Rogue One changes (Hal9000)
This is Version 4 of this project.
(The only difference between versions 3 and 4 is to take advantage of Burbin revising his work on compositing Shamook’s deepfaked footage of Tarkin and Leia to take advantage of superior source material provided by Shamook.)
I love Rogue One. It’s honestly the most visceral fun I’ve had in the theater in the past few years. It was the first Star Wars film not to have me feel apprehensive, being the first spinoff film. It was ‘extra credit,’ and so I felt free to enjoy the good and not be bothered by parts that didn’t work as well. This edit is in recognition that a few tweaks would help the film, though.
This fan edit is largely a diet version of DigModification’s own Rogue One fan edit. But, since I made it for myself, may as well share it in case it would hit the spot for anyone else.
5.1 DTS audio (thanks to ChainsawAsh)
5.1 640kbps AC3 audio
English, Spanish, and French subtitles (Spanish provided by Burbin)
(No title crawl has been contrived, location labels have been left alone, and no feathered wipe transitions have been employed.)
- Used opening logos and title cards from The Last Jedi, replacing zoomed out versions used originally.
- Used deepfake work of pioneering YouTubers to enhance the visual FX for Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia’s apperances (OriginalTrilogy.com user Burbin has stitched together workable source material for this, drawing from the work of YouTube deepfake ‘practitioner’ Shamook.)
- Borrowed a shot TM2YC modified to offset a shot that centered on a glass of blue milk.
- Removed introductory scenes to Cassian and Bobdi. We cut from Jyn in prison to the jailbreak. We then meet the other main characters as she does. (Wobani label moved to establishing shot of transport)
- Removed showing the audience Cassian’s instructions to kill Galen Erso. By removing this conversation as well as its reiteration in a later scene, it adds weight to Jyn’s comment about trust going both ways and keeps the audience in Jyn’s perspective.
- Removed other Bohdi scenes until the band of heroes meet him in the dungeon of Saw Gerrera.
- Removed a line from Cassian en route to Jedha that felt out of place (thanks to DigModification for audio)
- Muted a line from K2 to let silence make for better humor.
- Removed announcement on Jedha about the missing cargo pilot.
- Removed the cringe-inducing cameo from Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba.
- Removed a cutaway to Jyn and Cassian to show Baze mowing down troopers in one unbroken shot.
- As Krennic prepares to execute the scientists, removed line, “Fire!”
- Trimmed Bohdi’s hesitation in assigning the new makeshift crew a callsign when pulling away from the Rebel base.
- Removed a redundant line as Jyn notes they are trapped on the surface of Scarif.
- Modified R2-D2’s red/blue light to match its style of appearance in ANH (FX by Burbin)
- Removed Jyn’s line to Krennic, “You know who I am,” as he appeared sincerely not to.
Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.