logo Sign In

1997 Star Wars Special Edition 35mm Project (a WIP) — Page 8

Author
Time

If you have donated and would like to see reel6, please bounce me a PM.
I am using Resilio Sync, you can download it here:
https://www.resilio.com/individuals/
Be aware that the smallest files will be 4GB, and also that others in the group will be able to see whatever name you choose on Resilio Sync, and possibly also your device/computer name.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

As a guy that grew up going to the dollar theater on Friday’s and watching beat up prints that had been run who knows how many times, I can say that this seems entirely watchable as it is 😃.

Luke threw twice…maybe.

Author
Time

If only I wasn’t broke, this really seems right up my alley in terms of projects to help with. Oh, well.

Author
Time

I will donate as soon as i got my loan. 😃

Author
Time

poita said:

If you have donated and would like to see reel6, please bounce me a PM.
I am using Resilio Sync, you can download it here:
https://www.resilio.com/individuals/
Be aware that the smallest files will be 4GB, and also that others in the group will be able to see whatever name you choose on Resilio Sync, and possibly also your device/computer name.

Sorry in advance if my computer name is a racial slur for wookies, I don’t mean to offend. I’m just in it for the memes boiz. Again, sorry to any Walking Carpets or Fuzballs out there.

Luke astro-projects himself to Salt Lake Planet, gets shot at by gorilla walkers, has a non-lightsaber duel with Darth Millennial, then dies of a broken heart, inspiring broom boys throughout the galaxy to get creative with their sweeping. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

To the people downloading the files, if you can leave your machine on for a bit, it helps with my bandwidth.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

KillThad said:

If only I wasn’t broke, this really seems right up my alley in terms of projects to help with. Oh, well.

I’m not sure anyone here is as broke as I am right now 😃
I’m in hock getting Reel6 done.

Reel6 looks good, I swear if I start watching the trench-run sequence, I always end up watching it to the end. It still absorbs me and gets the heart racing even after all these years and all these viewings. There is something magical about it.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped make this possible, I have already found over 120 frames that are sorely needed for the Original Trilogy restoration, so this is going to help a lot with that project as well.

Author
Time

poita said:

Thanks again to everyone that has helped make this possible, I have already found over 120 frames that are sorely needed for the Original Trilogy restoration, so this is going to help a lot with that project as well.

That is great! so glad that this is helping with the other restoration as well.

Author
Time

The Death Star is closing in…

Is that hair loose again? Tell me the truth? If it won’t stay put they will replace me with CGI Tarkin.

I should have probably done this before we left…

How come Vader gets the cool ship?

Did I leave the oven on?

Oh crap!

Good, now I have the Princess all to myself.

I’m gonna blow up your Death Star

Oh no you’re not!

Oh yes he is!

Uh-Oh!

Go left… No, your left!

Author
Time

“Enjoying your moment of triumph? I had a perfectly good spaceship, all ready to go, but noooooo…Overestimating their chances you said…”

That’s it, I’m outta here.

Pew pew!

I can totally see where the other ones impacted on the surface from up here.

There’s still time…

Bum.

Author
Time

Totally platonic hug!

Grrrooowwwr! I want a medal too!

Author
Time

It’s good to see you in a good mood Poita. 😃

Author
Time

Yeah, I’m usually such a surly girly.

Author
Time

I’d prolly donate if I had more money to throw around, but money’s always tight and around December it’s usually at its tightest. But when it’s all done and manages to make its way out into the world, I’ll try to make myself useful.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

Whenever anyone can spare a dollar or two it is much appreciated, I know how difficult it is this time of year, with 4 kids aged from 4 to 17 😃

I’ve gone a bit deep into the red on this one.

Molly you have a PM.

Author
Time

poita said:

https://we.tl/xoFkz8F0uv

Last public video, its about 1GB in size, above is a shot from it.

You can really see how inconsistent the SE was shot to shot, both in the grade and the image quality. This has not been colour corrected.
It’s obvious why the home releases had a total overhaul.

That preview looks GREAT!

It’s also easy to identify the digital scenes as they have distinctive framing (cropped left and right compared to other scenes). That certainly confirms what we believed that the entire film was not from a digital intermediate.

[ Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time

Amazing previews right here.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For this entire edit replace the audio so use all of this of course ask for permission
For a new hope ask Harmy if you could use Harmy respecalized audio track
For empire make your own using harmys despecialized 2.0 and the Blu-Ray
For Jedi use Harmy despecialized 2.5 and the Blu-ray

Do it So the audio doesn’t sound bad

Author
Time
 (Edited)

HerekittykittyX said:

For this entire edit replace the audio so use all of this of course ask for permission
For a new hope ask Harmy if you could use Harmy respecalized audio track
For empire make your own using harmys despecialized 2.0 and the Blu-Ray
For Jedi use Harmy despecialized 2.5 and the Blu-ray

Do it So the audio doesn’t sound bad

Um…no.

First off, Harmy used the theatrical 1977 audio. This is the 1997 Special Edition. They don’t sync.

Second off, Poita is using the theatrical DTS audio - as in, the exact same audio you would have heard in a theater with DTS sound instead of Dolby in 1997 - which is by many accounts the best-sounding mix of Star Wars out there, SE changes notwithstanding.

JEDIT: Just saw that you said “Respecialized.” For that, Harmy used the 1997 Laserdisc Dolby Digital audio. If I’m not mistaken, the DTS discs that Poita is using are higher quality and are already designed to sync to the film reels he’s using. Plus, they’re the same mix as the LD audio Harmy used.

Author
Time

I’m not sure the samples have the DTS audio (I doubt it actually), however the cinema DTS is available.

Author
Time

I was under the impression Poita was using them specifically because they were easy to sync to the reels.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

How did they manage to screw up this wonderful color for the Blu-ray?!

I agree, but the colors still seem a bit on the washed out side, with some weird green and blue hues, but this is miles ahead of the blu-ray, and don’t even get me started on the DVD. Over-saturated colors, ugly pink/purple hues everywhere on the level of the teals/greens in the Blade Runner Final Cut bad, skin tones that look like decades old taffy, crushed blacks and de-noising that removes detail, etc. Aside from the odd few hues and the slightly washed out colors I always thought the '97 version was a pretty nice restoration (with the exception of the changes of course).

Luke astro-projects himself to Salt Lake Planet, gets shot at by gorilla walkers, has a non-lightsaber duel with Darth Millennial, then dies of a broken heart, inspiring broom boys throughout the galaxy to get creative with their sweeping. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

I was under the impression Poita was using them specifically because they were easy to sync to the reels.

Not really, as long as the sound-head is connected to the scanner the optical audio will be in sync when scanned (obviously with errors at splices).