the event that will lead into Rebels. Well, I guess we’ll have to see Ahsoka’s perspective as well.

I will say, if they’re going right up and into ROTS, that’ll make the fact that they just sort of dropped into the Clone Wars halfway between AOTC and ROTS even weirder.

They kinda had to - Anakin was still an apprentice in AOTC, so it doesn’t make much sense for him to suddenly get a padawan (they wanted to start with Ahsoka to give new audiences a character to latch to).

Yeah I guess Ahsoka is as good a reason as any. But Anakin is ostensibly the main character of this era, and is very different in AOTC and ROTS, so you’d think a 7 season show roughly revolving around him would show that growth. But when we meet him he’s basically 75% of the way to his ROTS characterization already (not to mention we’re missing the introductions of characters like Asajj and Grievous, as was previously mentioned in this thread). I don’t have a problem with it really, it’s just odd to think about. I guess they maybe could have done an arc or two set before the movie to bridge the gap (they did do a couple episodes) but whatever.

Ultimately I guess if you’re hungry for pre-TCW post-AOTC content, the 2D Clone Wars is still the place to go.

Anakin Starkiller said:

They also didn’t want to conflict with the at the time canon 2D Clone Wars. Honestly, if this takes off and they end up finishing all the remaining unproduced stories, I’d be down to see a prequel season or two with Anakin as a padawan and mullet Obi-Wan, set just after AotC.

I’d be down for this, even if I doubt it’d happen. Maybe do it as a couple hour long specials or something.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Considering this will start before, run parallel, and possibly end after ROTS, I wonder if this, alongside 2D CW’s ending, could be fanedited into a “4 hr cut” of Episode 3. The changes in animation wouldn’t be ideal, but you could get a massive and epic story taking place all at the same time.

  1. Starts with Anakin fighting Trench or something to introduce the characters.
  2. Ahsoka on Coruscant, shows the dislike for the Jedi by commoners and gets her to Mandalore.
  3. Siege on Mandalore
  4. Grevious surprise attack on Coruscant; Anakin and Obi-Wan sent to stop him.
  5. Revenge of the Sith with Deleted Scenes running parallel to Ahsoka and Rex fighting Maul.
  6. Order 66, however it goes down in TCW.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

Hey, if you want to make an epic mega edit of RotS with any footage available, consistency be damned, you can get some decent mileage out of the deleted scenes.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I wish they were finishing Crystal Crisis instead, to be honest.

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

So it just occurred to me that CW season 7 could technically qualify as both Legends and Canon at the same time. Granted the canonicity of CW pre-Disney was kind of weird and inconsistent, but it is the only non-live-action material to be canonized after Disney bought SW, and season 7 is based on unfinished episodes from the pre-Disney days, so shouldn’t the new season technically be part of both continuities? Not that this really matters overall, but I find these kinds of things fascinating.

I really don’t see any indication that TCW was ever linked to the EU/Legends. It has always been canon. The earlier 2003 mini series even fits (Anakin becoming a Jedi and getting his face scar and growing his hair out). When they announced that the EU was being cut and would be Legends and not Canon, I never for a moment thought that included anything animated. It’s canon status was never in dispute as far as I’m concerned. And what I heard officially backs that up. The 2003 series might be iffy, but the 2008 movie and series is not.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yotsuya said:

ZkinandBonez said:

So it just occurred to me that CW season 7 could technically qualify as both Legends and Canon at the same time. Granted the canonicity of CW pre-Disney was kind of weird and inconsistent, but it is the only non-live-action material to be canonized after Disney bought SW, and season 7 is based on unfinished episodes from the pre-Disney days, so shouldn’t the new season technically be part of both continuities? Not that this really matters overall, but I find these kinds of things fascinating.

I really don’t see any indication that TCW was ever linked to the EU/Legends. It has always been canon. The earlier 2003 mini series even fits (Anakin becoming a Jedi and getting his face scar and growing his hair out). When they announced that the EU was being cut and would be Legends and not Canon, I never for a moment thought that included anything animated. It’s canon status was never in dispute as far as I’m concerned. And what I heard officially backs that up. The 2003 series might be iffy, but the 2008 movie and series is not.

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here; everything SW related made pre-2014 qualifies as Legends. When TCW was made was simply “canon” just like everything else, except Disney decided to keep it as part of the new canon so it now exists in this weird double continuity. Even though Lucas specifically never really cared that much for canonicity and anything he made could prioritize and even overwrite other ideas, everything made was still “canon”, including the Tartakovsky CW series. There are even TCW related spin-off material that is now officially Legends, and the show even had plans to include Darth Revan and have an episode featuring the Yuuzhan Vong.

I’m not saying that TCW’s canonicity is in dispute, just that it has become an official part of two separate continuities, just like ep. 1-6 has. Though I suppose there’s no real “official” canon for Legends as all pre-2014 EU material is officially just non-canon. SW continuity isn’t as well maintained as f.ex. the various DC comics continuities, so Legends is kind of hard to define nowadays.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NFBisms said:

I wish they were finishing Crystal Crisis instead, to be honest.

They might make it into a comic or a novel like they did with some of the Maul episodes and the conclusion to Ventress’ arc. I think I read somewhere that Lucasfilm still treats these stories as canon, so it would be strange if they didn’t do anything with them at all in the future. Wasn’t there also a Boba Fett vs Cad Bane episode that’s still unfinished?

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

NFBisms said:

I wish they were finishing Crystal Crisis instead, to be honest.

They might make it into a comic or a novel like they did with some of the Maul episodes and the conclusion to Ventress’ arc. I think I read somewhere that Lucasfilm still treats these stories as canon, so it would be strange if they didn’t do anything with them at all in the future. Wasn’t there also a Boba Fett vs Cad Bane episode that’s still unfinished?

Well Crystal Crisis was just as completed as Bad Batch was - in animatics form - all those years ago. Fully voiced, foley’d, and storyboarded. The other incomplete arcs never got that far, which is why they were adapted into other media. If they were going to finish off either CC or BB, I would have preferred CC, that’s all I was saying. Adapting it into a book or comic would be a downgrade from its current form.

Bad Batch is fun, but that’s about it. Meanwhile, there’s good character stuff in Crystal Crisis between Anakin and Obi-Wan that directly works off of season 5 and plays into Revenge of the Sith, and probably the final Ahsoka episodes. More than clone trooper A-Team.

Author
Time

NFBisms said:

ZkinandBonez said:

NFBisms said:

I wish they were finishing Crystal Crisis instead, to be honest.

They might make it into a comic or a novel like they did with some of the Maul episodes and the conclusion to Ventress’ arc. I think I read somewhere that Lucasfilm still treats these stories as canon, so it would be strange if they didn’t do anything with them at all in the future. Wasn’t there also a Boba Fett vs Cad Bane episode that’s still unfinished?

Well Crystal Crisis was just as completed as Bad Batch was - in animatics form - all those years ago. Fully voiced, foley’d, and storyboarded. The other incomplete arcs never got that far, which is why they were adapted into other media. If they were going to finish off either CC or BB, I would have preferred CC, that’s all I was saying. Adapting it into a book or comic would be a downgrade from its current form.

Bad Batch is fun, but that’s about it. Meanwhile, there’s good character stuff in Crystal Crisis between Anakin and Obi-Wan that directly works off of season 5 and plays into Revenge of the Sith, and probably the final Ahsoka episodes. More than clone trooper A-Team.

Right, I see what you mean. I was just saying that we might at least get something in the future so that the arc doesn’t go completely to waste. I really would have liked to see them do the Ventress and Quinlan Vos arc, but I’m glad that we at least got a novel from it (incidentally one of the few new EU books I’ve really enjoyed).

Author
Time

Ahh, felt much nostalgia tonight watching this new episode. This Disney+ Star Wars content continues to remind me that there is still good SW stuff out there, despite my gripes with TROS.

Also nice surprise to see that this new season is available in 4K HDR too!

Author
Time

I’m just annoyed that we don’t get actual new content for another 4 weeks. It’s nice to see this stuff finished, sure, but still sucks that only 2/3 of the new season is new material.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Well the second arc is Ahsoka’s Walkabout, which has never previously been released in any form, so I’d say 2/3 is new. Regardless, I wish they’d just produce all of the remaining arcs. There’s still two seasons’ worth of content on the cutting room floor. Surely that’s not too much to ask for.

Author
Time

Maybe they’ll make Dark Disciple into a movie or something like that.

But they’re selling this as THE FINAL SEASON so…

If they’re ever going to make any other arcs, they’re probably gonna have to be something else.

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

yotsuya said:

ZkinandBonez said:

So it just occurred to me that CW season 7 could technically qualify as both Legends and Canon at the same time. Granted the canonicity of CW pre-Disney was kind of weird and inconsistent, but it is the only non-live-action material to be canonized after Disney bought SW, and season 7 is based on unfinished episodes from the pre-Disney days, so shouldn’t the new season technically be part of both continuities? Not that this really matters overall, but I find these kinds of things fascinating.

I really don’t see any indication that TCW was ever linked to the EU/Legends. It has always been canon. The earlier 2003 mini series even fits (Anakin becoming a Jedi and getting his face scar and growing his hair out). When they announced that the EU was being cut and would be Legends and not Canon, I never for a moment thought that included anything animated. It’s canon status was never in dispute as far as I’m concerned. And what I heard officially backs that up. The 2003 series might be iffy, but the 2008 movie and series is not.

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here; everything SW related made pre-2014 qualifies as Legends. When TCW was made was simply “canon” just like everything else, except Disney decided to keep it as part of the new canon so it now exists in this weird double continuity. Even though Lucas specifically never really cared that much for canonicity and anything he made could prioritize and even overwrite other ideas, everything made was still “canon”, including the Tartakovsky CW series. There are even TCW related spin-off material that is now officially Legends, and the show even had plans to include Darth Revan and have an episode featuring the Yuuzhan Vong.

I’m not saying that TCW’s canonicity is in dispute, just that it has become an official part of two separate continuities, just like ep. 1-6 has. Though I suppose there’s no real “official” canon for Legends as all pre-2014 EU material is officially just non-canon. SW continuity isn’t as well maintained as f.ex. the various DC comics continuities, so Legends is kind of hard to define nowadays.

I’m saying that when they moved the EU to Legends that Clone Wars was not ever part of the EU and was always canon and was not included in that. Everything Dave Filoni has done has remained Canon under Disney. The EU is the Expanded Universe of books and Comics and is now Legends. The Clone Wars material that was in books and comics moved to Legends, but the series was never moved to Legends. The only reason they cancelled season 6 is that it was airing on Cartoon Network. It had nothing to do with it being kept in canon status. George was always pretty clear about that and the fact that they proceeded with Rebels which continued Filoni’s ideas made it clear that Clone Wars was canon.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yotsuya said:

ZkinandBonez said:

yotsuya said:

ZkinandBonez said:

So it just occurred to me that CW season 7 could technically qualify as both Legends and Canon at the same time. Granted the canonicity of CW pre-Disney was kind of weird and inconsistent, but it is the only non-live-action material to be canonized after Disney bought SW, and season 7 is based on unfinished episodes from the pre-Disney days, so shouldn’t the new season technically be part of both continuities? Not that this really matters overall, but I find these kinds of things fascinating.

I really don’t see any indication that TCW was ever linked to the EU/Legends. It has always been canon. The earlier 2003 mini series even fits (Anakin becoming a Jedi and getting his face scar and growing his hair out). When they announced that the EU was being cut and would be Legends and not Canon, I never for a moment thought that included anything animated. It’s canon status was never in dispute as far as I’m concerned. And what I heard officially backs that up. The 2003 series might be iffy, but the 2008 movie and series is not.

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here; everything SW related made pre-2014 qualifies as Legends. When TCW was made was simply “canon” just like everything else, except Disney decided to keep it as part of the new canon so it now exists in this weird double continuity. Even though Lucas specifically never really cared that much for canonicity and anything he made could prioritize and even overwrite other ideas, everything made was still “canon”, including the Tartakovsky CW series. There are even TCW related spin-off material that is now officially Legends, and the show even had plans to include Darth Revan and have an episode featuring the Yuuzhan Vong.

I’m not saying that TCW’s canonicity is in dispute, just that it has become an official part of two separate continuities, just like ep. 1-6 has. Though I suppose there’s no real “official” canon for Legends as all pre-2014 EU material is officially just non-canon. SW continuity isn’t as well maintained as f.ex. the various DC comics continuities, so Legends is kind of hard to define nowadays.

I’m saying that when they moved the EU to Legends that Clone Wars was not ever part of the EU and was always canon and was not included in that. Everything Dave Filoni has done has remained Canon under Disney. The EU is the Expanded Universe of books and Comics and is now Legends. The Clone Wars material that was in books and comics moved to Legends, but the series was never moved to Legends. The only reason they cancelled season 6 is that it was airing on Cartoon Network. It had nothing to do with it being kept in canon status. George was always pretty clear about that and the fact that they proceeded with Rebels which continued Filoni’s ideas made it clear that Clone Wars was canon.

I get what your saying, and yes you’re technically correct. I probably shouldn’t have used “EU” and “canon” so interchangeably.

Yes, the EU generally refers to books, comics and games, though many used the term to describe all non-movie material, but the current slew of animated series and future live-action shows have probably changed that. Regardless, “Canon” still applies to everything SW unless it is immediately labelled as non-canon, like f.ex. the old Infinities comics. When TCW was made it was canon, and when they ditched the old canon, comics, books and most of the cartoons, they only kept ep. 1-6 and TCW as their new starting point. So the “official” Legends canon includes ep. 1-6 (and obviously none of the newer movies), CW, TCW, Droids, Ewoks, and all the old books, comics, etc. This is what I meant by TCW being in a weird spot as it ties in with Legends material, but it also ties in with new canon material, so it and the Lucas movies are in this weird double-continuity space.

As for season 7, it’s only a new canon season, it even has new canon references added to it, I just think its funny that one of the latest new canon entries is based on something that was originally going to (by default, if not direct creative intent) be part of the old canon.

Author
Time

It’s the conduit through which a lot of Legends stuff is somewhat canonized, basically. Things like Delta Squad or Quinlan Vos were in the show as references to the larger EU at the time. Without The Clone Wars remaining canon, certain things and characters would only be Legends now. It’s the middle of a Venn Diagram.

I kind of find it ironic given how TCW used to get flack for ignoring the EU to do its own thing. Now it’s the only canon media keeping a lot of that EU a part of the main lore.

Author
Time

NFBisms said:

It’s the conduit through which a lot of Legends stuff is somewhat canonized, basically. Things like Delta Squad or Quinlan Vos were in the show as references to the larger EU at the time. Without The Clone Wars remaining canon, certain things and characters would only be Legends now. It’s the middle of a Venn Diagram.

I kind of find it ironic given how TCW used to get flack for ignoring the EU to do its own thing. Now it’s the only canon media keeping a lot of that EU a part of the main lore.

Although I’m a big fan of the old EU I do actually prefer TCW as a new canon series, especially now that we have Rebels and season 7 (Legends TCW will always be unfinished and it was a rough ft to begin with), but I’m still fascinated by the fact that they haven’t bothered to create any new canon introductions to Grevious and Ventress. Middle of a venn-diagram as you put it is a pretty good way to describe the show overall, and it does seem pretty fitting as the last Legends entry and the first new canon entry as it was the last SW-thing that Lucas worked on.

Author
Time

Having finally gotten the time to watch it, this is some of the prettiest animation I’ve seen. Maybe there just because the big animated movies all use the same style while this is more blocky, but wow!

Not only have the models improved in detail and textures (no longer as “smooth” as 4-6) the lighting got a huge update. I could pause at random point and just look at it for a minute straight.

The story, eh, nothing awesome, but solid nonetheless. I’m still so happy we’ve got it for the next three months.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The nose art scene is gone, but I’d say what we got was better?

I suppose it’s odd that Anakin knows that Obi-Wan knows. Or that Rex knows at all. It felt like a very fanservice-y moment for sure, but I genuinely do not really care about much of anything else in this arc. I don’t particularly like the Bad Batch, and Echo honestly meant more dead (as another one of the fallen dominoes) than he ever did while he was alive. But more Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme dynamic? I’m here for all that.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NFBisms said:

The nose art scene is gone, but I’d say what we got was better?

I suppose it’s odd that Anakin knows that Obi-Wan knows. Or that Rex knows at all. It felt like a very fanservice-y moment for sure, but I genuinely do not really care about much of anything else in this arc. I don’t particularly like the Bad Batch, and Echo honestly meant more dead (as another one of the fallen dominoes) than he ever did while he was alive. But more Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme dynamic? I’m here for all that.

The Rex - Echo scene surprised me in how sad it was. I didn’t care much for him beforehand nor in Episode 1, but to see Rex feel so emotionally beaten by the war and Echo so tired puts the everyday clone’s emotions into perspective. I think it’s worth it.

As for the Nose Art, what we got was 100x better so I don’t really care.

Maul- A Star Wars Story