logo Sign In

2001: The Monolith Set (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Some of you know, some of you don’t that I’ve had a 2001 project in the works for some time…after numerous delays due to real life, job-hunting, computer crashes, and moving/packing/unpacking, I am finally able to announce the near completion of this project…so, with no further ado…

Devilman-1369 presents

A Simple Tricks & Nonsense Production

2001: A Space Odyssey - The Monolith Set

disc 1 will be

Wish You Were Here: A Space Odyssey featuring Echoes Beyond the Infinite

Similar in concept to Dark Side of the Rainbow (aka Dark Side of Oz), this lesser known synchronicity blends 2001: A Space Odyssey with the sounds of Pink Floyd’s album Wish You Were Here…believe me when I tell you, it synchs up beautifully

Along the same lines, the Pink Floyd song Echoes, synchs up perfectly with Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite, the last segment of 2001.

So, here’s the plan:

Audio track 1 will be Wish You Were Here all the way through.
Audio track 2 will be Wish You Were Here, and will fade into Echoes at the start of the Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite sequence

disc 2 will be

2001: A Space Odyssey - North/Goldsmith Score

I recently acquired a copy of the original Alex North score as recorded by Jerry Goldsmith and will soon have the intended in/out queues for those tracks (many thanks bigrob)

Currently planning 2 audio tracks for this disc; one being a music only track & the other will have the cast dialogue, but replace the existing score with the North/Goldsmith score

NOTE: I’ve decided not< to include the official audio from 2001 on this release at all. Since no changes were made to the film itself, and the official DVD is rather barebones in the first place, I feel that distributing the DVD with the unaltered film/audio track would be considered piracy, and would kick my project out of the lovely legal gray-area that we fan editors love to reside in.

Of course there will be SL & DL versions, as well as custom menus, chapter stops…etc

Disc 1 is complete, but Disc 2 has been scrapped…contact me if you would like to make this one yourself, and i’ll happily forward you the soundtrack & notes that i have

ANYBODY WANT TO HELP?

If anybody has any documentaries about 2001 (specifically something detailing the North/Goldsmith score), or any documentaries about Pink Floyd specifically detailing the synchronization “phenomenon”, or anything else that you feel might be a valid supplement to this set, please contact me

I haven’t created any art for this project yet. If anyone is feeling creative, and wants to design cover/menu art for this project, please email me - Devilman1369 (at) gmail.com

The intent here is to make this a 2-disc supplement to go along with the official DVD of 2001. If anybody wants to take a stab at cover art, i’m looking for 7 total variants:

1. Replacement cover art for the official 2001 DVD
2. Cover art for Wish You Were Here
3. Cover art for the North/Goldsmith edit
4. Replacement cover art for the official 2010 DVD

5. Cover art for a 4-disk case detailing the 4 discs stated above (for those that wish to conserve shelf space)

6. Cover art for a 3-disk case (for those that deny the existance of 2010, yet still want to conserve shelf space)

7. Cover art for a 2-disk case detailing just the 2 that i’m working on

All submissions will get full credit on the DVDs. If I get enough submissions, I’ll add a fan-art gallery to one of the discs as well

Author
Time

my bad. i forgot to include the photocopied notes from the cd booklet. it explains the track in deatil and where it goes in the film.
devilman, email me at bobilcous@yahoo.co.uk and give me your email address again and i'll send them to you this weekend.

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
bigrob to the rescue!!!!!

this will definately change the face of this project, so i'm going to split it into a 2-disc set.

Disc 1 will be the Floyd synchronicity mentioned above

Disc 2 will be 2001 with the original North/Goldsmith score. i'm thinking of 2 audio tracks for this; one being music only, and the other using the North/Goldsmith to replace the existing score, but still retain the dialogue & sound effects.

Author
Time

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DDAAAYY!!!!

Author
Time
Sounds cool!!

2010???

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time
Well where the hell did you come from???

Lol, seriously though, this'll have to make me rethink what is so far my life's magnum opus. I'm glad I caught this in time.

Just for fun, if you want to let me know where I can start WYWH to see for myself how it looks as a sync that'd be great. I was gonna use a bunch of their old music from Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother

And how do u plan to leave in the cast dialogue with the alex north music? is it because there's virtually no dialogue ever spoken or sound effects ever used with the music?

Spaced Out - A Stoner Odyssey (five minute sneak peek)

Author
Time
2001: A Space Odyssey - The Monolith Set "Prototype"

http://home.comcast.net/~tk420/2001_tester_sample.jpg

Devilman-1369,
Before I went any further with the design (like adding text and such) I wanted to be sure that the stars would show up so I printed up a demo cover and when printed on glossy photo paper you can see the stars in the background and the Monolith stands out. I thing I'll put this to the side until all the details of the set are final

Author
Time
Rik, again, i love that image. can you email me a hi-res version?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Rikter
Sounds cool!!

2010???

yeah...for completeist sake

gotta include it even though it doesn't even hold a candle to the original...don't really like it but still gotta have it...you know, like a certain trilogy of prequels
Author
Time
Originally posted by: PaulisDead2221

And how do u plan to leave in the cast dialogue with the alex north music? is it because there's virtually no dialogue ever spoken or sound effects ever used with the music?

exactly...since the existing score is practically a standalone element in the movie anyways, it shouldn't prove too difficult to swap it out with the North/Goldsmith score
Author
Time
Just copied and pasted the text & pics i put on the other thread as i realised
I posted in the wrong section
sorry guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/sky_uk/Random/20012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/sky_uk/Random/20011.jpg

hi guys been away a longtime
Long story not gonna go into it
but anyway these are my versions as you can see not finished yet

Tried to do something different
so I made Hal into a Monolith lol

let me know if you like them
so ill continue with the covers

sky

Star Wars Deleted Scenes Restored

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE

Author
Time
here's a couple of images that i've been toying with:

this was originally done by a friend of mine & was used as the Philcon Flyer - i've tweaked it ever so slightly

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20060525/11/9/0/f/90f7768069b1ac813f6d0a445f5c798d200605250_full.jpg

this is the cover for the novel 2010 - i've always loved this image, and intend to incorporate it into this project somewhere...i'm not sure if i'll use it for 2010, or borrow it for one of my 2001 discs

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20060525/11/a/c/e/ace1b5cf0cca7142796ad2cd14b07441200605250_full.jpg
Author
Time
These are some fun covers!

Anyone know where I can get some jet-black photo paper?

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
It really does look cool when printed you can see the stars and the monolith stands out

Author
Time

Devilman, those notes were posted yesterday along with a second copy of the CD

Author
Time
***QUICK UPDATE***

The girlfriend & the room mate both have to work this holiday weekend & i don't...with any luck, disk 1 should be DONE by tuesday, and disc 2 should be ready to do as soon as i get bigrob's package in the mail

again, if anyone has any 2001 documentaries, or anything else that might make a good extra feature for this project, NOW IS THE TIME TO CONTACT ME!!!!

thanks again to all who are helping/supporting this project
Author
Time
Wish you were here works so well! In your paticular sync, does that electronic twang in Welcome to the Machine perfectly sync up with the Jump-cut to the future, or does it occur a tad early?

And in your Echoes sync, do you sync the title card "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" with the first or third ping? I've heard it done both ways.

Spaced Out - A Stoner Odyssey (five minute sneak peek)

Author
Time
Originally posted by: MeBeJedi
These are some fun covers!

Anyone know where I can get some jet-black photo paper?

LMFAO!!!!!
Author
Time
Sounds fantastic. I will definatley be wantinga copy when it's done.

I made my own little "edit" with just the Echoes for Beyond the Infinite. The rest is the same. Pretty bland for an "edit".
Looking forward to seeing this one!

My stance on revising fan edits.

Author
Time

this is just an idea.

Disc one

2001 with wish you were here soundtrack

disc two

2001 with alex north score then it fades into echos. since the alex north score covers the first of half the film.

Author
Time
Why not just have multiple soundtracks?

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
***UPDATE***

Disk 1 - Wish You Were Here: A Space Odyssey featuring Echoes Beyond The Infinite

is complete, burn-tested & ready to ship.

please email me (devilman1369@gmail.com) with your shipping address if you want a copy
Author
Time

just got disc one from devilman and it is looking good! haven't had chaance to watch it yet but i will post a review when i get round to it!

Author
Time
Don't know if this is the thread for this but... I heard a rumor of a 2001 SE DVD coming in the fall. As well as other classic Kubrick titles. Anyone know anything about this?