Sign In

Should the Prequels be more included into the franchise going forward?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

As splitting between fans as the prequels were, do they really deserve to be forgotten acts of the past?

Although lacking in everything from memorable, impactful characters and story to practicality, there were elements and designs and originality, that here and there this new franchise is certainly lacking. Not to mention, they are part of George Lucas’s vision for the franchise as a whole, and one does not spit on the creation of the man behind it all.

I, for once, grew up with watching the OT and Prequels simultaneously for the first time in 1997 through 2005, as a little kid and into puberty.

Nostalgia is a part of all our lifes; and it might be time to put our egos and judgements to the side, and accept the fact that there are kids out there who - for them - the Prequels are just as important for them as the OT may be for you. Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments? Stories, that through the developing eyes of others, could bring us all closure and satisfaction from all times and periods of the Star Wars franchise?

After all, let’s not forget that in the end we are all just Star Wars fans by heart.

What do you think?

Author
Time

Haha, I was actually hoping on more of a discussion on this subject, rather than simple lines or words of utter hate (haha), so stating why you think so, would be highly appreciated for the reading pleasures of others.

Please state your opinions - in favor and not in favor, and why they should or should not.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

They should be considered canon but should be ignored at all costs. They only should be mentioned when people bring up the fall of Anakin, rise of The Empire, The Clone Wars etc. Not only that but certain things need to be retconned from the PT so that the collective story of Star Wars flows well. They can kill the original Boba Fett and have someone take his identity, they can retcon Midichlorians and they can get Hayden the hell out of Return of The Jedi. Unfortunately they can’t do anything about Padme or Cliegg Lars dying from broken hearts.

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

Anjohan said:

the prequels, do they really deserve to be forgotten acts of the past?

Yes.

But can you say the same about this statement: the fact that there are kids out there who - for them - the Prequels are just as important for them as the OT may be for you. Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

Author
Time

We just saw Coruscant briefly in Rogue One, not to mention Bail Organa, played by the same actor as the prequels. TFA made a reference to clone troopers.
And as I’ve said in the past, if Leia had a portrait of Padme or something, it wouldn’t bother me.
Just as long as Jar Jar stays dead. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

We just saw Coruscant briefly in Rogue One, not to mention Bail Organa, played by the same actor as the prequels. TFA made a reference to clone troopers.
And as I’ve said in the past, if Leia had a portrait of Padme or something, it wouldn’t bother me.
Just as long as Jar Jar stays dead. 😉

He’s not dead; he got a worse fate. He’s a street performer who is mocked by everyone because his idiocy is the the reason Palpatine rose to power.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anjohan said:

ray_afraid said:

Anjohan said:

the prequels, do they really deserve to be forgotten acts of the past?

Yes.

But can you say the same about this statement: the fact that there are kids out there who - for them - the Prequels are just as important for them as the OT may be for you. Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

Sure they do. But the movies have no real cultural or historical impact. If you like em cause ya grew up with em, that’s fine. Reminiscing on things we loved as kids can be fun. But the PT did nothing to earn a positive place in the collective conscious.
They really are just some dumb movies.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

They do, and they can do it by watching the prequels.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

SilverWook said:

We just saw Coruscant briefly in Rogue One, not to mention Bail Organa, played by the same actor as the prequels. TFA made a reference to clone troopers.
And as I’ve said in the past, if Leia had a portrait of Padme or something, it wouldn’t bother me.
Just as long as Jar Jar stays dead. 😉

He’s not dead; he got a worse fate. He’s a street performer who is mocked by everyone because his idiocy is the the reason Palpatine rose to power.

You haven’t been keeping up on Frink’s edit. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ray_afraid said:

Anjohan said:

ray_afraid said:

Anjohan said:

the prequels, do they really deserve to be forgotten acts of the past?

Yes.

But can you say the same about this statement: the fact that there are kids out there who - for them - the Prequels are just as important for them as the OT may be for you. Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

Sure they do. But the movies have no real cultural or historical impact. If you like em cause ya grew up with em, that’s fine. Reminiscing on things we loved as kids can be fun. But the PT did nothing to earn a positive place in the collective conscious.
They really are just some dumb movies.

But is this a fact, or is this just a popular opinion?

Because you see, according to moviemakers and American moviemaking businesses, the prequels are in fact historically and culturally important, as they broke new ground for visual effects and and digital moviemaking.

So actually what you are saying is incorrect, but your opinion is commonly shared. So you are basing your reasons on what you deem factually correct, when in fact - it should be known - that it is just an opinion. By no factual means are they not historically or culturally important.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

Anjohan said:

Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

They do, and they can do it by watching the prequels.

Valid point. But couldn’t the same be said for the OT then?

If Disney made the new trilogy in PT era and fans criticized; would the answer “you can watch the OT” be a satisfactory one for you as a lifelong fan?

Author
Time

It’s also over explaining why he isn’t in Star Wars. (Or the end of ROTS.) It’s logical to presume he simply passed away in the intervening years.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

TV’s Frink said:

Anjohan said:

Do they not deserve the chance to walk down memory lane with stories and references from their favorite moments?

They do, and they can do it by watching the prequels.

Valid point. But couldn’t the same be said for the OT then?

If Disney made the new trilogy in PT era and fans criticized; would the answer “you can watch the OT” be a satisfactory one for you as a lifelong fan?

If the movies were good I wouldn’t care.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

It’s also over explaining why he isn’t in Star Wars. (Or the end of ROTS.) It’s logical to presume he simply passed away in the intervening years.

How about he died from an infection in his leg due to bad medical treatment and a general apathy from losing his wife? He stopped caring for himself. That way he technically died from a broken heart, but its not Lucas level stupid.

As for the Prequels, they happend but Disney should focus on the good aspects of Star Wars going forward. No Hayden in The Last Jedi, though if he was in it and say the movie only did 1.2 billion they could blame it on him and you would never see a major PT reference in a Star Wars movie again.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

Since I don’t mind them, then yes, I do want to see them acknowledged in the series, or at least the nuEu. One thing (out of many) that makes me prefer the old EU to the canon universe is that there was no bias towards the prequels. In the nuEu, we have two comic series’ and one book from the prequel era (The Clone Wars while canon, was a product of the Legends universe as well, so I’m not counting it).

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LuckyGungan2001 said:

One thing (out of many) that makes me prefer the old EU to the canon universe is that there was no bias towards the prequels.

Your old EU must be different from mine.

“Okay, I’m goin’, takin’ off. See ya… bye….” — Chip Douglas

“This concludes our broadcast day. Click.” — Chip Douglas

Author
Time

Sign up on an OOT forum. Make your avatar a prequel character. Start threads that advocate for prequels.

Story checks out.