Sign In

Star Wars: Remastered - A New Special Edition (* unfinished project *) — Page 6

Author
Time

I gotta agree with the comments of making it match the original shot. We are talking about one of those iconic scenes … I wouldn’t mess with the timing … keep it as close to the original but with the updated/modernized look.

As for the engines, I wouldn’t worry too much about the effects like in Rogue One since at this time the engines are at full power and not warming up like in Rogue One.

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

Petrovelly said:

I see your point guys. Nevertheless, I do think that this version adds more dynamic to the scene, and also I’m not a huge fan of still shots.

It’s not about making the shot more still, it’s about shifting the timing. Make the camera sit on the empty starfield for a minute before you start the tilt-down, and make sure the tilt-down brings the full planet into view on the “BWAM,” which is the music cue Williams wrote for the planet coming into view.

After that, you have significantly more leeway, but changing the timing of the visuals in respect to the music as composed for what might be the most iconic opening shot in all of cinema simply isn’t right if you ask me, no matter how much more “dynamic” the new effects are.

Author
Time

^^^ Yes!

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

Updated engines and destroyer mock-up --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9j64t0j670&feature=youtu.be

I think that the original music fits this version really well. Tantive appears when the music goes crazy, then there’s BAM! when camera stops moving, shotout starts with rebellion theme and finally Star Destroyer enters the frame with it’s dark tune.

I may change it yet of course, but I like what I’ve done.

Creator of ‘Star Wars: A New Hope - Remastered’

Author
Time

I love it like it is 😉

Italian faneditor.

EDITS LIST:
CHOSEN ONE (3-in-1 prequels). I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. IV - THE HEIR OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI. DYAD IN THE FORCE (3-into-1 sequels).
PM me for links if interested.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sorry, I still can’t get behind it with the music timing so egregiously wrong. ☹️ Shame because it looks beautiful otherwise.

Author
Time

I agree with Ash man, of course this is you edit but could you have two versions? The old style and your new one?

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well I think Petro’s point of how the ship appears when the music changes tone, but the camera stops tilting on the BAM!

Personally, after rewatching it a few times it works for me. I do think it is bothering people because it feels uncanny based off what we’re used to. You could make an argument that the planet coming into view at the same time as the ship divides our focus, whereas in the original our focus goes from moon 1, to moon 2, to Tatooine, then to Tantive IV. In Petro’s version, ship and planet enter frame simultaneously.

Haha I laughed out loud the first time when “star destroyer” popped into view. I know it is placeholder but it was funny when I wasn’t expecting it!

Author
Time

I have to agree that the original timing is one of those things that are so seared in our brains that it will be really hard to watch without having the feeling that something’s off.

That being said, your visual effects are beautiful and I’m really excited to see what you come up with in other shots!

Good work!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I say: do what you want for your edit. It’s…well…your edit.
With that in mind, I personally would love to have that shot redone with the original timing. And I’m also keeping in mind that you said you may change your mind. RogueLeader makes some excellent points. I know when I work on my edit I’m always trying to keep in mind where my eyes focus is. There are some excellent videos out there on film editing including on eye focus…i think there’s an actual term for it, but I can’t remember.

But again, it’s your edit.

YouTubers!
Attack of the Clones | Alternate Timeline Edit
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/SSWRs-Attack-of-the-Clones-Alternate-Timeline-Edit/id/66888
My OLD Return of the Jedi thread. Be gentle.
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/ROTJ-Fan-O-Matic-3-new-clips/id/7919

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

…the planet coming into view at the same time as the ship divides our focus, whereas in the original our focus goes from moon 1, to moon 2, to Tatooine, then to Tantive IV. In Petro’s version, ship and planet enter frame simultaneously.

Yes, this exactly. It’s not just that “the original is better,” it’s that it was paced deliberately to have specific “reveals” on specific beats, and the music was composed to accentuate those specific beats.

The camera tilts down and we see a small moon. “Oh, neat, a moon,” the audience goes. The music continues to swell and then we see a larger moon. “Oh wow, this must be the planet,” the audience goes. But then the music swell continues, and the tilt continues…

And then a massive planet that won’t even fit into frame comes into view and the music punctuates the audience’s awe right at the same time.

Only then does the action start, but it’s the same - we see a ship go by, being fired at, and we think “Whoa, spaceship, wonder what’s firing at them?” And then an enormous ship fills the frame…and keeps coming…and coming…and coming.

Now, mind you, I’m trying to put everyone in the mindset of those people sitting down to see this in 1977 that had never seen anything like that. But the shot is deliberately and meticulously constructed to get exactly this type of reaction, in stages.

Update the effects themselves all you want, but the new effects should honor the meticulous design of the original, down to the pacing, especially with the music which was composed specifically to match that pacing.

Author
Time

What was said above. The updated version doesn’t work, I felt lost almost immediately.
You should respect the original timing and reveals.

You do have some freedom regarding composition and speed I think.

It could work with the Tantive coming from below the camera perhaps a little slower, and then have the camera move down to reveal the Star Destroyer passing above. Make both ships closer and add more damage effects and more firing.

As always, just an opinion, it’s your show 😃

Author
Time

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

Creator of ‘Star Wars: A New Hope - Remastered’

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

There’s a highly detailed Stardestroyer over at sci-fi3D

http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=534

Sadly, it’s not the ANH version, but maybe someone could help out modifying it?

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

I’m 100% sure that Star Wars Battlefront 2015 had a ‘New Hope’ model SD. Maybe look over on Facepunch?

girl

Author
Time

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

Author
Time

Lukeade815 said:

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

That’s the ESB design though, isn’t it?

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

That’s the ESB design though, isn’t it?

The Devastator is an Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, which is what the model is. Unless there were 2 different versions of the I-Class, this is it.

Author
Time

Lukeade815 said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

That’s the ESB design though, isn’t it?

The Devastator is an Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, which is what the model is. Unless there were 2 different versions of the I-Class, this is it.

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

That’s the ESB design though, isn’t it?

The Devastator is an Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, which is what the model is. Unless there were 2 different versions of the I-Class, this is it.

I stand corrected! Is the top part the only part that’s different?

Author
Time

Lukeade815 said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Lukeade815 said:

Petrovelly said:

You’re right guys. It works better.
It will propably take a lot of time to make the whole scene, because of the Star Destroyer. I can’t find detailed enough free version so I have to modify that one I already have… which won’t be easy, due to my lack of skills in modelling, huh.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/imperial-i-class-star-destroyer-6913bf20402a4eaea3e59109db0fbea4
This one looks like it will suit your needs.

That’s the ESB design though, isn’t it?

The Devastator is an Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, which is what the model is. Unless there were 2 different versions of the I-Class, this is it.

I stand corrected! Is the top part the only part that’s different?

Not sure, but it’s the most noticeable part.