At first I didn’t really enojoy the movie. After watching it some more times, I’m getting to accept it, even if I still don’t like Palpatine’s return because of how it weakens Anakin’s sacrifice and, most importantly, him being the Chosen One. Plus, the plot is generally a videogame-like sequence of events. “Oh, we have to search this thing so that we can find that thing so that we can find that planet”.
But I’ll work with what I have.
- Color correction. I HATE colors in this movie. Everything is blue: Exegol, Kijimi, the opening with Finn and Poe, the Star Destroyers’ interiors. I want more diversity. Exegol will be more black and grey, just as the Star Destroyers.
- Added music tracks. I’ve started working with Audacity, and even though it’s not perfect I think it can be used to isolate voices and replace music tracks when needed. Update: I can’t do much with this. Even though Audacity has the feature “Isolate vocals”, that’s pretty much useless here.
- New crawl. No mention of Palpatine, but infos about Rey being tormented by visions fueled by her bond with Kylo.
- Movie starts as the original. Mustafar and Exegol. But Palpatine does not order Kylo to kill Rey. He WANTS Rey. Let’s try to make it all easier than Palpatine wanting Rey first (when she was born), then Kylo and then Rey again.
- Color correcter Exegol. Now it’s grey-black.
- Cut out the entire Finn/Poe sequence. Pretty useless. And cutting this makes the opening slower, something which the movie needs.
- Cut Kylo touching Vader’s mask while Rey is training.
- Added small shots during Rey’s vision (Rey and Palpatine’s lightnings, Palpatine’s face from ROTS, etc).
- Added track while Rey and Leia chat.
- Removed the “I will earn Luke’s saber”. Rey just gives Leia the lightsaber.
- Recolored Resistance base interior. I reduced that green-ish tone.
- Added Palpatine’s Fortnite message after Rey asks “What’s the message?”.
- Removed the “Somehow Palpatine’s returned” and “Secrets only the Sith knew” stuff.
- Added short track from ROTS.
- Recolored Star Destroyer’s interior. Reduced blue.
- Trimmed Kylo’s meeting with officials. Removed Boolio. Removed General saying that she likes Kylo’s mask.
- Removed alien child on Pasaana asking Rey who she is.
- Re-added here Kylo touching Vader’s mask. He uses it to connect more easily with Rey.
- Kylo doesn’t say “Palpatine wants you dead”, but only “Palpatine wants you”.
- Removed the “Uuuuh, I’m so evil” shot of Pryde (body in dark, eyes lit).
- Rey does not say that Ochi’s ship reminds her of something.
- Finn does not want to tell ANYTHING to Rey. Yes, he is Force sensitive, but I hated this ridiculous subplot which at the end didn’t bring to anything.
- The Sith Dagger is just a Sith Dagger. It doesn’t affect Rey in any way, because Ochi didn’t murder her parents with it.
- Added second First Order transport with Chewie inside leaving the planet.
- Added short visions to Rey while she Force pulls the transport.
- This triggers her memory. Her parents left her to keep her safe from Palpatine, but she blew their ship up with Force lightning. Added: 1- esplosion effect to her parents’ ship leaving her on Jakku. 2-Lightning effect. -3) Luke saying “You killed him”.
- Aboard Ochi’s ship, Rey (who now remembers that she killed her parents and believes that she killed Chewie too) tells Finn that she had a vision. In the original she goes on saying that the vision is about the Throne of the Sith. Here I cut just at “I had a vision”. Now it looks like she tells Finn that she killed her parents because she saw it.
- Removed the whole “Chewie is alive”. After the Falcon being taken aboard the SD, we return to Ochi’s ship.
- Removed chat about R2 having 3PO’s memory backup. 3PO does not recover his memories. Consequences!
- Removed Rey saying that she remembers things about the day her parents left her.
- Added subtitles and deeper inverted voice to 3PO. He clearly states that the Wayfinder is inside the Emperor’s Throne room in DSII. We don’t hear Finn saying “The Endor system?”. They still need Zori or Babu to translate.
- Restructured Rey-Kylo Force duel. Kylo’s first dialogue works well even with the whole “Rey killed her parents” stuff. He says things like “I pushed you because I needed you to see, who you are”, meaning that Palpatine told him everything, and that she is deeply linked to the Dark Side. Then I changed Kylo’s phrases order. FIRST he says that she remembers more than she says (at which she replies “Don’t!”), then he speaks about her parents (and her reaction is more desperate: “I don’t want this!”). At the end, again, he says “You know why the Emperor’s always wanted you”.
- No Finn/Poe chat about what Finn wanted to tell Rey.
- Recolored SD hangar.
- Rey is still a Palpatine. So nothing changed about that. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m a part of the small group of people who LOVED The Last Jedi and “Rey Noone”. But in this first edit I wanted to try keep that twist/retcon.
- Aboard the Falcon, Rey does not say “HE killed my mother and my father, I’m going to kill blablabla”, but “I killed my mother and my father”. At which Finn looks worried and replies “Rey, I know you” and stuff goes on as the original.
- Removed Palpatine Force asking Kylo why Rey is still alive. I get that his plan here is still to have Kylo be his vessel (with Rey dead) and that his plan changes only after Kylo gets redeemed (he clearly says “The Princess of Alderaan disrupted my plans”). But his whole plan is just confusing.
- No ridiculous Sith Dagger having the shape of the Death Star wreckage. They already know where the Wayfinder is.
- No Maz being Captain Obvious about what Leia is going to do.
- Added ROTS music tracks during Rey and Kylo’s duel.
- Leia’s body disappears just after Han’s vision/memory (hinting that she did that).
- No Star Destroyer blowing Kijimi. These are normal Destroyers. No superlaser. They are a huge fleet, that’s scary enough.
- Finn and Poe still talk about D-O being the droid of Ochi and the stuff about them going to Exegol. After all we know that Ochi is a Sith loyalist (3PO said that in Pasaana’s underground cave). But no mention of him having to bring Rey to Exegol. The information is still important because they can link D-O to Resistance systems and study an attack plan.
- Removed Luke saying that a Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect. That’s just “Oh, look, TLJ sucked because of that scene”.
- No Luke or Leia always knowing about Rey Palpatine. Luke knows it NOW, because he is a Force ghost and so he can know stuff.
- Color corrected Ach-To.
- Trimmed 3PO translating R2 to hide the fact that he restored his memory. For example, he calls Luke just “Luke” and not “Master Luke”, because he doesn’t know who Luke is.
- No Holdo maneuver mention. Every connection in this movie with TLJ feels like two things: “Oh, look how bad TLJ was”, OR “Look, audience who enjoyed TLJ, we are talking about THAT thing! Happy now?”.
- Addes ROTS short track during the first act of Exegol’s battle.
- Palpatine says to Rey “Your anger… you want to kill me, like your parents! That is what I want!”.
- No chat about her parents being strong. Considering that she’s the one who killed them I’d keep their presence the shortest possible.
- Masked lightsabers to make them look blue even though I reduced it on Exegol.
- No Poe saying that every Destroyer’s cannon destroyed is a world saved.
- No Poe saying to Zori “You’ve made it!”, because Kijimi is still there.
- Recolored Palpatine’s Force drain. Maybe green? To hint that is some Nightsisters’ power?
- Added subtle presence of Anakin’s Force ghost during the final act of battle. I masked him raising his arm to Force choke Padme, and it kinda looks like he’s the one repelling Palpy’s lightning. It doesn’t look really good, but for a V1 I’ll keep it.
- No Rey-Kylo kissing. I LOVED Rogue One’s ending, where Jin and Cassian clearly had feelings for each other, but they didn’t need to express it like that.
- No Maz giving Chewie Han’s medal.
- Added Kylo and Anakin’s ghosts at the end (taken from that YouTube video that was posted somewhere).
I’m not sure this edit will make the movie better, but I’m sure that with other edits we will be able to come out with something watchable. I just hope this can give someone else ideas.
CHOSEN ONE - A STAR WARS STORY (3-in-1 prequels).
Personal saga: I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. III - RISE OF THE DARK SIDE. IV - THE HEIR OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Just look for them around here, and PM me for links if interested.