Sign In

Star Wars: The Bad Batch (animated series) - a general discussion thread - * SPOILERS * — Page 7

Author
Time

Well, firstly, Clone Wars is closer to 5yrs than 3.

Also, it is a kids show, so I wouldn’t expect it to go further away from family-oriented than Mandalorian. If that’s not your jam, I’ve got bad news for you about this family-oriented franchise that was sold to Disney specifically to keep it family-oriented…

Lastly, there will be major lore elements explored, as we’ve had two of the three episodes deal with the clones being replaced, and why.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

Well, firstly, Clone Wars is closer to 5yrs than 3.

Also, it is a kids show, so I wouldn’t expect it to go further away from family-oriented than Mandalorian.

That wasn’t my point at all.

Lastly, there will be major lore elements explored, as we’ve had two of the three episodes deal with the clones being replaced, and why.

And I found this extremely weak and lazy, adding nothing of value to the lore.

« Sie sind das Essen… wir sind die Jäger! »

Author
Time

I guess I don’t know what you’re looking for, if you’re saying that the timeline mismatch that you mentioned and doesn’t exist isn’t your point, and that the family relationship aspect you mentioned in the family-oriented entertainment wasn’t your point either… I guess I don’t understand what wouldn’t be weak and lazy for you. Seems like your complaints are a little weak and lazy in how they’ve been framed here.

Author
Time

That came off a bit rude, let me rephrase:

If your specific complaints aren’t your “point”, and the show just isn’t for you, I don’t understand what value you’re bringing to the conversation. If you’re just complaining about the show to complain about it, with none of your reasons being the “point”, then why bother?

I just don’t get why you’d complain about specific things to only turn around and say those specific things weren’t your actual complaints.

Author
Time

I thought episode 3 was very good. Very Alien-esque setting, which I liked, and it’s nice seeing a planet that’s actually inhabitable for once and seeing the kind of oxygen masks from Empire getting pulled out. The plot with the Ordo moon dragon was fine, it’s good that it didn’t have to be resolved with violence, and mostly just served to give Omega something more active to do. The plot with Crosshair’s mission was short, yet even better. I love the exploration of the transition from clones to conscripts, and how the clones are viewed in different ways by others.

Nice to see Vice Admiral Rampart getting a recurring role, although I do wish he had more of a character other than ‘punchable imperial man’.

Stand-out element to me was the contrast between Crosshair’s cold and unfeeling efficiency, and the warmth of the rest of the Bad Batch. Wrecker in particular was very sweet this episode. There’s something going on with him… what was that headache about? I wonder if it’s a setup to his inhibitor chip becoming more active or if it was just writer Matt Michnovetz’s excuse for him to stay on the ship and have time to make a room for Omega. I’m guessing it’s the former - there was definitely a big deal being made out of that, and I respect Matt Michnovetz as a writer a lot. He wrote some great episodes of The Clone Wars and Rebels, such as the Umbara arc episodes and ‘Legend of the Lasat’, as well as Son of Dathomir and Jedi: Fallen Order.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JakeRyan17 said:

That came off a bit rude, let me rephrase:

If your specific complaints aren’t your “point”, and the show just isn’t for you, I don’t understand what value you’re bringing to the conversation. If you’re just complaining about the show to complain about it, with none of your reasons being the “point”, then why bother?

I just don’t get why you’d complain about specific things to only turn around and say those specific things weren’t your actual complaints.

Not to speak for them, but I do find that Dad Batch™ is within the same broad trope as Mando and Grogu. People’s mileages on that sort of thing can vary, so I could absolutely see it not being different enough, especially for audiences who imagine or desire more for the franchise than the same narrative progressions told in three different ways. Poetry and rhyming and all that, but there is more possibility with the universe.

To speak for myself, it’s not necessarily the family orientation that’s the problem, but that this is really the only way that can be thought of to make something family oriented. LFL for as much they make SW for kids, doesn’t seem to have enough faith in kids, and has always been miles behind its contemporaries in animation writing.

Author
Time

That’s a more fair criticism, but I do see this family dynamic as being different enough— especially as Omega can talk and has agency in what’s going on. She has her own goals and character development separate from the Batch, whereas Grogu is effectively an infant.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to compare her to Ahsoka or even more so Ezra (with a large found family), but without being Force-sensitive.

Author
Time

I liked the third episode. Pretty wholesome on the Omega side of things.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

https://youtu.be/uJs1zoEugh8 Good soldiers follow orders.

Hope you enjoy this Star Wars: The Bad Batch Tribute dedicated to Crosshair. Premieres 9:00 AM Pacific Time / 18:00 Central European Time so in little over an hour from writing this post! Includes footage from all the Bad Batch episodes released so far, movies, other tv shows and more.

WARNING: Obviously this contains spoilers from the recent Bad Batch episode so do not click the video unless you have seen it.

As for the most recent episode, it felt slightly more filler than the other two though but I LOVED the antagonist narrative part of it if you will. A solid 7, perhaps an 8 from me for this one, with the pilot being a 10 and the 2nd episode a 9. Crooshair’s part of the episode elevated the whole thing to a new level for me.

I think we have never seen something be so dark in Star Wars animation.

Https://youtube.com/LoreFreak I’ve been a Star Wars fan my entire life. The franchise truly affected me and I wouldn’t be who I am today without it - I’d like to share my passion while also trying to give back to the fandom.

Author
Time

LoreFreak said:

https://youtu.be/uJs1zoEugh8 Good soldiers follow orders.

Hope you enjoy this Star Wars: The Bad Batch Tribute dedicated to Crosshair. Premieres 9:00 AM Pacific Time / 18:00 Central European Time so in little over an hour from writing this post! Includes footage from all the Bad Batch episodes released so far, movies, other tv shows and more.

A lovely edit! Omega’s theme never fails to be powerful. You know, Crosshair sitting on his bed, in the Batch’s old room, deep in thought reminds me of the ending scene with Kallus in ‘The Honourable Ones’ from Star Wars Rebels.

In Rebels, Kallus sits in a dark, cold and grey room, now the only source of colour the glowing rock which symbolises his newfound connection with Zeb. It’s a small light of hope for a different future. Crosshair’s room has no such special object, but I hope Omega’s brief connection with him in episode 1 is enough to make him consider his actions. Either way, both scenes show the cold emptiness of Imperial servitude.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

That might have been my favourite Bad Batch episode yet. Pantora makes for some really colourful and beautiful shots. I’m looking forward to Fennec being a recurring character and the episode made me more excited for her appearance in The Book of Boba Fett!

It’s a shame it’s so quiet in this thread. The series is doing very well, balancing several different questions and plots along the way - although now Omega is being pursued by bounty hunters seeking to return her to the Empire (or the Kaminoans, more likely) the similarities with The Mandalorian are being pushed to a limit. If Omega is revealed as force-sensitive this will only continue. Still, it’s a remarkably compelling show, and still feels very original.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

jedi_bendu said:

It’s a shame it’s so quiet in this thread.

That’s probably a good thing. The more people have to say about a show it usually means there’s a lot that people disapprove of and need to argue about. Either that or there’s a lot of theorizing relating to lore and story developments, but we all more-or-less know how the lore is going to develop with this series, and unlike The Mandalorian with the mystery of Grogu’s past, or the future of the darksaber, etc. there’s not all that much to talk about beyond what Omega’s enhancements are.


On a completely unrelated note though, I was quite surprised by the depiction of Pantora. Maybe I remember some elements of TCW wrong, but based on the Pantorans we saw I always imagined it to be more of a Naboo-esque planet. Though I’m not complaining as I really love these seedier type of bazaar-like locations with lots of aliens and droids. I’m also glad to see the show turn more towards populated locales. The previous episodes have been really good, but the settings have been a tad underwhelming.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

That’s probably a good thing. The more people have to say about a show it usually means there’s a lot that people disapprove of and need to argue about. Either that or there’s a lot of theorizing relating to lore and story developments, but we all more-or-less know how the lore is going to develop with this series, and unlike The Mandalorian with the mystery of Grogu’s past, or the future of the darksaber, etc. there’s not all that much to talk about beyond what Omega’s enhancements are.

Actually, that’s a really good point. Didn’t think of that.

I’m also glad to see the show turn more towards populated locales. The previous episodes have been really good, but the settings have been a tad underwhelming.

I liked the smaller scale of the spaceport in Cut and Run, but I agree - certainly with ‘Replacements’. However, I don’t think it matters - judging from the trailers, we’ve got some very creative and interesting locations to come, from an ornate-looking palace-like building to a misty expansive star destroyer graveyard (which could be bracca?).

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

jedi_bendu said:

I liked the smaller scale of the spaceport in Cut and Run, but I agree - certainly with ‘Replacements’. However, I don’t think it matters - judging from the trailers, we’ve got some very creative and interesting locations to come, from an ornate-looking palace-like building to a misty expansive star destroyer graveyard (which could be bracca?).

I agree, the first two episodes were great, and I have no real complaints about “Replacements” either, but I prefer bustling spaceports over barren moons, even if the energy-eating dragon was pretty neat.

I do look forward to seeing Zygerria as was teased in the trailer. Considering how much trouble Omega has gotten into already, and how the Bad Batch clearly will have to deal with the moral gray zones of being mercenaries as the show moves on, I’m really curious to see how they end up involved with the Zygerrian slavers.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

Seeing Pantora come to life was a big highlight for me, as I had a soft spot for this planet since it was vividly described back when Dark Disciple came out. I liked the rich details, the variety of alien species (something that Rebels lacked, probably owing to its smaller budget) and the used, OT-like aesthetic of the city.

Fennec was great too and I’m looking forward to seeing her become a recurring character. Also who could be the mysterious client who hired Fennec? I don’t think it’s the Kaminoans since they willingly let Omega go in the first place.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

Seeing Pantora come to life was a big highlight for me, as I had a soft spot for this planet since it was vividly described back when Dark Disciple came out. I liked the rich details, the variety of alien species (something that Rebels lacked, probably owing to its smaller budget) and the used, OT-like aesthetic of the city.

Fennec was great too and I’m looking forward to seeing her become a recurring character. Also who could be the mysterious client who hired Fennec? I don’t think it’s the Kaminoans since they willingly let Omega go in the first place.

I think it’s either Boulba Fett or Darth Vader.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Author
Time

What motivation could Boba have for wanting Omega to be found? I’ve always felt the dialogue from The Mandalorian about ‘fate stepping in’ implies Boba found Fennec in the desert by chance and rescued her, and that was the first time they met, but that’s far from definite and could be changed easily. It would also build up excitement for The Book of Boba Fett.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

jedi_bendu said:

What motivation could Boba have for wanting Omega to be found? I’ve always felt the dialogue from The Mandalorian about ‘fate stepping in’ implies Boba found Fennec in the desert by chance and rescued her, and that was the first time they met, but that’s far from definite and could be changed easily. It would also build up excitement for The Book of Boba Fett.

That, and also the fact Boba is still a teenager hunter by this point. Already badass but definitely not ESB-level in influence. It would be interesting if they reframed the original Cad Bane vs Boba arc and make it happen in Bad Batch instead of during TCW.

Author
Time

jedi_bendu said:

What motivation could Boba have for wanting Omega to be found? I’ve always felt the dialogue from The Mandalorian about ‘fate stepping in’ implies Boba found Fennec in the desert by chance and rescued her, and that was the first time they met, but that’s far from definite and could be changed easily. It would also build up excitement for The Book of Boba Fett.

I was thinking it would be like a him considering her his sister. It honestly sounded a lot better in my head.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Author
Time

Did they rename Jabba’s rancor? Or is this a different Rancor?

You’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Am I making Carrie Fisher’s ghost proud?”
Well, are ya, punk?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think StarWarsExplained did a good summary of the question; https://youtu.be/38XI8YyekGA?t=155

It’s probably meant to imply that it’s the same rancor for more casual fans, but as for actual EU lore they’ll probably give some explanation of it at some point. This series does after all take place almost 25 years prior to ROTJ, so it’s reasonable to assume that Rancors could have too short a lifespan for Muchi and Pateesa to be the same creature. Though of course this is SW, so for all we know Rancors could live for centuries.

BTW, am I the only one who got a bit of a Kaiju film vibe from the fight between Muchi and the Brezak? There something about Muchi grabbing it by the tail and slamming it to the ground that reminded me of one of the old Godzilla or Gamera films, though I can’t remember which one.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ed Slushie said:

Did they rename Jabba’s rancor? Or is this a different Rancor?

My headcanon is that Pateesa is Muchi’s offspring or mate, cause otherwise I’d suffer each time I see Luke Skywalker 😄

Author
Time

With such a big time gap between The Bad Batch and Return of the Jedi, it’s hard to say for certain if Pateesa is actually Muchi (which would make this yet ANOTHER retcon!) Let’s just say that Muchi arrived at Jabba’s Palace but refused to eat anyone, so was sent away to live happily in the countryside before she could be murdered by that horrible monster Luke Skywalker.

When I heard the line “you pull a job for me, I get the information you want” I immediately thought this was gonna be a Mandalorian-style sidequest episode, and I felt fed up with the Mando similarities. In the end though, it didn’t bother me at all. I really enjoyed the episode, its sense of fun and its unexpected turns, and I think stuff like the plot with Crosshair and the regular building-up of something involving Wrecker’s inhibitor chip will stop The Bad Batch from feeling like a formulaic series.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

jedi_bendu said:
When I heard the line “you pull a job for me, I get the information you want” I immediately thought this was gonna be a Mandalorian-style sidequest episode, and I felt fed up with the Mando similarities. In the end though, it didn’t bother me at all. I really enjoyed the episode, its sense of fun and its unexpected turns, and I think stuff like the plot with Crosshair and the regular building-up of something involving Wrecker’s inhibitor chip will stop The Bad Batch from feeling like a formulaic series.

I didn’t really have a problem with the sidequest style plot since one of the premises of the show in the first place was the Bad Batch turning to mercenary work to make a living, if I recall correctly.

However I’m still intrigued by Wrecker’s state. I’ve never felt more anxious about headaches in a show.