Sign In

Most Dissapointing Aspect of Sequel Trilogy? Most Satisfying? — Page 7

Author
Time

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

fmalover said:

I’ve noticed that many here dislike the fact that TLJ pretty much disregards the set-up of TFA

I don’t really understand how people say it does though.

This was one of my initial complaints with the film, and I still standby it to some degree.

TFA ends with Luke Skywalker, eyes watery and reluctant, an ending that compelled me to continue watching the new films. Yet in TLJ, he simply looks annoyed. That whole emotional ending is essentially “mocked” by Johnson. I really didn’t mind Luke throwing the lightsaber, but I would’ve preferred it had he done so under a different purpose – if that makes sense.

That being said, it’s a good film, even though I disagree with many of the decisions it makes.

This precisely.

Read the ending of the Force Awakens in the script:

"And she holds it out to him. An offer. A plea. The galaxy’s
only hope.

HOLD ON LUKE SKYWALKER’S INCREDIBLE FACE, amazed and
conflicted at what he sees, as our MUSIC BUILDS, the promise
of an adventure, just beginning…"

I think it’s obvious that JJ had a different vision of what would happen with Luke than Rian. JJ even wanted floating boulders around Luke to show the force radiating from him.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

fmalover said:

I’ve noticed that many here dislike the fact that TLJ pretty much disregards the set-up of TFA

I don’t really understand how people say it does though.

This was one of my initial complaints with the film, and I still standby it to some degree.

TFA ends with Luke Skywalker, eyes watery and reluctant, an ending that compelled me to continue watching the new films. Yet in TLJ, he simply looks annoyed. That whole emotional ending is essentially “mocked” by Johnson. I really didn’t mind Luke throwing the lightsaber, but I would’ve preferred it had he done so under a different purpose – if that makes sense.

That being said, it’s a good film, even though I disagree with many of the decisions it makes.

This precisely.

Read the ending of the Force Awakens in the script:

No thanks.

I’m firmly of the belief that if it’s not in the movie it doesn’t count.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

darthrush said:

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

fmalover said:

I’ve noticed that many here dislike the fact that TLJ pretty much disregards the set-up of TFA

I don’t really understand how people say it does though.

This was one of my initial complaints with the film, and I still standby it to some degree.

TFA ends with Luke Skywalker, eyes watery and reluctant, an ending that compelled me to continue watching the new films. Yet in TLJ, he simply looks annoyed. That whole emotional ending is essentially “mocked” by Johnson. I really didn’t mind Luke throwing the lightsaber, but I would’ve preferred it had he done so under a different purpose – if that makes sense.

That being said, it’s a good film, even though I disagree with many of the decisions it makes.

This precisely.

Read the ending of the Force Awakens in the script:

No thanks.

I’m firmly of the belief that if it’s not in the movie it doesn’t count.

I’d argue that the movie perfectly encapsulates what the script is asking for in that scene.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it. And JawsTDS refrenced the visual elements in the scene to support how he felt.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it.

It doesn’t matter what it says, it’s the script. What is on the screen is what I care about.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it.

It doesn’t matter what it says, it’s the script. What is on the screen is what I care about.

eye roll

Anyways, it’s a shame that the script and final product made something so perfect, only to be countered by Rian. But to be fair, it was his film, so he had every right to.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Omg why isn’t oojason doing something? Quick, someone needs to ask for mod!

JEDIT: Did you just edit your post 3 times? Everytime I looked it said something completely different.

Ceci n’est pas une signature.

Author
Time

Frank your Majesty said:

Omg why isn’t oojason doing something? Quick, someone needs to ask for mod!

JEDIT: Did you just edit your post 3 times? Everytime I looked it said something different.

I did. I realized I came off like a huge dick the first two times, so I decided to tone it down.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it.

It doesn’t matter what it says, it’s the script. What is on the screen is what I care about.

eye roll

So what’s the problem?

Sometimes what’s in the script ends up on the screen, sometimes not. But either way, I care about what’s on the screen, so whether the script got it there or it ended up different doesn’t matter to me.

If you don’t feel that way, fine, but I’m not sure why you two guys are having such a problem understanding that I could possibly feel that way.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it.

It doesn’t matter what it says, it’s the script. What is on the screen is what I care about.

eye roll

If you don’t feel that way, fine, but I’m not sure why you two guys are having such a problem understanding that I could possibly feel that way.

And I’m not sure why you have to be so blunt in your approach, and not even bother to read what was cited.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

I don’t see the conflict between the two scenes. Seeing the lightsaber makes Luke emotional. When he grabs the lightsaber, he throws it.

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I don’t see the conflict between the two scenes. Seeing the lightsaber makes Luke emotional. When he grabs the lightsaber, he throws it.

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

I’m going to be completely honest and say that was pretty close to my expectation.

But like I said, it’s Rian’s film, not mine. Don’t want to come off like I’m one of those “TLJ sucks!” trolls on the interwebs.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

JawsTDS said:

TV’s Frink said:

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

Ok. I didn’t bother reading it so maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Doesn’t matter to me either way. All that matters is what I see in the movie, not what was intended.

Yeah, it’s probably best to read the few sentences I quoted from the script before nullifying it.

It doesn’t matter what it says, it’s the script. What is on the screen is what I care about.

eye roll

If you don’t feel that way, fine, but I’m not sure why you two guys are having such a problem understanding that I could possibly feel that way.

And I’m not sure why you have to be so blunt in your approach, and not even bother to read what was cited.

facepalm

Because. I. Don’t. Care.

Maybe you care about everything. I don’t.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

I’ve only seen TFA once and haven’t seen TLJ at all, but I expected him to reject it. And her. And then latter come around to believing they could work together and do some good.
Seemed like that was what was being set up and, from what little I’ve read, it seems I was mostly right.
Mostly.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

DominicCobb said:

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

I’ve only seen TFA once and haven’t seen TLJ at all, but I expected him to reject it. And her. And then latter come around to believing they could work together and do some good.
Seemed like that was what was being set up and, from what little I’ve read, it seems I was mostly right.
Mostly.

Why don’t we put you in charge???

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I don’t see the conflict between the two scenes. Seeing the lightsaber makes Luke emotional. When he grabs the lightsaber, he throws it.

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

I expected him to walk away without even touching the saber, honestly.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

He looked vaguely sad, and vaguely confused. Whatever the script was originally it’s not on the screen. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ChainsawAsh said:

DominicCobb said:

I don’t see the conflict between the two scenes. Seeing the lightsaber makes Luke emotional. When he grabs the lightsaber, he throws it.

I don’t know what people expected, him to raise it in the air in that classic poster pose?

I expected him to walk away without even touching the saber, honestly.

Luke’s mindset is essentially the same in either case. Taking the saber and throwing it is just a more dramatic (and I guess surprising) way to accomplish the same thing.

Mocata said:

He looked vaguely sad, and vaguely confused. Whatever the script was originally it’s not on the screen. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Not sure who’s parade you’re raining on.

Author
Time

Mocata said:

He looked vaguely sad, and vaguely confused. Whatever the script was originally it’s not on the screen. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I’d say he looks pretty sad here, which is very in line with the script. Please excuse the low quality picture.

Whereas in TLJ, he looks confused:

Clearly I’m in the minority in regards to this opinion, and I’m okay with that. I’m just here to participate in the conversation. I don’t care if you don’t agree or do agree – just putting this out there to back up my earlier claims.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707