OBI-WAN KENOBI [The “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi” Cut]
When I woke up this morning I never thought I would be making another Star Wars fanedit anytime soon. To be fair, I thought this would be an amazing show. I even chuckled to myself yesterday thinking “Tomorrow there will be Obi-Wan fanedits popping up on OT.com”.
I am so utterly disappointed in the the directing, acting, editing and stunt work that I went straight back and watched the episodes all over again thinking about what to improve.
The entire show thus far pivots back an forth between “this is awesome” and “this is incredibly bad”. I switch between the two at any given scene. Sometimes within the same scene.
- Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan
- Owen Lars as Owen Lars
- Leia actor (when she is not told to run or look scared)
- Bail Organa
- The first 10 minutes of the series (including the recap to be honest)
- The scenes between Obi-Wan and Leia (most of them)
- The Leia actress when she is told to run or look scared
- The writing and execution of the plot
- The overall directing
- The overall cinematography
- The editing in certain parts (the wood chase in EP 1) - looked like the actors are told to run slow, bad editing, Leia actress looks amused rather than scared
- The Anakin is alive reveal (felt cheap, unearned and also unecessary)
- The narrative beat of the fake Jedi (whom i actually enjoyed), the rooftop chase, and then the “Fake Jedi to the Rescue”. This needs to be handled a lot better.
- The Thug Gang hired by the Third Sister. Just… tone them down.
- The Inquisitors needs to be TONED DOWN. Just chill, guys. This ain’t a Halloween party at the forty-seventh vodka shot.
- The series’s Score. The Inquisitor Theme from the very beginning was thrilling. The rest was uninspired and dull.
This entire show pivots back an forth between “this is awesome” and “this is incredibly bad”. I switch between the two at any given scene. Sometimes within the same scene.
FIXES & ALTERATIONS:
- Toned down Inquisitors
- Massively improved “chase” sequence on Alderaan (it will be trimmed so hard you forgot there was grass)
- Improved rooftop chase on “New Planet”
- Trim bad acting or weird behaviour (!)
- Make plot EASIER to digest
- Pacing - when we end with Episode 5 of content, the edit is at 1 hour and 54 minutes.
- Improve the musical continuity with The Prequels and The Originals, but without sacrificing the original score that both works and the ability for the series/film to have its own identity.
… and more, I can gurantee, as we move on.
Film or TV series. Depends on how much juice there will be to work with, and how reliable the plot is for a fulfilling and exciting experience. If the series’s narration will continue to be a rollercoaster of bad editing and confusing or lacking plot beats a film format will most likely be the outcome to keep it a thrilling bag of the good.
VIDEO EXAMPLES AND FIXES:
HUNT FOR JEDI - INQUISITORS FIX:
Alternate Vader Sensing Kenobi:
Softened Leia Introduction
Anakin reassembled (crossfade is fixed):
Alternate Rescue - Entrance
https://streamable.com/exojia (Not finished as of yet)
Alternate Rescue - Escape
https://streamable.com/waa16m (Not finished as of yet)
The Final Duel
The Imperial’s are Here:
https://streamable.com/otm6f2 (something more with soul and first time we see Obi-Wan properly use his saber again; feel-good)
https://streamable.com/vsc492 (emotional AOTC connection -> upbeat feeling -> darkness takes over, shots will be deepfaked before release)
Scrapped Video Ideas:
ANAKIN RETURNS - SAD PIANO (Idea is scrapped - too much sorrow)
ANAKIN RETURNS - IMPERIAL MARCH (Idea Is Scrapped - too bombastic):